Graydon's Birth Story - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-22-2010, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was scheduled for induction on January 4, at 42w 4d. I did not want to be induced, I wanted my body to go into labor on its own. I had already pushed back this induction from the previous week. However, I decided to go through with the induction considering how overdue I was. I thought he'd be born by Christmas, and there it was, a week into January and still no baby.

My husband and I woke up at around 5am that morning to get to my scheduled induction at 6:30am. We had only gotten about 3 to 4 hours of sleep the night before as we were used to staying up late. We got to the hospital and my midwife met us there to put the first cytotec 25mg pill in me. My cervix was not open or effaced, which was frustrating because it had been a fingertip dilated and 90% effaced a couple weeks before. I had to stay on the monitor for one to two hours, I can't remember exactly. After that time was up, we were told to walk the hallways to help get things going, so we walked and walked and walked until about 9am when they brought in the breakfast tray. We had breakfast and walked for 2 more hours until it was time for the next pill. I was checked again and was at 1cm, so, wanting to avoid more drugs, I pushed off the next pill for another hour and walked more. An hour later, I was checked again and was still 1cm, so I got the second dose and stayed on the monitor for a bit more. I was having contractions fairly regularly, but they were painless. 5 hours after getting the second dose, I was checked again and was 2cm. This was very slow progress I thought. They offered to give me a third dose or I could go home. From what I heard about cytotec, I did NOT want a third dose, so we went home around 4 or 5pm. On the way home, my husband and I stopped at Taco Bell to get some supper since they wouldn't let me eat lunch the nurses only let me have jello or chicken broth. So, we ate dinner and went home. We went to sleep early, around 7pm since we didn't get much sleep the night before.

At 10pm, I woke up to use the bathroom, stood up from laying in bed and I felt a warm liquid come out. I wondered if that was really my water breaking, then it came out a lot more and didn't stop, and by the time I got to the bathroom (about 10 feet from my room) my pants were soaked through! I was suprised and relieved that the water was clear! I was worried there would be meconium, being so overdue. There was red flecks in the fluid, and I wondered what it was. I yelled for my husband to get up and told him my water broke. I changed clothes and my husband called the hospital to let them know we were coming. We headed out and got there at 11pm. I started having contractions around the time we got there, this time they were painful, but not any worse than some menstrual cramping. I went to use the bathroom and more blood came out. I asked the nurse if that was okay, and she said it was fine, and it was just the bloody show. Phew! That was a relief, and I felt a little silly that I didn't know that to begin with I had to stay on the monitor for about an hour when I got there. Baby still looked healthy.

The nurse kept checking my temp and I got a fever of 100, so I was put on antibiotics two different times that night.

After being on the monitor, they had me walk the halls more. Then around 3am, I was checked and only at 3cm. I was happy I was making progress, but wish it was more and faster. This is where the story gets boring. For the next 8 or so hours I went from being monitored to walking the halls again and again. My husband was updating the family with what was going on, and every time my mom called the room, he had to give her the same answer, "She's still at 3cm.." The contractions hurt pretty badly when I was laying down, I really had to concentrate on breathing through them. But when I was standing, they were much less painful, so I kept standing and walking as much as I could.

Around 10am or so, my midwife came in to check on me and gave me some options. I chose to go with an epidural/pitocin since I was still at 3cm, and had gotten a total of 6 or 7 hours of sleep in the past 2 days, and I was exhausted! I should mention here that this whole time, I had a nasty cold with congested nose, coughing, and I had even lost my voice, so this whole time, I had to talk to everyone in a whisper. That was annoying! Anyways, the anesthesiologist, showed up and I knew it would hurt for the needle to go into my back, but I was NOT prepared for how much it really hurt! My painful contractions were much more manageable than getting an epidural!! My husband was standing in front of me to support me as the epidural was going in, and I was clutching his hand so hard, and had my eyes closed so tight! I was trying hard not to cry from the pain, but I could no longer hold it in, and the tears were streaming down my face. In fact, it seemed like my tears were actually squirting out of my eyes! That was the worst pain I've ever felt in my life, and I've had several kidney stones! What's worse? This person giving it to me missed 3 times!!! and they didn't tell me until after it was over that she was new! When it was finally in, and they had me lay down, I noticed a large pool/spot of blood on the bed, apparently it was from her missing the right spot I'm never getting an epidural again. I'd rather feel the pain from pitocin contractions and birth. Though, after it was in place, it was the perfect amount of pain relief!! I could still feel sensations on my skin and move my legs and hips, but didn't feel the pain of contractions, so I could finally fall asleep. My legs constantly felt like that feeling you get right when you think your legs are falling asleep so you shift position to prevent getting numb. I was very pleased that I could still move and feel things but not painful things.

From 11am to 3pm, I slept on and off. I stayed on my left side. I was checked at 3pm and was still 3cm, but now was 50% effaced. This made me realize that laying on my side was better than walking around. I tried laying on my other side (the side I was on when I was sleeping the night before when my water broke) and was checked again around 5 or 6pm and was 6 to 7cm!! Yay progress!! This made me wonder if my labor would've gone much quicker if I would've just layed on my right side to begin with. Around this time, my mom and sister arrived at the hospital. My sister was to be my doula. Around 7pm or so, I started shaking uncontrollably; I was in transition! I was feeling pretty good at this point that I would birth this baby before 10pm (24 hours after water breaking). My midwife arrives some time around here. I started getting intense pains in my lower back with the contractions, so I had my husband rub where it was hurting and needed the epidural upped because it was really hurting. Eventually the epi kicked in more, and I felt better (as did my husband, who's arm was getting sore from rubbing me so hard for so long) I started feeling downward pressure with the contractions, so I tried pushing a bit on my side. I was pushing with every contraction now, so my midwife said I should be on my back and hold the handles on the bed for leverage, so I did and that helped. I could push harder that way. My husband was on my left, holding my leg and my sister and a nurse were on my right, holding my other leg and everyone was encouraging me.

