Weekly Rambling Chat Feb 7-14 - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 51 Old 02-10-2010, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ithappened View Post
evinmom- DH is on diapers and Id say when we were trying CDing he was changing after every feeding (every 2-4 hours from 9pm-9am) with the disposibles at night, DS can go 6 hours or so before getting fussy/feeling wet . . .

Any suggestions? We're really wanting to stay with CDs at night but the soaking the bed, esp when we cosleep sucks.
I listed some suggestions in a previous post (probably page 1 now). I suggested some super absorbant fitteds and some kind of bullet proof cover like wool. Some moms I know are able to have their kids go all night with 1 diaper. You need to make sure whatever diaper you choose, there is no gap around the legs. Sometimes with boys if their penises are pointing toward the gap, they will pee right out of the diaper.

ETA: Even if there doesn't look to be a gap when they are laying on their back, being in a side laying position can create that gap in some diapers.

Di Linh, mama to DS1 (7), DD(4), DS2 (b 12/01/09)
#32 of 51 Old 02-10-2010, 04:01 PM

thanks evinmom for some reason I missed your recommendation post

Ill check for the gap.

DS1 Dec 2009 fuzmalesling.gif DZ Twins July 2012 babyboy.gifbabygirl.gif

#33 of 51 Old 02-10-2010, 04:26 PM

I wrote a big post and it's gone :cry

We're here. Levi is almost 7 weeks old, 12.5lbs, and sencitive to all foods...okay, not all foods, I can have rice. Yum.

IH, I have been using prefolds and covers. I used to hate them but they are great now. I think it's because my fbs gave me so much trouble last time. And I love how easy it is to wash and dry them.

Anyway, I just discovered using a toddler prefold and thirsties cover may get us all the way through the night. I've been to scared to leave him in it all night. The first night, I changed him at 3, then last night it was 5:30. Dh did it so I'm not sure if it will make it all the way to 8:00. I'll give it a go.

Oh, I also have Levi sleeping on a thing I made to keep pee/spit up/breast milk off the sheet. It's an old towel I cut with a layer of flannel on the top. They work great and I use them everywhere. On the bed, the changing table, in his bed. I need to make some more, we go through them pretty quickly. They save me from changing sheets more then once a week!

Before I made them, he slept on a big fluffy towel. (I just typed big fluffy owl...I need a nap)

Mandy, Jesus loving, homebirthing, cloth diapering, baby wearing, breastfeeding, non-vaxing, food growing, homeschooling, hippy mama of 4.
#34 of 51 Old 02-11-2010, 06:54 AM

TMI alert but I don't think there is such a thing in a DDC anymore.

My DH and I DTD last night and it was the first time it wasn't terrible painful

I feel like I am slowly getting my life back.. (a little bit anyway). This afternoon DH is watching DS and Im getting my hair cut

ok that is all

#35 of 51 Old 02-11-2010, 11:03 AM

Name: Mary & Emma

Baby's age: 7 weeks, 3 days

Milestones/Updates: We're almost at 10 pounds.... she's had a cold all week and hasn't been eating as well, so I think the weight gain has slowed down. Pooping like a champ, although it's been BRIGHT green because of the virus. Mommy has also been off of dairy (boo!! ) for 2 weeks to see if that helps her gassy issue, which it had been until she got sick. We also found a day care, which is great but I'm sad about.

Thoughts: A few nights ago I spent the whole night with her crying, cried that morning, and again all afternoon. I don't think it's PPD, but there are times I just feel overwhelmed. It is related also to how much DH helps and how much time he spends on his computer, playing his STUPID game. I swear... she's only going to be this size once and he has an eternity to play computer games (and he's NOT working on his dissertation like he needs to!), yet he'll ignore her to play. You'd think as long as it took us to get her, he'd spend as much time as I do cuddling with her and watching her sleep. Grrr.

Living Angel Baby Born 12/21/09
Three angels watching over us.
#36 of 51 Old 02-11-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithappened View Post
TMI alert but I don't think there is such a thing in a DDC anymore.
No such thing!! And for DTD -- we haven't even attempted yet! I really want to do that.

Gods, what I wouldn't give to be able to get a haircut. I think it's been since I was 4 months pregnant that I got a haircut.

#37 of 51 Old 02-11-2010, 12:59 PM

Liz & Finn (8 weeks today!)

