Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Name:

Baby's age:

Milestones/Updates:

Thoughts:

Questions:

Di Linh, mama to DS1 (7), DD(4), DS2 (b 12/01/09)
#2 of 74 Old 01-11-2010, 01:59 PM

Oh, I'll go first.

Name: Mandy and Levi

Baby's age: 2 weeks 4 days

Milestones/Updates: He's 10 lbs already! He has fat rolls on his wrists and necy. My other boys were so skinny, this is fun! We went out for the first time, just him and I...it went well! I may have found a ped that I'll stay with...if I decide to vax...ugh...I hate doing all this research.

Thoughts: "He's so big and so little" that's the mantra of the moment.

Questions:
He has diaper rash, it's really just red around his butt, waht can I do for this, I thought we were immune since we cd! The diaper rash ointment doesn't seem to be working, what can I try? Would lanolin work?

Has anyone ever made cds out of tshirts? Do they work? I'm going to sew some this week and would like to know what to expect.

Is anyone's face peeling? My skin is flaking...it looks like dandruff-so gross. I've started cleaning with Olive Oil and castor oil and then using grapeseed oil as a moisturiser...you'd thing with all those oils I'd be...oily...but I'm still flaking away...any suggestions?

Mandy, Jesus loving, homebirthing, cloth diapering, baby wearing, breastfeeding, non-vaxing, food growing, homeschooling, hippy mama of 4.
#3 of 74 Old 01-11-2010, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mandy, I'm always thinking how big and little Everett is. I've not personally tried the tee-shirt diapers, but some friends have and they say it works. It's basically like using jersey knit fabric for a fitted diaper. I've used lanolin for a diaper rash before. It works well. No, cloth diapering does not ensure you won't ever get diaper rash. ECing can help. Although if you only ECing part time like me, there is still a chance of diaper rash. If the diaper rash won't go away, it may be food sensitivity related. Didn't you mention Levi possibly having a sensitivity? My DD used to get eczema on her bottom. Doctor says it was unusual, yet she got it there anyway.

Name: Di Linh & Everett

Baby's age: 5 weeks 6 days

Milestones/Updates: We had Everett's 1 month check up last week. He's doing great. Weighed 12 lbs 2 oz then which was 3.5 lbs up from his lowest weight at a few days old. At the rate he's been gaining, he's probably close to 13 lbs by now. He's giving me more obvious signals when he needs to eliminate. Although silly me doesn't always pay attention or take action (too tired). I think it makes him mad when I don't.

Thoughts: When I look at Everett, he looks so big and yet so little at the same time. I am not looking forward to starting work again next week. Even if it's only 2 days a week. DH has promised to bring Everett by to nurse so we won't have to give him a bottle. We'll see how it goes. I'm leaving a little frozen breastmilk for him just in case, but he's not had a bottle yet so we don't know if he'd take it.

Questions: Anyone else experience weird post partum itching or hives? This is my first time dealing with it. Started about 1 week post partum. Thankfully the hives only lasted 4 days, but they were torturous.

#4 of 74 Old 01-11-2010, 02:52 PM

Name: Liz & Finn

Baby's age: 3.5 weeks

Milestones/Updates: I am figuring out my wrap which is great! Finn likes to be active - either bounced, held, rocked, up on someone's shoulder, etc. It is tiring but luckily dh & middle son (wow, never said that before!) are eager to help. Oldest son was sick for two weeks and still has yet to really bond w/his youngest brother. Can't say I blame him - he is sooo much older and not a fan of babies anyway, but I am sure he will come around.

Thoughts: Wow, has almost a month passed already?? I can't believe I missed my opportunity to take newborn photo shots. I better get cracking on taking pics!!

Questions: What is ecing? I have seen it written a few times but can't figure it out...
Also, looking forward to getting together with other new moms - is anyone else going out and meeting people yet??

If you want to sound wise, go to school. If you want to be wise, go to nature.
My 3 sons! 8/92, 1/97 & 12/09!!
#5 of 74 Old 01-11-2010, 03:03 PM

Name: Lazlo (no middle name yet!)

Baby's age: 5 Days

Milestones/Updates: Nursing, nursing, nursing! Staring into momma's eyes with so much love and trust that her heart gets too big for her chest!

