*o..* MEMBER SPOTLIGHT 2/1 & 2/2 - evinmom *..o* - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 21 Old 02-01-2010, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter
 
evinmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HOW IT WORKS:
We will ask you questions, you will answer them, or if you just have any words of wisdom or basically anything you want to share, post it here- it is YOUR thread! we will have a good time!

(participants: basically no question is off limits, so ask away- but if she doesn't feel comfortable answering, she doesn't have to!)

These first few basic questions so we can all remember who you are!

Name: Di Linh
Age: 33 (on Jan 13th! )
Location: North Atlanta, Georgia area.
DDC Baby's Name: Everett Clarke
Family (partner, other children, and/or furbabies): DH (married almost 11 years) - Kai, DS1 - Gavin is 7 years old, DD - Evelyn (Evie) is 4 years old, Dog - Charm is 12.5 years old, and Angora Bunnies - Bunnicula (white) and Pumperknickel (black) are 10 months old.

And a few more so we can get to know you better!
What number pregnancy was this for you?: 5
Occupation: Currently a SAHM with a part-time job at Gymboree
Hobbies/Interests: Knitting, sewing (not very good), crafts (all sorts), running, reading, TV, hiking, letterboxing, hanging out with friends.
Share one weird/interesting fact about yourself:
Weird - I'm a Gymboree nut. My kids have entire wardrobes of Gymboree. If Gymboree made cute clothes for women, I'd be wearing it myself.
Interesting - I used to travel 99% for work.

Di Linh, mama to DS1 (7), DD(4), DS2 (b 12/01/09)
evinmom is offline  
#2 of 21 Old 02-01-2010, 02:01 PM
 
Tattooed Hand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Berlin
Posts: 1,084
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Happy way belated birthday!

What kind of job did you used to have?

How did you become a SAHM? Was it because of having kids or because they were HN (this is from other conversations)? How was that transition?

Are you originally from the Atlanta area?

mama to Rassa, born 12/9/09
Tattooed Hand is offline  
#3 of 21 Old 02-01-2010, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter
 
evinmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
What kind of job did you used to have?
For 3 years before I had Gavin I was a computer security consulltant for Symantec. I assisted Symantec clients with the deployment, trouble shooting, and monitorong of security software (i.e. anti-virus, anti-hacking, enterprise control, etc...).

Quote:
How did you become a SAHM? Was it because of having kids or because they were HN (this is from other conversations)? How was that transition?
My former profession doesn't fit well with being a mom of young children. I was the only woman in my position at the company back then. The travel requirements are intense and even the fathers with young children were finding it difficult. Many guys had to quit due to pressure from their wives. The job was also stressing me out quite a bit. I was a psychology major in college. I didn't study computer science.

Quote:
Are you originally from the Atlanta area?
No, we've only lived here 5 years. I was born in Vietnam. I left Vietnam when I was 3 and spent a year in refugee camps in Thailand and The Phillippines. Then my family settled in Maryland (D.C. metro area) where I lived most of my life.

Di Linh, mama to DS1 (7), DD(4), DS2 (b 12/01/09)
evinmom is offline  
#4 of 21 Old 02-01-2010, 04:42 PM
 
carmel23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 5,278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
what are your favorite TV shows?

 hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif
 

carmel23 is offline  
#5 of 21 Old 02-01-2010, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter
 
evinmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmel23 View Post
what are your favorite TV shows?
I pretty much only watch forensic/law enforcement shows like Bones, Law & Order (any of the series), Cold Case on a daily/weekly basis. On occasion I watch food shows like Man vs Food, No Reservations, and Ace of Cakes (Duff is a college mate of mine) or E network shows like The Girls Next Door, the Soup, and Chelsey Handler.

Di Linh, mama to DS1 (7), DD(4), DS2 (b 12/01/09)
evinmom is offline  
#6 of 21 Old 02-01-2010, 09:08 PM
 
doclegs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Seriously, Duff is a college mate of yours? That is supremely awesome.

What is it like having bunnies?

What is your favorite crafty thing to do?

What is your favorite part about being a SAHM? Least favorite?

What is the best book you've recently read?

Living Angel Baby Born 12/21/09
Three angels watching over us.
doclegs is offline  
#7 of 21 Old 02-02-2010, 01:27 AM
 
SilvanaRose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: fa fa away
Posts: 549
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When was the last time you were in Vietnam? What was the reason your family left?

knit.gifsewmachine.gifintactivist.giftreehugger.gif mama to one DS and one DD, equally amazing.
 

SilvanaRose is offline  
#8 of 21 Old 02-02-2010, 01:48 AM - Thread Starter
 
evinmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Seriously, Duff is a college mate of yours? That is supremely awesome.
Yes. He lived in the same dorm and was our dorm RA (residence assistant). I think it's funny that he jokes on his show sometimes about all the freshmen asking him questions.

