Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Name:

Baby's age:

Milestones/Updates:

Thoughts:

Questions:

Di Linh, mama to DS1 (7), DD(4), DS2 (b 12/01/09)
#2 of 102 Old 01-04-2010, 03:25 AM

Name: Sara and baby Orin

Baby's age: 4 weeks

Milestones/Updates:
Started trying to hold his head up on day 4 and now can hold it up and look around.

He has little sneezing fits and when he's all done he make THE CUTEST little sound ever, sounds like a tiny baby "ahhhhhh". Omg I just melt into a puddle when I hear it lol.

He sleeps almost through the night right beside me. He's so good at night, he tries to find my boob in the middle of the night and then falls right back asleep when he's done.

Thoughts: Well the inlaws are a complete nightmare but then we all saw that coming didn't we? I cannot stand them and I feel terrible for feeling this way. They wanted Orin's SSN card to 'keep' for us, I said absolutely not. Then they just wanted the number so they could open a savings account for him that we can all put money into (which is very nice I know) but it will be under MIL's name, not one of ours, which I find irritating. I just find that they seem to have a need to control anything they can. Christmas dinner both our parents came over (mine from Canada) and the IL's spent the entire time holding Orin. He was crying and I ended up crying because my hormones were going through the roof and I couldn't even hold my own son. MIL is a hog and I hate it. I have made every excuse in the book now not to have to go visit them but my excuses are running out. She calls like every 2 days to ask how Orin is doing...."is Orin still crying?", "is Orin eating ok?", "is Orin sleeping through the night yet?", "how's my grandson?". God what did I do to deserve dealing with this? I can't stand them at all anymore, I really can't. I wish I knew how to deal with them. I know I should feel/be grateful that Orin's grandparents are soooo involved but I am not. Sorry.

Questions: How do you say to your DH in the nicest way possible that you can't stand his parents? lol.

Also, Orin seems to have little episodes where his eyes roll into the back of his head and he makes little whimpering noises and his body does this weird shake. Is this normal?? It can occur a couple times a day and it happens in his sleep and sometimes when he's awake. It honestly looks like a petite mal seizure and I'm worried.....

ETA: PICS!!!

knit.gifsewmachine.gifintactivist.giftreehugger.gif mama to one DS and one DD, equally amazing.

#3 of 102 Old 01-04-2010, 11:47 AM

Sara--Orin is sooooo cute! Regarding the shaking/eyes rolling, I think newborns do a lot of strange stuff like this, and I'm sure it isn't anything to be worried about. But it might make you feel better just to ask his doctor about it, you know?

Shoot, I forgot to cut and paste the original message, so I'll just fill in what I remember.

Names: Ser and baby Silas

Well shoot, I don't remember what else I'm supposed to write, so I'll just ramble. This is the first time that I have totally, 100 percent enjoyed my babymoon. I've had a few hormonal moments, weeping over silly stuff ("what if I had him in the car since his cord was around his neck and his shoulder got stuck?" etc.) but this is the first time that I don't feel totally exhausted and overwhelmed. I guess the third time is a charm.

Silas is really easy so far, although my second got really fussy from two weeks until 3 months, so I'm suspending judgment. So far, though, Silas is quite content to be nursed regularly, put down to sleep, he has some nice peaceful quiet alert periods during the day. And nights have been great. He'll usually cluster feed in the evenings and then sleep from 8-12, waking every 2 hours after that to nurse (lying beside me). I'm actually getting enough sleep!

My only two complaints: sore nipples and my huge hemorrhoid. I always get a bad hemorrhoid after birth, ever since I pushed during my first birth for 5 hours. But dang, it is annoying and painful! And I always get really, really sore nipples, too, that eventually get better. I just have really sensitive skin, and there seems to be no avoiding it.

