*o..* MEMBER SPOTLIGHT 1/20 & 1/21 - justmandy *..o* - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 01-19-2010, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HOW IT WORKS:
We will ask you questions, you will answer them, or if you just have any words of wisdom or basically anything you want to share, post it here- it is YOUR thread! we will have a good time!

(participants: basically no question is off limits, so ask away- but if she doesn't feel comfortable answering, she doesn't have to!)

These first few basic questions so we can all remember who you are!
Name:
DDC Baby's Name:
Family (partner, other children, and/or furbabies):

And a few more so we can get to know you better!
What number pregnancy was this for you?:
Hobbies/Interests:
Share one weird/interesting fact about yourself:

Di Linh, mama to DS1 (7), DD(4), DS2 (b 12/01/09)
#2 of 16 Old 01-20-2010, 01:25 PM

nak

Name: Mandy
DDC Baby's Name: Levi
Family (partner, other children, and/or furbabies): Dh for 11.5 years, dd, 9 ds1 6 next week, ds2, 4. I'm not a big fan of animals.

And a few more so we can get to know you better!
What number pregnancy was this for you?:
Hobbies/Interests: Oh so many! I knit, crochet, sew (not very well, though)paint, paper craft-not scrapbooking, read a lot, watch tv, enjoy my kids, huge part of my church, cook from scratch...I like to make things harder then they have to be
Share one weird/interesting fact about yourself: I got married before i got my drivers liscence-how KY is that?

Mandy, Jesus loving, homebirthing, cloth diapering, baby wearing, breastfeeding, non-vaxing, food growing, homeschooling, hippy mama of 4.
#3 of 16 Old 01-20-2010, 01:58 PM

How do you manage your scratch cooking and the kids? We're big scratch cookers here, too. But I must admit that my DH does a lot of cooking. I typically do the bread and stuff you can leave out on the counter and not suffer food poisoning. But seriously, what are you tips and tricks? Do you do batch cooking, etc?

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

#4 of 16 Old 01-20-2010, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

How did you meet your DH? Did you always think you'd marry and start a family young? Did you have any jobs before kids?

#5 of 16 Old 01-20-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
How do you manage your scratch cooking and the kids? We're big scratch cookers here, too. But I must admit that my DH does a lot of cooking. I typically do the bread and stuff you can leave out on the counter and not suffer food poisoning. But seriously, what are you tips and tricks? Do you do batch cooking, etc?

Do you have a Wii? That's how I get anything done. It's not the best parenting strategy but it works for me. Dh and I are both gamers so it's natrual for our kids to be as well. (As natrual as gaming can be, I guess)

I do batch cooking and freeze a ton of stuff. I dont' have a schedule or plan a cooking day, when the mood stikes I'll bake 72 muffins, when I make anything like soup/chili I make a HUGE pot and freeze several dinners worth. I buy chicken when it's on sale and cook, shred and freeze it all to use in meals later. This cooking has evolved over the years and is what works for me right now.

Not everything we eat is from scratch. I rarely make bread, I've been known to buy pancake mix...it's all about what we need at the moment, better food or more time.

Mandy, Jesus loving, homebirthing, cloth diapering, baby wearing, breastfeeding, non-vaxing, food growing, homeschooling, hippy mama of 4.
#6 of 16 Old 01-20-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evinmom View Post
How did you meet your DH? Did you always think you'd marry and start a family young? Did you have any jobs before kids?
We're high school sweethearts. We met when we were 15 and 16 and knew within a month that we were going to be together forever. I thought in high school that I'd go to college and be some sort of scientist, biologist probably, but life took a different turn for me. My dad kicked me out of my house right after I graduated and I was going to move to Ohio with my mom but we decided to get married instead and live with my ILs while dh finished technical school. After a year we moved out and it seemed like it was time to start a family.

I come from a long line of teenage pregnancies so really, I was quite old and established when I started having kids.

I worked mostly retail and had some pretty great jobs (managing a paint your own pottery store was awesome) but with no training and 4 kids it would cost me money to work right now. I'm sure I will again at some point.

#7 of 16 Old 01-20-2010, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

I think you mentioned elsewhere that you homeschool. How did you come about that decision?

#8 of 16 Old 01-20-2010, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evinmom View Post
I think you mentioned elsewhere that you homeschool. How did you come about that decision?
Well, there are many reasons we homeschool. First is our faith, I feel God called us onto this path and we'll stay here until we hear otherwise. Another reason is my dd, she's a bit shy, has SPD, is sencitive and I desparatly want her to be celebrated for who she is. I kept her home to preserve her spirit. Educationally, I believe in unschooling far more then teaching to the standardised tests. We do use some curriculum, some of the time and I'll do what my chirdren need when they need it, for now, self guided exploration is our main teacher.