Thoughts: We are still just enjoying our baby moon and learning the in's and out's of tandem nursing and trying to figure out how we are going to structure our days in the next few weeks...I am homeschooling our 15 yr old and our 6 year old, plus toddler wrangling. Right now, we have help from a postpartem doula (she is in training and we are part of her certification, so we both get to benefit)

Not to mention that we have had delish food dropped off every day, our friend came over and did 5 loads of laundry yesterday, too! We are totally taking advantage of any help anyone offers, and really taking it seriously when someone says "let me know if you need anything" (Yes! We need a laundry soap! Yes! We need someone to pick up this package from the post office! Yes! We need someone to pick up our teen from her freinds house!) Sir Hubby feels weird about accepting the help, but i told him that if people are offended, that they won't ever make the mistake of offering their help flippantly ever again, so in fact, we are helping THEM become more genuine people

Questions: Anyone else dealing with a tongue tie? It isn't affecting his nursing, his wet diapers, my nipples...so is there really any reason to DO anything? I called the ped to ask if they clip them there and i got an earful about how they HAVE to see him within 24 hours of birth...blah blah...even though i told them 1200 times about our hb midwives provided well baby care for the first 6 weeks...sigh. Yeah, like i'm dragging my baby out into the snow at 5 days postpartem?

What ever happened to 6 weeks being the benchmark for returning to normal activities? i don't plan on leaving my bed for 4 more days! i could since i feel so awesome, but won't bc it is dumb to do anything other than heal and love my baby!

Justine--Wife to Sir Hubby, HBAC Momma to 5 kiddos including Lazlo born 1/6/10 gently at home!
#6 of 74 Old 01-11-2010, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulaJulian View Post
Questions: Anyone else dealing with a tongue tie? It isn't affecting his nursing, his wet diapers, my nipples...so is there really any reason to DO anything? I called the ped to ask if they clip them there and i got an earful about how they HAVE to see him within 24 hours of birth...blah blah...even though i told them 1200 times about our hb midwives provided well baby care for the first 6 weeks...sigh. Yeah, like i'm dragging my baby out into the snow at 5 days postpartem?

What ever happened to 6 weeks being the benchmark for returning to normal activities? i don't plan on leaving my bed for 4 more days! i could since i feel so awesome, but won't bc it is dumb to do anything other than heal and love my baby!
ITA agree accepting help! Good for you staying in bed! I think women in our society expect (and are expected) to go back to their normal routines shortly after giving birth and that is not necessarily a good thing.

Both Gavin and Everett have/had tongue ties. In our case, it did affect nursing. Unfortunately, Gavin's wasn't diagnose until he was 2 years old which was too late for an easy clipping. Older kids need to be sedated or put under general anesthesia. We opted to forgo the procedure due to a family history of adverse reactions to general anesthesia. As soon as I realized Everett was tongue tie (by the end of the first night), we made an appt with the ENT to have it clipped immediately. It turned out he had a type 4 posterior and an upper lip tie. He required 3 clippings but did really well. For us, it was the best decision we could have made for Everett.

Tongue ties can lead to orthodontic, speech and eating problems. We have been lucky that Gavin's has not affected his teeth (which are perfect!) or his speech. However, he does have a bit of a lisp, a very strong gag reflex and texture sensitivities. I had some friends who didn't think that their babies' tongue ties were affecting breastfeeding so they didn't have them clipped until later on. After the procedures, they all noticed there was indeed a difference. Their babies started gaining weight at a faster rate afterwards as well.

It is much easier to have a baby's tongue clipped than an older child's. I would personally do it now to save yourself and your child the pain of having to do it later. A friend of mine has a DS who needed a frenectomy when he was 5 years old. His experience makes me cringe.

ETA: Tongue tie can also cause or exacerbate reflux. Poor Gavin had projectile vomiting which in hindsight I'm sure is related to him being tongue-tied and having a really strong gag reflex.

#7 of 74 Old 01-11-2010, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ears73 View Post
Questions: What is ecing? I have seen it written a few times but can't figure it out...
EC = Elimination Communication. You can check out the EC board for more info/resources.

#8 of 74 Old 01-11-2010, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulaJulian View Post

Yeah, it is weird. Our ped. wanted us to bring in him after 3 days of being home (and another ped. checked him out in the hospital... so it wasn't like he was unseen...
I made the appointment, and got all dressed and ready to go... and I was going to have to drive myself because my 5 yo wasn't feeling that well and was home from school, and I didn't want to have to drag him, my 3yo and DH to the office... plus bringing a newborn into an office with sick kids... NO THANK YOU.