Ser, mama to Luke (7) and Henry (4) and gratefully welcoming a new babe in December '09
#4 of 102 Old 01-04-2010, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Sara What Orin is doing sounds like it could be a seizure to me too. I'd definitely get it checked out. I'm sorry to hear that dealing with the in-laws have been rough. It is easier to have DH talk to them, but if he is unwilling you will need to make a stand. It may not go over well, but in the end it will be worth it. Try to phrase it in a gentle, but firm way. She needs to understand you're not going to back down. When it comes to meeting Orin's needs, you and DH are #1 unless you are unavailable. I would not hesitate to walk over and grab the baby back while saying that he needs his mama. I would avoid answering the phone as much as possible. Pretending you are napping whenever she calls. Also, talk to DH about how you appreciate his mother's concerns, but she is overstepping boundaries and it is stressing you out. You as his wife should be his first priority. If he thinks you are over-reacting, assure him you are not as other moms agree 100% with you. He can ask me if he's still doubtful. LOL Hope things get easier.

#5 of 102 Old 01-04-2010, 01:14 PM

Name: Mandy and Levi

Baby's age: 11 days

Milestones/Updates: Levi slept a whole 4 hours last night and went back to sleep after eating. I feel like a new woman.

We went to church as a family and ate at a restaurant for lunch yesterday. It went well!

Thoughts: Things are setting down. It's nice. Dh went back to work, I did school with the kids this morning, we even did chores. Babymoon is over and normal life is on it's way. Honestly I couldn't be happier about it. Oh and I am a HUGE advocate for consuming one's placenta. I know I wouldn't feel this good if it weren't for those stinky little pills. It's definately the most counter-cultural thing I've ever done and I'm so happy I did!

Sara, I would talk to the dr about Orin. What you're describing could be normal or it could be something more. If you feel like it's worth looking into, don't take it lightly. Trust yourself more then anyone else. My 3 older kids all have weird issues that I had to fight everyone (Dr's family, dh) to see because I just *knew* something wasn't quite right.

Mandy, Jesus loving, homebirthing, cloth diapering, baby wearing, breastfeeding, non-vaxing, food growing, homeschooling, hippy mama of 4.
#6 of 102 Old 01-04-2010, 01:44 PM

Sara, keep your phone handy and try and video the episode, if you can.

BBL with an update!

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#7 of 102 Old 01-04-2010, 02:22 PM

Name: carmel and Nico

Baby's age: 3 weeks, 1 day

Milestones/Updates: Nico is such a strong little guy, and big, that it makes it easy to take him out and about, and I'm okay with the kids being around him. He is a solid little guy, with great head control. I can carry him on my hip a bit, with a little elbow for head support. He makes the sweetest sounds, and I am just so in love with this little guy! He likes to watch his brothers and sister, and sleeps well through the noise...

Thoughts: today we made it getting everyone off to school and work. I hope the whole week goes well!
I'm feeling good emotionally... Getting pretty good sleep, and not anxious at all. I was a little nervous about getting everything ready for today, but I didn't freak out or anything

I'm really tired of bleeding and the lochia, and the constant leaky milk. I need to get some breast pads, but haven't made it yet... I keep forgetting when I go into the store!

Questions:

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

#8 of 102 Old 01-04-2010, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Name: Di Linh & Everett

Baby's age: 4 weeks 6 days (5 weeks tomorrow!)

Milestones/Updates: Everett is getting stronger all the time. He has great head/neck control and can push himself up by his arms. He outgrew his newborn dipes and is on the last snaps of his size smalls. I need to buy some new diapers already. We have his 1 month well visit this Thursday so I will know how much he weighs then. I don't think he is as fat as DD was at this age (she was 13 lbs 6 oz by 5 weeks), but he is certainly a chunker.

Thoughts: I'm so glad that I had my placenta encapsulated as well. I'm feeling great. I'm really hoping I don't get overwhelmed or anxious like the last two times and end up with PPD again. So far having #3 has been only a small blip on all of our radars. Totally opposite of when DD was born. Going from #1 to #2 almost killed us. Today we started easing back into our normal routine with homeschooling and activities.

