*o..* MEMBER SPOTLIGHT 1/30 & 1/31 - SilvanaRose *..o* - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-30-2010, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HOW IT WORKS:
We will ask you questions, you will answer them, or if you just have any words of wisdom or basically anything you want to share, post it here- it is YOUR thread! we will have a good time!

(participants: basically no question is off limits, so ask away- but if she doesn't feel comfortable answering, she doesn't have to!)

These first few basic questions so we can all remember who you are!
Name:
DDC Baby's Name:
Family (partner, other children, and/or furbabies):

And a few more so we can get to know you better!
What number pregnancy was this for you?:
Hobbies/Interests:
Share one weird/interesting fact about yourself:

Di Linh, mama to DS1 (7), DD(4), DS2 (b 12/01/09)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2010, 03:43 PM

Name: Sara

DDC Baby's Name: Orin

Family (partner, other children, and/or furbabies): My husbands name is Adam, Orin is our first human baby. Hei Shui is my snake but we tend to call him Mr. Crankypants because he has a bit of an attitudinal problem.

What number pregnancy was this for you?: 3....first living baby.

Occupation: Stay at home mom now. I have had many jobs in my somewhat short life lol. Everything from working as an apprentice chef at a 5 star resort on Vancouver island, to locating pipelines up in northern Canada, to treeplanting and living in a tent for 6 months, to painting houses (I have almost 6 years combined experience doing that), to working as a cashier at an organic foods store.....and many more. I love variety I guess you could say.

Hobbies/Interests: Oh my god where do I start? I love traveling, belly dancing, hiking, kayaking, reading, research, studying foreign languages and culture in my spare time and archaeology, painting, drawing, design.....I think I could go on but the point is I love to do just about everything lol.

Share one weird/interesting fact about yourself: I used to do pro downhill mountain biking, before it became really popular and was sponsored by Oakley, Rocky Mountain bikes, Cannondale bikes and a few others. I was one of the only girls in my province at the time to be involved in the sport. I have done things on my bike that would actually give me nightmares today LOL

knit.gifsewmachine.gifintactivist.giftreehugger.gif mama to one DS and one DD, equally amazing.

Old 01-30-2010, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
How did you and DH meet? Is that why/how you moved from Canada to the States?

mama to Rassa, born 12/9/09
Old 01-30-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattooed Hand View Post
How did you and DH meet? Is that why/how you moved from Canada to the States?
We met through a mutual friend but first over the internet. Sounds weird I know. He lived only 4 hours drive from me so we decided to meet up and it was almost love at first sight. We spent the next few months visiting each other and then decided that I would spend more time here in the states. So what started out as me 'visiting' ended up me living here lol. Then we sorta got pregnant......and you basically know the rest of the story there lol

knit.gifsewmachine.gifintactivist.giftreehugger.gif mama to one DS and one DD, equally amazing.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:08 PM

what do you look forward to doing with Orin most as he grows bigger?

do you like living in Spokane? I have a few friends and relatives who live there.

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

Old 01-30-2010, 11:10 PM

NAK

and belly dancing intrigues me... how did you start?

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

Old 01-31-2010, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvanaRose View Post
He lived only 4 hours drive from me
That's so funny! In some parts of the country that would be a massively prohibitive distance. In Manhattan it is too much to date someone in another burough!

PS I really love the name Orin. Good one!

I guess I had only comments, no questions.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmel23 View Post
what do you look forward to doing with Orin most as he grows bigger?

do you like living in Spokane? I have a few friends and relatives who live there.
I can't wait to show him the outdoors, take him hiking this spring, kayaking later on (when he's older), and traveling. We are planning a few trips but unfortunately not any time soon as we are and will be broke for awhile after this green card process. We have friends that would love us to visit in Germany and I have family all over Europe, mainly in Hungary, England and Italy.

Honestly, I can't wait to show Orin the importance of being kind to the planet and everything in it. I value being appreciative and respectful and having an active lifestyle.

As for Spokane, it's ok. The cost of living is insanely cheap here and there are things to do but IMO it's just ok. We are too close for comfort to the IL's and I would much rather be near the ocean. We are hoping DH gets the new position he's currently being interviewed for and then we may move to Seattle.

Old 01-31-2010, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmel23 View Post
NAK

and belly dancing intrigues me... how did you start?
Oh man I looooooove bellydancing! I always loved watching it when I was little and it's sort of part of my culture. I'm half Hungarian and there's some gypsy blood in there somewhere lol. I started going to a wonderful class back in my hometown and my teacher loved me so much but I kept moving away. She wanted me in her performance group and was always so mad every time I left lol. I love the costuming aspect of it as well....I have more coins than I know what to do with. The tribal style really intrigues me. It's very snaky and slow and so beautiful. I really want to go to a class here but I always have other stuff on my plate. Hopefully I will get back into it again, I love it.

Old 01-31-2010, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckerdoo View Post
That's so funny! In some parts of the country that would be a massively prohibitive distance. In Manhattan it is too much to date someone in another burough!

