*o..* MEMBER SPOTLIGHT 1/16-1/18 - beep *..o* - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 01-16-2010, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm sorry I'm so late in posting this one today. I will give you an extra day.

HOW IT WORKS:
We will ask you questions, you will answer them, or if you just have any words of wisdom or basically anything you want to share, post it here- it is YOUR thread! we will have a good time!

(participants: basically no question is off limits, so ask away- but if she doesn't feel comfortable answering, she doesn't have to!)

These first few basic questions so we can all remember who you are!
Name:
DDC Baby's Name:
Family (partner, other children, and/or furbabies):

And a few more so we can get to know you better!
What number pregnancy was this for you?:
Hobbies/Interests:
Share one weird/interesting fact about yourself:

Di Linh, mama to DS1 (7), DD(4), DS2 (b 12/01/09)
#2 of 18 Old 01-16-2010, 11:38 PM

These first few basic questions so we can all remember who you are!
Name: beep
DDC Baby's Name: E
Family (partner, other children, and/or furbabies): Husband and a large extended family

What number pregnancy was this for you?: 3 (one abortion and one miscarriage previously)
Hobbies/Interests: I love love love to read. Also traveling, cooking, and gardening.
Share one weird/interesting fact about yourself: When I was a kid I wanted to be either a midwife (though I'd never been anywhere near a birth) or an astronaut when I grew up... Neither came to pass, but I remain interested in birth and space exploration!
#3 of 18 Old 01-17-2010, 08:11 AM

If you ended up not going into midwifing or space exploration, what did you end up doing?

How did having an abortion effect or not effect your feelings on having a pregnancy go to full term ?(I ask becuase I had an abortion also)

DS1 Dec 2009 fuzmalesling.gif DZ Twins July 2012 babyboy.gifbabygirl.gif

#4 of 18 Old 01-17-2010, 09:00 AM

Where abouts have you travelled too abd which places are still on your to do list?

Clare briefly mother for 3 weeks to Isabel 25-12-08, Soaking up every precious moment with my little guy Dec-10. My blog link is in my profile.

1********10**stork-suprise.gif ******20*********30*********40

#5 of 18 Old 01-17-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithappened View Post
If you ended up not going into midwifing or space exploration, what did you end up doing?
Well, I have worked in an office, done public health work, and now I'm learning to be a general primary health (including women's and reproductive health) provider.

Quote:
How did having an abortion effect or not effect your feelings on having a pregnancy go to full term ?(I ask becuase I had an abortion also)
I had at the time and still do have a great sense of clarity and peace-as well as sorrow-about my decision to end my first pregnancy. I always knew I wanted to be a mom, but at the time of my abortion, it wasn't clear to me that my health would ever make it safe for me to have a full-term pregnancy. Having a relationship within which I'd feel well supported in parenting also didn't seem like something I could definitely count on happening. My miscarrying my carefully planned and much-wanted second pregnancy also gave me a very strong awareness that there are no gaurantees about the health of the unborn. Therefore I have been so aware throughout my pregnancy and early parenting of this one just how wonderful it is that I get to do this. I can hardly believe how blessed I am. At the same time, there has been a bittersweetness as I hit each stage and think of my other two babies. I miss them, and my son does not replace them in my heart. I have to say also that so far I've found this pregnancy and first month quite challenging physically and emotionally, which has reinforced my sense that my abortion was a good decision-I am sure that I was right in thinking a pregnancy and child at that time and in those circumstances would have been disasterous for me and my child. Both my joy at this pregnancy and in my son and how difficult I've found it has reinforced my gratitude that abortion was available to me-this is enough of a risk and a challenge that I am glad I've been able to take it up mindfully, willingly, and joyfully.

I'd like to add that I absolutely am not trying to start any kind of debate or discussion about abortion as an issue-this is 100% my reflections on my own experiences and how they bear on my pregnancy and mothering.
#6 of 18 Old 01-17-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazer6 View Post
Where abouts have you travelled too abd which places are still on your to do list?
I have lived and traveled a fair amount in North America, Western Europe, and Asia. I have always wanted to spend time in many places in Africa-among the places I'd like to go are Egypt, Morocco and some of the East and South African big game parks on safari. I would also love to go to Peru.
#7 of 18 Old 01-17-2010, 12:01 PM

I've been to Egypt. Cairo is a crazy city - worth seeing, but not my speed. Aswan in the winter is awesome, as is the white desert.