Questions: Any other homeschoolers on this board? I am not looking forward to when Everett gets mobile. Homeschooling was difficult once DD started getting into everything.

#9 of 102 Old 01-04-2010, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Ser: My nipples are always sore from hormones the first couple of weeks. My DD didn't start being really fussy until about 2 months so I'm suspending judgement as well. Knocking on wood that Everett is easier though.

Carmel: If you like WAHM, you can always try Etsy or Hyenacart too for breast pads as well. My favorite ones are terry cloth or velour lined. So soft...

#10 of 102 Old 01-04-2010, 03:31 PM

Name: Mary & Baby Emma

Baby's age: 2 weeks old today!

Milestones/Updates: We're already up to 7lb, 2oz (from a starting birthweight of 6lb 5oz). She's got more neck strength than before, and is nursing only every 3 hours during the night (still every 2 during the day). Pooping like a champ!

Thoughts: I LOVE being a Mommy. She is my whole world. Every day we try something new, so we've figured out our cloth diapers, got the BF thing down, and taught daddy how to do cloth. Today we're going to re-approach our wrap (tried it a couple of times with fair success). She's such a good baby.

Questions: Despite the D&C last Wednesday, I'm still bleeding... it's between bright red and sometimes brown, and there are still clots. I have a follow-up appointment with the OB on Wednesday of this week, but I'm just wondering if that's normal or if I should be concerned. DH tells me my color is back, so I know my hemoglobin is better but who knows what's going on in my uterus. I do get very painful cramps when I'm gassy....

Living Angel Baby Born 12/21/09
Three angels watching over us.
#11 of 102 Old 01-04-2010, 03:49 PM

Name: milimama

Baby's age: 4 weeks on Friday!

Milestones/Updates: My baby weighs 10 lbs, 1oz. Up from 7lbs 4 oz at birth. Wowza!
I have energy again which is great! I don't have quite as much but I don't feel like sleeping all day anymore. I pass out at about 8 or 9 and she sleeps until 6 or 7. That helps tremendously.
Husband thinks we have a cranky baby. He hasn't been around for this phase in almost 10 years so I think he's forgotten how much they cry!
Thankfully he still holds her most of the day. If only he had boobs!

Thoughts:
I did a 'test run' with all five kids to prepare for his departure this week. We all went to Target for about an hour. It went much better than I thought it would. 5 is certainly tougher than 4. I was warned about that. They say 2 to 3 kids and 4 to 5 are big jumps and I think I agree!
I don't feel like leaving the house too much which is very strange as I'm a busy person. Actually, a day in the house used to kill me. Now I don't want to go anywhere ever. It's not that I'm depressed, I just want to hang out here and leaving seems like so much work! Plus, I hate gawkers. People are so obnoxious when I go out with my brood. "Boy, you have your hands full!" or "are they all yours?" I hear those things at least 10x a day. Imagine all 10 adults you talk to in a day saying "nice weather, huh?". That's what it's like. And then they have advice for me because I'm taking my newborn outside. OK cool kids, this is the south and it's rarely that cold. That and this being my 5th child (the first four survived upstate NY and Seattle btw) and that silly little Master's they gave me in child development all seem to trump your 'sage advice' old lady. Thanks though. Sometimes I wanna ask if they smoked when they were pregnant or used car seats to remind them how up to date their advice is.

And no one ever comments when my husband is around. I guess it's 'ok' to have this many kids as long as you have a father for them. I kinda miss saying, "their dad's in Iraq". No one wants to engage you after that. Being an Army wife means lots of solo flying and dealing with idiots. Can you tell?

I am not quite as irritable with my older kids lately. That's helping.

Questions:
Hmm, not really. I feel like I'm handling this all pretty well, although I'm glad we started homeschooling back in October so I could get a grip on it before the baby came. Now I have a delightful routine.

