Mothering Forum banner

Birth Predictions versus Actual Birth Day

989 views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  nsmomtobe 
#1 ·
DoulaJulian posted this in the Birth Announcements thread and I thought it was a really good question. How did your birth predictions match up to reality?

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...th+predictions

My prediction:

Quote:
Due Date: December 6th
Predicted date of Delivery: November 30th (39 weeks 1 day)
Length of Labor: 4-5 hours
Baby # for you: 3
Baby's weight: 9 lbs 2 oz
Baby's height: 21.5 inches
I was pretty close. Actual birth day was 1 day later, December 1st. Labor was about 5 hours 45ish minutes. Everett weighed 9 lbs 1 oz and was 21.5 inches long. I got baby length right on.

See less See more
#2 ·
I expected early--16 Dec. She was born on 25 Dec (due date 26 Dec).

I totally expected a boy (we didn't find out ahead of time) and she was a girl.

I expected a shorter labor than I got. Ended up being about 10 hours.

Didn't guess about weight but was not surprised by a 9 lb baby.

She was full of surprises! So much for mother's intuition!

#3 ·
Due date: December 19ish
Predicted date of Delivery: I was feeing the 14the and 11th, now that I'm battling PTL, I'm praying for the first of December, at least!! December 24
Length of Labor: 14 hours-my first stage is long, second and third S.H.O.R.T.! If you count Latent, then 36 hours, if just active-birth, 5.5
Baby # for you: 4
Baby's weight: 6 lbs, 2oz 8lbs 12 oz
Baby's height: 19 inches 21.5 inches

I was WRONG! I also thought he was a she, even after the ultrasound confirmed boy parts. My intuition is way off. It used to be scary correct...I wonder what changed!

#4 ·
Due Date: 17th December
Predicted date of Delivery: I'm manifesting labour beginning after bedtime on the 23rd, baby out at some point before daylight on Christmas Eve.
Length of Labor: see above. A bit slower this time would be nice, though.
Baby # for you:5
Baby's weight: under 8lbs
Baby's height:20" or thereabouts.

I was two days out on the date, but right with an overnight labour. Miles off on his weight- I was convinced he was my smallest baby right up until the end and he's not- 9lb 2 at birth- and whilst we haven't had his height measured yet he doesn't look that diddy.

#5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by doclegs View Post
Boy, this is a toughie but I'll play along too.

Due Date: 12/20/09
Predicted date of Delivery: 12/25/09 (because I think she's going to just show up because Mommy and Daddy have "Christmas"-type names)
Length of Labor: .... ummm.... 13 hours?
Baby # for you: #1
Baby's weight: 7lbs, 6 oz
Baby's height: 22 inches
Wow... the only thing I got close to was her height! We went on 12/21, labored 37 hours, and she was 6lb, 5oz and 20 in long.

#6 ·
Due Date: 12/25
Predicted date of Delivery: 12/24 even though I usually go late. She was born 12/27
Length of Labor: 6 hours which is about average for me. About 8 hours
Baby # for you: 4
Baby's weight: 7 lbs 15 oz. My DD was smaller than my 2DS and this is another girl. She was 9 lbs 3 oz!
Baby's height: 20" I got this right!

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
Due Date: 17th December
Predicted date of Delivery: I'm manifesting labour beginning after bedtime on the 23rd, baby out at some point before daylight on Christmas Eve.
Length of Labor: see above. A bit slower this time would be nice, though.
Baby # for you:5
Baby's weight: under 8lbs
Baby's height:20" or thereabouts.

I was two days out on the date, but right with an overnight labour. Miles off on his weight- I was convinced he was my smallest baby right up until the end and he's not- 9lb 2 at birth- and whilst we haven't had his height measured yet he doesn't look that diddy.
Apparently you were channeling my labor, this is exactly what happened. Water broke 7:40 on the 23, labor got going around 12:00 and he was born at 5:35 Christmas Eve. That's a little spooky, Helen.

#8 ·
Due date: Dec 1

Predicted date of Delivery: Nov 23
This was right

Length of Labor: 4 hours or so, not including false labour if it happens again.
Total labour time was 7 hours, though I would say the last 3 or so felt like active labour

Baby's weight: 6lbs 8oz
Way off -- he was 5lbs 14oz

Baby's height: I never pay attention to this... I'll say 18 inches.
Once again, I paid no attention. I think they said 50-something cms long, so I might have been close.

#9 ·
Predicted date of Delivery: Nov 17th or Dec 4/5th
delivery date was off, Dec 14th!

Length of Labor: 8 hours, water birth
close, it was 6 hours

Baby's weight: 8-9lbs +
right on, 9lbs 4 ounces

Baby's height: whatever is in the 95%.. every man in my family is near giant, the short men start at 6ft tall and its the same on my DH side..
also right on

#10 ·
Quote:
Due Date: Dec. 24
Predicted date of Delivery: Nov. 30 (way too early, especially for me but I had a dream and that's the date I got...same happened with DD1 and I was a few days off [past the date] so we shall see).
Length of Labor: 5 hours
Baby # for you: 3
Baby's weight: under 7 lbs. DD1 was 6 lbs 10 oz and DD2 was 6 lbs 13 oz.
Baby's height: no idea....DD1 was 20ish and DD2 was 18.5. I'm expecting short.
Was one day off on the birth date, 30 minutes off on labour amount, and was correct for all my vaugeness on height and weight.
Not added on there but I was 11 minutes off on birth time. I was oddly "on" this time around.

#11 ·
Due Date: December 1st
Predicted date of Delivery: December 2nd popped into my head just now, though possibly because I was questioning my original answer of December 1st. I've told him he's allow to come any time after Thanksgiving, but I'd sort of prefer a December birth date. November 21st. I thought I'd mentioned that the other date my mom and I both had in our heads was November 22nd, but it's not here so I guess I don't get credit for my one and only close guess!

Length of Labor: 8 hours 21 hours

Baby # for you: 1 Well, at least he was still my first....
Baby's weight: 8 pounds 6 ounces 7 pounds 10 ounces
Baby's height: 20.5 inches 18.5 inches...these last two guesses might have been different if I'd thought he might come early!

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by NSmomtobe View Post
Due Date: December 30
Predicted date of Delivery: January 1
Length of Labor: 12 hours
Baby # for you: 1
Baby's weight: 8 lbs 3 oz
Baby's height: 21 inches
Actual date of delivery: January 3. I was close. I was quite sure all along that I would have a January baby. I was hoping for January 1st, and my contractions started on December 31st, so I really thought I would deliver on the first, but early labour dragged on and on without progressing to active labour.

Length of labour: Given the above, I am not sure how to time this. It was about 15 hours from the time that my water broke though.

Baby's weight: 7 lbs 11 oz - smaller than I expected!
Baby's height: 21 in (right on!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.