Just came back from his dr. visit - he is 12.9 lbs, yay! I wasn't sure how much he was eating since his latch was never really good and still seems to slip off the nipple sometimes, but his weight gain is good so I am feeling better.

My thoughts are all over the place. Husband is trying to find a better job and is on his iphone or the computer all hours of the day - no joke. He is exasperating me. Why do men sexualize breasts so much? Can't I revel in motherhood for a little while without some lewd boob comment? Does he really think that will turn me on? How about doing the dishes... Or changing the sheets. Going to the market? Anything??? Lots of you have been talking about dtd and it would be fun I am sure, but with my husband?? Not interested. and I am in a funk because of it. Bummer.

I really need to get an exercise routine on the calendar. I think I would feel better about myself and the world afterwards... Other than that, things are rolling along!

If you want to sound wise, go to school. If you want to be wise, go to nature.
My 3 sons! 8/92, 1/97 & 12/09!!
#38 of 51 Old 02-11-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doclegs View Post

Thoughts: A few nights ago I spent the whole night with her crying, cried that morning, and again all afternoon. I don't think it's PPD, but there are times I just feel overwhelmed. It is related also to how much DH helps and how much time he spends on his computer, playing his STUPID game. I swear... she's only going to be this size once and he has an eternity to play computer games (and he's NOT working on his dissertation like he needs to!), yet he'll ignore her to play. You'd think as long as it took us to get her, he'd spend as much time as I do cuddling with her and watching her sleep. Grrr.
It seems like every few days, I have a mini-meltdown (crying, snot, hiccups, needing a hug). If DS starts crying and I can't figure it out, sometimes I just hold him and cry with him. I also spent an hour Saturday telling my mom my life was over and how am I ever going to graduate college as a single mom if I can't even get to the toilet to pee??! So while I know I am not suffering from PPD (I am happier than I have ever been), I do get tired and overwhelmed. I am a big crier anyways- whoever said crying doesn't solve anything LIED!! I always feel so much better after I just have a good cry- big emotional release. So. Be encouraged. You are not alone.
#39 of 51 Old 02-11-2010, 01:32 PM

We use disposables at night, too. I hope to eventually move back to cloth, but for right now I just can't make myself give up the extra sleep.

Before H. was born I thought I'd only use prefolds and flats and maybe a few flannel fitteds, but now I think I want to try pocket diapers. This is totally lame, but I STILL find prefolds hard to put on! I just want something with snaps or Velcro. I am basically the husband in my marriage: my husband finds prefolds super-obvious and doesn't understand why I have a hard time getting them on.

My husband is super-interested in learning to do EC: can anyone recommend a really basic primer? I find it kind of daunting: I've tried to pay attention, but I definitely don't recognize his cues for peeing. (And he only poops once every 5 days.)

Science-loving mama to one little guy (11/09).
#40 of 51 Old 02-11-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme Pineapple View Post
It seems like every few days, I have a mini-meltdown (crying, snot, hiccups, needing a hug). If DS starts crying and I can't figure it out, sometimes I just hold him and cry with him. I also spent an hour Saturday telling my mom my life was over and how am I ever going to graduate college as a single mom if I can't even get to the toilet to pee??! So while I know I am not suffering from PPD (I am happier than I have ever been), I do get tired and overwhelmed. I am a big crier anyways- whoever said crying doesn't solve anything LIED!! I always feel so much better after I just have a good cry- big emotional release. So. Be encouraged. You are not alone.
Oh, yeah. I am generally pretty happy right now (I had a tough adjustment to being a mom, though) and yesterday, out of nowhere, I got very upset and sad about how my life was over and I gave up everything to get married and have a baby, I was never going to have any purpose ever again! But today I feel just fine.

I think part of this is hormones, part of it is sleep deprivation, and part of it is that this is a legitimately huge life change. I try to be gentle with myself for having the occasional breakdown.

Science-loving mama to one little guy (11/09).
#41 of 51 Old 02-11-2010, 02:31 PM

My nipples hurt. They are tired.

Just thought I'd share.
#42 of 51 Old 02-11-2010, 03:46 PM

lalemma and Gimme Pineapple- I have breakdowns every week or so about how having a baby has ruined my career or life or relationship or self idenity or fill in the blank and then the next day or sometimes next hour, I am fine. . .

