*o..* MEMBER SPOTLIGHT 2/12 & 2/13 - bethanyclaire *..o* - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 02-12-2010, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HOW IT WORKS:

We will ask you questions, you will answer them, or if you just have any words of wisdom or basically anything you want to share, post it here- it is YOUR thread! we will have a good time!

(participants: basically no question is off limits, so ask away- but if she doesn't feel comfortable answering, she doesn't have to!)

These first few basic questions so we can all remember who you are!
Name:
DDC Baby's Name:
Family (partner, other children, and/or furbabies):

And a few more so we can get to know you better!
What number pregnancy was this for you?:
Hobbies/Interests:
Share one weird/interesting fact about yourself:

Di Linh, mama to DS1 (7), DD(4), DS2 (b 12/01/09)
#2 of 15 Old 02-12-2010, 07:04 PM

Name: Beth
DDC Baby's Name: Ciaran
Family (partner, other children, and/or furbabies): DP: Matt(we're engaged and are planning to get married eventually), DS1: Aiden, DD: Sage, 2 German Shepherds: Bella & Anya, 1 Pomeranian (DS1's dog): Chaya and 6 cats: Chansu, Lillian (we call her Bitty Bat), Ming, Alchemy, Anita & Rizzo (short for Arizona). There are 5 Siamese cats and 1 long-haired calico. I have a horse, Cimmaron, that I've had since I was 9 years old. She lives at my mom's house 15 minutes away. We also have 2 Sugar Gliders. I'm a huge animal lover.

And a few more so we can get to know you better!

What number pregnancy was this for you?: 4th (I had a m/c before this pregnancy, lost at 11 weeks)

Occupation: Mostly a SAHM but I also work a few part-time jobs and do my networking and communications for them from home. I work as a model, photographer and makeup artist part-time but I'm taking a few months off and plan to start taking jobs again sometime in the early summer. Pre-family I worked as a veterinary technician and horseback riding instructor. I was in pre-vet in college before I got married and decided to start a family... then life got in the way of college so I dropped out. I've gone back once but had a hard time juggling 2 babies and school but I'm going to go back again in a few years. I want to double major in psychology and social sevices.

Hobbies/Interests: Too many, lol! I love photography, horseback riding reading, sewing, volunteering, jogging, animals, crafting, interior design, historic real estate, wood working and anything to do with natural living and parenting.

Share one weird/interesting fact about yourself: I am seriously a jack of all trades (and master of very few). I've tried everything once, lol! I have been to school for a dozen things and have certifications in a dozen more! I'm a licensed real estate agent, certified bartender, certified makeup artist and a bunch more stuff. I've taken classes in everything from welding and electrical to photography and interior design to animal husbandry and agriculture. I have this obsession with trying new things, I just rarely stick with anything for more than a few months. I have the attention span of a fruit fly but SO many good ideas!

Strange fact: I've taken 6 years of French and I can still barely speak a sentence of it. It is sad but I have no aptitude for foreign languages.

Beth )O( Homeschooling Mama to blahblah.gif DS (7) luxlove.gif DD (5) and sleepytime.gif DS (1) & #4 on the way in October!!! love.gif
 homebirth.jpgecbaby2.giffemalesling.GIFbf.jpgsewmachine.gifrainbow1284.gifnovaxnoIRC.gifphotosmile2.gif

#3 of 15 Old 02-12-2010, 07:44 PM

I've just realised living with a guy who builds cars has changed me and made me slightly less girly than I used to be. When you say you've taken classes in welding the first question that popped out was - gas or stick, steel or ally.

What skills are on your to do list?

Clare briefly mother for 3 weeks to Isabel 25-12-08, Soaking up every precious moment with my little guy Dec-10. My blog link is in my profile.

1********10**stork-suprise.gif ******20*********30*********40

#4 of 15 Old 02-12-2010, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

I double majored in psychology and sociology. I also have no aptitude for learning languages. I took 7 years of French, but was not very good at speaking it. I used to be able to read and write in French pretty well though. I scored high enough on the AP test that I didn't have to take a language in college.

How do all your animals get along? Who is responsible for their daily care? How long do horses live?

