carriers, carriers, CARRIERS!!! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 56 Old 02-03-2010, 04:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by evinmom View Post
Have you tried different carry styles? Some babies may not like certain ones. Mine never liked cradle carries for example. DS1 always preferred facing out or being on the hip.
So far I've tried the cradle, which he hated, and the froggy, which he tolerates restlessly for a limited period of time. I think he's still too little/wobbly to face out but will try again in a while, and the hip carry won't work for me. I think I am doing it more or less correctly per instructions, pictures, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 56 Old 02-03-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beep View Post
So far I've tried the cradle, which he hated, and the froggy, which he tolerates restlessly for a limited period of time. I think he's still too little/wobbly to face out but will try again in a while, and the hip carry won't work for me. I think I am doing it more or less correctly per instructions, pictures, etc.
How about legs out on each side in the Moby? Everett is starting to hate being froggy-leg. He's getting a bit too big for it, but still too small to have his legs out in the mei tai or Beco. He's prefering the wrap right now because he can have his legs out. We'll go back to the mei tai and Beco once he is a little bigger. In the KKAFP, I am now wearing him tummy to chest with his legs out in front against me.

Di Linh, mama to DS1 (7), DD(4), DS2 (b 12/01/09)
#33 of 56 Old 02-03-2010, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Legs out in a hug hold is the only way Rassa will tolerate being in any wrap, but it's like magic, if I put it on and walk around a little she instantly falls asleep.

mama to Rassa, born 12/9/09
#34 of 56 Old 02-03-2010, 11:48 PM

I have a question about facing-out carries, if anyone can shed some light!

H. is starting to prefer facing out (I don't know if its related to froggied legs no longer being as okay with him or not. He's still too small to straddle our waists, though.) and I've looked at videos of forward-facing carries in a wrap. I feel like I'm missing a crucial element!

So I basically have a "crossbar" in the front, and I slide him down in there, and one leg goes on either side of the "bars", so that the cross is under his butt. And then I spread those bars out over his torso to support him. At that point, his legs are still hanging down. Then I pull up the "cummerbund" part of the wrap to pull his legs up in front of him. (Did that make any sense?)

The part I don't think I understand is the part where he's straddling the crossbar! Is that comfortable? Am I doing something wrong? Should he be "sitting" in the X? (Because his legs definitely hang down.)

Science-loving mama to one little guy (11/09).
#35 of 56 Old 02-04-2010, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalemma View Post
Should he be "sitting" in the X? (Because his legs definitely hang down.)

Yes. If he is in a sitting position, there won't be as much pressure on his spine like with the Bijorn style carriers. I spread the fabric widely under baby's bum up to the backs of knees which forces baby to sit rather than stand if that makes sense.

#36 of 56 Old 02-04-2010, 12:51 AM

AHA! Yes- that makes perfect sense. I haven't been spreading the fabric under his butt. Thanks!

#37 of 56 Old 02-04-2010, 09:12 PM

Clare, take a look at the gauze wraps (calin bleu often sell them cheap on ebayUK). I have a BBW, which coped with River as a newborn in the days when my FIL would turn the heat up to 27 degrees.

OP, keep the ergo for a few months until baby grows into it. I love my babyhawk, but one of its weaknesses is the length of the straps- if it's raining outside, it's hard to tie without getting the ends wet when jumping out of the car to go to xyz place. Soft structured carriers like the ergo are great for that because you can just clip and go.