I called and canceled. I'll bring him in next week for him 1 month check up.

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

#9 of 74 Old 01-11-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmandy View Post
Oh, I'll go first.

Name: Mandy and Levi

Baby's age: 2 weeks 4 days

Milestones/Updates: He's 10 lbs already! He has fat rolls on his wrists and necy. My other boys were so skinny, this is fun! We went out for the first time, just him and I...it went well! I may have found a ped that I'll stay with...if I decide to vax...ugh...I hate doing all this research.

Thoughts: "He's so big and so little" that's the mantra of the moment.

Questions:
He has diaper rash, it's really just red around his butt, waht can I do for this, I thought we were immune since we cd! The diaper rash ointment doesn't seem to be working, what can I try? Would lanolin work?

Has anyone ever made cds out of tshirts? Do they work? I'm going to sew some this week and would like to know what to expect.

Is anyone's face peeling? My skin is flaking...it looks like dandruff-so gross. I've started cleaning with Olive Oil and castor oil and then using grapeseed oil as a moisturiser...you'd thing with all those oils I'd be...oily...but I'm still flaking away...any suggestions?
Mandy, regarding the skin (your skin) are you taking a fish oil/Cod liver oil? That often helps...

And for baby's bottom, we have used lanolin for diaper rash. It works well as a barrier to keep the moisture out. Also, something like this is awesome and won't destroy your clothdiapers...

destin and other zinc based diaper creams might make your diapers all gross.

I had a little sample of the motherlove diaper rash relief, and it is really awesome. I'm going to order some more, because my little one had a rash, that cleared up really fast with this stuff! And I'll put a little on at night for when he goes longer without a change. His bottom looks great now! No rash/redness at all. Really healthy skin. And my diapers are in good shape, too.

#10 of 74 Old 01-11-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evinmom View Post

Thoughts: When I look at Everett, he looks so big and yet so little at the same time. I am not looking forward to starting work again next week. Even if it's only 2 days a week. DH has promised to bring Everett by to nurse so we won't have to give him a bottle. We'll see how it goes. I'm leaving a little frozen breastmilk for him just in case, but he's not had a bottle yet so we don't know if he'd take it.

Questions: Anyone else experience weird post partum itching or hives? This is my first time dealing with it. Started about 1 week post partum. Thankfully the hives only lasted 4 days, but they were torturous.
I've never had the hives, I hope they're gone now! Is it just from hormones fluctuating? Take care!

And wishing the best with going back to work. You'll do fine, esp. if your DH brings baby to visit! I have a meeting I need to go to next month and we haven't tried a bottle yet... we'll see how it goes. But it is good for DH to have extra time with baby without me hogging him!

#11 of 74 Old 01-11-2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ears73 View Post
Can't say I blame him - he is sooo much older and not a fan of babies anyway, but I am sure he will come around.

Thoughts: Wow, has almost a month passed already?? I can't believe I missed my opportunity to take newborn photo shots. I better get cracking on taking pics!!

Also, looking forward to getting together with other new moms - is anyone else going out and meeting people yet??
My oldest is like that, too. Doesn't want to hold the baby--but likes to watch him sometimes and likes the idea of him... but is waiting for him to get more interesting... He isn't really into babies...

My 5yo loves him though, always wants to hold him and pet him and sign him the cutest little songs

I haven't really met new people, but am starting to get back into meeting up with friends... I too would like to meet some new friends for my new baby to grow up with

#12 of 74 Old 01-11-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmel23 View Post
Mandy, regarding the skin (your skin) are you taking a fish oil/Cod liver oil? That often helps...

And for baby's bottom, we have used lanolin for diaper rash. It works well as a barrier to keep the moisture out. Also, something like this is awesome and won't destroy your clothdiapers...

destin and other zinc based diaper creams might make your diapers all gross.

I had a little sample of the motherlove diaper rash relief, and it is really awesome. I'm going to order some more, because my little one had a rash, that cleared up really fast with this stuff! And I'll put a little on at night for when he goes longer without a change. His bottom looks great now! No rash/redness at all. Really healthy skin. And my diapers are in good shape, too.

I do take CLO...a lot actually...hmmm, I'll keep trying stuff...I feel like it's hormonal so I may be fighting an uphill battle.