I agree- its hormones and a MAJOR life change, and on top of all that not getting normal amounts of anything- my diet is messed up, my sleep schedule is messed up and we have a total new normal. breakdowns should be expected

ETA: Is anyone else starving constantly? I want to try to lose the PP weight but it feels impossible. . . I am as hungry now as I was during pregnancy and my cravings for all things cheese/chocolate/cereal are 100x worse.

#43 of 51 Old 02-11-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalemma View Post
My husband is super-interested in learning to do EC: can anyone recommend a really basic primer? I find it kind of daunting: I've tried to pay attention, but I definitely don't recognize his cues for peeing. (And he only poops once every 5 days.)

When I first got started EC'ing I liked http://www.diaperfreebaby.org. The forum here is very helpful, too! I do a combination of EC'ing and cloth diapering. DD, who was a late spring baby, was EC'd almost exclusively. The warm weather made it so easy! She LOVED it and was 100% dry overnight, every night, by 1 month old! She staged a bit of a revolt around 12 months, which is pretty normal, but was using the potty only and totally out of diapers before she was 2.

I started with Ciaran about 2 or 3 weeks ago and he is doing well. The little potty gets cold though so we're struggling a bit! I can just potty him without it (I hold him over the sink or tub) but we're still finding our groove. He seems to enjoy it, though. I miss EC'ing outdoors... I think Sage peed everywhere up and down the east coast at least once!

One of the biggest things I do that helps with EC'ing is to spend ALL of our time at home in fitted diapers without covers. That really helped me get their schedules and cues down without missing any opportunities. Don't worry about accidents at first, it will take a while but once you get the hang of it it is really cool!

Beth )O( Homeschooling Mama to blahblah.gif DS (7) luxlove.gif DD (5) and sleepytime.gif DS (1) & #4 on the way in October!!! love.gif
 homebirth.jpgecbaby2.giffemalesling.GIFbf.jpgsewmachine.gifrainbow1284.gifnovaxnoIRC.gifphotosmile2.gif

#44 of 51 Old 02-11-2010, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ears73 View Post
Liz & Finn (8 weeks today!)

Just came back from his dr. visit - he is 12.9 lbs, yay! I wasn't sure how much he was eating since his latch was never really good and still seems to slip off the nipple sometimes, but his weight gain is good so I am feeling better.

My thoughts are all over the place. Husband is trying to find a better job and is on his iphone or the computer all hours of the day - no joke. He is exasperating me. Why do men sexualize breasts so much? Can't I revel in motherhood for a little while without some lewd boob comment? Does he really think that will turn me on? How about doing the dishes... Or changing the sheets. Going to the market? Anything??? Lots of you have been talking about dtd and it would be fun I am sure, but with my husband?? Not interested. and I am in a funk because of it. Bummer.

I really need to get an exercise routine on the calendar. I think I would feel better about myself and the world afterwards... Other than that, things are rolling along!
WTG Finn! Tell DH how sexy it is for guys to do chores and run errands. I totally find it sexy. LOL

Quote:
I really liked the book, "Diaper Free! The Gentle Wisdom of Natural Hygiene" by Ingrid Bauer. http://www.amazon.com/Diaper-Gentle-.../dp/0968751903 One good thing to keep in mind is that EC doesn't have to be all or nothing. A friend of mine only put her baby on the potty 2-3 times a day (on mom's schedule) and her baby still was out of diapers by 20 months. When I first started ECing DD I used to stress a lot about missing. Things were much easier once I learned to relax and not worry about misses. It was too hard to catch all of DD's pees anyway since her allergies caused her to pee ALL the time. DD never had a poopy diaper after her first 2 weeks. That alone was worth it. Not having to washing poop diapers. She was completely out of diapers day and night by 21 months. We are also taking a relaxed approach with ECing Everett. I catch most of his poops now (his poop signs are harder to read) and 50% of pees. I have 2 other kids and homeschool so I am definitely not expecting myself to be ECing 100% of the time.

Quote:
The little potty gets cold though so we're struggling a bit! I can just potty him without it
You can put a fleece cover over it. They sell them at the EC Store or you can make your own easily. Just get some fleece, sew a tube that fits around the potty, then sew in elastic at the top and bottom of the tube.