And for the record, I have a stretchy wrap, a gauze wrap, a baby hawk, a wilkinet, two ring slings and a pouch- and I don't consider myself a serious baby wearer at all. They all fulfil different uses over the time of carrying baby, though, and I can see us using them all- pouches may not work for us now, but it will do next winter when he's up and down every few minutes and learning to walk.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#38 of 56 Old 02-06-2010, 11:47 AM

Got the first video up: nursing cradle position in a front cross carry:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTS3wd2BbV8

Diana, homebirthing, homeschooling, homemaking wife and mother of two (plus one more coming this Spring)!
Wrap Your Baby Comfy, versatile baby carriers and lots of wrap instruction.
Preparing to move our family of five into a motorhome and live on the road fulltime at Free Range Dreams.
#39 of 56 Old 02-07-2010, 01:12 AM

With DD1 I only used a ring sling. I am a bonafide ring sling addict/lover. I make my own though so I can't tell you which is a "good" brand. Right before DD2 was born I did make myself an onbuhimo and used that a bit but overall it wasn't my style (like a mei tai but only 2 straps...where the bottom ones would be are rings). I think it mostly the construction of it though and plan on tweaking it.

DD2. Oh where do I begin with that delightfully ornry child. As an infant she needed up and down so much that I ended up getting a pouch made for me (by a mama here...I did a trade with her and she used a pattern online....on Jan's site I think?). I wanted to use my ring sling so bad but after a month of constant in and out and subsquently constant rethreading I got tired of it and went the pouch route. She loved it (and still does). We did try a homemade wrap there once she got older and I liked it but in the end she was a pouch girl so it got very little wear.

DD3 doesn't care. My ring sling is out of comission (and I have yet to find *the* perfect replacement fabric). I go between my pouch and my homemade wrap. The girl is made for a wrap. I so prefer wrapping her that I just bought a Vatanai off a mama on DiaperSwappers.

My preference is still a ring sling (going on 5 years of continuous wearing.....haven't had a break between kids ). It's light weight (well mine are though I have had a thick one) and doesn't cover a whole ton of your body. We've lived in all sorts of weather (the Northwest, MidWest, and more Southern) and thats the one I go for consistently. I know though, that they can be super uncomfy for people and can be difficult to find your particular carry with. DD1 was pretty universal in it...I even got her on my back before.

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
#40 of 56 Old 02-07-2010, 01:14 AM

I just realized that makes it sound like I have a ton. I don't. I currently have 1 pouch and 1 wrap. I need to replace my ring sling too, after 4.5 years worth of use I wore a hole in it.

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
#41 of 56 Old 02-10-2010, 06:15 PM

Is there a way to carry a 2 month old in a ring sling in a way that doesn't have their legs all froggied up? She hates it when I put her in the Maya wrap in the tummy to tummy hold and she's always hated the cradle hold in any type of carrier.

She has spent a total of 15 minutes in the ring sling because she hates it. She likes feet out in the body in the hug hold but it's really hard to take her out of it to nurse. I have to take the Moby off, which is a pain.

#42 of 56 Old 02-10-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattooed Hand View Post
Is there a way to carry a 2 month old in a ring sling in a way that doesn't have their legs all froggied up? She hates it when I put her in the Maya wrap in the tummy to tummy hold and she's always hated the cradle hold in any type of carrier.

She has spent a total of 15 minutes in the ring sling because she hates it. She likes feet out in the body in the hug hold but it's really hard to take her out of it to nurse. I have to take the Moby off, which is a pain.
yeah, that's how I carry Nico in the sling... I should just take a picture... but basically he goes in upright, and I make a little pouch for his bottom, legs out, tummy to tummy , and then tighten one of the rails of the sling to support his back and neck. I'll take a picture ...

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

#43 of 56 Old 02-10-2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmel23 View Post
yeah, that's how I carry Nico in the sling... I should just take a picture... but basically he goes in upright, and I make a little pouch for his bottom, legs out, tummy to tummy , and then tighten one of the rails of the sling to support his back and neck. I'll take a picture ...
Yup! That's what I do with both ring slings and pouches. We just discovered last week that Everett is now big enough to have his legs out and straddling our bodies in the mei tai and Beco. Waaaahhhh... my baby is growing up much too fast.

#44 of 56 Old 02-10-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmel23 View Post
ooooh! I think the mistake I was making was tightening the bottom rail. Duh...