________

Snarky Army wife, mom to 2 girls : 6, : 9, twin boys, 4 : and born 12/10.
#12 of 102 Old 01-04-2010, 04:47 PM

Millimama: Even when it was just my 3 kids people used to say the rudest things to me, too... like Are they all yours, etc. I don't really want to go anywhere, either... But we've done a few trips here and there... and I plan on taking my DD to the indoor playground tomorrow since it is raining. and raining. and raining...

And yeah, why is it that people keep their mouths shut when the papa is with the bunch? It is always when we're alone.

#13 of 102 Old 01-04-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evinmom View Post
Questions: Any other homeschoolers on this board? I am not looking forward to when Everett gets mobile. Homeschooling was difficult once DD started getting into everything.
Yep, we homeschool, but I assume you are asking for others I don't take it too seriously, though, so I'm not sure I'll ever have advice. It's the first year I've schooled all 3, we are relaxed ecclectic hs'ers. It will be interesting to see what happens. At least he'll be getting mobile in the summer so maybe we'll be used to it by the time school starts again?

Our co-op starts back up this week. I'm a little nervous about how that will work out. I am teaching a class. Thankfully it's first hour so I'm hoping to feed him right before we go and then he can snooze in the wrap...it should work.

Mandy, Jesus loving, homebirthing, cloth diapering, baby wearing, breastfeeding, non-vaxing, food growing, homeschooling, hippy mama of 4.
#14 of 102 Old 01-04-2010, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmandy View Post
Yep, we homeschool, but I assume you are asking for others I don't take it too seriously, though, so I'm not sure I'll ever have advice. It's the first year I've schooled all 3, we are relaxed ecclectic hs'ers. It will be interesting to see what happens. At least he'll be getting mobile in the summer so maybe we'll be used to it by the time school starts again?

Our co-op starts back up this week. I'm a little nervous about how that will work out. I am teaching a class. Thankfully it's first hour so I'm hoping to feed him right before we go and then he can snooze in the wrap...it should work.
We're eclectic HSers as well. I tried out K12 for 2 subjects this year and last (made the mistake of signing a 2 year contract). In the process I discovered that I lean more towards unschooling. I hate the rigid structure of traditional schooling. This is my 3rd year homeschooling, but my first year homeschooling both the older kids.

Good luck with the co-op. I participated in a co-op off and on for the past 3 years. When DD was a newborn it was easy. Once she started crawling and then running things got more difficult. When it was my turn to teach another mother or two would be watching the babies. However, I was constantly getting called about DD. DD also had/has several life-threatening allergies (including peanuts and crayons) so I really didn't feel confident about leaving her with someone else while there were allergens all around. Eventually we quit. We rejoined this year only to quit again before I had Everett.

#15 of 102 Old 01-05-2010, 05:13 PM

Name: Linos

Milestones/Updates: We did our first trip to the mountain hut over NYE, went well and my bleeding finally stopped
Linos is already up at 11lbs 8 ounces !!!!!! He is huge !!

Thoughts: Starting to get into the grove of being a mom. . . ? We're starting to develop a night routine w/ feeding + sleeping and BFing is going well..

Questions: Linos seems to have bad gas- he cries for 1-3 hours most nights and only at night. . . nothing soothes him unless he can poop, vomit, spit up or exhaust himself to sleep.. any ideas on things to try?

Also, we're CDing but having problems with the fuzzibunz everytime he poops, its a blow out onto the sling and everything else we're both wearing.. . what am I doing wrong?

DS1 Dec 2009 fuzmalesling.gif DZ Twins July 2012 babyboy.gifbabygirl.gif

#16 of 102 Old 01-05-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithappened View Post
Name: Linos

Milestones/Updates: We did our first trip to the mountain hut over NYE, went well and my bleeding finally stopped
Linos is already up at 11lbs 8 ounces !!!!!! He is huge !!

Thoughts: Starting to get into the grove of being a mom. . . ? We're starting to develop a night routine w/ feeding + sleeping and BFing is going well..