Di Linh, mama to DS1 (7), DD(4), DS2 (b 12/01/09)
#45 of 51 Old 02-11-2010, 06:45 PM

I am about to try ECing as well - got Daiper Free Baby from the library last week and have subscribed to the boards here... I hope it goes well!

If you want to sound wise, go to school. If you want to be wise, go to nature.
My 3 sons! 8/92, 1/97 & 12/09!!
#46 of 51 Old 02-11-2010, 06:49 PM

I just got peed on while reading these EC posts...Not sure how that happened, but he leaked right out of his diaper, all over my shirt...

I am afraid I bought cloth diapers that I will never use...he had a rash from hell and I had to use cream so we were in disposables. Now he's leaking all over the damn place.
#47 of 51 Old 02-11-2010, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evinmom View Post
You can put a fleece cover over it. They sell them at the EC Store or you can make your own easily. Just get some fleece, sew a tube that fits around the potty, then sew in elastic at the top and bottom of the tube.
Why didn't I think of that? Must be a my sleep deprived haze (which isn't too bad, actually... lol). Now I have a project to do tomorrow! Thanks for the great idea!

Beth )O( Homeschooling Mama to blahblah.gif DS (7) luxlove.gif DD (5) and sleepytime.gif DS (1) & #4 on the way in October!!! love.gif
 homebirth.jpgecbaby2.giffemalesling.GIFbf.jpgsewmachine.gifrainbow1284.gifnovaxnoIRC.gifphotosmile2.gif

#48 of 51 Old 02-12-2010, 02:34 AM

Name: Nina & Elliot

Baby's age: 9 weeks

Milestones/Updates: Elliot rolls tummy to back, smiles, starting to make more little cute vowel-y sounds

Thoughts: Weekend was great! I went to a show with a friend and Elliot did fine with DH. This week has gone straight downhill though - DH has worked 10-12 hours every day this week and DD has been a hellion. But I lost another pound. 17 to go

I'm finding my SAHM routine. I have us occupied most days of the week - skating, library, playgroup, grocery shopping, baking. I love hanging out with my kids but I hate the feeling of constantly trying to fill time.
#49 of 51 Old 02-12-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme Pineapple View Post
I am a big crier anyways- whoever said crying doesn't solve anything LIED!! I always feel so much better after I just have a good cry- big emotional release. So. Be encouraged. You are not alone.
Yes and YES! Thank you. I'm a crier anyway too... and I don't think LO minds (unless I get her poor little head all wet).

Motherhood is a lot harder than I thought it would be.

#50 of 51 Old 02-12-2010, 04:48 PM

lalemma I never gave my other half anythign to read on EC. I don't know if he'd've responded well to just reading. I read tribalbaby and followed a few links on the resource page. Then well I just had a go. When I changed his nappy I'd offer the potty (which really reduces the number of times I'm peed on and he pees on his own head). Leo sort of squiggles and is a tiny bit fussy when he needs the loo. So I offer when he's wiggling a bit or just after a feed. My OH saw me get a few catches and then just joined in after a few days. I think you just have to jump in and keep offering the potty. We use CDs so perhaps that's a bit easier as he's more aware of going to the loo. Generally most nappys are only a bit of pee or poo that he couldn't hold in if we don't get him to the potty quick enough. The main thing is hold for long enough, at the start I'd hold him a little, then he'd pee back on the changing mat.

We use cloth in the day and catch as much as we can. Often dry for a few hours before we get a little pee. We've had a 4/5 hour dry patch though which was nice. At night and out we'll use disposables. So we're part time everything.

IH
Yeah I've the munchies too, I think basically when you're breastfeeding your body wants to have some fat stored up. It helps losing pp weight, but there's a point our bodies won't let us go past so we've got reserves. I'm carrying about 7lb up from my first pre Isabel weight (my true pre baby weight and the weight I always used to be) and about 3lb up from my pre Leo weight. I fit all my normal winter clothes and don't have full length mirrors so I'm not that bothered.

Clare briefly mother for 3 weeks to Isabel 25-12-08, Soaking up every precious moment with my little guy Dec-10. My blog link is in my profile.

1********10**stork-suprise.gif ******20*********30*********40

#51 of 51 Old 02-13-2010, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doclegs View Post
Motherhood is a lot harder than I thought it would be.
Me too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page