#45 of 56 Old 02-10-2010, 10:51 PM

Quote:
ooooh! I think the mistake I was making was tightening the bottom rail. Duh...
no, slings are hard like that-- I swear it was a revelation when I figured out how to adjust the bottom and top rails independently. That's when I fell in love with the ring sling

#46 of 56 Old 02-10-2010, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evinmom View Post
Yup! That's what I do with both ring slings and pouches. We just discovered last week that Everett is now big enough to have his legs out and straddling our bodies in the mei tai and Beco. Waaaahhhh... my baby is growing up much too fast.
ah, what a sweet big boy! I can't wait for the ergo to be used... then DH will carry him (he's afraid of the sling, but will use the ergo-- dh not the baby )

#47 of 56 Old 02-11-2010, 02:30 AM

Which carriers allow baby to be facing out (with her back on my chest and facing the same direction as I am)?

First-time mama due on Dec 3rd 2009!
Update: Baby girl born Nov 19th!
#48 of 56 Old 02-11-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMama01 View Post
Which carriers allow baby to be facing out (with her back on my chest and facing the same direction as I am)?
I'd like to know this too.

We're going to keep working on the ring sling, but even with her legs out, Rassa was complaining in under 5 minutes. I want to love it...

#49 of 56 Old 02-11-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMama01
I am not an expert, but this is what I've gathered:

You can face a baby out (either with his legs out, so he's "sitting" in the crossbars, or Buddha-style, with his legs folded) in a stretchy wrap (I presume also in a woven, but I haven't graduated to a woven yet). It also seems technically possible in a mei tai, both legs out and legs in. And you can face a baby out in a pouch or ring sling, Buddha-style only. You can of course also face a baby out in a Baby Bjorn-type carrier, but I don't own one of those.

I HAVE TRIED ALL OF THESE (except for the Bjorn), because H. really likes to face out and I get desperate. Of these, facing out in a stretchy wrap with his legs out is most secure-feeling for me and seems to be most comfortable for him. The mei tai is just kind of awkward - it is POSSIBLE but seems like a stretch, you know? And the pouch and ring sling- it does work, but H. tends to object to legs-in carries these days, and even if your baby has good head control, you'll probably feel like you need to keep a hand on him, so it's not a good carry for getting anything done (for me.)

The other things I have gathered about this thorny topic:

*A lot of people who are really into babywearing think that Baby Bjorns are terrible, terrible, terrible. I frankly suspect that some of that is elitist dogma, but for frequent use I can see that they are not very ergonomic. The baby is essentially hanging on his crotch. But generations of parents have carried their babies like that in arms (facing out, supporting him with one hand between his legs) without an epidemic of hip or spine problems or whatever... so I just don't buy that for occasional use you are effing up your baby forever.

*A lot of people think that wearing a baby facing out in any carrier is terrible because the baby is going to be overstimulated, can't turn away to shut out the stimuli, and isn't experiencing cuddle-time and bonding with mama, and can't see her face for reassurance, etc. People state this with absolute conviction, as though it's known to be factually true. I have poked around for actual scientific studies on this, but there don't seem to be any. Ultimately, this sounds to me like something that comes out of Waldorf-oriented German parenting philosophy.

My son, when carried facing out, looks around at what I'm doing with great interest and then falls asleep. I know what he looks like when overstimulated, and that's not it. Your baby's mileage may vary, of course, but I am seriously unconvinced by this objection.

*A lot of people think that wearing a baby facing out in any carrier, not just a Bjorn-type carrier, is un-ergonomic. Even if you fold the legs or make sure that, if he's legs-out, his butt is lower than his knees, the claim is that it forces his spine into an unnaturally straight position.

I don't know enough about baby physiology to be able to tell if this is true or not, so this is the one argument I'm taking more seriously. So for now, I'm trying to wear H. facing out only when nothing else works, and then not for long periods.

Parenting! So confusing.

PS: I caved and bought a ring sling in hopes it would be more acceptable than his pouch slings and easier to pop him in and out of than his wrap and mei tai.

