*o..* MEMBER SPOTLIGHT 1/22 & 1/23 - Cloudbutterfly *..o* - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-21-2010, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HOW IT WORKS:
We will ask you questions, you will answer them, or if you just have any words of wisdom or basically anything you want to share, post it here- it is YOUR thread! we will have a good time!

(participants: basically no question is off limits, so ask away- but if she doesn't feel comfortable answering, she doesn't have to!)

These first few basic questions so we can all remember who you are!
Name:
DDC Baby's Name:
Family (partner, other children, and/or furbabies):

And a few more so we can get to know you better!
What number pregnancy was this for you?:
Hobbies/Interests:
Share one weird/interesting fact about yourself:

Di Linh, mama to DS1 (7), DD(4), DS2 (b 12/01/09)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 01-21-2010, 09:51 PM

nak on my phone's keyboard, so maybe I'll be able to resist the temptation to be as long-winded as I normally am!

Name: Cloud
DDC Baby's Name: Nimbus
Family (partner, other children, and/or furbabies): DH + 2 cats

What number pregnancy was this for you?: #1
Occupation: former pastry cook/b&b chef turned aspiring novelist/food blogger (aka unemployed, though I do make a little money from my writing/photography through the blog)...now mostly a SAHM until I can figure out how to get more time at the keyboard/in the kitchen
Hobbies/Interests: baking, really fancy pastry stuff, vegetarian cooking, writing, editing/critquing other people's writing, reading (mostly scifi/fantasy and nonfiction book researh now, though I studied British and South Asian literature in college), computer/video games (no time for or interest in that that until Nimbus can play them with me), photography, drawing, painting, movies/tv, traveling, theatre (in high school, I was working toward going into acting)
Share one weird/interesting fact about yourself: I've visited and photographed about 20 cemeteries for book research in the past few years. I even planned the itinerary of a family trip to Europe around the cemeteries I wanted to see.

Cloud, mommy to her happy little Nimbus, born 11/09!
#3 of 11 Old 01-22-2010, 02:37 AM

I love cemeteries, too. Strangely, my kids always want to go to this one Cemetery we drive by every day.

Why do you like cemeteries? If you could act in any movie, which movie would it be and what role would you like to act in?

and what kind of novel do you want to write--mystery, sci fi, literary, etc?

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

#4 of 11 Old 01-22-2010, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
In college there was a cemetary behind my dorm and I used to go there to lay a blanket out and study (it was quiet). There was this hilarious gravestone I used to sit by which had the guy's name and dates and then below was engraved a picture of a pot bellied, balding man (him?) in a hawaiian shirt, sitting in a lawn chair, with a beer in one hand and a cigar (with big puffs of smoke) in the other. I wish I could have met this person with the great sense of humor.

What sci fi/fantasy stuff do you like?

How do you like Seattle? How long have you lived there? DH and I lived there for a year (he's from there), a few years back and I thought the winter was really hard. No sun!

mama to Rassa, born 12/9/09
#5 of 11 Old 01-22-2010, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

What is your favorite pastry to make?

Is motherhood how you thought it would be?

Di Linh, mama to DS1 (7), DD(4), DS2 (b 12/01/09)
#6 of 11 Old 01-22-2010, 08:32 PM

Where have you traveled and what place was your favorite?
#7 of 11 Old 01-22-2010, 08:43 PM

I am always curious how people found MDC!
#8 of 11 Old 01-23-2010, 10:42 PM

Why do you like cemeteries?

My original interest in them came from the idea for my novel, which evolved more and more to focus on cemeteries as I developed the plot and characters. But since I've been visiting so many of them, the things that stand out to me are the beauty of the places--sometimes from the artistry that went into the stone carving, sometimes in the landscaping, sometimes just in the poignancy of a broken headstone--and all of the unexpected and strange things you can find in cemeteries. It's weird what some people want to leave behind for the world to remember them by!

If you could act in any movie, which movie would it be and what role would you like to act in?

Um...hmm. Originally, I wanted to be a Shakespearean actress, so probably Beatrice in a movie version of Much Ado About Nothing. That was the movie that originally inspired me to want to be an actress. Later, I wanted to do musical theater. I never could've pulled off the accent, but starring in My Fair Lady would've been my dream part. All the songs are perfectly in my range.

and what kind of novel do you want to write--mystery, sci fi, literary, etc?