Pushing was difficult. I felt like I wasn't getting anywhere. It may have been the lack of sensation from the epidural, I don't know. Everyone kept telling me to push harder, and I thought I was pushing as hard as I could, but eventually, I found some new power I've never felt before and pushed harder. That was a new sensation! I could feel his head moving down and out of me, but I couldn't hold that power behind the pushes for very long, which made his head slide back in. That was very disappointing. I was breathing so hard and I was so sick with this cold that I didn't feel like my lungs were inflating when I was trying to breathe, so it felt like I was suffocating. I requested oxygen and got it, but I don't think it helped. Because I couldn't hold the extra strong pushes for long enough to make any more progress, I asked my midwife to use the vaccuum, but she said she doesn't use it, and had to call in her associate OB to use it. While we were waiting for him, I kept pushing, and everyone said they could see his head, and I put my hand down there and felt his squishy head and little bit of hair. He was right there!! Why was he not coming out? I kept pushing hard, but I had to stop shortly after because I felt like I was going to pass out from not breathing. I guess that's why he wasn't coming.

The OB arrived with the vaccuum, and used it. I thought he was rough with it. He had to stretch me to get it on the baby's head and then it kept falling off his head as he pulled while I pushed. I worried about my baby's head, but I knew I couldn't do this alone now, I didn't have the energy/oxygen in my body to do it. I don't know how long it was, maybe 10 minutes of doing this, and I felt the ring of fire only on the top half of the "ring" and felt myself stretch a lot more and heard someone (I don't know who) say "he's crowning!" and I was pushing as hard as I could when I felt a *pop* and knew his head just popped out! I felt wonderful emotionally at this point! I regret keeping my eyes closed during most of the pushing stage. I would've liked to see more of what was going on, but it was involuntary to keep them closed. Shortly after his head was out, his shoulders squeezed through and the rest of his body followed, and I remember thinking "wow, he's really long, he's still coming out!" He was born 1 hour and 10 minutes after I started pushing.

I think he passed some meconium as he was coming out, because I heard my midwife say something like that, but I didn't ask about it any further. They got the vacuum off his head and put him on my chest, skin to skin. One of the first things I noticed was that he has a small bump of extra skin on his ear, about the size of a pimple, and I thought "That's unique to my son, whenever I see it, I'll think about this moment" and I do! I was stroking his head and his body and I thought he was really slippery. We rubbed him with a towel a bit so that he would cry, which he did. His apgar scores were 8/9, 8 because his color was just a little off at first. His hands and feet were grey and wrinkled, signs of post maturity from being overdue. We waited for the cord to stop pulsing. At one point, I felt something vibrate and asked what that was, and my midwife laughingly said "That's the cord!" and I was suprised to hear that, I didn't know cords vibrated! I knew they pulsed, but not violently vibrate like that. I assume it was just sending the last bit of blood to my baby. The cord was clamped and my husband cut it. Very shortly after that, I felt pushy again. The placenta came out in 2 contractions and one push. That was a weird sensation! The placenta was just starting to calcify a little bit. I thought the amniotic sac looked so small compared to this baby on my chest, how could he possibly fit in there!? I ended up with a 3rd degree tear and was getting my stitches, and it hurt a bit since my epidural was pretty low dosed. I also needed one stitch upward.

I tried breast feeding him right there, at first he just licked and nibbled, but then got latched. We were ready for him to get his stats, so he got weighed and measured: 9 pounds 12.5 oz, 21 1/2 inches long, 15.44 inch head!! The nurse was very impressed! He is the heaviest baby in the family! We got his foot prints in his baby book and they take up the whole area given!

Graydon was born Jan. 5, 23 hours after my water broke, and 41 hours after my first cytotec dose. He is now 2 1/2 weeks old and 10 pounds 5 oz and eating a lot!

ribbonrainbow.gifMarried to my photosmile2.gif / geek.gif husband, trying to keep up with mybabyf.gif born 1/2010, and we have one dog2.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 01-22-2010, 07:46 PM

Congratulations! Thanks for sharing your story.
#3 of 6 Old 01-22-2010, 07:48 PM

I had a vacuum delivery too. How are you healing? How is baby doing now?
#4 of 6 Old 01-22-2010, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nina_yyc View Post
I had a vacuum delivery too. How are you healing? How is baby doing now?
I'm healing pretty well, the stitches area was sore for a little over a week, but I'm not hurting now. Graydon has a hematoma on his head from me being at 3cm for sooo long, and its the same spot the doc put the vacuum. I don't like that its there, it makes me uncomfortable to see the bump on his head, but everyone says it will go away, it will just take time. It doesn't seem to hurt him, so he's okay.

ribbonrainbow.gifMarried to my photosmile2.gif / geek.gif husband, trying to keep up with mybabyf.gif born 1/2010, and we have one dog2.gif
#5 of 6 Old 01-22-2010, 09:03 PM

Congratulations again! That is quite a story. What a big boy. I'm so glad that you are healing well. The hematoma will heal.

Di Linh, mama to DS1 (7), DD(4), DS2 (b 12/01/09)
#6 of 6 Old 01-22-2010, 11:02 PM

wow, he's a big one! way to go, mama, pushing him out!! reading about that epidural experience made me shudder!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page