What's everyone doing for BC? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 02-09-2010, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Now that we've had the "how do you have sex" and "oh G_d, is my period returning?!?" threads, can I take this to the logical conclusion and ask what everyone is doing for birth control?

We got pregnant while using FAM (protip: if you have a temp spike three days before you expect to ovulate and you're feeling kind of sickly, maybe you have a mild fever, genius.) so we're gunshy on that front, and not willing to chance a really closely-spaced pregnancy if we miss my first cycle while breastfeeding.

I've never been on hormonal birth control, and I'm hesitant about it in general, and particularly while breastfeeding. We were considering an IUD, but I'm not sure about the hormonal one/Mirena, and I've heard a lot of people talk about heavy periods with the copper one/Paraguard. So we're just using condoms right now. Once my cycles return I think I'll start tracking them again, and maybe pair FAM with condoms...?

How about you?

Science-loving mama to one little guy (11/09).
#2 of 33 Old 02-09-2010, 04:32 PM

I know this will not be the popular answer here, since it looks like many of you want more babies...

But I just got an email from dh saying he booked his vasectomy appt for this Saturday! We're sure ds is our last but I'm sure I'll still go through some grieving for no more kiddos.

I think my early ovulation this month scared the pants off him (literally!)

mumma to sweet 7 year old girl
and darling 2 year old guy

#3 of 33 Old 02-09-2010, 04:41 PM

We're going to use condoms. After years of birth control pills in my 20s, never again. We found some good ones at an online sex shop that are way way better than the store bought kind and will just use those. Seeing as how I got pregnant the first time we had unprotected sex, we'll be using condoms immediately...if we ever manage to have sex again... our attempt this morning ended prematurely because Rassa had a big blow out next to us on the bed, getting poo everywhere...

mama to Rassa, born 12/9/09
#4 of 33 Old 02-09-2010, 04:49 PM

I don't know... I hate birth control (yes, I know, that's why I have 4 kids )

I have a prescription for the mini pill...

but ideally DH would go in or the Big V.

I've been talking to him for months about it, and he is sort of coming around to the idea.

Ideally we would chart, but like your experience with FAM, NFP is difficult while breastfeeding...

Not that I am really into sex right now, but I know DH is... the idea of getting pregnant right now is a big turn off, even with the ecological breastfeeding...

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

#5 of 33 Old 02-09-2010, 07:40 PM

Condoms until AF returns. Then NFP again. I guess the advantage to having AF back early last time was the ability to chart and not have to use condoms. Although I think I still prefer a delay return to fertility this time around. I don't know about others but getting my fertility back early messes with my milk supply from ovulation until end of AF every month. It's annoying. Since I am now pumping for donation, I'd rather keep my supply high for as long as possible.

Di Linh, mama to DS1 (7), DD(4), DS2 (b 12/01/09)
#6 of 33 Old 02-09-2010, 09:17 PM

We are still figuring that out. I want DH to get snipped but he's not comfy with that idea.

OP I had a Paraguard and while my periods weren't heavy they were longer. Mine actually ended up falling out (note: menstrual cups aren't always IUD friendly). I didn't realize how much the copper had affected me until then though (the copper can throw your hormone levels off balance apparently [if you are already sensitive to that sort of thing] which I think was the case for me). I didn't realize how ornry and emotional I had been until it was out and I felt clear headed.

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
#7 of 33 Old 02-10-2010, 02:24 AM

As a single gal with a shattered heart, I am not having sex for a long time. My doc and I had quite the lol-tastic conversation about that.

Doc: What method of contraception do you plan to use?

Me: Abstinence.

Doc: Was that how he got here?

Me: No. He got here because I had a very luscious boyfriend and too much beer. I now have neither.

Doc: Well, I hear those things are easy to find. Are you sure I don't need to write you up for something?

Me: After the break-up I went through, the last thing on my mind is getting out in the street trying to get some.

He gave me a hug and dropped it.
#8 of 33 Old 02-10-2010, 09:44 AM

You're having sex?!?!
#9 of 33 Old 02-10-2010, 01:33 PM

Well, since I just had one, single red spot that looked suspciously like implantation spotting (which I've had with every one of my pregnancies... always on the same day post-ovulation and always the same amount of blood) it looks like pregnancy might possibly be my current form of birth control.

