Moms of babies who won't be put down - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-28-2010, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This might make you feel better.

Research indicates that carried babies:
* Cry Less! (43% less overall and 54% less during the evening hours)
* Are Healthier! (gain weight faster, have better motor skills, coordination,
increased muscle tone, and sense of balance)
* Get a better view of the world! (babies pushed in strollers or lugged around
in car seats only get to see the adult world at knee-level)
* Become Independent Faster! (making them more confident and less clingy)
* Sleep Better! (they fall asleep quicker and sleep for longer periods of time)
* Learn More! (not overstimulated, but calm and alert, observing the world
around them)

Di Linh, mama to DS1 (7), DD(4), DS2 (b 12/01/09)
#2 of 10 Old 01-28-2010, 01:32 PM

I was also looking at the High Needs babies thread in the Life with a babe forum.

We were going to get a part time nanny for Rassa to help me get my work done from home but judging by other people's inability to deal with her and care for her as she needs and read her cues, DH and I are thinking of delaying this and working something out between the 2 of us. I have just noticed that when I leave her in someone else's care (DH does fine, but anyone else like mom or MIL) for several hours she is Very fussy afterwards all evening to the point of lots of angry crying and fussy nursing and only I can sooth her. I am going to hire a cleaning lady and get better with wraps and try to take care of her myself. I can leave her with DH 2 afternoons a week when I have to do the out of the house portions of my job. And if I get fired, then so be it.

You should have seen me in class yesterday, I'm not at all sure I was coherent.

mama to Rassa, born 12/9/09
#3 of 10 Old 01-28-2010, 02:39 PM

Thanks for posting that! My little one doesn't like to be away from me much, and she screams bloody murder if I put her down. Luckily I finally figured out my wrap this week, so I can at least wash dishes or eat with two hands. I'd really like to be able to leave her a little more though, Momma needs to work out!

Living Angel Baby Born 12/21/09
Three angels watching over us.
#4 of 10 Old 01-28-2010, 03:27 PM

I read somewhere that the "average baby" cries X minutes a day at this stage. X was a LOT OF MINUTES. I felt so horrified, and then immediately afterward like kind of a tool for ever feeling whiny about wishing I could put H. down sometimes.

Because he basically doesn't cry. Yes, he cries in tiny bursts when he needs something: I'm hungry, turn me around so I can see something else, pick me up. But those are maybe 10 seconds of crying at a time, and he's immediately consoled when you try to solve his problem.

As stressed as I sometimes feel right now, I KNOW I would probably flat-out lose my mind if he cried a lot and were inconsolable. I am in awe of parents who are able to handle that, you know?

Also, a baby we know a little bit is a few months older, and the mellowest baby ever. She's very undemanding. At first I thought: wow, how glorious to have that kind of baby! (And don't get me wrong, I still wouldn't object.) But then I noticed that because she's so laid-back, it's very easy for her caregivers to leave her sitting pleasantly in her bucket for hours at a time. I think that you probably, if you have a super-mellow baby, have to be really tough on yourself about making sure you interact with her and don't just leave her alone while you get things done. I don't know if I'd be able to do that!

Science-loving mama to one little guy (11/09).
#5 of 10 Old 01-28-2010, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

I know what you mean lalemma. None of my babies were/are mellow, but DD was the inconsolable sort. I can deal with holding 24/7. Inconsolable is a different matter altogether. I had really bad PPD for a LONG time after DD was born. Everett is fussy sometimes, but he's usually quite content as long as he is being held/worn by DH or I. This PP period has been much easier on me so far.

#6 of 10 Old 01-28-2010, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mana - I'm very impressed that you are working already after only a few weeks. I can hardly form a sentence most days.

#7 of 10 Old 01-28-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evinmom View Post
Mana - I'm very impressed that you are working already after only a few weeks. I can hardly form a sentence most days.
Me too! I'm a writer, and I'm supposed to be writing right now so I can turn something in within a reasonable time frame. I came up with a whole plan for it and everything: I just need to spend 30 minutes here and 30 minutes there...

But I can't get my brain to function. Whenever I have 30 minutes I end up reading news articles or something. Sigh.

(This gets better, right?)

Science-loving mama to one little guy (11/09).
#8 of 10 Old 01-29-2010, 10:00 PM

LOL, well then my child will be a genius and very independent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by evinmom View Post
same here! I just got a call to do a very easy consult, and I can barely even think about how I would even begin to do it. This is something I recently did all day long, with very complex cases, every day, and could do in my sleep.
#9 of 10 Old 01-30-2010, 10:15 AM

my dd was super high needs and was a can not be put down baby. I also swear to you all that she knew the difference between me and other caregivers immeadatly. She was a terrible sleeper as well. Now at five she still demands a lot of attention but she is smart, funny, independant, assertive, secure, and she sleeps all night.

Henry is sort of an in between baby. He prefers being held and sleeping on us but he will sit alone and sleep alone a little each day. Since he is my last baby and i am not having to work and bring him with me(like I did the first go round) i am trying to just enjoy it.

I know it can be really annoying to hear this but I truly feel like I wasted time fretting over house work and other things that "had" to get done the first time. I wish I had just enjoyed the baby and not felt so much angusih over her demands. I know that's easier said than done especially when you have a job or other kids but I highly reccomend letting go of litteraly every thing that can be put off and just enjoy the baby.

Mom to Iris and Henry
#10 of 10 Old 01-30-2010, 01:57 PM

I agree with nannymom. I am feeling better and better about having a meal service ($64 a week for 6 meals that serve 2 each and they are healthy and macrobiotic), a laundry service (we don't have a washer and dryer) and a cleaning lady. Instead of spending money on childcare, I can spend the money on other services and focus on taking care of Rassa and my job. It just feels right not hand her over to a nanny or to stress about how much time she demands just to have the bathroom clean and the clothes washed.

mama to Rassa, born 12/9/09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page