#5 of 15 Old 02-12-2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazer6 View Post
I've just realised living with a guy who builds cars has changed me and made me slightly less girly than I used to be. When you say you've taken classes in welding the first question that popped out was - gas or stick, steel or ally.

What skills are on your to do list?
I learned to weld steel first. I didn't actually like welding that much but I LOVED learning electrical and plumbing. My dad is a blacksmith so I also learned to forge steel. It fascinates me! I loved to watch him strike red hot steel as a kid... the sparks flying everywhere were awesome! He shoes horses so I started young with all of that. I'm not exactly a girly-girl. LOL!

On my to do list? Hmmm... a few that I can think of. I want to start shooting competitively. I learned to shoot at about 8 years old and then decided to become a pacifist of sorts and refused to even touch a gun again until I was in my late teens. We lived in a very rural area where shooting was a life skill that I needed to have (my mom once shot a rabid raccoon that was just feet from attacking me while I was coming in from the barn). A few years ago I picked up the hobby more seriously and got my pistol permit. I'm a decent shot but I would really like to log some more practice hours and get involved in competitive target shooting.

Aside from that I would really like to go sky diving. I've promised myself that I won't go until the kids are all over though... just in case. I'd like to get my SCUBA certification also. Oh, and later this year I'm going to take some classes in airbrush makeup application. It is the trend right now and I'd like to get certified and get the right equipment to offer it as part of my services.

Beth )O( Homeschooling Mama to blahblah.gif DS (7) luxlove.gif DD (5) and sleepytime.gif DS (1) & #4 on the way in October!!! love.gif
 homebirth.jpgecbaby2.giffemalesling.GIFbf.jpgsewmachine.gifrainbow1284.gifnovaxnoIRC.gifphotosmile2.gif

#6 of 15 Old 02-12-2010, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evinmom View Post
I double majored in psychology and sociology. I also have no aptitude for learning languages. I took 7 years of French, but was not very good at speaking it. I used to be able to read and write in French pretty well though. I scored high enough on the AP test that I didn't have to take a language in college.

How do all your animals get along? Who is responsible for their daily care? How long do horses live?
Oh, I'm so glad it isn't just me! I took 2 years of college French... and all I learned was that our professor was a drunk who liked to give us all Mimosas first thing in the morning (and we were ALL under 21). He would go on and on in French and we hardly understood a word... then he would fall asleep t his desk. Glad I paid for that class...

Did you like being a psychology major? Did you find it helpful to have double majored in sociology? I was originally going to just major in psychology but I've found that unless you go on to obtain a graduate degree that a bachelors in psychology alone isn't that helpful. I eventually want to go into social work and casework so that's why I chose the double major. Someday I'd like to get my masters and work as a psychology specializing in sex therapy. Someday...

On the animal front... they all get along well. I've been told I rule with an iron fist in that regard. They HAVE to get along... this is a small house! The cats and dogs do really well together. They like each other, actually. I have some awesome pictures of my German Shepherd all curled up with youngest Siamese, who I took in when he was really tiny and very sick. He was bottle fed from the time he was born. She was so protective of him! The only problem I have really is that 1 of the cats would LOVE to eat the sugar gliders so I have to watch her carefully. I do pretty much all of the daily care. Since DP and I moved in together he has become a part of the routine and helps some. Before that I was a single mom with all of the pets to take care of on my own, so this seems easy! He cleans the glider cage each morning and has taken over the litterboxes since I got pregnant (I *can* do it, of course, but figured I wouldn't volunteer that information). Other than that it is all me.

Well, my horse has lived longer than most. An average age for a horse is 20-25. Cimmaron is now about 30 years old. Ponies often live to be 30 or older but horses don't often reach 30. I feel really blessed to have her still here and she has had an important part in each of my pregnancies. With DS1 I took him to the barn before I even took him home. I have pictures of him sitting up on her the day he was born (my mom did the same with me and her horse the day I was born). With DD I have photos of me riding her on my due date. This time I did a photo shoot with her right after I found out I was pregnant. She was my best friend for many years and we have a really special bond.

#7 of 15 Old 02-13-2010, 01:39 AM

what do you like most about being a mama? What do you like most about MDC?

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

#8 of 15 Old 02-13-2010, 07:58 AM

Yeah I love watching something come from a lump of red steel is amazing. I would've loved to be able to learn from a blacksmith. I want to have a try at glass blowing, that looks really good and also creating something froma blob of nothing.