I have Hylands Diaper Rash stuff...it's basicly vaseline, calendula and a bit of lanolin...doesn't seem to be working. I have microfleece liners for when I use the cream that way there's a barrier between it and the diapers. Will the lanolin mess with the absorbancy of the diapers, I guess it will since it makes teh wool water proof I'll keep using the liners.

Oh! I think I have a sample of Motherease...I'll go look now!

Mandy, Jesus loving, homebirthing, cloth diapering, baby wearing, breastfeeding, non-vaxing, food growing, homeschooling, hippy mama of 4.
#13 of 74 Old 01-11-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Questions:[/B] He has diaper rash, it's really just red around his butt, waht can I do for this, I thought we were immune since we cd! The diaper rash ointment doesn't seem to be working, what can I try? Would lanolin work?

My pediatrician suggested a mixture of equal parts Aquaphor and Malox, and as strange as it sounds, it totally WORKED!! I cloth diaper too, but it was mostly because of us wiping so often. Be sure to get some liners for your CDs, otherwise it will cause residue buildup.

Living Angel Baby Born 12/21/09
Three angels watching over us.
#14 of 74 Old 01-11-2010, 08:46 PM

Name: Mary and Emma

Baby's age: 3 weeks today!

Milestones/Updates: She held her head up for between 12-13 seconds while on my chest the other day, it was too cute! Wobbly, but definitely holding her head up. She's also eating like a wild woman, so I think she's going through a growth spurt.

Thoughts: I just adore my little one, but I'm getting to the point where the sleep deprivation is catching up to me. During the day, her cries don't bother me at all... during the night, I find myself really needing to be patient and take deep breaths with her. I hope I'm not developing PPD.

Questions: What do you do if your little one HATES the wrap? I've tried it a couple of times and she screams bloody murder when her head is wrapped up. She also hates hats, FWIW.

#15 of 74 Old 01-11-2010, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mary, I don't put Everett's head in when I wear him in a wrap. We also don't use hats unless we go outside. I've not had much luck with them staying on anyway. After the first 48 hours of life I've just not bothered.

#16 of 74 Old 01-11-2010, 11:25 PM

nak

how do you all know about tongue tie? what are the symptoms?

Name: Cortney and Griffin

Baby's age: will be 4 wks on Thurs!!

Milestones/Updates: G is almost 10 lbs up from 8 lbs at birth! he is soooo strong its strange when he is done laying on my chest, he throws his little head to the side and rolls off my chest!

Thoughts: sleep dep. has finally caught up to me yesterday. i'm starting to feel anxiety creeping in which is an indication that i need more sleep. i pumped my first bottle so dh can feed and i can sleep. dh is going back to work on thurs and i'm terrified... alone with two kids!!

Questions: who's babies are smiling? dd was 5 wks old for her first social smile... i'm ready for my "smile payment"!

mumma to sweet 7 year old girl
and darling 2 year old guy

#17 of 74 Old 01-12-2010, 03:37 AM

Name: Cloud and Nimbus

Baby's age: 7 weeks + 3 days

Milestones/Updates: He's around 10 pounds, 11 ounces today, up three pounds from his birth weight and almost four pounds from his lowest point! He's soooo cute and chubby now.

I'm getting several social smiles a day now, the majority of them coming during/after diaper changes, which he used to hate. Also, he's discovered his mobile and loooooves it. I can leave him in the crib awake for short periods of time now while he watches the animals go round and round. He can hold his head up for relatively long periods now, and when he drops it, he catches himself before he bonks it most of the time.

The nipple shields are officially retired now, locked away in a cupboard in the nursery. It's amazing how much less messy nursing is now! I used to go through a billion cloth wipes every day mopping up breastmilk. He's still gaining well, so I'm trying to convince myself he's really getting enough, even though he's sometimes falling asleep after only one side now. I've read that nipple shields make nursing a lot less efficient, so I'm hoping he's getting more milk faster this way.

My poor breasts, though....my nipples are screaming because I was protected from the initial adjustment period when he was first born. I'm loading them up with lanolin after every nursing session, but when he first latches on, it's awful. DH even suggested going back the the nipple shields after seeing my face when Nimbus latched on earlier. My mom went through a similar phase with her babies at first, so I'm sticking it out a few days before making an appointment with a LC. It doesn't help that this evening he's been really terrorizing my nipples near the end of feedings. He acts like he's a starving wolf at the end after calmly sucking for however long. He did it to a bottle nipple tonight, too...anyone have a guess as to what that's all about? I'm trying to force myself to relax despite the pain, knowing how stress has affected my milk supply in the past.