Quote:
What is it like having bunnies?
Much different than having dogs. LOL Rabbits are creatures of prey so they are very shy and skiddish. I'm glad my kids don't try to treat the rabbits like a dog and are good about not bothering them. The bunnies eat and poop non stop so it's a bit more work than having a dog. Finding the right sitter for them when we are on vacation is tricky too.

Quote:
What is your favorite crafty thing to do?
All the things I can't do very well with a baby or young children around. It is hard to pick just one - scrapbooking, sewing, knitting, and painting. I guess the last two I can do with the kids.

Quote:
What is your favorite part about being a SAHM? Least favorite?
I love being there for all of the big milestones. I appreciate not having to miss the kids for the majority of the day. I enjoy having more control over the things they are introduced to. I like homeschooling, fieldtrips in the middle of the week, kids activities, and playdates.

I guess my least favorite thing is not being able to carve out as much time for myself or the upkeep of the house.


Quote:
What is the best book you've recently read?
Recently I have really enjoyed "Angels and Demons" and "The Golden Compass" series.

Di Linh, mama to DS1 (7), DD(4), DS2 (b 12/01/09)
evinmom is offline  
#9 of 21 Old 02-02-2010, 01:57 AM - Thread Starter
 
evinmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvanaRose View Post
When was the last time you were in Vietnam? What was the reason your family left?
When I was 3 was the last time I was in Vietnam. My parents have gone back to visit a few times, but I haven't. My parents left Vietnam due to political persecution after the communist party took over the country.

Di Linh, mama to DS1 (7), DD(4), DS2 (b 12/01/09)
evinmom is offline  
#10 of 21 Old 02-02-2010, 08:49 AM
 
fazer6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Southern Spain
Posts: 882
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What's letterboxing?

Where does your username come from? I always read it as evil mom and immaginr you doing evil henchman laughs

Clare briefly mother for 3 weeks to Isabel 25-12-08, Soaking up every precious moment with my little guy Dec-10. My blog link is in my profile.

1********10**stork-suprise.gif ******20*********30*********40

fazer6 is offline  
#11 of 21 Old 02-02-2010, 09:23 AM
 
ears73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Surfside, San Diego CA
Posts: 274
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
seriously, evinmom, how many hours are you on mothering? (takes one to see one!) You are always here giving advice, support and encouragement - it is really great!! You are like the december board's den mother...

Since you have kids of different ages, what are some family things you all do together?

If you want to sound wise, go to school. If you want to be wise, go to nature.
My 3 sons! 8/92, 1/97 & 12/09!!
ears73 is offline  
#12 of 21 Old 02-02-2010, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
 
evinmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazer6 View Post
What's letterboxing?
It's a type of "treasure seeking" game involving a hidden journal, stamps, and clues that lead you to the journal. There are letterboxes hidden all over. You can visit this site for more information: http://www.letterboxing.org/

Quote:
Where does your username come from? I always read it as evil mom and immaginr you doing evil henchman laughs
"evinmom" comes from my children's names. I have 2 "Ev"s - Evelyn and Everett. Gavin's name ends with "in." Eventually I hope to have 2 kids with names ending with "in" or something similar.

Di Linh, mama to DS1 (7), DD(4), DS2 (b 12/01/09)
evinmom is offline  
#13 of 21 Old 02-02-2010, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
 
evinmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ears73 View Post
seriously, evinmom, how many hours are you on mothering? (takes one to see one!) You are always here giving advice, support and encouragement - it is really great!! You are like the december board's den mother...
I guess it would depend on the day and how much else I have going on. I often check in a couple of times for a few minutes each. I would say all together it might range from 15 minutes to 2 hours a day if I spend a lot of time reading posts.

Quote:
Since you have kids of different ages, what are some family things you all do together?
As a family we enjoy nature walks, hiking, amusement parks, playgrounds, letterboxing (see above), board games, arts and crafts, and family video games (i.e. Kingdom Hearts, Monkey Balls, Mario Bros, Pikmin etc...)

Di Linh, mama to DS1 (7), DD(4), DS2 (b 12/01/09)
evinmom is offline  
#14 of 21 Old 02-02-2010, 02:42 PM
 
beep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 394
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are your kids biracial? If yes, what thoughts do you have on raising biracial children? Do you do anything in particular to help them connect more with their Vietnamese heritage?
beep is offline  
#15 of 21 Old 02-02-2010, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter
 
evinmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beep View Post
Are your kids biracial? If yes, what thoughts do you have on raising biracial children? Do you do anything in particular to help them connect more with their Vietnamese heritage?
Yes, my kids are half Asian and half Caucasian. I didn't use to give it much thought at all. I knew from a young age I would likely have biracial children. I grew up in an area with a large Asian population and biracial Asian/Caucasian mixed children are common there. It wasn't until we moved to Georgia that I started having concerns about my kids being "different" from others. In the area we live now the minority rate is 4% and the majority of that 4% is Hispanic. My kids do not often see other mixed children. In fact, when we first moved here the only kids Gavin and I ever saw were blond-haired and blue eyed. I have to try harder now to get them exposed to more diversity. Gavin and Evie attended an international preschool for a short time and that was the first place they met other children who were not all blond and blue-eyed. That school, the Super H Mart (big Asian market 30 min away), the kids' swim club, and dance classes are the only places we have found other families like ours. Although this area has changed much in the past 5 years and is becoming more diverse for which I am really glad.