I did a skydive when I was younger. It was a really amazing feeling. The freefall was scary, but when the parachute was open it was just such a wonderful experience. I felt like I was floating and loved looking down at the little small cars and people. Not bad considering I'm scared of heights.

Clare briefly mother for 3 weeks to Isabel 25-12-08, Soaking up every precious moment with my little guy Dec-10. My blog link is in my profile.

1********10**stork-suprise.gif ******20*********30*********40

#9 of 15 Old 02-13-2010, 11:22 AM

How did you meet your dp?
Where did the name Ciaran come from?

.....sex therapy.... Interesting - I have been looking for an online resource since husband is starting to convince me that I have some issues here.

It sounds like you are such a helper to man and beast alike - what a full and interesting life!

If you want to sound wise, go to school. If you want to be wise, go to nature.
My 3 sons! 8/92, 1/97 & 12/09!!
#10 of 15 Old 02-13-2010, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmel23 View Post
what do you like most about being a mama? What do you like most about MDC?
I love so many things about being a mama! I think the best thing is the most selfish... I love the feeling of satisfaction I get when I look into my kids' bedrooms at night and see them all curled up, warm, clean, happy and well-fed in their beds. I get a real feeling of fulfillment from being a mom that I have never gotten from anything else in my life. I have truly loved many things that I have done in my life but NOTHING can compare with warm, sticky, kisses on my cheek and tiny baby smiles. Being a mom is really satisfying for me. Don't get me wrong, I have lots of my own interests outside of my kids and some of the things I do are the exact opposite of "warm nurturing mom" me... and I need those, too. Seeing the world through a child's eyes again is such a gift. I love knowing I'm a good mom and putting the time and effort into the details of parenting. I love knowing that my kids will grow up and I will always know that I did the very best that I could for them... and I hope they know that, too.

As far as MDC... I think it is a really cool place. I was on another board when I was pg with DS1 and I just never really fit in. There were some "natural minded" moms, but not many. In those early days I really let my instincts guide me. I read a lot of different books but pretty much let my heart guide my choices. I knew co-sleeping, cloth diapering, natural birthing, sling wearing and all the other AP "stuff" was just right for me. When I found this site I was so happy to see others who were on the same page. I think the thing I love the most about MDC is the diversity. When I first joined here I read a LOT and lurked mostly until I got a real feel for the members and the dynamic here. I liked seeing so many opinions in one place! I do feel like MDC has changed over the past few years, though. There is more mainstream influence here than when I first joined. Back then it was a little more alternative and there was more judgment for mainstream choices. I felt a little sad as I watched that change but I love that there are so many views and opinions to draw from here. That helps me as a parent because I can "see things coming" in terms of other parents expectations and reactions. For example, it was here that I learned to be extra sensitive about nut allergies. I don't have anyone with allergies in my family but being here opened my eyes to that issue. Now I am super careful about it when I send my kids to school with food.

#11 of 15 Old 02-13-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazer6 View Post
Yeah I love watching something come from a lump of red steel is amazing. I would've loved to be able to learn from a blacksmith. I want to have a try at glass blowing, that looks really good and also creating something froma blob of nothing.

I did a skydive when I was younger. It was a really amazing feeling. The freefall was scary, but when the parachute was open it was just such a wonderful experience. I felt like I was floating and loved looking down at the little small cars and people. Not bad considering I'm scared of heights.
I would love to try glass blowing! I know someone who used to do it and it was amazing to watch!

I bet that feeling must have been amazing... just floating and watching everything underneath you slowly come into view! I did go parasailing a few years ago and it was so much fun! That is actually what made me want to skydive!

#12 of 15 Old 02-13-2010, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ears73 View Post
How did you meet your dp?
Where did the name Ciaran come from?

.....sex therapy.... Interesting - I have been looking for an online resource since husband is starting to convince me that I have some issues here.

It sounds like you are such a helper to man and beast alike - what a full and interesting life!