I also had a few symptoms of mastitis come on this Saturday. Most notably, a bright red spot with a red line snaking away from it and a sudden bout of extreme fatigue soon after it appeared. But I seem to have headed it off with something in the grapefruit seed extract/Emergen-C/probiotics/Advil/lots of water/breast massage/heat and cold regimen I immediately started until I could call a doctor (which I skipped now that it's better), because you can barely see where the red line was and the big red spot is localized now, and I never got any pain there or a fever or anything. I'm keeping a close watch on it and will get help if it gets at all worse again.

Thoughts: I had thoughts, I know I did, but now I'm just tired. Nimbus slept for five hours last night, but I got up in the middle of it to pump because of my mastitis worries. I should've napped with him at some point today. I'm still bad at managing that.

Questions: Is there anything else that soothes sore nipples other than lanolin and cold? Or makes them toughen up faster?

I had to drag Nimbus out into the cold way too many times in the first two weeks, thanks to his 11% weight loss. Four doctor visits and two lactation consultations. Two of those doctor visits would've happened either way, though...they do one at five weeks and one at two weeks. I was so glad when I finally got to stay home for a week + straight. At least they don't make us come in for a one month visit--at least something good came out of the swine flu craze.

Cortney - He social smiled at 5 weeks exactly...about the same time of the night as he was born and everything. :-) The first one that he was completely wide awake for was two days later, but I count the one at 5 weeks because I'd been asking him for weeks for a smile for Christmas and it was just after midnight, so close enough to being on Christmas day. He was at least 75% awake and looking at me.

Cloud, mommy to her happy little Nimbus, born 11/09!
#18 of 74 Old 01-12-2010, 06:51 AM

Name: Linos

Baby's age: 4 weeks 2 days

Milestones/Updates: He started to poop now 1-2 times a day instead of every diaper, does that count? I am also getting really fast at using the moby wrap and we have developed an awesome nighttime routine where he goes to bed about 8/9pm feeds at 12, 4 and 7:30 then sleeps till 10-11 am

Thoughts: Can I run yet? I am going crazy!!
I started to do some snow shoeing and some longer walking in the afternoons and a ballet DVD some mornings because I couldn't take being inside all day without some sort of movement... I start to get depressed and anxious..

And I feel like this is going to make me sound like a terrible mom but I also really am wanting to start to leave DS with DH or a babysitter for a few hours a week just so I can get out of the house. Taking DS with me is fine, but when DH comes he also wants to bring our huge dog which just makes for an overwhelming caravan if we try to go anywhere I feel stressed the whole time because our dog is jumping all over the place, the baby is crying and DH/I are trying to manage it all. . I feel like we haven't even had a conversation with each other in the last 2 weeks. I just want to be able to go have a (quick) nice dinner without having to deal with a hyperactive dog and the baby.. its got to be one or the other for a while because I can't handle both

Questions: When does the head over heels in love with my DS happen? I am still not there yet Right now I just feel like a boob and a CD washer.

DS1 Dec 2009 fuzmalesling.gif DZ Twins July 2012 babyboy.gifbabygirl.gif

#19 of 74 Old 01-12-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithappened View Post
Questions: When does the head over heels in love with my DS happen? I am still not there yet Right now I just feel like a boob and a CD washer.
It will come. I have 4 kids, my second and fourth were love at first sight. My first adn third took time...months to really be in the so-in-love-it-hurts kind of love. For me it developed slowly, unnoticably, really, until one day I realised how my love for them finally came. It's not a bad thing to need a break-not at all. Never feel guilty for that.

#20 of 74 Old 01-12-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evinmom View Post
Mary, I don't put Everett's head in when I wear him in a wrap. We also don't use hats unless we go outside. I've not had much luck with them staying on anyway. After the first 48 hours of life I've just not bothered.
So how are you wrapping him? All the newborn videos and instructions I've seen online have a newborn with their head in the wrap.

#21 of 74 Old 01-12-2010, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I've never had the hives, I hope they're gone now! Is it just from hormones fluctuating? Take care!

