Gas...help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-19-2010, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Avett suffers from crazy gas! He rips some farts that put his dad's to shame...but more importantly, they seem to hurt him and prevent him from sleeping. His gas pains tend to wake him up - he typically wakes after an hour or less of sleep writhing, grunting, straining, kicking, and ultimately farting...I feel like if he were less gassy he would get more sleep - he is obviously exhausted and wants to get back to sleep but can't cause he hurts too much!

I feel like I've tried everything....I've cut out caffeine, dairy, fart-causing foods like broccoli, etc...he's on Mylicon, probiotics, and gripe water...

Is anyone else having this problem with their baby?
#2 of 9 Old 01-19-2010, 02:49 PM

Have you tried baby massage?

Di Linh, mama to DS1 (7), DD(4), DS2 (b 12/01/09)
#3 of 9 Old 01-19-2010, 02:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
DDC crashing. Tomatoes are a big thing for my babies. They don't just get gas but they scream in pain about 4 hrs after I eat them. Might be worth a try ...
#4 of 9 Old 01-19-2010, 03:22 PM

Henry got gassy (and unhappy about it) right around the time he shifted from many-poops-a-day to pooping much less often. In retrospect, I attribute it to a maturing digestive system: I thought about tracking my eating habits, but frankly there has tended to be a lot of confirmation bias in new parenthood for me - I get very "Oh, I did THIS and then he did THAT!" as though correlation implies causation, failing to take into account the fact that his entire organism is changing tremendously on a daily basis. So I try to be leery of oversimplifying what's going on.

I did try gas drops, but saw no effect. The internet also implied that studies of gas drops were inconclusive, so I dunno.

The very uncomfortably gassy phase lasted about two weeks. He still gets gassy and grouchy about it (it's pretty funny when he farts loudly and startles himself) but nothing that isn't mostly soothed after a few minutes of laying on his tummy on my chest or bicycling his legs. I didn't change my eating habits, his system just... did most of whatever it was doing.

Babies are so complicated!

Science-loving mama to one little guy (11/09).
#5 of 9 Old 01-19-2010, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
mine is like that too and it's been almost 3 weeks. What you are describing was accompanied by a persistent diaper rash and growing patches of ezcema so I tend to think mine is food or environment related. I'm on day four of my elimination diet and while she is still gassy, it's back down to manageable levels. (Things had gotten to the point that she was waking up every hour and screaming and crying from the pain.)

I would watch for other signs and if the gas and pain gets worse.

mama to Rassa, born 12/9/09
#6 of 9 Old 01-20-2010, 09:50 PM

Aaliyah went through the same thing for a few weeks and it has subsided the past few days (she's almost 9 weeks). I really do think it has to do with her maturing digestive system. I had cut out straight milk weeks ago, but I'm going to drink some today and see if there's a difference.

First-time mama due on Dec 3rd 2009!
Update: Baby girl born Nov 19th!
#7 of 9 Old 01-21-2010, 08:53 PM

Poor Avett!

Eleanor is dealing with it too. What has helped for us is I cut out dairy (omg, i miss cheese!) and we started swaddeling her at night. No idea why the swaddle works, but it seems to help.

Hope things are better soon!
#8 of 9 Old 01-22-2010, 05:58 AM

Quote:
No idea why the swaddle works, but it seems to help.

DS1 Dec 2009 fuzmalesling.gif DZ Twins July 2012 babyboy.gifbabygirl.gif

#9 of 9 Old 01-24-2010, 11:03 PM

Ugh - the gas days. I remember those sleep-deprived days/nights very well. My DD is now 7 1/2 mos. old. She had severe gas also. It wasn't until 2 1/2 - 3 mos old that we started noticing a difference. We spent soooo much $$ on gas drops, some homeopathic product and nothing seemed to work. I cut out dairy and we tried some massage too. The only thing that made it better was the passage of time - until her digestive system could mature. Hang in there, it WILL get better.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page