Grapefruit seed extract for treating yeast (thrush) infections - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-15-2010, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know many of you on the board have been struggling with thrush. I came across this article and found it really interesting. Dr. Jay Gordon claims that Grapefruit seed extract can knock out a thrush infection in a couple of days. Seems worth a try and is a lot less messy than Gentian Violet.

http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/bf/thrush.asp

Di Linh, mama to DS1 (7), DD(4), DS2 (b 12/01/09)
#2 of 8 Old 02-15-2010, 02:15 PM

I just did it and it worked. I took it orally and put it on my nipples, and we also put it on the baby's diaper rash. It took about 3 days for both to clear up.
#3 of 8 Old 02-15-2010, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I used it in concert with GV. I would be careful with GV in the future though because I put just alittle too much on and it basically "burned" the skin off my nipples and as you can imagine nursing was excruciating for a few days there...

I can't imagine swabbing a baby's mouth with it though. I took it orally and it is REALLY bitter. R at least would be screaming bloody murder if I tried to do that to her, especially every hour! The GV is superior in that regard.

Sounds great for diaper rash though.

mama to Rassa, born 12/9/09
#4 of 8 Old 02-15-2010, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattooed Hand View Post
I used it in concert with GV. I would be careful with GV in the future though because I put just alittle too much on and it basically "burned" the skin off my nipples and as you can imagine nursing was excruciating for a few days there...

I can't imagine swabbing a baby's mouth with it though. I took it orally and it is REALLY bitter. R at least would be screaming bloody murder if I tried to do that to her, especially every hour! The GV is superior in that regard.

Sounds great for diaper rash though.
You dilute the GSE in distilled water. I thought it said only swab the baby's lips and your nipples. To avoid the taste while taking it orally you can use tablets (with no bitter taste).

#5 of 8 Old 02-15-2010, 03:53 PM

You definitely have to dilute it, but even a tiny bit is very bitter. 10 drops with 2oz of orange juice and 6oz of water is just barely drinkable.
#6 of 8 Old 02-15-2010, 04:10 PM

Thanks for reminding me to take it! I keep forgetting it and my probiotics, and I really have to get rid of it somehow with Western medicine failing us.

It's nasty bitter however you dilute it. DH likes to put it in with grapefruit-flavored Emergen-C type stuff, because grapefruit is supposed to be bitter and the Emergen-C isn't. I discovered that if you really want to cover up the taste, you can mix Emergen-C in with OJ and you can't taste the GSE...but I'd rather deal with bitter than SUPER sweet.

Cloud, mommy to her happy little Nimbus, born 11/09!
#7 of 8 Old 02-15-2010, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

So are you guys consuming the liquid form? A friend told me that Grapefruit seed extract comes in tablet form that can be swallowed without any bitterness.

Like these: http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/e...ci_sku=VS-2228

#8 of 8 Old 02-15-2010, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I got it in liquid form because I wanted to use it to wash everything with and also to apply it on my nips. It's pretty pricey and I didn't want to get tablets on top of it, esp since I wasn't sure it would work. I actually started to like the taste. It's a good alternative to coffee in the morning because it is so nasty and bitter that it really wakes you up!

Between the GSE, GV and probiotic, we are thrush free, even though we had it 4 weeks before we realized it.

mama to Rassa, born 12/9/09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page