Still not used to baby's name - Mothering Forums
December 2009 > Still not used to baby's name
evinmom's Avatar evinmom 08:56 PM 01-26-2010
Anyone else feel this way? Everett is named after DH's maternal grandfather. They were very close when DH was growing up. His grandfather died when DH was 13 and it was a devasting loss for him. I love the name and have since we first visited DH's grandfather's grave at Arlington Cemetary, and I read it on his tombstone. I still haven't mentally connected the name with my baby though. It feels weird for me to even say it out loud. I wonder if it is because unlike the other two kids, I never called him by his name while he was in the womb.

SilvanaRose's Avatar SilvanaRose 09:09 PM 01-26-2010
Orin's middle name is after my DH's maternal grandfather as well, who also died when he was 12 I believe. DH absolutely loved his grampa but I have to be honest, I don't really connect the name with Orin at all. I really don't like naming babies after other people. They are their own person. Orin's full name is Orin Charles (after DH's grampa) Emanuel O*********. When I look at him, I don't see Charles at all but whatever, I love the name otherwise. Girls are all mine to name anyway lol.
Vespertina's Avatar Vespertina 11:04 PM 01-26-2010
Yes! I love Henry's name, but, like you, it's hard to mentally connect it to him. I NEVER thought I'd name my son Henry. I actually didn't really care for it years back. I thought it was old fashioned, but that was before having kids. All of our kids have 'old fashioned' names, though. It fits. I say his name a lot, but it still hasn't 'clicked' for me that he's a Henry.
lalemma's Avatar lalemma 12:21 AM 01-27-2010
We too have a Henry, of course: I love old-man names, and I still really like the name, but I rarely call my baby by his given name. He's usually "Little man" or "My sweet guy" or a slew of less-cute names, like "Crankypants".

I assume that as he gets older we'll use his name more and it will seem more like him?
mrsfrenchy's Avatar mrsfrenchy 12:42 AM 01-27-2010
DDDC

It was like that with my DD. I didn't really connect the name to her or even call her by it that often (I usually called her "baby" "honey" etc) until she was at least 3 or 4 months old. By the time she was 6 or 9 months (at the age where they really start having a personalit), I was much more used to it. Now, it feels right and I couldn't imagine calling her anything else. It takes a little time sometimes, but it will feel right eventually, I think.
Gimme Pineapple's Avatar Gimme Pineapple 12:47 AM 01-27-2010
Mine probably thinks his name is Chubby Puppy. That's about the only thing I call him. I love it.
ears73's Avatar ears73 12:52 AM 01-27-2010
Yeah, this all is the same for me too... And, thinking about it now, it was exactly like this for my older 2 kids. I guess it takes a while to settle in with the name thing. I also never knew if I was having a boy or girl so the name wa not connected until after birth. My older sons certainly grew into their names very well though and I expect this will happen with my third as well.
carmel23's Avatar carmel23 02:28 AM 01-27-2010
I'm getting all my kids names mixed up these days... perhaps sleep deprivation? But I call everyone the wrong name...

Lately my DD has been calling Nico "SUGAHR BUM" She walks up to him and says, "HEY LITTLE SUGAHR BUM"

So, lately its been sugar bum...
thelocaldialect's Avatar thelocaldialect 02:42 AM 01-27-2010
I really felt this way with my son. He's two and to this day he goes by a nickname rather than his given name, and in fact, I'm not sure he even knows what his real name is . This is pretty common in the culture over here, kids have a "small name" that is used at home and then they have their given name, which might not even be used hardly at all until they start school. My kids have English and Chinese given names but we always use nicknames with them. I'd say I'm still not really used to my son's name being Dylan, but Annika has always felt more natural coming out of my mouth.
beep's Avatar beep 02:56 AM 01-27-2010
Me too me too! It's not that another name seems better, but I still don't connect my son's name with him. It feels kind of uncomfortable but I'm sure we'll get used to it.
Vespertina's Avatar Vespertina 03:32 AM 01-27-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalemma View Post
We too have a Henry, of course: I love old-man names, and I still really like the name, but I rarely call my baby by his given name. He's usually "Little man" or "My sweet guy" or a slew of less-cute names, like "Crankypants".

