sleep?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 02-07-2010, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are having such sleep challenges. Ds (who is very refluxy) will only sleep being worn during the day or on my chest at night. If I move him off my chest onto the bed that is level, he spits up/chokes on reflux. If I prop him up (like on the boppy) he'll sleep for maybe 1/2 hr at a time. So night time is such a circus! I move him around all night trying to find a position that works...

Are we the only ones going through this? I'm so tired.

mumma to sweet 7 year old girl
and darling 2 year old guy

#2 of 15 Old 02-07-2010, 10:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm so sorry to hear that. DD does not have reflux, but most nights she wakes up every couple of hours. Maybe 2 nights a week she sleeps for 3-4 hour stretches (though we've only had 2 four hour stretches ever). Her problems are at the other end though and a lot of times when she wakes up in the wee hours, she is writhing around, fussing, trying to pass gas or poop and I get no sleep.

mama to Rassa, born 12/9/09
#3 of 15 Old 02-08-2010, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yentroc View Post
We are having such sleep challenges. Ds (who is very refluxy) will only sleep being worn during the day or on my chest at night. If I move him off my chest onto the bed that is level, he spits up/chokes on reflux. If I prop him up (like on the boppy) he'll sleep for maybe 1/2 hr at a time. So night time is such a circus! I move him around all night trying to find a position that works...

Are we the only ones going through this? I'm so tired.
I have been dealing with much the same thing here. DS did not sleep unless worn, cried all. the. time., he appeared to have reflux, his poop was sometimes green but always mucousy, he was vomiting every couple of days and could launch it two or three feet. Then a friend mentioned that maybe the reflux was being caused by food intolerences. I decided to look into that and chose elimination diet to determine if this were in fact the case. Since cutting out gluten/dairy/soy/nuts/corn(as best I can) ds has been sleeping very well, he's playful when awake, wakes with a smile, and hasn't vomited in over a week. I've been on ED for just about two weeks now and the last time he did vomit was after I'd accidentally eaten chips containing milk/milk proteins.
I'm not sure any of this is of any help to you but it might be worth looking into.

GL!
#4 of 15 Old 02-08-2010, 02:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casha'sMommy View Post
I have been dealing with much the same thing here. DS did not sleep unless worn, cried all. the. time., he appeared to have reflux, his poop was sometimes green but always mucousy, he was vomiting every couple of days and could launch it two or three feet. Then a friend mentioned that maybe the reflux was being caused by food intolerences. I decided to look into that and chose elimination diet to determine if this were in fact the case. Since cutting out gluten/dairy/soy/nuts/corn(as best I can) ds has been sleeping very well, he's playful when awake, wakes with a smile, and hasn't vomited in over a week. I've been on ED for just about two weeks now and the last time he did vomit was after I'd accidentally eaten chips containing milk/milk proteins.
I'm not sure any of this is of any help to you but it might be worth looking into.

GL!
Funny you should mention diet... I just started a total elimination diet today. I was completely off diary and soy for the past month and that didn't seem to do much. I talked to ds's Naturopath and she said real food intolerances show up with mucus-y poop that you described which ds has not been having (my dd did for sure) She also said that dairy and soy were the big ones but I was, however, eating a TON of peanut butter every day for the fast/easy protein. He had what I thought was baby acne going on but it was starting to spread to his back/chest/scalp. Since I haven't eaten PB for the past few days it's almost completely gone...

Glad your LO is sleeping better!

#5 of 15 Old 02-08-2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Funny you should mention diet... I just started a total elimination diet today. I was completely off diary and soy for the past month and that didn't seem to do much. I talked to ds's Naturopath and she said real food intolerances show up with mucus-y poop that you described which ds has not been having (my dd did for sure) She also said that dairy and soy were the big ones but I was, however, eating a TON of peanut butter every day for the fast/easy protein. He had what I thought was baby acne going on but it was starting to spread to his back/chest/scalp. Since I haven't eaten PB for the past few days it's almost completely gone...

Have you done any reading/lurking in the Allergies forum in Health and Healing? There is so much great information there. (including RECIPES!:-)
I decided on just what to eliminate by spending a little time there and then doing more research online.
Hope you get some sleep soon. GL!

Cate
#6 of 15 Old 02-08-2010, 12:52 PM

The diet is hard, I'm on it too and DD's digestive issues have gotten WAY better. But, I just realized that the vitamin D I am taking contains soy. I don't know if such a minute amount is going to make a difference, but I'm sure I am not managing to get rid of all it...

still trying. avoiding sugar for yeast is hard on top of the diet...