Questions: Linos seems to have bad gas- he cries for 1-3 hours most nights and only at night. . . nothing soothes him unless he can poop, vomit, spit up or exhaust himself to sleep.. any ideas on things to try?

Also, we're CDing but having problems with the fuzzibunz everytime he poops, its a blow out onto the sling and everything else we're both wearing.. . what am I doing wrong?
Wow! He is a big guy! Have you tried gas drops or Hylands colic remedy...I can't remember the name of it. We use the gas drops and it seems to help a lot. Combine it with swaddling and I get more hours of sleep then not at night.

Your dipes may need to be stripped. I had that problem with fuzzibunz. If you search the diapering forum you'll find lots of useful information on fuzzibunz and stripping.

We started cding today. Ds doesn't really like it...dh doesn't want to do it. I guess we'll see how it goes.

#17 of 102 Old 01-05-2010, 06:09 PM

Quote:
have you tried gas drops or Hylands colic remedy...I can't remember the name of it.
we haven't tried either yet but maybe thats the next step tomorrow.. . the weird thing is, it happens every night somewhere between 6pm and 2am for anywhere from 1-3 hours then its over and he sleeps fine the rest of the night and during the day is supr mellow.. its really strange.

the only thing I can figure/guess out is he eats a lot more in the evenings and then I can hear/feel the gas in his stomach after for a few hours and until it passes he is raging mad and upset

#18 of 102 Old 01-05-2010, 06:26 PM

Name:
Mindie, Derek

Baby's age:
17 days

Milestones/Updates:
He is kinda starting to get his days and nights figured out. It's kinda stressful when he pulls a 4 hour stretch of awake time from 9pm- 1am and then up again for a feeding at 4. Especially when the older kids are up by 7:30.
Feedings are now like 4 ounces each, and he is in size 1 diapers.

Thoughts:
I am starting to grieve the fact that no more babies are in the plans.
If money and sanity were non-issues I would do it again. Why does this make me so sad??

Questions:
Am I the only non-co sleeping, disposable diaper using mama on here? Just wondering since I am kinda "not so crunchy" as my siggy implies.

Mindie, wife to Mark, not-so-crunchy mom to Dylan (4/04); Devon (6/06); Dorothy (9/07); Derek (12/19/09); Daniel (12/18/10); Newbie D (2/22/12)

#19 of 102 Old 01-05-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
So far having #3 has been only a small blip on all of our radars. Totally opposite of when DD was born. Going from #1 to #2 almost killed us.
Yeah, same here going from 3 to 4. having the baby at home seemed so "every day activity" or something and the kids have been really good about the whole thing. Dylan was on Christmas break...err..I mean "winter holiday"... and just went back today. So far so good

Mindie, wife to Mark, not-so-crunchy mom to Dylan (4/04); Devon (6/06); Dorothy (9/07); Derek (12/19/09); Daniel (12/18/10); Newbie D (2/22/12)

#20 of 102 Old 01-05-2010, 07:17 PM

Finally getting to check in. It's so hard to get to write anything longer!

Nora is 3 weeks, 3 days today. I seriously can't believe it's been nearly a month! She is adorable and fat, nurses great, my nipples are still a little sore, but much improved. Sleep is ok, some bad nights and some ok nights, but pretty much what I expected.

Dh is working part time this week. In a way it will be nice to get back to our new normal. DS went back to preschool yest. as well, and I did school with my 7 yo (we are homeschoolers, too! I would love to get any advice or info! I had to send my 4 yo to preschool in order to do it, so obviously I am not prepared for multiple-kid homeschooling! I have no idea how I"ll manage when the baby is getting into everything and needing more attention! Maybe we should start a homeschooling thread to talk about it? I could use the encouragement!)

yesterday was my first afternoon with all 3 kids. We are still alive and it wasn't completely horrible. Thursday will be my first entire day with all 3, and I am scared to death. Tomorrow will be my first time getting all 3 ready in the morning and doing the preschool commute. yikes!!!

