We had a First Baby of the Year!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-14-2010, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Believe it or not, Charis was actually the first baby of the year. Our town has a contest every year, which I wasn't aware of, for the first baby of the year. My friend texted me that I should call to see if Charis qualified. My DH knew about it, but never told me to check. So, as I am driving back from the local ER to get my kids to go to Children's to meet 12yoDD (only 7 days PP, long story), I went ahead and called. She said that we were the first to call in, even on Jan 11, and to call them as soon as we were out of the hospital for a picture and interview. My friend said there were gifts, which were actually in our local paper that I hadn't read. That was neat, she got 4 - savings bonds, got a couple free dinners for two, a stuffed toy, some groceries, and baby stuff from our pharmacy. I chose a forehead thermometer thingie.

Such a blessing!! DH was home the next day, JIC he needed to be with the kids, but since we came home, it was nice to have him there to help me heal back up. I hadn't been hurting, but with all that walking and toting stuff at the ped hospital, I was by then. So, I called the paper early, and she set up the interview and pics. We had to pick up 15yoDS from wrestling practice, as it was either that, or from school. The reporter was very intrigued by our large family. We went through all the names and ages, and that 4 of them recently had birthdays (3 were done at friend's homes, since I was in one hospital or the other) as well as Charis' birth. But, I forgot the 2yo!! I couldn't believe it! I will never let myself forget that! It was the reporter that asked who he was. LOL Out of all of our children, he is the least forgettable!!

So, we got our picture, the usual questions. And, the one that I KNEW he would ask; will there be another one near this time in another 2 yrs? He caught on to our pattern of having children every 2 yrs, which are naturally spaced. I just laughed and said out loud to DH that I knew he was going to ask that. DH answered him after a laugh and a pause, told him what he always says, "It's up to the Big Guy Upstairs". I hope he doesn't quote him on that. (I have really been shook up about my QF beliefs, but I guess he is still pretty adament. Good thing one of us has enough faith for both.)

We got letters for the local business prizes promised and we will be front page news tomorrow. They didn't mention complimentary papers, so we will have to get at least ten. Grandmas were already asking for them. LOL We have been so close to having the first baby of the year several times, actually. 11yoDD was the 2nd baby of the year in the big city we were at. 6yoDS came on NYE instead, but I can't imagine waiting another hour for him. 4yoDD waited FOREVER to come out, but she could have been. 2yoDS due date was late Nov, so he wouldn't have been close, although born in Dec. So, FINALLY, got a first baby. LOL It did take a small town though. haha! Kymberli
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2010, 07:33 PM

That is so fun! Congrats on your new years baby!

Mandy, Jesus loving, homebirthing, cloth diapering, baby wearing, breastfeeding, non-vaxing, food growing, homeschooling, hippy mama of 4.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:25 PM

Awesome!! Free is always good.

Living Angel Baby Born 12/21/09
Three angels watching over us.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:36 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Congratulations!

We were joking throughout this pregnancy that we would have the first baby of the New Year, and we kept being told that we would get "free stuff" although nobody knew what this would include. In the end we missed out on this honour by a couple of days, so we still don't know what the prize would have been. It's probably better that way.

Enjoy your free stuff and your daughter!

Now mom to a boy born January 2010. 
Cautiously expecting Dec 2014!

12/08 (6 weeks),  1/13 (11 weeks), &  12/13 (9.5 weeks)
Old 01-16-2010, 02:04 AM - Thread Starter

We also had a baby Jan 3 11 yrs ago. She was the 2nd in that town, actually, so we missed it. Now, in KC area, the baby was born on the first, of course, but we live in a little town that actually has a contest. So, that is fun.

Got our papers today. Although they quoted my teenager the most, the reporter saved it from sounding too negative. Ha! I figured he sounded negative, but my son is actually pretty good with the babies. There was one time that he wanted us to have 12. Now, he is just a teenager though.

The pic was black and white though, so Charis kind of blended in with her little knitted pants and hat. Everyone else's colors weren't like that, except mine and hers, and I was holding her. But, when she had opened her eyes, I insisted the reporter to take a pic of her, and they put that on the bottom corner of the pic, of her little face. It is so cute.

Kymberli
Old 01-16-2010, 12:34 PM

cool!
Old 01-27-2010, 12:50 PM

Congrats! :

nak.gif Mommy to fencing.gifKai 2/03, hammer.gifCaden 1/08, energy.gif Kara 10/09, angel1.gif 3/21/13, &

rainbow1284.gif baby.gif  Cole 2/3/14 ♡ Happily unmarried to geek.gif Papa since 2002 ♡

~We may not have it all together  but together we have it all~ uc.jpgsaynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactivist.giflactivist.gif 

User Tag List