DD is sick, help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-23-2010, 01:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I got a head cold and now DD has it. She seems to be having trouble nursing much. She seems to be having trouble latching and sucking. We've suctioned her nose a bunch but she got so frustrated and mad and tired that she dropped off to sleep. I pumped 4.5 oz for her because my boobs were exploding and I'm about to break down and give her a bottle just to get some milk in her. She's also been pooping alot today (she didn't like the homemade curry I ate last night, I think).

I'm sort of freaking out and terrified to sleep because I'm scared she'll stop breathing. What can I do?

mama to Rassa, born 12/9/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2010, 02:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattooed Hand View Post
I got a head cold and now DD has it. She seems to be having trouble nursing much. She seems to be having trouble latching and sucking. We've suctioned her nose a bunch but she got so frustrated and mad and tired that she dropped off to sleep. I pumped 4.5 oz for her because my boobs were exploding and I'm about to break down and give her a bottle just to get some milk in her. She's also been pooping alot today (she didn't like the homemade curry I ate last night, I think).

I'm sort of freaking out and terrified to sleep because I'm scared she'll stop breathing. What can I do?
Are you using a vaporizer or humidifier? Some peppermint oil in the water may help. I usually keep my kids in a recline position if they are stuffy to make it easier for them to breathe. The baby vapor chest rub is good for stuffy noses too. Everett isn't sick, but I usually spray some saline into his nose 1-2 times a day just to keep his nasal passage moist since the air is so dry. It sucks to have a sick newborn. DD was sick on and off for a long time after my mother gave her a cold when she was just 3 weeks old. She had some trouble nursing, but it didn't seem to affect her weight gain any. She was 13 lbs 6 oz at 5 weeks old. I just kept her upright when I nursed her. Short but frequent nursing sessions worked better since she couldn't breathe well. Sleeping will help her get better faster. Hope the cold is gone soon!

Di Linh, mama to DS1 (7), DD(4), DS2 (b 12/01/09)
Old 01-23-2010, 02:27 AM

Oh and steaming up the shower with her in the bathroom might offer some temporary relief as well.

Old 01-23-2010, 02:32 AM

What's the hesitation to introduce a bottle to her? She's old enough now where it won't put her off from nursing. If you are truly concerned that she's not getting enough milk and think she'll take better to a bottle, definitely give it. I've been giving my 6 wk old 1 bottle a day for 3 wks and he's still a champion nurser.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:44 AM - Thread Starter

we've been having latch issues and i'm scared to give her a bottle. plus the ped said she might not be able to drink out of that either with a stuffy nose.

how do you nurse upright?

Old 01-23-2010, 05:26 AM

when my little ones are having trouble nursing because of a stuffy nose I take them in the bathroom and turn the shower on HOT, and steam up the room. Try nursing her in there.

I wouldn't use the suction bulb unless you can actually see boogers--it can harm their little nose.

They do make saline drops for infants, you should be able to find them at any store (grocery chain).

We have a cold, too. It stinks, but the baby seems okay--in the morning I have to steam him in the shower.

Just let her sleep if she wants, and check her chest to make sure she doesn't have retracted breathing.

You can nurse upright with the football hold.

I wouldn't try to give her a bottle now--that might just piss her off. Just keep offering the breast, and try the nursing in a steamy bathroom...

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

Old 01-23-2010, 07:17 AM

no advice just

DS1 Dec 2009 fuzmalesling.gif DZ Twins July 2012 babyboy.gifbabygirl.gif

Old 01-23-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
how do you nurse upright?
Yup a football hold would work. I sometimes just slightly lean back and have baby upright tummy to tummy when nursing. With reflux, we nurse in some sort of reclined or upright position most of the time.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
we've been having latch issues and i'm scared to give her a bottle. plus the ped said she might not be able to drink out of that either with a stuffy nose.
With a bottle, she would still have to try to breathe out of her nose when drinking so it's really no different than if she were nursing as far as stuffiness.

Old 01-23-2010, 01:18 PM

When DD had her cold at 3 weeks she'd get frustrated with either the bottle or the breast. Keep trying though, and if she's refusing the breast, it might not hurt to try the bottle anyhow. It is important when they're sick that they stay hydrated. I've heard that you can tell a little baby is dehydrated if their soft spot is more concave -- sunken in -- than usual.

If she's really bad you might try getting some baby medicine, tylenol or whatnot, in her. We gave DD something like that and it seemed to clear up her congestion a bit and allowed her to feed and sleep better. Normally we try and only use medicines for us and our kids when we're pretty badly off, but she was so little and we were worried, like you, about her breathing.

: Mom to DS (10/29/07) and DD (12/1/09). Visit my blog in my profile to read about our lives in Beijing!
Old 01-23-2010, 07:49 PM

Ds is sick too right now. He got his cold from his sister who is constantly mauling him.

We've been doing saline drops like crazy, it really really helps, as does a hot steamy shower like pps mentioned.

I just got a nursing wedge which really helps with his reflux but is helping him to nurse while congested. You could use lots of pillows to get the same effect.

I hear you on the sleep thing, we slept sitting up last night. He was either on my chest or head on my shoulder. Being upright really helps.

Get better soon Rassa!

mumma to sweet 7 year old girl
and darling 2 year old guy

Old 01-24-2010, 04:03 AM - Thread Starter

Surprisingly, Rassa is already better today. Thanks for all the tips!

Though her nursing problems are likely due to thrush. Joy!

Old 01-24-2010, 12:59 PM

Yay! I'm glad she's getting over the cold so quickly! Hooray for mama's milk! I hope you get the thrush issue sorted out soon. Remember to take some probiotics. I know some people use plain yogurt on their nipples, but with her potential allergies and young age, you may not want try that. They do make probiotics that are dairy free.

Old 01-24-2010, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

I called my LLL, who was a serious godsend, and she recommended APNO and Gentian violet. Will get the former from the ped ASAP and will begin the former today. I'm also using Grapefruit seed extract and probiotics for her and for me. It certainly explains her persistent diaper rash too.

Old 01-24-2010, 04:55 PM

For next time, squirt breastmilk up her nose. Cheaper than saline drops and more effective

Sorry about the thrush

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.

User Tag List