Showering w/baby?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 02-16-2010, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
...has anyone done this?? I was reading about wraps and on the website for mine, a gauze one by GypsyMama, and I read that you can wear the baby in the shower with you. Just wondering if anyone has any experience w/this? I might be crazy enough to try it!!

If you want to sound wise, go to school. If you want to be wise, go to nature.
My 3 sons! 8/92, 1/97 & 12/09!!
#2 of 13 Old 02-16-2010, 03:55 PM

I've showered a few times with this LO. She loved it. I just held her (no wrap or anything). You have to be extra careful because they are so slippery. I don't think I'd be able to shave but it was good for the basics

I've always resisted the idea of showering w/ a babe because I figured it was my only "me" time. Now w/ 4 kids I give up on that idea You do what you have to do!

Homeschooling mama of four fantastic kids and wife to one great guy.
#3 of 13 Old 02-16-2010, 05:56 PM

Although I haven't showered with this lo, I've done it in the past. I find it easy and fun. I usually don't do it while they are tiny but when I can hold them to wash then set them down (even in a bath ring seat thing) and wash myself it's a great time/water saver!

Mandy, Jesus loving, homebirthing, cloth diapering, baby wearing, breastfeeding, non-vaxing, food growing, homeschooling, hippy mama of 4.
#4 of 13 Old 02-16-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmandy View Post
Although I haven't showered with this lo, I've done it in the past. I find it easy and fun. I usually don't do it while they are tiny but when I can hold them to wash then set them down (even in a bath ring seat thing) and wash myself it's a great time/water saver!

I'm in the 'shower time is me time,' but occasionally I'll shower with babe. I haven't showered with Nico yet, but have passed him in to have a quick shower with DH. He likes the sound of the shower, so I'll put him in the bathroom in his little chair and talk with him while I'm taking a quick shower... but when he sits independently I'll bring him on it.

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

#5 of 13 Old 02-16-2010, 07:45 PM

I've showered with my older two kids on occasion using a solarveil ring sling. I had another kind of mesh sling with DS1, but I can't remember the brand. I prefer the solarveil material because it doesn't soak in the water or get heavy.

Di Linh, mama to DS1 (7), DD(4), DS2 (b 12/01/09)
#6 of 13 Old 02-16-2010, 09:29 PM

I shower with DS every night. Actually, DP and I usually shower together with him. We have been showering together every night since we first starting living together and it is one of our favorite things.

Generally, I don't like to bathe or shower babies every day because their skin is so delicate but DS just won't calm down at night without a shower. He is a real water baby! I think he got used to the noise every night while I was pg and from the time he was born he would settle down as soon as he heard the shower. After his cord fell off I started bringing him in a few nights a week. I noticed he slept a lot better and fell asleep a lot faster when he showered before bed. Now it is a nightly ritual. Actually, that is exactly where I'm headed after I finish this post...

I also have a mesh solarveil ring sling but I'm finding that I like to just hold him in the shower. I liked the sling with DD in the shower though and I LOVE it at the pool or beach. When I shower alone with DS the sling is good, though, because then I can wash my hair. If DP and I shower together then we just hand him off to wash up.

Beth )O( Homeschooling Mama to blahblah.gif DS (7) luxlove.gif DD (5) and sleepytime.gif DS (1) & #4 on the way in October!!! love.gif
 homebirth.jpgecbaby2.giffemalesling.GIFbf.jpgsewmachine.gifrainbow1284.gifnovaxnoIRC.gifphotosmile2.gif

#7 of 13 Old 02-17-2010, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

I did it! I got my hair washed and rinsed out bodies all while wearing him in a front cross carry, yay! While I totally agree that showering is me/mommy time and don't want to take that away, I desperately needed a shower - so to know I can confidently do it together with baby makes me feel a little more in power and under control.

#8 of 13 Old 02-17-2010, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
OK, this is going to sound really ignorant, but what can I say, I am such an amateur... aren't you suppose to keep water from going into their ears? How can you do that in the shower? Also, how do you soap up or wash your hair when they are in the shower with you? doesn't the soap get in their eyes?

I'd love to shower with R because we can get the sink clear of dishes more than twice a week and I feel bad only bathing her that often. Now you know my dirty little secret...

mama to Rassa, born 12/9/09
#9 of 13 Old 02-17-2010, 03:09 PM

Levi has had less then 1 bath a week.

Mandy, Jesus loving, homebirthing, cloth diapering, baby wearing, breastfeeding, non-vaxing, food growing, homeschooling, hippy mama of 4.
#10 of 13 Old 02-17-2010, 03:21 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Yep. That's how he gets clean. He's only had one bath about 6 weeks ago. I love bringing him in with me. The Tummy Tub is in storage.

Aeona - married to super hot nerd Toby . . . mama to Grace (9) Evangeline (7) Duncan 11.14.08   and Henry (4) born at home. Expecting again early December!  

#11 of 13 Old 02-17-2010, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

ha, I've yet to give Finn a real bath... Aside from our shower experience yesterday, he gets sponged/washclothed every other day.

TatooedHand, I didn't soap us up, though I think I could have easily. I did wash my hair by just tipping my head way back so no soap went down my front. Also, the baby's ears were never sitting in water, just getting wet with splash, so no water got inside. I did lean him into the water spray a few times and I think he liked having me with him since he tends to do that fear-of-falling thing with his arms when unclothed and startled.

#12 of 13 Old 02-17-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmandy View Post
Levi has had less then 1 bath a week.
Mine too! He just doesn't get that dirty, and always smells nicely of baby. We spot-clean his top and bottom ends as needed, and use olive oil on his head when the skin is flaky. He does seem to love the few baths he's had (with me in the tub, no soap), but I worry about drying out his skin if we bathe too often. I bet he gets a bath every 10 days.
#13 of 13 Old 02-17-2010, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
OK, so I am not totally ignorant or neglegent. Phew...

We've been bathing him in the sink (our hot water heater is too small to fill up our tub) once or twice a week. We put some olive oil in the water and that seems to work well with moisturizer. We have yet to use a cleaning product on her.

mama to Rassa, born 12/9/09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page