WEEKLY RAMBLE/CHAT for JAN 3rd-9th - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 102 Old 01-09-2010, 03:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well I got my first smile today and I caught the second one on camera! http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...b&id=516671018

I so wish I had people to go hiking with, I would love the motivation and the company. I really want to get back into my pants, I'm getting so sick of my 1 pair of maternity jeans.

I'm getting ready for our first visit out to the IL's tomorrow in over a month. Wish me luck. I'm considered a selfish bitch for wanting to hold my own son....go figure.

knit.gifsewmachine.gifintactivist.giftreehugger.gif mama to one DS and one DD, equally amazing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 102 Old 01-09-2010, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

So cute Sara!

Cloud - be sure when he's coming in to nurse that you have him angled with his chin towards you and the rest of his face tilted slightly back. This will help get more of the bottom areola in.

Di Linh, mama to DS1 (7), DD(4), DS2 (b 12/01/09)
#93 of 102 Old 01-10-2010, 02:22 AM

I'm chiming in late.
Name: Christine and Elliot

I'm just all around miserable. I'm having oversupply issues (pretty sure that's what it is) and I still feel like I haven't bonded with my little girl. I'm worried I'm sliding into a depression.
Elli projectile vomits gigantic amounts of milk at times and my boobs get engorged really quickly. We fit most of the criteria for oversupply. I'm trying block feeding but I'm not sure if I am doing it right. It makes me feel so inadequate.
She has actually been a pretty easy baby so far. I just don't feel any love yet. I feel so guilty because of it. Everything just seems so hard and I feel so hopeless a lot of the time. I keep wondering how I am going to get through all this. Will it ever get better?
I'm just so consumed with guilt and worry.

On top of it I have hemorrhoids that are really bothering me. I have already lost all of my pregnancy weight, which worries me, too. I am eating though.
I'm sorry about my depressing post... I just don't know what to do anymore. I thought I would feel so much more joyful.

Wife to Matt, Mama to DD Elliot (12/31/09). We familybed1.giffemalesling.GIFgoorganic.jpghomebirth.jpgcd.giffly-by-nursing1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif
#94 of 102 Old 01-10-2010, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evinmom View Post
Mana - Dairy usually takes 3 weeks to leave your system, so it'd give the elimination 3-4 weeks. You have to cut out all forms of cow's milk protein. Any process foods containing whey and casein are also off limits.
ooo, i had no idea it was 3 to 4 !

yeah, kelly mom has a list of all the various forms of milk protein in processed food:

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...y.html#protein

and select hidden dairy sheet.......

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

#95 of 102 Old 01-10-2010, 02:40 AM - Thread Starter

BIG Christine Please talk to your healthcare provider about possible PPD.

I can identify with the crazy oversupply (past 2 times) and reflux (all 3 babies, but first projectile vomited all the time).

Block feeding - Each feeding try nursing only 1 side at a time. If baby pulls off and then wants to eat again, offer the same boob. The other one will feel uncomfortable. Try to resist pumping. You can self express to relieve a little of the discomfort. If your oversupply is really excessive you may have to offer same breast two sessions in a row like this.

Get yourself some Sage or Parsley capsules and tea. I've used Sage tea but don't know if they make Parsley tea. I used both herbs in capsule form. Take every day until your supply levels out.

If you are really desperate you can take Sudafed or an antihistamine for a short time. Either will help reduce supply.

When my supply was really bad in the past, I had to take the herbs and block feed for several weeks before things improved. Fortunately this time around block feeding worked after a couple of weeks. Until I started pumping that is. Now I'm uncomfortable again when I can't pump. I also took Benedryl a couple of days for post partum hives. My supply level off overnight after the 2nd Benedryl dosage.

#96 of 102 Old 01-10-2010, 12:27 PM

Christine, don't be sorry. I'm so glad you said the iyou are feeling instead of ignoring them until they are unmanagable. Please, do talk to your health care provider. In the mean time, are you taking any vitamins? To combat depression I take large ammounts of vitamin B and Cod Liver Oil on top of my prenatals. If you;'d like to know more about it, or just talk, pm me.

Having a baby is hard. Sometimes bonding takes months. Just know tht it will happen. With my third, I told dh I didn't love him like he was mine, more like he was a friend's baby. Spend time with her, make time for yourself and remember that the love and joy will come...it's okay for it to take time.

Mandy, Jesus loving, homebirthing, cloth diapering, baby wearing, breastfeeding, non-vaxing, food growing, homeschooling, hippy mama of 4.
#97 of 102 Old 01-10-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happybunny View Post
I'm just all around miserable.
{{{hugs}}} Don't be sorry .... that's what this forum is here for! Just huge hugs, it's a process and sounds like yours has just been much harder than others. I have nothing to add to the advice the others have given, just to re-iterate to reach out to others about the PPD and try to find a little time to rest in your day.

Living Angel Baby Born 12/21/09
Three angels watching over us.
#98 of 102 Old 01-10-2010, 02:18 PM

Christine!! I am so sorry you are not feeling well. I too had really bad hemorrhoids after birth and was very uncomfortable... I did not go anywhere or do anything for so many days and really felt better after even a short walk to the mailbox. I agree w/pp about taking prenatal vitamins too. Awww, I feel so bad for you and wish there was more support for new moms! It is a lonely thing...