I'm not sure yet. He likes to be in the tummy-to-tummy hold with his legs out, but I feel a little unsure that I've adjusted everything properly to make him really secure. I don't know if he's big enough to straddle my waist enough to make it feel safe?

How do you know if your baby is physically big enough for legs out? Is there a cut-off?

#50 of 56 Old 02-11-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:

How do you know if your baby is physically big enough for legs out? Is there a cut-off?
For me, his legs just started falling out of the Moby. (That isn't a very accurate description.) He would be sitting with his legs up, then he would stretch and I would feel a little awkward foot poking me in the ribs or my fat roll. I got really frustrated, thinking I was doing something wrong after weeks of doing it right, then I realized "Duh. Put his legs out." It really wasn't a conscious decision about his size. He was getting uncomfortable and stretching every.single.time so I just started always putting him in with legs out.
#51 of 56 Old 02-11-2010, 03:41 PM

Helen are all calin bleu's guaze? On the website there's cotton or fleece. There's 2 on eBay right now, one is teal but doesn't say guaze and is a nice colour. The other is, a greenish colour, not the nicest colour in the pic, but close to bf poo colour so perhaps better! Is it generally quite a good quality one then? I'm weighing up either buying a length of linen, or getting one of those.

Has anyone any experience using omni-whatsits (omnibushu I think). They seem in between a mei tai and a wrap. There seems less material than a full on woven wrap so perhaps better for me in the height of summer if I make it with some linen.

I could do with something that's easy to pop in and out of at home, if he starts crying when we're eating or I'm on the computer. Anyone any ideas?

Clare briefly mother for 3 weeks to Isabel 25-12-08, Soaking up every precious moment with my little guy Dec-10. My blog link is in my profile.

1********10**stork-suprise.gif ******20*********30*********40

#52 of 56 Old 02-11-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Trial and error. You can tell when it won't work because baby will look really uncomfortable. We just started legs out in the mei tai and Beco for Everett last week. He was 9 weeks then but he is big for his age (95% for weight/height).

#53 of 56 Old 02-11-2010, 08:45 PM

i've been doing it with R for 3-4 weeks. It's the only hold she likes. Is it bad for her?

#54 of 56 Old 02-11-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
i've been doing it with R for 3-4 weeks. It's the only hold she likes. Is it bad for her?
Are you referring to legs out? As long as she's comfortable. I've had Everett's legs out in the wrap since birth because the cross bars are flexible unlike with the mei tai or structured carriers.

#55 of 56 Old 02-11-2010, 08:56 PM

oh good. Yes, I've had her in the Moby with legs out for a while. She loves it. she gets crazy if I froggy her legs. I tried to do legs out with the Maya wrap but she just does not like that thing. I'll try another hold when neck control gets better. She's almost there, small but spry!

#56 of 56 Old 02-12-2010, 12:59 PM

I think that carrying baby forward facing is also hard on mama's back--the baby has more body mass farther in front of you, which makes for a heavier feel, kwim? Like if you hold ten pounds against your chest vs. holding it at arm's length, huge difference! Now if your back is strong enough for it, do it mamas! If the carrier is supportive of the babies back, there should be zero harm in it.

When DD started getting ready to really look around, I invested in an Ellaroo Mei Hip. It's got the benefits of a sling, but it looks and feels like a mei tai. I looooove it! And when she was a bit larger, I started with the back carries. I am a total goof with wrapping back carries, so I waited until she was large enough for me to feel comfortable putting her back there in a mei tai (which was approx. 6 mos. old). She loved it for the next year and a half!

Now I own two woven wraps (I adore little babies in wraps!!), a Mei Hip, a ring sling, an Ergo, and four made-by-me mei tais. And I'm making a soft-structured carrier based off of a mix of an Ergo/Beco as soon as I get the fancy buckles in the mail! It's an addiction!

Mama to a wild girl and a chill lil' man , wife to a mad scientist , and resident of a country that I love to hate and hate to love.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page