And wishing the best with going back to work. You'll do fine, esp. if your DH brings baby to visit!
Carmel, I'm thinking it is hormones after reading a lot of stories about post partum hives/itching online and talking to a few friends who have experienced it. I'm going to count myself lucky that the hives themselves only lasted 4 days. One of my friends said she had recurring hives for 3 years until she got pregnant again. *knock on wood* that whatever is causing it is not going to cause them to recur. Thanks for the encouragement!

Quote:
So how are you wrapping him? All the newborn videos and instructions I've seen online have a newborn with their head in the wrap.
Mary, I use the cross carry, but I do it so that the middle part that you first wrap around your belly is on the outside. I stick the two sides that come from the shoulder inside the belly band area. Then I cross them and tie behind. I take Everett and stick one leg through each side of the cross and spread the material one side at a time across his bum, back, shoulders. I use a woven wrap so it's very tight. At this point, the two criss-crossing sides should already be covering his entire back and both shoulders up to his neck. Then for added support, I pull the belly band area over both legs, then up his back, up to his neck. His head/face is resting against my chest. This usually provides his neck with enough support I don't have to cover his head unless I'm leaning over in which case I put my hand behind his head. Once he's asleep and if his neck starts to bob back, I just pull up the side where the back of his head is resting against so that it just covers his head and not his face. I hope this makes sense. I can try to get DH to take a picture tonight if Everett cooperates.

Quote:
Taking DS with me is fine, but when DH comes he also wants to bring our huge dog which just makes for an overwhelming caravan if we try to go anywhere I feel stressed the whole time because our dog is jumping all over the place, the baby is crying and DH/I are trying to manage it all. . I feel like we haven't even had a conversation with each other in the last 2 weeks. I just want to be able to go have a (quick) nice dinner without having to deal with a hyperactive dog and the baby.... its got to be one or the other for a while because I can't handle both.
I love our dog, but my sanity and the baby come first. Why is DH opposed to leaving the dog at home? Can you just let him know how much it stresses you out to have to bring the dog too? DH and I went out to lunch a couple of weeks ago with some friends and Everett slept the whole time in the wrap. It was nice and I didn't even have to take care of him really until after we left when he woke up to eat and get a change.

Quote:
Questions: who's babies are smiling? dd was 5 wks old for her first social smile... i'm ready for my "smile payment"!
Everett started smiling at 5 weeks.

#22 of 74 Old 01-12-2010, 12:00 PM

I'm giving up dairy...I think. I'm pretty sure it's a problem but want to talk to my mw about it. I'm pretty sure she'll agree.

<--this is both for my loss of dairy and for poor Levi who is just not happy. I feel so bad for him. I actually dreamed of giving him a bottle last night.

I think eggs may bother him, too. Is that common? Is he too young to take to an allergist?

#23 of 74 Old 01-12-2010, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm giving up dairy...I think. I'm pretty sure it's a problem but want to talk to my mw about it. I'm pretty sure she'll agree.

<--this is both for my loss of dairy and for poor Levi who is just not happy. I feel so bad for him. I actually dreamed of giving him a bottle last night.

I think eggs may bother him, too. Is that common? Is he too young to take to an allergist?
I'm the the same boat with the elimination diet. I gave up eggs too as DD is severely allergic to eggs. Eggs are a common allergen. Too bad they are one of my fav foods, especially when I was vegetarian. At least I've been down this road before so I know what to do. No allergy test is 100% accurate and the tests seem to be less accurate for really young babies. The problem is that in order to come out positive, the child's body must have produced enough antibodies against the allergen. Allergies take repeated exposure in order to trigger the body's immune responses. So when they are really young, the test may turn out negative even if they do have an allergy just because the levels of antibodies are not high enough yet. I hope that makes sense. However, if Levi starts developing severe eczema, the allergist may be able to help you figure out ways to control it.

ETA: Despite allergy testing at 8 months, we didn't know the extent of DD's allergies until she started solids at 10 months. That was when she started having anaphylatic reactions to foods.

#24 of 74 Old 01-12-2010, 01:07 PM

Well, I'm 12 hours into no dairy, I already hate it.

But I've been reading information on the LLL site about over supply and foremilk/hindmilk imbalance and that all fits perfectly as well.

So I'm waiting for mw to call me back, drinking peppermint tea to help decrease milk supply and reading more.

This is hard.

#25 of 74 Old 01-12-2010, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Well, I'm 12 hours into no dairy, I already hate it.

