*o..* MEMBER SPOTLIGHT 1/28 & 1/29 - carmel23 *..o* - Mothering Forums
December 2009 > *o..* MEMBER SPOTLIGHT 1/28 & 1/29 - carmel23 *..o*
evinmom's Avatar evinmom 01:18 PM 01-28-2010
HOW IT WORKS:We will ask you questions, you will answer them, or if you just have any words of wisdom or basically anything you want to share, post it here- it is YOUR thread! we will have a good time!

(participants: basically no question is off limits, so ask away- but if she doesn't feel comfortable answering, she doesn't have to!)

These first few basic questions so we can all remember who you are!
Name:
DDC Baby's Name:
Family (partner, other children, and/or furbabies):

And a few more so we can get to know you better!
What number pregnancy was this for you?:
Hobbies/Interests:
Share one weird/interesting fact about yourself:

carmel23's Avatar carmel23 03:33 PM 01-28-2010
Name: Carmel
DDC Baby's Name: Nico
Family (partner, other children, and/or furbabies): DH is 34, oldest son is eight, second son will be 6 next month, Daughter is 3. We have two hens: a laced wyandotte, and a Red sex-link (we had a rhode island red, too but he grew up to be a very noisy rooster! So he now lives on a farm outside of portland).

And a few more so we can get to know you better!
What number pregnancy was this for you?: 4 of 4

Occupation: HA! Now I am a stay at home parent. But I don't really accept that identity... I don't know if it is a weird combination of my Catholic guilt and being raised by a feminist, or that in our society you value is dependent on your paid profession and I just haven't shaken that notion. But I am a weird combination of mother, activist, artist and writer (and gardener, babysitter, dog walker)

Hobbies/Interests: Too many. But the short list: books, gardening, politics, printing/book arts, local/sustainable food, camping/hiking, travel, community, Catholic literature, philosophy.

Share one weird/interesting fact about yourself: my dream home is a yurt.
evinmom's Avatar evinmom 04:27 PM 01-28-2010
A yurt? Really? Is it due to your love of camping?
evinmom's Avatar evinmom 04:28 PM 01-28-2010
How do you like living in Portland? Do you miss the Bay area?

Did you always want 4 kids?

Did you have a career pre-kids?
carmel23's Avatar carmel23 04:33 PM 01-28-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by evinmom View Post
A yurt? Really? Is it due to your love of camping?
It is, it is a love of being close to nature, and not being distracted by stuff. I love the simplicity--and how we spend so much more time together when we are living in a tent as opposed to when we are in a house, distracted by stuff.

We have a friend who built a yurt out of recycled billboards (the plasticy ones) and it was just brilliant. Even since then I was just enamored. It even had a lovely outdoor shower with flowers and moss and ferns being watered by the shower.
carmel23's Avatar carmel23 04:46 PM 01-28-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by evinmom View Post
How do you like living in Portland? Do you miss the Bay area?

Did you always want 4 kids?

Did you have a career pre-kids?
I do like Portland. It is a lovely city with neat people, really interesting people. There are a lot of opportunities to have a very high quality of life (good housing, beautiful parks, inexpensive wholesome/organic food, diversity of schools, excellent library). I think our quality of life is better here in the in bay, but I do miss the bay very much. I miss my quirky community there, but I think it is nostalgia. If we moved back, we would quickly be reminded of all the reason why we moved away. It will be great to visit, though.

We did alway want 4 kids. After our DD was born and I was briefly back in school, we were finished... although we had said we wanted 4. Now we do have 4, and we are a happy family.

I sort of had a career. I had a day job in commodities. I liked to work because I learned a lot about food and food policy. I didn't like it because I felt like I was working for the dark side-- our customers were companies like Kraft and ADM... so it was pretty easy to stop working there.