When we lived in Maryland I didn't have to put much effort into keeping Gavin in touch with his Vietnamese heritage. All of my family lives there. I had more Asian friends and knew A LOT of mixed families. These days I fear that my kids won't be in touch with their Vietnamese heritage. The longer we've been living here, the more I forget myself. It's a shame and makes me sad.

Di Linh, mama to DS1 (7), DD(4), DS2 (b 12/01/09)
evinmom is offline  
#16 of 21 Old 02-02-2010, 09:25 PM
 
carmel23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 5,278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have to ask, because I Vietnamese food and miss my restaurants in Costa Mesa, CA and in Oakland, CA.... but do you cook Vietnamese and if so, can you share any recipes?

 hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif
 

carmel23 is offline  
#17 of 21 Old 02-02-2010, 10:04 PM
 
nina_yyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 2,025
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you speak Vietnamese to your kids?
nina_yyc is offline  
#18 of 21 Old 02-03-2010, 12:20 AM
 
Tattooed Hand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Berlin
Posts: 1,084
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by evinmom View Post
Yes, my kids are half Asian and half Caucasian. I didn't use to give it much thought at all. I knew from a young age I would likely have biracial children. I grew up in an area with a large Asian population and biracial Asian/Caucasian mixed children are common there. It wasn't until we moved to Georgia that I started having concerns about my kids being "different" from others. In the area we live now the minority rate is 4% and the majority of that 4% is Hispanic. My kids do not often see other mixed children. In fact, when we first moved here the only kids Gavin and I ever saw were blond-haired and blue eyed. I have to try harder now to get them exposed to more diversity. Gavin and Evie attended an international preschool for a short time and that was the first place they met other children who were not all blond and blue-eyed. That school, the Super H Mart (big Asian market 30 min away), the kids' swim club, and dance classes are the only places we have found other families like ours. Although this area has changed much in the past 5 years and is becoming more diverse for which I am really glad.

When we lived in Maryland I didn't have to put much effort into keeping Gavin in touch with his Vietnamese heritage. All of my family lives there. I had more Asian friends and knew A LOT of mixed families. These days I fear that my kids won't be in touch with their Vietnamese heritage. The longer we've been living here, the more I forget myself. It's a shame and makes me sad.
I feel the same way about things. I'm Iranian (born there) and grew up in a huge immigrant community in LA. DH is what we call of Scandamutt background. Boston is more diverse than where you are but it's very segregated. I miss being near my family and more different people that actually interact with each other.

mama to Rassa, born 12/9/09
Tattooed Hand is offline  
#19 of 21 Old 02-03-2010, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter
 
evinmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmel23 View Post
I have to ask, because I Vietnamese food and miss my restaurants in Costa Mesa, CA and in Oakland, CA.... but do you cook Vietnamese and if so, can you share any recipes?
I do on occasion. It's hard to share recipes because I cook the foods by taste the way I learned from my mother. It's easier to show than to write out. I don't cook Vietnamese food a lot because 1) it's time consuming, 2) like most Asian foods the ingredients are often full of chemicals I don't like to eat too much of, 3) I can not get the dishes just right because my mother cooks by taste so it isn't easy for her to pass it on. If you let me know what dishes you like, I can at least tell you what might be used in it.

Di Linh, mama to DS1 (7), DD(4), DS2 (b 12/01/09)
evinmom is offline  
#20 of 21 Old 02-03-2010, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter
 
evinmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nina_yyc View Post
Do you speak Vietnamese to your kids?
No. For various reasons I stopped speaking Vietnamese sometime in elementary school. I can still understand it when someone else speaks, but I can no longer form the words right when I try to say them. Vietnamese is an atonal language so pronounciation is everything. If you pronounce a word wrong you can be saying something completely different than what you mean.

Di Linh, mama to DS1 (7), DD(4), DS2 (b 12/01/09)
evinmom is offline  
#21 of 21 Old 02-03-2010, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter
 
evinmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattooed Hand View Post
I feel the same way about things. I'm Iranian (born there) and grew up in a huge immigrant community in LA. DH is what we call of Scandamutt background. Boston is more diverse than where you are but it's very segregated. I miss being near my family and more different people that actually interact with each other.
My DH is 1/4 Swedish. His maternal great-grandparents were Swedish immigrants. The rest of his heritage is English, Welsh, and German.

Di Linh, mama to DS1 (7), DD(4), DS2 (b 12/01/09)
evinmom is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off