Ugh.

Beth )O( Homeschooling Mama to blahblah.gif DS (7) luxlove.gif DD (5) and sleepytime.gif DS (1) & #4 on the way in October!!! love.gif
 homebirth.jpgecbaby2.giffemalesling.GIFbf.jpgsewmachine.gifrainbow1284.gifnovaxnoIRC.gifphotosmile2.gif

#10 of 33 Old 02-10-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme Pineapple View Post
As a single gal with a shattered heart, I am not having sex for a long time. My doc and I had quite the lol-tastic conversation about that.

Doc: What method of contraception do you plan to use?

Me: Abstinence.

Doc: Was that how he got here?

Me: No. He got here because I had a very luscious boyfriend and too much beer. I now have neither.

Doc: Well, I hear those things are easy to find. Are you sure I don't need to write you up for something?

Me: After the break-up I went through, the last thing on my mind is getting out in the street trying to get some.

He gave me a hug and dropped it.
That is priceless!!!!

Beth )O( Homeschooling Mama to blahblah.gif DS (7) luxlove.gif DD (5) and sleepytime.gif DS (1) & #4 on the way in October!!! love.gif
 homebirth.jpgecbaby2.giffemalesling.GIFbf.jpgsewmachine.gifrainbow1284.gifnovaxnoIRC.gifphotosmile2.gif

#11 of 33 Old 02-10-2010, 01:43 PM

Id like the vasectomy but DH isnt big on that idea.. my OB gave me a BCP perscription but we're having no sex at the moment so I havent started them but honestly hate hate the idea of them

not sure what we'll do

DS1 Dec 2009 fuzmalesling.gif DZ Twins July 2012 babyboy.gifbabygirl.gif

#12 of 33 Old 02-10-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethanyclaire View Post
Well, since I just had one, single red spot that looked suspciously like implantation spotting (which I've had with every one of my pregnancies... always on the same day post-ovulation and always the same amount of blood) it looks like pregnancy might possibly be my current form of birth control.

Ugh.
Wow! Good luck and maybe congrats.

No offense to those who prefer their babies close in age, but my worst fear is getting pregnant again before my baby is a year old. It makes me sad to think of having to switch my baby to formula. My older kids have both weaned within the first 3-4 months of pregnancy and they were much older when I got pregnant again.

#13 of 33 Old 02-10-2010, 04:10 PM

Well, Dh has his V appt for next week. I may have talked him into TTC for 6 months, really 5 months. I want another baby but soon. If I don't get pg right away, he'll have the snip and we'll be done.

I don't want to be raising kids forever but extending parenting by 18 months is nothing (I know I'll never really be done parenting, maybe I mean homeschooling, lol).

So I guess for me it's now or never

Mandy, Jesus loving, homebirthing, cloth diapering, baby wearing, breastfeeding, non-vaxing, food growing, homeschooling, hippy mama of 4.
#14 of 33 Old 02-10-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evinmom View Post

No offense to those who prefer their babies close in age, but my worst fear is getting pregnant again before my baby is a year old. It makes me sad to think of having to switch my baby to formula. My older kids have both weaned within the first 3-4 months of pregnancy and they were much older when I got pregnant again.
Thanks. I wanted another for sure but this is WAY sooner than I expected. I'm not really worried about having to switch to formula though (that would devastate me, seriously). I nursed DS through my entire pregnancy with DD and did not have any issues with supply. He was just shy of 12 months old when she was conceived but still relying on nursing for 90% of his nutrition. He ate very little in the way of solids until 18 months. I just had to be super conscious and aware of my diet. I know that's not the case for everyone though.

#15 of 33 Old 02-10-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:

Me too. I don't know much about nursing while pregnant and I should learn because we want another one and we have to think about spacing (since I am also 34 and want to do it all together because I will eventually be the breadwinner of the family). But I want to give her at least a year where my body is all hers, if not longer.

mama to Rassa, born 12/9/09
#16 of 33 Old 02-10-2010, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmandy View Post
Well, Dh has his V appt for next week. I may have talked him into TTC for 6 months, really 5 months.