I met DP in high school actually, we just never dated then. He was my best friend's boyfriend's (now husband) best friend (if you can follow that, lol!). I was very independent then and wasn't really into dating. I worked 3 jobs, was an honor student and had a plan in life that just didn't involve boys much. During my divorce I was at my friend's house and he happened to be there. We hit it off right away and we started spending time together doing landscape photography. He was amazing... into poetry and art, well educated and well read and very sweet. We were seriously dating within a few months and the rest is history!

Ciaran is an Irish name. DP and I are both Irish and his last name couldn't be more Irish, so it just fit. It is actually one of the top baby names in Ireland right now. My mom is the one who suggested it... we are both obsessed with names! She suggested Kieran but I didn't like the spelling. Later I found the traditional Irish spelling as opposed to the American one and I loved it, so we went with it. No one can spell or pronounce it, which I'm sure he'll hate us for... but we both love it! DS1's name is Aiden, so we were pretty sure we wanted to stick with the Irish names from the beginning.

Sex therapy... I just find it fascinating. I have been fascinated by sex since I was young enough to know what it was. I used to steal my mom's Redbook magazines and pour over the sexual health sections for hours. I don't know why. Once I got hold of some Cosmo magazines and my first Playboy I was totally hooked! I was way more like a teenage boy that way. I didn't really care about HAVING sex so much (I didn't until I was 18 and with my now ex-H) but I wanted to study it. In my marriage there was a serious problem with sexual abuse, which brought it even more to my attention. Once I left that relationship my interest was renewed and I found some rather... ummm... interesting ways of healing the damage from the abuse. I really took control of my sexuality and I think the combination of all of those things would make me a good sex therapist. That and I am very non-judgmental about fetishes and fantasies and people seem to feel like they can talk to me about those things (and often do for some reason). I've taken some college courses in sex and the psychology of it and know that it is something I would really have a passion for as a career. I hope you find what you are looking for in that regard, there are some good resources out there! Such a huge percentage of our society struggles with issues relating to sexual health that you can rest assured that you aren't alone!

#13 of 15 Old 02-13-2010, 11:01 PM

reading about your horse and the baby pics of you and your kids with her gave me warm fuzzies!

I agree, sounds like a very full and interesting life! Cool that you go after your interests and try out all these things that interest you!

have you lived anywhere besides CT?
#14 of 15 Old 02-14-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awaken View Post
reading about your horse and the baby pics of you and your kids with her gave me warm fuzzies!

I agree, sounds like a very full and interesting life! Cool that you go after your interests and try out all these things that interest you!

have you lived anywhere besides CT?
Awww, thanks mama!

Yes, I lived in Delaware for a year when ex-H and I first got married. I was born and raised in CT, though. We moved down there because his family was from NJ and I wanted to attend Interior Design school in Philadelphia. We ended up deciding to have kids, though, and as soon as I found out I was pg I wanted to move back to CT to be with my family. It almost ended our marriage when we moved because he was so angry about it but I couldn't see going through pregnancy, birth and raising babies without my mom. We were actually under contract on a house at the time and we pulled out and moved back up here. My reasoning was that he had moved to CT in the first place (he was transferred for his job) and we met here. It made sense to me (that, and his family is SUPER crazy... as in his dad and brothers have been institutionalized numerous times). After our separation he moved back to NJ and that is where he lives now. He travels up here every other weekend or so for his visitation with the kids.

#15 of 15 Old 02-15-2010, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethanyclaire View Post
Did you like being a psychology major? Did you find it helpful to have double majored in sociology? I was originally going to just major in psychology but I've found that unless you go on to obtain a graduate degree that a bachelors in psychology alone isn't that helpful. I eventually want to go into social work and casework so that's why I chose the double major. Someday I'd like to get my masters and work as a psychology specializing in sex therapy. Someday...
Yes, it is true that having a BA/BS in psychology won't get you very far. Most of the psychology related professions in which require a PhD or a Masters at the very least. I studied psychology and sociology because the subjects fascinate me and the coursework was easy for me. I can't say that the majors really "helped" me after school because I didn't pursue an advanced degree (had every intention until I got married and started working full-time). I had changed my mind about counseling work and considered forensic psychology until I learned you have to do an internship in a prison (no thanks, I'm a wimp). Then I considered Occupational Therapy (which I still want to do), but the graduate coursework for that is full-time and intensive. I ended up working in computer technology after graduation which is a far cry from my line of study in college.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page