My boys had some issues, speach delay and SPD so they went to school to get their therapies. Once they had met their goals, we brought them home and it was one of things we've done. I love how well I can know my kids since I'm with them almost 24/7. I love how close they are and that they are such good friends. It's very important to me that they have both a strong connection to family and are independant. I can accoplish both of those things only by homeschooling.

#9 of 16 Old 01-20-2010, 10:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What do you most enjoy about your faith and the ways in which you participate in the community around it? (I am curious about this because I grew up with zero religion in my life).

What types of books do you most like to read?

mama to Rassa, born 12/9/09
#10 of 16 Old 01-21-2010, 08:44 AM

Do you like Kentucky? If yes, how so? I've been to almost every state but yours.

Also, do you want to live any where else and would you move your family? I ask because I like where I am but also contemplate moving to have a new experience... I've been in the same place for a long time as it sounds like you have!

If you want to sound wise, go to school. If you want to be wise, go to nature.
My 3 sons! 8/92, 1/97 & 12/09!!
#11 of 16 Old 01-21-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattooed Hand View Post
What do you most enjoy about your faith and the ways in which you participate in the community around it? (I am curious about this because I grew up with zero religion in my life).
I most enjoy the peace I have through my faith. The second best thing is the community. I'm very involved in my church, it's only 5 years old and we've been there for 4.5 years, it's exciting to be a part of something new. I love the authentic relationships that have formed, the challenges I get both in daily life and in my spiritual life.

I didn't grow up in a religous home either. Actually, I still wouldn't consider myself religous. I'm in love with Jesus and want to know him more and the more I get to know him, the more I want to grow that relationship (like any loving relationship).

Quote:
What types of books do you most like to read?
Christian Fiction, mostly. I love historical fiction. Some nonfiction, I read books about yarn, books about prayer, books about finances. I'm reading a Ted Dekker book right now, way out of my norm, but it's bot my book club and I'm trying to get through it.

Quote:
Do you like Kentucky? If yes, how so? I've been to almost every state but yours.
I love Kentucky. It's perfect. We have all 4 seasons but none of them extreem. It snows, but never a lot and it doesn't get too cold, crocuses come up in February, the summer is hot enough to swim but not too hot to garden or take a walk...it's great.

The mountains are beautiful, the history is rich, it's fairly inexpencive, it's a whole state away from each of my parents so I don't have to deal with them often

Quote:
Also, do you want to live any where else and would you move your family? I ask because I like where I am but also contemplate moving to have a new experience... I've been in the same place for a long time as it sounds like you have!
I don't think I would want to go anywhere else. I moved a lot in my first 14 years of life and never felt grounded. I have roots here. I have the best friends anyone could want, they are my family. My in-laws are here and have been for 100's of years. I love that kind of history. I wouldn't take my kids away from what they know.

It's funny, I used to be adventurous. I used to get antsy about living in one place for so long. We've been in our house for 6.5 years...that's the longest I've lived in one place.

Maybe when I'm an empty nester I'll move somewhere exciting.

#12 of 16 Old 01-21-2010, 02:28 PM

Do you think about what you'll do when your kids are all grown and the nest is empty? Do you make plans now for that time, or just kind-of wait to see what happens?

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

#13 of 16 Old 01-21-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmel23 View Post
Do you think about what you'll do when your kids are all grown and the nest is empty? Do you make plans now for that time, or just kind-of wait to see what happens?
I do think about it, every time I want to do something that I can't right now. I'd like to learn to throw pottery, spin yarn, make rugs and so much more. I plan to start taking classes when my kids are teenagers to help make the transition easier. I'll be establishing my non-mom self before it hits me like a freight train.

Then again, I'm planning on becoming a foster parent in about 5 years or so...maybe I'll never be an empty nester!

#14 of 16 Old 01-21-2010, 09:55 PM

What, if anything, would you never have expected to like abour parenting that you really enjoy? (Mine is changing diapers...I always dreaded it when I thought of having kids, but now I think it's always an adventure! You never know what you'll find. Plus we have tons of fun making each other smile while he up on the changing table before, during and after.)

Cloud, mommy to her happy little Nimbus, born 11/09!
#15 of 16 Old 01-22-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudbutterfly View Post
What, if anything, would you never have expected to like abour parenting that you really enjoy? (Mine is changing diapers...I always dreaded it when I thought of having kids, but now I think it's always an adventure! You never know what you'll find. Plus we have tons of fun making each other smile while he up on the changing table before, during and after.)
My 9 year old. I generally don't like kids from about second grade till middle school, but I like her, she's funny and interesting.

Prefolds. I really just bought them as back ups and to stuff pockets and they are my favorite, I"m currently building my stash to almost exclusively prefolds.

#16 of 16 Old 01-22-2010, 05:16 PM

Sorry I didn't get to join in on your thread in time! But I enjoyed learning more about you! Very interesting!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page