*o..* MEMBER SPOTLIGHT 1/11 & 1/12 - nina_yyc *..o* - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 01-12-2010, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HOW IT WORKS:
We will ask you questions, you will answer them, or if you just have any words of wisdom or basically anything you want to share, post it here- it is YOUR thread! we will have a good time!

(participants: basically no question is off limits, so ask away- but if she doesn't feel comfortable answering, she doesn't have to!)

These first few basic questions so we can all remember who you are!
Name:
DDC Baby's Name:
Family (partner, other children, and/or furbabies):

And a few more so we can get to know you better!
What number pregnancy was this for you?:
Hobbies/Interests:
Share one weird/interesting fact about yourself:

Di Linh, mama to DS1 (7), DD(4), DS2 (b 12/01/09)
#2 of 12 Old 01-12-2010, 06:07 PM

Name: Nina
DDC Baby's Name: Elliot
Family (partner, other children, and/or furbabies):Libby age 3, DP Wally age 31. He is a technical supervisor at a TV station and in the army reserves.

What number pregnancy was this for you?:
#3, 1 miscarriage @ 11w between kids
Occupation: Right now - living it up on maternity leave! By trade I'm a video editor. I've been working in the TV/video industry for 10 years. I am the luckiest girl in the industry to have a steady job and the day shift...both of these things are just about unheard of. The tradeoff is that I have to cut unbelievably banal entertainment-news or entertainment-doc type of shows...think VH1 on about 1/4 of the budget on Canadian Tier-3 cable. I won't bore you with clips of that, but here's a short film I cut for a friend. Click on the pic of the eyes in the rearview on this page: http://www.partnerpicturesinc.com/
Hobbies/Interests: Oh, the irony of that question in a forum full of people with new babies!! Um, changing diapers? Serious answer - DH and I love to hike and just bought some snowshoes, so hopefully we'll get out to the mountains in the next couple weeks. Before DD was born we did a backcountry trip at least once a year and I was rock climbing until DD got too mobile to be happy waiting around at the bottom of the route. When I was working I went to the gym a lot and volunteered for an environmental group. The volunteering is on hold for now, the gym I'll be getting back to soon. I also read a lot. I don't actually watch much TV despite the fact that I work in the industry...I am probably the only person who thinks they should watch MORE TV. Between DD's TV limits and DH's Xbox there isn't that much time.
Share one weird/interesting fact about :I will nurse anywhere. I have nursed in line at the grocery store and at a bus stop in a strapless dress. Yay boobs!
#3 of 12 Old 01-12-2010, 08:12 PM

Did you go to college? If so, did you major in your current field or did you discover that along the way?

Do you get a paid maternity leave, and if so, for how long?

How did you find MDC?
#4 of 12 Old 01-12-2010, 08:40 PM

How did you meet DP? How has the transition from 1 to 2 babies been?

First-time mama due on Dec 3rd 2009!
Update: Baby girl born Nov 19th!
#5 of 12 Old 01-12-2010, 08:55 PM

Did you go to college? If so, did you major in your current field or did you discover that along the way?
I went to a technical school for TV production. After high school I knew I wanted to do something creative and learn practical skills. I took a sports medicine class in high school where you actually got to do some hands-on learning and I was hooked - no way was I going to spend another 4 years in a classroom. It's worked out pretty well. I don't always love my job but my field still holds a lot of interest for me. When my kids are in school I might try starting my own business.

Do you get a paid maternity leave, and if so, for how long?
Yes, it's great! I get EI (Canadian gov't employment insurance - works out to about 50% of my salary) for a year. I find it pretty crazy that if I were American I'd be going back to work about NOW. I don't think I'd be sticking with a full time job through 2 kids if I lived south of the border.

How did you find MDC?
When I was pregnant with Libby I followed a link from a diapering site here. Aside from cloth diapers I had pretty much bought into the mainstream birth/baby care model...I didn't know there were other options. I was fascinated by all the 'freaks' and 'crazies' who were breastfeeding their 3yos...little did I know that I'd BF to 2.5! Thanks to this site I found the Baby Book and started to really like the idea of babywearing and breastfeeding. When DD was 6 weeks old I went to my first AP playgroup and say some toddlers BFing...so sweet. Haven't looked back.
#6 of 12 Old 01-12-2010, 09:09 PM

How did you meet DP? We worked together and we were both into making amateur films at the time. We worked at a TV station and he could hold a coherent political discussion at 5:30 a.m. when we were waiting for the breakfast show to start. I was impressed.

How has the transition from 1 to 2 babies been?Crazy! But awesome. It's so much more intense, but so much more fun than having one. DD was pretty out of control at first but she's settling down now. She has to be jumping on/touching the baby at all times which is really frustrating, but now that we're getting out of the house during the day she has another outlet for her energy. Luckily Elliot is a super-easy newborn so I'm OK for now. In a few months when I really have to divide my attention it's going to be a big challenge.
#7 of 12 Old 01-12-2010, 09:16 PM

what do you love about parenting? what do you hate?

if you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

#8 of 12 Old 01-13-2010, 01:17 AM

what do you love about parenting?
Right now - baby cuddles! I also love sharing activities with my kids and teaching them things. DD is learning to skate right now and she is soooo cute pushing her little chair around the ice. She is a real momma's girl and likes to cook and take care of the house with me - much more fun than doing it alone.

what do you hate?
I don't play pretend. I just get so bored saying the lines DD makes up for me...zzzz

if you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?

Real estate prices are no object and my whole extended family moves with me? Vancouver. I live in a beautiful city already with great access to the mountains, bur Vancouver has the slight edge because the weather is nicer, more interesting projects are available in my line of work, better music scene and fewer oil tycoons - more hippies.
#9 of 12 Old 01-13-2010, 01:57 PM

10 years ago could you see yourself where you are right now?

If you could change anything, would you?

knit.gifsewmachine.gifintactivist.giftreehugger.gif mama to one DS and one DD, equally amazing.

#10 of 12 Old 01-13-2010, 07:54 PM

10 years ago could you see yourself where you are right now?

No! 10 years ago I was a lot more career oriented. I was going to travel and move away and be an artist. Little did I know I would fall in love and want to stay here and have babies

If you could change anything, would you?
Well, crazy as it is to have a toddler and a 3yo, I did want closer spacing between sibs (maybe I should be careful what I wish for.) We didn't conceive Elliot right away and we waited a year to get serious and start charting - once we did that it took 4 months.
#11 of 12 Old 01-22-2010, 12:57 AM

What's the most beautiful place you've hiked?

Cloud, mommy to her happy little Nimbus, born 11/09!
#12 of 12 Old 01-22-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudbutterfly View Post
What's the most beautiful place you've hiked?
I really loved the lost coast trail in northern California. DH and I did a backpacking trip before we were married and it was incredible. We're used to the Canadian Rockies so walking beside the ocean was a whole new experience for us. I remember one day we had to wait for the tide to go out and we spent an entire morning watching sea lions on a rock. Then every night there was an incredible sunset. Aaaah, can't wait until my kids are older and we can do that kind of thing as a family!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page