#7 of 15 Old 02-08-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattooed Hand View Post
The diet is hard, I'm on it too and DD's digestive issues have gotten WAY better. But, I just realized that the vitamin D I am taking contains soy. I don't know if such a minute amount is going to make a difference, but I'm sure I am not managing to get rid of all it...

still trying. avoiding sugar for yeast is hard on top of the diet...
I am currently searching for vegan and gluten free supplements for myself. DS is, however, taking Carlson Baby Ddrops (d3). It says it is sugar/soy/milk/casein/corn/wheat/gluten free. You might look into what else they might have in a d for you. I've also read some things about taking d2 rather than d3 as it's supposed to have fewer no-no's in it.
#8 of 15 Old 02-08-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:

My DD was severly allergic to everything including peanut butter. We are still a peanut free household. PB gave her the worse eczema. I first thought it was baby acne too. Until it spread all over and started to ooze/crust over. I started off with a dairy and then a wheat elimination. That helped and her reflux went away, but she still had all the other symptoms until I started cutting out the rest of the allergens that were bothering her. She slept horribly for the first 3 years of life.

Di Linh, mama to DS1 (7), DD(4), DS2 (b 12/01/09)
#9 of 15 Old 02-08-2010, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by evinmom View Post
My DD was severly allergic to everything including peanut butter. We are still a peanut free household. PB gave her the worse eczema. I first thought it was baby acne too. Until it spread all over and started to ooze/crust over. I started off with a dairy and then a wheat elimination. That helped and her reflux went away, but she still had all the other symptoms until I started cutting out the rest of the allergens that were bothering her. She slept horribly for the first 3 years of life.
I'm totally scared that he might have a peanut allergy since it's my (very picky) dd's favorite food.

Dd slept horribly for the first 3 yrs of her life too. A big one for her is gluten. We're already gluten and dairy free, so that part is not hard. The hidden soy is hard for me. (and I LOVE Thai food and sushi )

Right now I'm doing Dr. Sears' TED. I'm only eating turkey, sweet potatoes, white potatoes, rice, and pears. NOT fun.

OT: Di Linh, did your reflux babes have nasal congestion? Ds seems to be always congested and it seems related to the reflux...

#10 of 15 Old 02-08-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:
I'm totally scared that he might have a peanut allergy since it's my (very picky) dd's favorite food.

Dd slept horribly for the first 3 yrs of her life too. A big one for her is gluten. We're already gluten and dairy free, so that part is not hard. The hidden soy is hard for me. (and I LOVE Thai food and sushi )

Right now I'm doing Dr. Sears' TED. I'm only eating turkey, sweet potatoes, white potatoes, rice, and pears. NOT fun.

OT: Di Linh, did your reflux babes have nasal congestion? Ds seems to be always congested and it seems related to the reflux...
I read somewhere (Allergies forum maybe?) that the congestion can be a symptom of an intolerance rather than an allergy. DS has horrible congestion that I thought was related to reflux. It seems to occur most often when he's been laying down and the boogers! I often find what appears to be a little white boog right at the edge of his nostril. I'll take the edge of a spit cloth and try to wipe it away only to find that I have to grab it a pull it out and they're ALWAYS loooong. They're like 2" and 3" long every time.
#11 of 15 Old 02-08-2010, 06:42 PM

nak

Looks like we need an elimination diet thread, Count me in.

I think I'll go start one...when I get both hands back.

Mandy, Jesus loving, homebirthing, cloth diapering, baby wearing, breastfeeding, non-vaxing, food growing, homeschooling, hippy mama of 4.
#12 of 15 Old 02-09-2010, 12:40 PM

Aloe vera juice is great to stop reflux! I used it on dd1 to stop the it during the times it bothered her. She was sooo much more content and slept through the night.

Nichole, wife to Kris SAHM to Timothy : :10-11-03, Hosanna , Seraphim 8-17-08 : caught by Grandma! Faith 1-4-10 : Caught by Daddy!
#13 of 15 Old 02-09-2010, 04:34 PM

I just added peanuts back in today. I'm trying things one by one (even though I had soy by accident) in th AM so the reaction maybe(?) will be during the day rather than at its worst at night.

So far she seems fine with gluten.

#14 of 15 Old 02-09-2010, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattooed Hand View Post
I just added peanuts back in today. I'm trying things one by one (even though I had soy by accident) in th AM so the reaction maybe(?) will be during the day rather than at its worst at night.

So far she seems fine with gluten.
Yay! How long did you exclude things?

#15 of 15 Old 02-09-2010, 06:46 PM

I cut out gluten, soy, dairy, peanuts, eggs and corn for 3 weeks and then began adding things back in a few days ago. I'm actually worried about losing too much weight too fast. That's bad for breastfeeding, right?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page