What kind of books do you like reading?

mama to Rassa, born 12/9/09
#8 of 18 Old 01-17-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattooed Hand View Post
What kind of books do you like reading?
I will seriously read the back of the cereal box if nothing else is available, but by choice I read memoirs by nonfamous people, essays, fiction, science fiction, popular science, and popular social science. Oh, and kids' books, which I somehow never outgrew. Which I guess is a pretty broad selection.

I have completed reading just one book since I went to the hospital five weeks ago. Usually I might have read about 10 in that timespan. It will be interesting to see what being a mama does to my reading life long term.
#9 of 18 Old 01-17-2010, 02:15 PM

What is your plan when you're done being a student? How do you feel about the current healthcare situation? (asking because I'm in healthcare too)

What's your favorite season of the year and why?

Living Angel Baby Born 12/21/09
Three angels watching over us.
#10 of 18 Old 01-17-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doclegs View Post
What is your plan when you're done being a student? How do you feel about the current healthcare situation? (asking because I'm in healthcare too)
I would like to work in an academic setting where I can provide comprehensive primary care to women with complex health needs, do research on the most effective ways to deliver care, and do some clinical teaching too.

I am frustrated and sometimes appalled by the current health care system in the US. I think we are desparately in need of universal coveage and a better alignment of incentives for care providers, but I think it'll be a big challenge to get there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doclegs View Post
What's your favorite season of the year and why?
I love fall in 4-season climates the best. My favorite days are crisp and windy, with bright blue skies and bright leaves and autumn smells on the air. I love the colors and smells and that it's cool without being freezing and the foods (mmm... apples, pumpkins, brussels sprouts) and even though I'm an adult I associate fall with a nice sense of new beginnings because that's when the new school year started when I was little.
#11 of 18 Old 01-17-2010, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Ithappened, I know it's supposed to be me answering the ?s here but I would be very interested to hear your answer to this question too if you'd be willing to share it.
#12 of 18 Old 01-17-2010, 10:57 PM

busy weekend, missed your thread! but enjoyed reading it!
#13 of 18 Old 01-18-2010, 05:24 PM

You like gardening - do you tend vegetables or flowers/plants (or both!)? Have you lived in the same place you are now on the east coast for a long time? I am asking because I've lived in my house for 10 years now and also like gardening but it is hard on my property so I switched to some indoor plants like orchids...

If you want to sound wise, go to school. If you want to be wise, go to nature.
My 3 sons! 8/92, 1/97 & 12/09!!
#14 of 18 Old 01-18-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beep View Post
I have lived and traveled a fair amount in North America, Western Europe, and Asia. I have always wanted to spend time in many places in Africa-among the places I'd like to go are Egypt, Morocco and some of the East and South African big game parks on safari. I would also love to go to Peru.
Morocco's also on my to do list. We live near one of the ferry ports so we're planning to go exploring at some point. I met a woman on a ferry with a bunch of bikers who go offroading every year there. Apparantly the southern part is really nice and women friendly. She told me though ifyou're in someone's house don't admire an object as apparantly the family have to give it to you.

Clare briefly mother for 3 weeks to Isabel 25-12-08, Soaking up every precious moment with my little guy Dec-10. My blog link is in my profile.

1********10**stork-suprise.gif ******20*********30*********40

#15 of 18 Old 01-19-2010, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ears73 View Post
You like gardening - do you tend vegetables or flowers/plants (or both!)? Have you lived in the same place you are now on the east coast for a long time? I am asking because I've lived in my house for 10 years now and also like gardening but it is hard on my property so I switched to some indoor plants like orchids...
I am firmly planted (tee hee!) in the vegetable camp. I think some of them are quite beautiful, and I also just like feeling connected to & really knowing my food. I actually just (at 37 weeks!) finished moving to a new house. I have been plotting where in the yard the garden will go. For many years, though, I grew vegetables in a garden of large containers at various apartments/condos on both coasts. I have an ambition this year to grow some plants like watermelon that are tricky in containers.

I used to have many orchids and enjoy them a lot. However, when I moved cross country by plane I had to leave them behind.
#16 of 18 Old 01-21-2010, 11:20 PM

What was your favorite book that you read during your pregnancy?

Cloud, mommy to her happy little Nimbus, born 11/09!
#17 of 18 Old 01-22-2010, 01:20 AM

I can hardly remember all I read during pregnancy... Of the books I read in general, it might have been Barbara Kingsolver's Prodigal Summer (which I reread). Of the pregnancy/birth themed books... I loved Larson's Embryology when I was pregnant (though it's a dense textbook), Expecting Adam by Martha Beck, and Operating Instructions by Anne Lamott.
#18 of 18 Old 01-22-2010, 05:18 PM

Oooooh, loved Prodigal Summer, and Expecting Adam! Both are very memorable for me!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page