I assume that as he gets older we'll use his name more and it will seem more like him?
My mom calls him Hankyspank. Sometimes I call him Hanky.
TyrantOfTheWeek's Avatar TyrantOfTheWeek 01:19 PM 01-27-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmel23 View Post
I'm getting all my kids names mixed up these days... perhaps sleep deprivation? But I call everyone the wrong name...
With all their names starting with D, this is an all day every day thing.
Gimme Pineapple's Avatar Gimme Pineapple 01:30 PM 01-27-2010
On another note, I've been around for a while and my mom constantly calls her dog my name and me the dog's name. When she gets mixed up, she'll tell either one of us "Not you, I meant your sister..." It cracks me up.
evinmom's Avatar evinmom 01:32 PM 01-27-2010
Glad to hear I'm not the only one.

I keep calling Everett, Gavin. Then I call Gavin, Kai. Sometimes I've even called Kai by my brother's name.

I love "old" names too. That's actually our baby naming theme. Old English names (with "v").

LOL Brittany. My MIL thought we named Everett "Edward" when he was first born. She was all set to call him Teddy.

I didn't have this "disconnect" with the other two kids. They were both thoroughly planned out, and I had started calling them by their name from the time we found out their genders.
AimeeandBrian's Avatar AimeeandBrian 01:57 PM 01-27-2010
Archie is really Archer, but it just seems like too old of a name for my tiny baby. It is def his name since he looks like an Archer, but I have to process it when others call him Archer. I correct people to call him Archie until he decides otherwise lol.

He is really called the Beebee and Little Man though. Or Him--since he's the only boy. And DD is Her.
evinmom's Avatar evinmom 02:46 PM 01-27-2010
LOL Everett is usually Baby Boy, Sweetie Pie, Chunka Munka, or Chubba Chubb.
Catubodua's Avatar Catubodua 03:20 PM 01-27-2010
due date crashing!

it's so funny to see this. we've finally picked a name for our little boy - it will be Andrew James; hubby likes AJ as a knickname.

i am still always refering to him as Kiwi which is our belly bump knickname for him. the other night DH called him AJ and it was SOOOOO weird! i was thinking - that is not his name! LOL

i guess i will have to get used to it once he arrives, and i do actually like the name, but i can't wrap my head around it yet.
justmandy's Avatar justmandy 06:30 PM 01-27-2010
Whew! I thought I was the only one! I've even asked (numerous times) to change Levi's name. It's a no go.

Oh! I even called him Eli by mistake once! That's what I really want his name to be but dd's name is Eliya (pronounced el-EE-ya) and even though they don't sound the same, it was too close for her. I agree...it's just such a perfect name!

For now, I call him Baby, Baby Boy, Chunky Monkey, Fussy Butt and "Little Pecker" (He was rooting and it looked like he was pecking Dh's chest, I said "Give me that little pecker" then realised what I said and we laughed...I need more sleep!)
carmel23's Avatar carmel23 07:00 PM 01-27-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by justmandy View Post
"Little Pecker" (He was rooting and it looked like he was pecking Dh's chest, I said "Give me that little pecker" then realised what I said and we laughed...I need more sleep!)
okay, that me me laugh...
4myfinn's Avatar 4myfinn 07:01 PM 01-27-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme Pineapple View Post
Mine probably thinks his name is Chubby Puppy. That's about the only thing I call him. I love it.
I think Finn thinks his name is Chubby Bunny or Finnypants, because that's all I call him.

OP- Everett is my FIL's name. We call him Ev.
evinmom's Avatar evinmom 08:08 PM 01-27-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4myfinn View Post
I think Finn thinks his name is Chubby Bunny or Finnypants, because that's all I call him.

OP- Everett is my FIL's name. We call him Ev.
My DH's grandfather was also called Ev by DH's grandmother. I am resisting that nickname because DD is Evelyn.
TyrantOfTheWeek's Avatar TyrantOfTheWeek 12:26 PM 01-28-2010
I nicknamed Derek Der Bear. I am sure that will stick for the rest of his life.