If you want to sound wise, go to school. If you want to be wise, go to nature.
My 3 sons! 8/92, 1/97 & 12/09!!
#99 of 102 Old 01-10-2010, 04:07 PM

Thanks everyone! I have been fighting depression for a long time, trying lots of different natural remedies. Nothing seemed to ever really work for me. Over the last couple of days I've come to the realization that I shouldn't resist taking medication any longer. I will definitely talk to my HCP.

Mandy, I take CLO and B-Vitamins, they do help with my energy level.

Di Linh, thank you for your suggestions! Elliot only nurses a few minutes at a time, so I am offering the same breast for several hours. When it is time to switch sides it is hard to get her to latch, because I am engorged. I found that it helps when I nurse her in a reclined position, with her laying on my chest. It seems to slow down the flow of milk and she has an easier time latching. It appears to be working, but only time will tell. I will try Sage capsules if the block feeding doesn't help within the next few days.

I just feel like nothing is going smoothly. My home birth ended in a transfer, I have a really hard time bonding, breastfeeding has been difficult, I am feeling depressed, etc.

Wife to Matt, Mama to DD Elliot (12/31/09). We familybed1.giffemalesling.GIFgoorganic.jpghomebirth.jpgcd.giffly-by-nursing1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif
#100 of 102 Old 01-10-2010, 06:26 PM

Christine. With my first baby I felt like the first six weeks were boot camp. Hang in there.
#101 of 102 Old 01-10-2010, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Christine, are you seeing a counselor or have considered seeing one? It sounds like in addition to the bonding and breastfeeding issues, you may need to work through the loss of your birth experience as well.

You sound a lot like me when I had my first. I had spent 13 months straight being pregnant because of a second trimester lost of my first baby. I really wanted to give birth in a birth center, but with all the stress my pregnancy went terribly wrong at 26 weeks. I ended up in pre-term labor, spent a week in the hospital, was transfered to the birth center's backup OB practice, and finally was sent home afterward to strict bedrest with a terbutaline pump for 10 weeks. This threw all of my birth plans out the window. In a twist of irony my pregnancy ended with an pitocin augmentation at 38 weeks for pre-eclampsia. I really mourned the loss of my "perfect birth."

By the second day of Gavin's life, I realized that he wasn't latching right. My milk had come in and like you I had an overabundant supply. This made Gavin's latch issues worse. He lost so much weight his first two weeks of life despite syringe and cup feedings. We were seen by 2 lactation consultants, 2 LLL leaders, and a few pediatricians. No one could help us. No one realized at that time that Gavin had a posterior tongue tie. I felt so hopeless and thought I had already failed miserably as a mother. I started pumping exclusively and trying to latch Gavin whenever I had time. It was exhausting pumping and feeding. Then the reflux started. Along with that came the constant screaming. Thankfully he was a good sleeper (probably from exhaustion), but when he was awake I always felt inadequate. Apparently so did my husband who also slipped into a deep depression. Fatherhood was nothing like he thought it would be. He drifted further from us and I was suddenly all alone dealing with a high needs baby I couldn't mother "right." We had family nearby, but no one was helpful, just meddlesome.

I bonded with Gavin right away, but I also had tremendous mother guilt and resentment. I felt resentment toward our family who couldn't offer me the kind of support I desperately needed. I resented my husband who had emotionally abandoned me and our son. I even resented Gavin on occasion.

Seeing a counselor really helped. So did attending LLL meetings and joining a playgroup of new moms. When I was finally able to forge a new support network, I started to feel better. I don't know what I would have done if it wasn't for the ladies at LLL who cheered me on for exclusively pumping and not giving up on trying to offer my baby breastmilk despite the hardships. I would have been lost without my new mother friends who reassured me that I wasn't alone or a bad mother. Most importantly having the objective, non-judmental ear of a counselor helped put everything into perspective.

Things won't be like this forever. There is always sunshine at the end of every storm. I hope you are able to find something that helps you feel better soon.

#102 of 102 Old 01-10-2010, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by happybunny View Post
I'm chiming in late.
Name: Christine and Elliot

I'm just all around miserable. I'm having oversupply issues (pretty sure that's what it is) and I still feel like I haven't bonded with my little girl. I'm worried I'm sliding into a depression.
Elli projectile vomits gigantic amounts of milk at times and my boobs get engorged really quickly. We fit most of the criteria for oversupply. I'm trying block feeding but I'm not sure if I am doing it right. It makes me feel so inadequate.
She has actually been a pretty easy baby so far. I just don't feel any love yet. I feel so guilty because of it. Everything just seems so hard and I feel so hopeless a lot of the time. I keep wondering how I am going to get through all this. Will it ever get better?
I'm just so consumed with guilt and worry.

On top of it I have hemorrhoids that are really bothering me. I have already lost all of my pregnancy weight, which worries me, too. I am eating though.
I'm sorry about my depressing post... I just don't know what to do anymore. I thought I would feel so much more joyful.
Oh no! I am so sorry you're having a tough time. It's tough anyway without trouble in the baby/breastfeeding department.

This is my first baby so I can't offer BTDT advice, but block feeding did help tone down my moderate oversupply issues.

I also had HORRIBLE hemorroids PP. I was fine for like a week and then Wham! They were really excruciating, far worse than they were in pregnancy. But after a couple of weeks, they went away. I hope yours do too. Make sure you drinks tons of water and eat fruits and veggies when ever you can.

And don't apologize - this is where we all come to scratch our heads, blubber and vent...

mama to Rassa, born 12/9/09

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page