So I guess for me it's now or never
that sounds like fun TTC has been fun for us in the past. I think that is why, or one of the reasons my DH fears the V. I think he thinks that he will be less desirable. But frankly, hormonal birth control makes me fat and bitchy, and I am very ethically opposed to it. I've never been able to take it before for more then a few weeks. So maybe that will be enough motivation for DH...

I might check out some condoms because at least then there is no potential fertilized eggs, but think I worry about them breaking...

#17 of 33 Old 02-10-2010, 08:53 PM

I really, really, really, really do not like birth control
Starting to get in the mood for intimacy but husband is driving me batty so who knows if I will need it. Ever again.

If you want to sound wise, go to school. If you want to be wise, go to nature.
My 3 sons! 8/92, 1/97 & 12/09!!
#18 of 33 Old 02-10-2010, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattooed Hand View Post
Me too. I don't know much about nursing while pregnant and I should learn because we want another one and we have to think about spacing (since I am also 34 and want to do it all together because I will eventually be the breadwinner of the family). But I want to give her at least a year where my body is all hers, if not longer.
Unfortunately most of the information/research available on tandem nursing and milk supply during pregnancy talk about older babies (close to 1 year old) and toddlers. There isn't much information on successful breastfeeding of a newborn or young baby while pregnant. Pregnancy puts an added burden on your body nutritionally so in order continue breastfeeding you would need to ensure that you get extra rest, fluids, and nutritious food. While it is true that some women do not notice a decrease in milk supply while pregnant, it is also true that many do. According to two surveys reviewed in La Leche League's "The Breastfeeding Answer Book," approximately 60-65% noticed a decrease in supply (usually during the last four months.) Many factors affect this: a woman's overall health during pregnancy, nausea and morning sickness, nutrition, rest, hormones, genetics, etc. You can't do much about the hormones and genetics, but you can focus on the things you have control over--nutrition and rest.

Some women are just very sensitive to hormonal changes. I get a lot of moms who call me with supply issues after they start using the mini pill (progesterone only pill). Many women find that their milk supply even decreases around the time of ovulation and menstruation. When I used to exclusively pump for Gavin, I noticed a slight decrease in supply from the week before ovulation to the last day of AF. For example if I normally could pump 10 oz out of one breast, I was only able to pump 2-3 oz during this time. This happened 2 weeks out of every month for me which is really stressful when you are exclusively pumping.

Here are some articles on milk supply while pregnant.

http://www.angelfire.com/md2/moodyfamily/supply.html

http://beta.essortment.com/17594-inc...lk-supply.html

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/baby/bre...henpregexpert/

#19 of 33 Old 02-10-2010, 09:49 PM

interesting... I thought it was the pill with synthetic E and P not just the P that effected milk supply...

#20 of 33 Old 02-10-2010, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmel23 View Post
interesting... I thought it was the pill with synthetic E and P not just the P that effected milk supply...
Most of the moms who call me in this situation tell me they just got on the mini-pill and were told by their OBs that it shouldn't affect their milk supply. Interestingly enough, once they decide to stop the mini-pill their supply bounces right back. These are probably the same women who would notice a decrease in supply if pregnant.

Each one of these articles mentions that some women experience a drop in supply while on the mini pill.

http://www.pumpstation.com/pumpstati...p?dept_id=3278

http://babyparenting.about.com/cs/br.../bcnursing.htm

http://lactinv.com/breastfeeding_qna...ur_milk_supply

http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/birthcontrol.html

#21 of 33 Old 02-10-2010, 11:42 PM

^^^I was also warned by a LC that often it takes the mini pill 2-4 weeks to decrease milk supply, which can lead many women to believe that the two aren't related. She said she constantly has mothers in her office about a month after starting the mini pill complaining about milk supply.

I have yet to have sex. By the time she's sleep, DP is too. Or she wakes up. Not that I'm horny, but I feel like I should try it so that my libido can come back (if that makes sense). Oddly enough, I feel sexy as hell though. Stretch marks/extra lbs and all.

First-time mama due on Dec 3rd 2009!
Update: Baby girl born Nov 19th!
#22 of 33 Old 02-11-2010, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ears73 View Post
Starting to get in the mood for intimacy but husband is driving me batty so who knows if I will need it. Ever again.
#23 of 33 Old 02-11-2010, 02:29 PM

Nothing.
I loved, loved, loved the YAZ, but the lawsuit going on kinda makes me believe that it wouldn't be such a good idea.
We bought a 12 pack of condoms and there are only 2 missing. I was supposed to get an IUD, but I started having second, third, and fourth thoughts against it. So, yeah. I'm taking bets on how long it takes me to get re-pregnant. Any ideas for some good D names.