Ok, my huge issue right now is the car, and my 4 yo DS's behavior. Help, help, help. Whenever the baby cries, he laughs himself sick. I mean, not giggling or saying "ha ha", but dying, choking, laughing till he can't breathe. He adores the baby, so it's not malicious. But it awful nonetheless. My blood pressure goes up when she cries, and then he immediately starts in uproariously laughing, and I just flip out and want to scream or smack someone. So far I havent, but I've gotten really upset at him as this scene plays out multiple times a day. I think it's his reaction to being uncomfortable or not used to hearing a baby cry. It is really, really bad when we're all in the car, and I can't do anything to help the baby calm down and not cry so I feel helpless, and I can't do anything to stop him from laughing, except get madder and madder and threaten and yell, none of which does anything.

And, he just repeats and repeats and repeats and screams nonsense words continuously, and literally jumps on top of the baby, and kisses her to the point of making out. Literally all.day.long he will repeat "o beb. o bip. o bip. o bip. o babe. meh meh meh meh meh meh. milk. milk. milk. milk. milk." I feel so terrible that we're constantly saying stop it, no, don't do that, etc. But he's doing things like smush the baby, or hanging from the window shades, or jumping on top of me, or screaming in my face, that I have no choice but to say "No" or "stop"! I offer all the time to do things with him 1:1 so he gets plenty of attention, but even as I read to him he's screaming this gibberish and climbing all over me and the baby, I eventually give up. I feel soooooooo bad because such a short time ago, he was my wonderful, lovely little baby and I'm sad that I can't snuggle and enjoy him right now, because I really want to!

Maybe we should start a thread for moms of more than one kid, because I don't want to scare the first timers!!
#21 of 102 Old 01-05-2010, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Awaken - I chuckled when reading your post because although we don't have the exact situation, I have a 4 year old middle child too and can completely relate. Actually, I think all 3 of our kids are the same ages. Anyway, DD used to be so loving with me. Granted she was always fiesty and head strong, but I was really enjoying her all last year. Then she turned 4, and now she's just plain mean. She's great with the baby, but she constantly beats up her older brother and says hurtful things to him. She is almost ways defiant these days (although DS1 went through a similar phase from 4-6). Nothing I do seems to help. Some days I want to pull my hair out. She likes to repeat things over and over again too. Especially to annoy DS1. Unfortunately the two of them are obsessed with words like "poop" and other potty humor. In the car when the baby starts to cry (which he usually does because he hates the carseat), she starts screaming at the top of her lungs that it's "too loud." Her contribution helps a bunch of course and my BP goes through the roof.

#22 of 102 Old 01-05-2010, 07:51 PM

Sara: I didn't mean to sound too nonchalant about your concerns. I guess what I meant was that I am always surprised by all the strange sounds/movements my newborns make. But if your intuition tells you that something is wrong, you should definitely get it checked out.

Awaken and Evinmom: I also have a 7 year old and a 4 year old, and 4 is definitely a hard age even without a newborn in the mix! My 4 year old hasn't been too bad, but is having some pretty awful tantrums (supposedly unrelated to baby). And about the car thing, my older son used to FREAK OUT in the car when his brother would cry as an infant. He reached over and bit him once (we promptly moved their seats apart). I don't know what to do besides breathe deeply and consider getting your 4 year old some headphones and music.

Ser, mama to Luke (7) and Henry (4) and gratefully welcoming a new babe in December '09
#23 of 102 Old 01-05-2010, 07:55 PM

Awaken, my 4 year old went through a gibberish stage, actually, he still is. Once we accepted it, he's done it less. It's quite annoying. I would agree he's laughing to cut the tension, so to speak. Maybe if you find a way for him to help he'd feel empowered? Idk. My ds keeps putting stuffed animals in the baby's face to make him feel better. He's also prayed for God to help the baby not cry anymore, so maybe they are really sencitive at this age. They only cry when something is terribly wrong (in their oppinion) so maybe they are worried that there is something awful happening to the baby.