I have two that I'm working on. One is on the literary side of fantasy, and the other one is urban fantasy.

#9 of 11 Old 01-23-2010, 10:58 PM

In college there was a cemetary behind my dorm and I used to go there to lay a blanket out and study (it was quiet). There was this hilarious gravestone I used to sit by which had the guy's name and dates and then below was engraved a picture of a pot bellied, balding man (him?) in a hawaiian shirt, sitting in a lawn chair, with a beer in one hand and a cigar (with big puffs of smoke) in the other. I wish I could have met this person with the great sense of humor.

That sounds like this one headstone I found that was just nuts...I'll try to find a picture of it. I tried googling the guy's name but couldn't find out anything about him.

What sci fi/fantasy stuff do you like?

Recently, I've been really into George R.R. Martin and Carol Berg. It had been so long since I'd discovered new authors I really liked that it was a real treat to find a couple with a number of books out already. I've become much, much pickier since I started writing and learning a lot about the craft. Most books leave me wondering how these people ever got published...and then I remind myself that they actually finished their books, so I have no right to judge.

How do you like Seattle? How long have you lived there? DH and I lived there for a year (he's from there), a few years back and I thought the winter was really hard. No sun!

I love Seattle, but then I've lived in the area almost my whole life. I get sunburns pretty easily, so I avoid the sun anyway. It's been getting a lot sunnier here the last few years...annoying for me, but everyone else likes it. I've lived in Seattle itself for almost eight years now. We moved up here right after I graduated from college and right before we got married. I like the food culture here...it's really easy to be a vegetarian and eat really well, and we get a really wide range of ethnic food, and get it before it becomes popular or even available elsewhere in the US.

#10 of 11 Old 01-24-2010, 04:44 AM

Where have you traveled and what place was your favorite?

Turkey, Costa Rica, London, Paris, across north Italy, around the US, and then over the borders into Canada and Mexico. I really loved Turkey. Costa Rica is absolutely beautiful, but after going to Turkey I missed the ancient ruins. I'd really love to go back to Paris, and to live in London for awhile...well, I wish I'd done a semester or something in London in college, since I don't see the kind of living there that I'd like to do happening now.

What is your favorite pastry to make?

I have my standbys that I make often, but I'm not sure what my favorite would be. My favorite thing to do in pastry school were showpieces...you know like on those Food Network competitions with chocolate or sugar. I also like decorating cakes, but I'm not a fan of making the cakes that I decorate, so that's kind of a problem. I like fancy restaurant desserts with tons of components, but that's a lot of work to go through at home. I'm not a big fan of work, really....

Is motherhood how you thought it would be?

Yes? No? I'm not sure. I'm leaning toward "no." I'd read up on breastfeeding, but I had no concept of how much of a full time job it would be, even knowing that it would be on an every 2-3 hours schedule at first. I never expected to like changing diapers. A lot of the things I thought would be easy are hard and visa versa. I never really expected to love it this much, even though I knew I'd love him and that the responsibility of motherhood would be good for me. I thrive on routine, and I haven't had much of any routine or responsibility for a few years, so I've been happier than I can remember being. Except for the last two days, but an out of nowhere return to sleep dep will do that to you. I just hope things get back to normal soon, between him being sore from vaccinations and us both getting over thrush.

I am always curious how people found MDC!

I can't remember how I got here, but I remember it was in 2005 when I was just starting to think about having kids. Truthfully, I wanted an excuse to quit working because I was in so much pain when I worked, so it wasn't the right time, but somehow I ended up here and learning a lot about AP and so on. It was a good education for when we did decide to start a family, because a lot of the things I've learned about here I just would've done naturally, but some never would have occurred to me as things you might do a different way, like circumcision and so on.

#11 of 11 Old 01-25-2010, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudbutterfly View Post
also like decorating cakes, but I'm not a fan of making the cakes that I decorate, so that's kind of a problem. I like fancy restaurant desserts with tons of components, but that's a lot of work to go through at home. I'm not a big fan of work, really....
no kidding! me, too. I hate doing the dishes after cooking/baking--so that is the part that discourages me...

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page