But I've been reading information on the LLL site about over supply and foremilk/hindmilk imbalance and that all fits perfectly as well.

So I'm waiting for mw to call me back, drinking peppermint tea to help decrease milk supply and reading more.

This is hard.
I found the elimination diet to be most overwhelming the first 3 months with DD. At the last LLL conference, I attended a seminar in which the LC told us new research suggests foremilk/hindmilk imbalance does not exist. When milk comes out of the ducts, it swirls and mixes and the milk at the beginning a feed is pretty similar to the milk at the end of the feed.

#26 of 74 Old 01-12-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudbutterfly View Post

I also had a few symptoms of mastitis come on this Saturday. Most notably, a bright red spot with a red line snaking away from it and a sudden bout of extreme fatigue soon after it appeared. But I seem to have headed it off with something in the grapefruit seed extract/Emergen-C/probiotics/Advil/lots of water/breast massage/heat and cold regimen I immediately started until I could call a doctor (which I skipped now that it's better), because you can barely see where the red line was and the big red spot is localized now, and I never got any pain there or a fever or anything. I'm keeping a close watch on it and will get help if it gets at all worse again.
ugh, me too! On Sunday I had terrible pain, chills, and the red spot. The day before I went to a b-day party and wore a smaller bra... with the combo of baby sleeping in the sling for a bit longer and the bra... Ugh.

I drank a lot of emergency, advil, and did the massage in the shower, warm compresses and lots of nursing--

It seems to be better! I can still feel some clogginess but at least the redness and chills and pain are gone.

#27 of 74 Old 01-12-2010, 02:40 PM

Okay, well, I talked to my mw and she doesn't seem to think it's either problem. I'm keeping a detailed journal of what I eat, when he poops, when he eats and when he's fussy and well evaluate it next week at my appointment. She said I could keep eating normally while I keep this chart and then we'll make a decision.

She mentioned it could be thrush. Now I need to read about that.

#28 of 74 Old 01-12-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudbutterfly View Post
Questions: Is there anything else that soothes sore nipples other than lanolin and cold? Or makes them toughen up faster?
Cloud: My nipples were cracked and bleeding (ds even had blood in his spit up ). Two things really helped. My dr. gave me a prescription for All Purpose Nipple Ointment. It's a lifesaver. Ask your Dr. if they prescribe it. Also, nipple gel packs (either Medela or Lansinoh makes them). You can get both at Target or local drug stores. The Lansinoh one is called Soothies. They helped sooo much.

mumma to sweet 7 year old girl
and darling 2 year old guy

#29 of 74 Old 01-12-2010, 03:04 PM

Name: Henry

Baby's age: 3 weeks, adjusted/9 weeks actual age

Milestones/Updates: developmentally, I would say that H. is somewhere between his gestational/adjusted age and his actual age: he's not like a term two-month-old, but on the other hand his head control is solid at this point, he social smiles (I particularly like it when he looks at you very seriously and gets a thoughtful gleam in his eye and then breaks out the toothless grin.... already working the angles, this kid), is working on rolling.

This may sound kind of Pollyanna, but one of the fascinating things about having a premature baby was getting to see his pre-birth development happen outside the womb. It was like a little window into what would have been going on with him inside of me (obviously I would have preferred he stay put, but hey...)

He's also REALLY GOOD at nursing, which I am so happy about. We've just begun to master nighttime side-lying nursing, which was complicated at first due to my ginormous boobs, but we're getting there. Makes things so much easier in the middle of the night if I don't have to sit up, you know?

Questions: I may start a thread for this if it gets buried, but for those of you who do family bed and are (occasionally) able to put your baby down for a daytime nap on their own, how do you babyproof the bed? Henry fell so deeply asleep at the breast earlier that I left him in the bed, surrounded by pillows. Our mattress is on the floor and I checked on him frequently, but I felt a little unsure about it. Henry is on the verge of consistently being able to turn from back to side, and I worry a bit about him jamming his little face into the bed.

Also, babywearers, what are your favorite instructional videos? I haven't been able to find a babywearing group here, and I could use some tips to branch out beyond the few carries I keep falling back on.

Science-loving mama to one little guy (11/09).
#30 of 74 Old 01-12-2010, 03:34 PM

I found this in the babywearing forum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44snbbszTps

We started using it and Rassa loves it!

mama to Rassa, born 12/9/09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page