I had my boys in preschool while I hs'ed dd and found it to be much easier to bring them home and all be on the same schedule...my schedule at that. No more rushing to get them somewhere on time then coming home to school and then leaving to get them again. It was too much.

#24 of 102 Old 01-05-2010, 11:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sara - you have every right to be fed up with your inlaws, I'd be too. Thank GAWD mine are 3000 miles away... though my MIL is coming in 2 weeks and I hope that's not too painful of a visit.

doclegs - I hope the bleeding stops soon!

ithappened - I thought it was common to have fussy, gassy time in the evening. Rassa has evening fussy time in the early morning and evening. She is consolable, but it's a good amount of work. And of course, I just stick a boob in it if I'm too tired to do the rocking, walking, soothing, singing.

Name: Mana and baby Rassa

Baby's age: 4 weeks tomorrow!

Milestones/Updates: she's grown 1.5 inches (up to 20.5) and has gone from 6 lbs 2 oz (her birth weight) to 8 lbs! And she loves to nurse!

Thoughts: I love her to death. I never want to put her down. I usually am either wearing her or carrying her or she is sleeping on me or I am sleeping with her (or DH is). I swear when I haven't held for a couple of hours I get separation anxiety. I resent that I have to go back to work and leave her with a stranger in another 2.5 weeks. People make me feel weird for holding her so much though. I am also not that interested in pumping because I like breastfeeding. Is my desire to be close to her alot bad?

Questions: Rassa screams bloody murder 75% of her diaper changes. WTH? We're even soaking the wipes in warm water so they're not cold. She's had a bad diaper rash for a while, but she was screaming well before then. Are we doing something wrong? 10 days with no soy or dairy and she still spends a good part of her waking hours grunting, writhing, turning red, farting (or trying to) and pooping. She's doesn't scream and cry non-stop, but she requires my constant attention for anywhere from 1-3 hours in the early morning and evening. I am pretty tired afterwards. Is this normal?

Here she is, looking very serious:

http://rassa.shutterfly.com/123#128

mama to Rassa, born 12/9/09
#25 of 102 Old 01-06-2010, 12:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmandy View Post
I had my boys in preschool while I hs'ed dd and found it to be much easier to bring them home and all be on the same schedule...my schedule at that. No more rushing to get them somewhere on time then coming home to school and then leaving to get them again. It was too much.
I agree. I had DD in preschool last year for 5 months. I found it harder to have to drop off/pick up than just deal with her at home. She is actually more happy to be home anyway. Getting her ready for school was such a pain. Then I was stressed about picking her up on time.

Quote:
ithappened - I thought it was common to have fussy, gassy time in the evening. Rassa has evening fussy time in the early morning and evening. She is consolable, but it's a good amount of work. And of course, I just stick a boob in it if I'm too tired to do the rocking, walking, soothing, singing.
Same here. All my kids had a fussy time for a few hours in the evenings the first few months of life. Everett is most fussy between dinnertime and bedtime and again in the morning between 5:30/6am and 9:30/10am.

#26 of 102 Old 01-06-2010, 12:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattooed Hand View Post
Thoughts: I love her to death. I never want to put her down. I usually am either wearing her or carrying her or she is sleeping on me or I am sleeping with her (or DH is). I swear when I haven't held for a couple of hours I get separation anxiety. I resent that I have to go back to work and leave her with a stranger in another 2.5 weeks. People make me feel weird for holding her so much though. I am also not that interested in pumping because I like breastfeeding. Is my desire to be close to her alot bad?