I also worked as a press operator (offset and letterpress) which I loved and would love to buy a letterpress someday.
bethanyclaire's Avatar bethanyclaire 05:03 PM 01-29-2010
What kind of books do you like to read? What is your favorite plant in your garden?
Truckerdoo's Avatar Truckerdoo 07:14 PM 01-29-2010
What kind of writing do you do? Do you write professionally or for yourself?
ears73's Avatar ears73 07:41 PM 01-29-2010
How did you come about to raising chickens? I have 18 (including two roos!). Everyone who has a flock tends to have an interesting story to go along with it... Do you want more than two if your city limits allow? Do the kids help out with them? How does the dog get along with them? I have three dogs and they do very well (after an initial oops by the vizsla - can't blame him, he's a bird dog!).
My husband is dying to live in portland!! Friends originally from there who have recently moved near us have a mom living in a yurt over there - it sounds fantastic!
Awaken's Avatar Awaken 11:06 PM 01-29-2010
how old are you?

how did you meet your dh? what was your wedding like?
doclegs's Avatar doclegs 01:00 AM 01-30-2010
Where do you want to travel to, if you had unlimited time and money? How many stamps do you have in your passport?
carmel23's Avatar carmel23 04:31 AM 01-30-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by doclegs View Post
Where do you want to travel to, if you had unlimited time and money? How many stamps do you have in your passport?
If I had unlimited time and money I would travel everywhere! I have a good friends in Italy and Romania I would visit. I've always wanted to go to Ethiopia, Lebanon and Turkey. I would also go back to Israel and Egypt. I very much like to just wander around. My DH hates to fly, so where every we went it would have to be via limited air travel, and once we got there we'd have to stay for awhile.

I'd also like to spend a few years traveling from California down to Argentina.

edit to add: new zealand.

edit to add again: India, China and Vietnam.

I have 16 stamps in my current passport.
carmel23's Avatar carmel23 04:37 AM 01-30-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awaken View Post
how old are you?

how did you meet your dh? what was your wedding like?
I am 32.

I met my dh in high school, but we were friends for years and years. Although I secretly had a crush on him and he secretly liked me! But we didn't really date until we had known each other for... eight years. I feel very lucky to have so much history with him, and we have a lot of friends in common.

We got married on our lunch hour the first time...

And then we had our marriage 'blessed' by the Catholic Church a few years later. So we got married twice both times were very low-key events.
carmel23's Avatar carmel23 04:43 AM 01-30-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ears73 View Post
How did you come about to raising chickens? I have 18 (including two roos!). Everyone who has a flock tends to have an interesting story to go along with it... Do you want more than two if your city limits allow? Do the kids help out with them? How does the dog get along with them? I have three dogs and they do very well (after an initial oops by the vizsla - can't blame him, he's a bird dog!).
My husband is dying to live in portland!! Friends originally from there who have recently moved near us have a mom living in a yurt over there - it sounds fantastic!
Almost every house on our street has hens! Urban chickens are pretty big here, and we just really wanted some birds. Our city allows 3--but no roosters. This spring we might try to get 2 more chicks and introduce them to our ladies, but introductions seem so difficult and I don't know if I'm up for it this spring. We'll see.

We actually don't have a dog.

Portland is a really special place. that is so cool that your friends live in a yurt!
carmel23's Avatar carmel23 04:51 AM 01-30-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckerdoo View Post
What kind of writing do you do? Do you write professionally or for yourself?
At my office job we published really boring market reports on Cocoa and Orange juice. But that was like plug in the numbers and pull it off of the wire kind of stuff.

currently, I guess both. I've been an obsessive journal keeper since 8th grade. I've had a few pieces published, but that's mainly poetry--and there isn't a lot of money in that, you know. When we lived in California I submitted stuff to the Joseph Henry Jackson, James Duval Phelan, and Mary Tanenbaum Literary Awards, but never won. I swore I would win before I was 35, but unless I move back or use my parent's address, I don't think I will. I think I'll have to find another annual award to submit to-- I liked the deadline and the process.

I'm working on a magazine article, and a short story currently. So maybe I'll get some money from the article.
carmel23's Avatar carmel23 10:40 PM 01-30-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethanyclaire View Post
What kind of books do you like to read? What is your favorite plant in your garden?
I like to read literature and philosophy. I read pretty much everything I can, and especially love catholic literature--Bernanos and Waugh and Graham Greene. I've been making a slow path through Maritain and reread Kierkegaard every year.

Pumpkins! I love to grow pumpkins. This year I'm planting our whole front yard pumpkins. They're just magical the way they appear and the vines are all crazy and then they turn orange in the sun. Tomatoes are a close second, and we grow a ton of potatoes..
Up