Di Linh, was Evelyn a family name? I have a friend back in Ohio with an Evelyn who is named after her grandmother.
evinmom's Avatar evinmom 01:41 PM 01-28-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantOfTheWeek View Post
I nicknamed Derek Der Bear. I am sure that will stick for the rest of his life.

Di Linh, was Evelyn a family name? I have a friend back in Ohio with an Evelyn who is named after her grandmother.
No, but I like it because it is a "grandmother" name. We love old names. Our other girl name is also a "grandmother" name. Evelyn was the name of a childhood friend. I always liked her name so it stuck with me. DD's middle name is Rose which is after my mother. My mother's name in Vietnamese means Rose.
TyrantOfTheWeek's Avatar TyrantOfTheWeek 05:18 PM 01-28-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by evinmom View Post
No, but I like it because it is a "grandmother" name. We love old names. Our other girl name is also a "grandmother" name. Evelyn was the name of a childhood friend. I always liked her name so it stuck with me. DD's middle name is Rose which is after my mother. My mother's name in Vietnamese means Rose.
People used to hassle me about giving Dorothy an "old lady" name.
Did you get that at all?
evinmom's Avatar evinmom 05:56 PM 01-28-2010
Quote:
Did you get that at all?
Fortunately no. People should really keep their neg opinions about your name choices to themselves. DH's grandmother (who was married to Everett) was Dorothy. I loved her so much in the short time I got to know her. We got along much better than MIL (her daughter) and I did.
Awaken's Avatar Awaken 11:12 PM 01-29-2010
I am totally not used to her name!! I force myself to use it to get us used to it! We had a hard time choosing something, and the name we agreed on, that we sort of had an idea of ahead of time, didn't seem to fit her once she was here.

I had thought to myself that the name we chose as her middle name, should be her first name, but dh wasn't feeling it, so we kept it the middle. I always think of her as that name.

We usually call her "the baby girl", and I've used her name mainly when other people ask me what it is, since I rarely mention it! I'm sure it will eventually become "her", just as the other ones have.

I remember with our first son, we had decided on a name a couple weeks before the birth, and after he was born we had some dr appointments and when they came out and called his name, we totally ignored it, not realizing his name was HIM and they were calling US!
Krystal1220's Avatar Krystal1220 08:06 PM 01-31-2010
My little guy is named Mattias, and it doesn't come that naturally to me sometimes. The other day my hairdresser asked me what his name was and it took me a second to respond. I call him Stinky more than anything, though. Maybe I should try using his name more!
Krystal1220's Avatar Krystal1220 08:11 PM 01-31-2010
Quote:
Did you get that at all?
I just wanted to say that after reading one of you previous posts in this thread, I noticed that you have a Dorothy and I thought to myself what a sweet name that is! I love it.
jacie87's Avatar jacie87 10:58 PM 02-05-2010
The moment my daughter was born I wanted to name her Sierra, but every time I suggested Sierra _(insert one of several different middle names here)_ then for DH it was a no-go.

For several months before the birth, DH had been suggesting Jasmine, among a couple other names. Finally I suggested Jasmine Sierra, since that way at least I'd still have the name I wanted for her, even if it wasn't her first name.

Well, for a while it was really weird for me trying to call her Jasmine instead of Sierra, but I finally got used to it after a few days, and now it's feels odd to call her Sierra.

The funny thing is, now DH finds it really weird to call her Jasmine, so he calls her Sierra most of the time. So I'm using the name he picked, and he's using the name I picked, lol! And half the family is confused asking what her name is, because they hear me call her Jasmine and him call her Sierra. DH just tells them "both."
yentroc's Avatar yentroc 02:16 AM 02-06-2010
I'm having a hard time with Griffin's name as well. I call him everything other than his name... I called to make an appt for him the other day and every time I heard the receptionist say his name I felt strange, like, is that really his name?

We had a few names picked out and I could NOT decide on any of them and when the midwife asked what name to put on his birth cert, I just looked at my husband and said, "Griffin?" Still not sure at that time. I really think it's a cute name, but for some reason it isn't settling with me...
Up