Mindie, wife to Mark, not-so-crunchy mom to Dylan (4/04); Devon (6/06); Dorothy (9/07); Derek (12/19/09); Daniel (12/18/10); Newbie D (2/22/12)

#24 of 33 Old 02-11-2010, 03:52 PM

We're using the Eh method of birth control. (I saw that here on MDC once, and laughed like crazy.)

V is almost 9 weeks old, I haven't bled PP since about 3 weeks, and we've been DTD fairly regularly since then.

At first I thought for sure we'd be okay, bc of the whole breastfeeding thing. Then our NP told us at her 1 month check up that she has 3 girls, 11, 10, and 9. The oldest two are 10 months apart in age. She was bfing and everything.

V went for a few weeks sleeping fully through the night- from 11-7ish, but is now back to eating in the middle of the night, and she does use a paci, so we'll see...

We're not TRYING per se, esp as I am worried about bfing such a young infant while pg, but we're totally not NOT trying, too. Regardless, we do want to start actively trying once she's 6 months old.

We're lunatics, I know.

Doctors aren't out to kill you or your children. Childbirth isn't inherently safe. Science is actually smarter than your intuition. Lighten up. Use sunscreen.

#25 of 33 Old 02-11-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Most of the moms who call me in this situation tell me they just got on the mini-pill and were told by their OBs that it shouldn't affect their milk supply. Interestingly enough, once they decide to stop the mini-pill their supply bounces right back. These are probably the same women who would notice a decrease in supply if pregnant.

Each one of these articles mentions that some women experience a drop in supply while on the mini pill.

http://www.pumpstation.com/pumpstati...p?dept_id=3278

http://babyparenting.about.com/cs/br.../bcnursing.htm

http://lactinv.com/breastfeeding_qna...ur_milk_supply

http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/birthcontrol.html
ugh. I do not want to take that, then. This is pissing me off because I clearly stated that this was a concern of mine. In the past I haven't had my AF return for almost a year... but still I don't want to get pregnant ever again. But I hate hate hate hormonal birth control.

I just don't trust one condom alone-- maybe 3 condoms

#26 of 33 Old 02-12-2010, 08:02 PM

I'm going to echo whoever said "I hate birth control!"

Just found out about ecological breastfeeding and am thrilled about it! Going to also learn to check my mucus and use that portion of NFP which breastfeeding apparently does not interfere with.

I'm told that whenever I feel horny I should abstain because it means I'm ovulating. What kind of a crappy system is that?

Diana, homebirthing, homeschooling, homemaking wife and mother of two (plus one more coming this Spring)!
Wrap Your Baby Comfy, versatile baby carriers and lots of wrap instruction.
Preparing to move our family of five into a motorhome and live on the road fulltime at Free Range Dreams.
#27 of 33 Old 02-12-2010, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adasmommy View Post
I'm told that whenever I feel horny I should abstain because it means I'm ovulating. What kind of a crappy system is that?
It's a brilliant one. Trust me. If not, you can meet DD2 AND DD3. Damn hormones.

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
#28 of 33 Old 02-12-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlet View Post
It's a brilliant one. Trust me. If not, you can meet DD2 AND DD3. Damn hormones.
Yup, Ciaran is also proof of that system... it does suck but it is TRUE!!!

#29 of 33 Old 02-12-2010, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Yeah, exactly!!
I just took out Taking Charge of Your Fertility - it is the fertility awareness method. Maybe it will do me good to actually be aware of my cycle... But I agree w/pp too - if I am in the mood, chances are body wants to make baby for real!

If you want to sound wise, go to school. If you want to be wise, go to nature.
My 3 sons! 8/92, 1/97 & 12/09!!
#30 of 33 Old 02-13-2010, 02:44 PM

Quote:
That's how we got Levi.

Mandy, Jesus loving, homebirthing, cloth diapering, baby wearing, breastfeeding, non-vaxing, food growing, homeschooling, hippy mama of 4.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page