Questions: Rassa screams bloody murder 75% of her diaper changes. WTH? We're even soaking the wipes in warm water so they're not cold. She's had a bad diaper rash for a while, but she was screaming well before then. Are we doing something wrong? 10 days with no soy or dairy and she still spends a good part of her waking hours grunting, writhing, turning red, farting (or trying to) and pooping. She's doesn't scream and cry non-stop, but she requires my constant attention for anywhere from 1-3 hours in the early morning and evening. I am pretty tired afterwards. Is this normal?
Mana, Rassa is beautiful! I don't like putting Everett down either. I was like this with DD as well. Personally I don't think there is anything wrong with it as long as you happy with the way things are. I start back to work on weekends in 2 weeks. I got all teary thinking about it. It's only 2 half days a week and I still don't wanna. I can't imagine having to work 40 hour weeks. A lot of babies don't like getting their diaper changed so that is normal. As for the gassiness, it depends... I'm not sure what to tell you other than to listen to your instincts and ask your ped if you think there is something wrong. I "knew" something wasn't quite right with DD when she was a baby even though the ped told me I was overreacting. She was always extremely gassy and her farts/poops really stank. That is unusual for an exclusively bfed baby. Then she broke out in eczema all over. Soon the inconsolable scream fest started and she stopped sleeping. It took me 8 months to convince her ped, but I knew deep down something was wrong. Sure enough we discovered after allergy tests when she was 8 months old she was severely allergic to wheat, dairy, eggs, peanuts, and soy. Then at 10 months we introduced solids. She started having anaphylactic reactions to almost all legumes and a lot of fruits. As time went on the allergen list kept expanding. Finally the ped took us seriously and prescribed an epi pen. She's had one since.

#27 of 102 Old 01-06-2010, 02:01 AM

Quote:

Carmel: If you like WAHM, you can always try Etsy or Hyenacart too for breast pads as well. My favorite ones are terry cloth or velour lined. So soft...
I keep looking at these! I finally got some of the lansinoh disposable ones in the meantime... I like these ones the best for when I am out in public and need them to work--plus they seem to be the least noticeable.

#28 of 102 Old 01-06-2010, 03:24 AM

Name: Nina & Elliot

Baby's age:
1 month 4 days

Milestones/Updates:
He's got lots better head control, fits his 0-3's, and is getting the pleasantly plump newborn look. I love my little guy!

Thoughts:So glad to hear I'm not the only one riding out the new sibling transition...Libby is slowly catching on to what I mean by gentle. She is still in my face/jumping on me/climbing on me all the time and I am soooo touched out.

DH has been back at work for a couple of weeks and I'm getting the hang of solo parenting. I pulled a completely solo day Saturday since his friends were in from out of town and I have another one tomorrow because it's his army night after work. My first solo weekend is the week after next. I signed DD up for a morning dance class on Saturdays so she'll be up early and getting some physical activity.

Questions:I'm considering going back to working out next week and leaving Elliot with DH for 1.5 hour intervals. I'm probably going to put him in the gym daycare eventually too. I don't feel particularly guilty. Is that wrong? Or am I just desensitized to the evils of daycare since I worked f/t between kids?
#29 of 102 Old 01-06-2010, 05:42 AM

Dh and I tried to DTD last night, it felt sort of like I was giving birth in reverse, not fun or comfortable, we went slow but then afterwords I started to bleed 'fresh' again

Guessing we tried too soon but I assumed since my bleeding stopped last week it wouldn't be a problem. le sigh.

#30 of 102 Old 01-06-2010, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awaken View Post
I offer all the time to do things with him 1:1 so he gets plenty of attention, but even as I read to him he's screaming this gibberish and climbing all over me and the baby, I eventually give up. I feel soooooooo bad because such a short time ago, he was my wonderful, lovely little baby and I'm sad that I can't snuggle and enjoy him right now, because I really want to!

Maybe we should start a thread for moms of more than one kid, because I don't want to scare the first timers!!
One of my twins is acting in a similar fashion. He's the older twin but has always been 'the baby' because he's smaller and less mature. He's talking like a baby too.

Anyway, I hear ya!

Snarky Army wife, mom to 2 girls : 6, : 9, twin boys, 4 : and born 12/10.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page