PS I really love the name Orin. Good one!

I guess I had only comments, no questions.
Lol I know. A 10 hour drive is nothing to me either. My relatives in England think 1 hour is too long to drive hahaha. Did I mention I love roadtrips? I have driven the Alaska highway more times than I can count and I just LOVE the freedom of an open road with almost nobody else anywhere around. When my little toyota finally died it had over 420K on the speedometer LOL....poor thing

Old 01-31-2010, 03:42 AM - Thread Starter

420k? Wow! I think moving to Seattle would be really good for you guys. Good luck!

So what does your DH do?

What happened during your other two pregnancies?

Di Linh, mama to DS1 (7), DD(4), DS2 (b 12/01/09)
Old 01-31-2010, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evinmom View Post
420k? Wow! I think moving to Seattle would be really good for you guys. Good luck!

So what does your DH do?

What happened during your other two pregnancies?
My DH is a research analyst for Primera Blue Cross....it's totally as boring as it sounds.

As for my 2 previous pregnancies...it's a little hard to talk about I had an abortion when I was 19, there was just no way I could do it at the time and when I was 23 I was in a really bad spot with my ex and ended up having another. I feel really ashamed that I did it not only once but twice. My ex was a real (insert really bad words here) and was totally unsupportive both emotionally and financially not to mention he had major issues with alcohol. I came to terms with my decisions and asked the little being if it would come back again when I was ready. I hope I haven't offended anyone.

Old 01-31-2010, 03:15 PM

What lamguages do youspeak, which do you want to learn? I love languages too, I've recently found the pimsleur courses which are great when you're self employed and can have them on when you work.

Clare briefly mother for 3 weeks to Isabel 25-12-08, Soaking up every precious moment with my little guy Dec-10. My blog link is in my profile.

1********10**stork-suprise.gif ******20*********30*********40

Old 01-31-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazer6 View Post
What lamguages do youspeak, which do you want to learn? I love languages too, I've recently found the pimsleur courses which are great when you're self employed and can have them on when you work.
Unfortunately I'm only really fluent in English but I learned Spanish and French in school and managed to pick up some Mandarin myself (really wish I had a teacher) and I have books on many of the SEA languages and Arabic. I know I should probably stick to one at a time but you have probably guessed that I am sometimes all over the place with my interests lol. I really want to learn the major languages....Mandarin, German, Arabic and maybe Hindi and re-learn Spanish and French. Who knows if I will get to all that in my lifetime.

Old 01-31-2010, 06:03 PM

Yeah I'm all over too. I have pimsleur italian and swahili (we had been planning an africa trip) but I've not got beyond the first stage for italian. I'd also love to do Arabic too it's just so hard to know which spoken version to go for. French is on my to do list to (on eBay we have a lot of french and italian customers). You'd've thought with all these on our to do list we'd get on with it more! I am determined to get my Italian decent this year. Have you seen the two sites with the free FSI courses? Really good complete, plus in the public domain. There's so many courses for wierd and wonderful languages I don't think I'll ever stop learning.

Clare briefly mother for 3 weeks to Isabel 25-12-08, Soaking up every precious moment with my little guy Dec-10. My blog link is in my profile.

1********10**stork-suprise.gif ******20*********30*********40

Old 01-31-2010, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
not to hijack, but if you want to do a spoken Arabic and not the written, go for the Egyptian. That's where most of the movies have/are made and most people in the Arab world understand that dialect.

mama to Rassa, born 12/9/09
Old 01-31-2010, 10:00 PM

I feel like we live so close to each other!! Here in Calgary all the American TV stations are Spokane stations. If I had cable we could watch the same local news I know what you mean about considering 4 hours a reasonable distance for a long-distance relationship....I consider Vancouver 'close' and it's a 9-10 hour drive...maybe 8 if you speed and there's no ice on Rogers Pass.

I remember you posted somewhere that you plan on working at some point. Do you know what you want to do?
Old 01-31-2010, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nina_yyc View Post
I feel like we live so close to each other!! Here in Calgary all the American TV stations are Spokane stations. If I had cable we could watch the same local news I know what you mean about considering 4 hours a reasonable distance for a long-distance relationship....I consider Vancouver 'close' and it's a 9-10 hour drive...maybe 8 if you speed and there's no ice on Rogers Pass.

I remember you posted somewhere that you plan on working at some point. Do you know what you want to do?
I have no idea if I want to go back to work yet. It would require going back to school and we really can't afford that right now. Plus with the thought of having more kids it almost makes no sense to go to work just to make enough to pay someone else to look after my kids. The cost of childcare is kinda ridiculous so I figure nobody can do it better than me anyway....

I do kinda wanna get creative though and maybe do something in my own time, whether it be painting or something artsy. There are a ton of entrepreneurial women in my family and they are very creative and fairly successful. I'm hoping maybe I can come up with something that I can do in some spare time. I know, everyone wants to do that right? lol

User Tag List