Weekly Ramble/Chat for February 22-March 1 - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 58 Old 02-24-2010, 08:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

cloud, I put my hands behind his feet so he can push off of them and move. I'd love to hear your game.

awaken,

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

#32 of 58 Old 02-24-2010, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmel23 View Post
cloud, I put my hands behind his feet so he can push off of them and move. I'd love to hear your game.
That's how mine started. Now it involves a Swaddlebees changing pad (slippery bottom, fleecy top) with a burp cloth laid crosswise at one end (for his hands so they don't get dirty) and our wooden floors so that he can push himself far and fast. ;-) That's about all the game is, haha. I supposed I could've hunt and pecked that. But two hands are easier.

Cloud, mommy to her happy little Nimbus, born 11/09!
#33 of 58 Old 02-25-2010, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudbutterfly View Post
nak

I'm trying to speak in japanese to nimbus. But I need to brush up..."do you want to drink mommy? Of course you want to drink mommy!"
This is cracking me up!!

Mandy, Jesus loving, homebirthing, cloth diapering, baby wearing, breastfeeding, non-vaxing, food growing, homeschooling, hippy mama of 4.
#34 of 58 Old 02-25-2010, 12:50 AM

Name: Orin

Baby's age: 11.5 weeks

Milestones/Updates: He's basically rolling from his back to his tummy now. He loves grabbing things. He's getting fairly good at holding his head up and looking around...still a little wobbly. I have to keep remembering that he will do things at his own pace and not when other babies are. He's 12 lbs now lol. Still small but LONG. My goodness he might be tall. He is almost 25inches long.

Wonderful news.....we have been working on EC (I didn't even think I could do it) and he has now gone pee 4 times in the toilet and poop twice!!!! I saved myself 2 poopy diapers!!!! I am sooooo proud of the both of us. I don't think any of my friends believe me except for the ones that do it themselves lol.

Thoughts: Tomorrow I have a 'date' with MIL.....I have been dreading this for a week. She wanted to come to my mamas group but I told her no. That's the only time in a week that I get to be with cool people and I don't want to lose that. So after the mamas group I get to meet her for lunch. I still think the only reason she wants to 'meet' is so she can hold the baby some more. I'm going to be wearing him but I just don't want to deal with the "Well why can't I hold him?", "I hardly ever get to see him", "We are going through withdrawl from not getting to see him"....like it's our responsibility that they have a life. They need to get out and do things and not rely on us for their entertainment. It's all about them all the time.

Other than IL's I'm still doing really well. I'm starting an etsy shop and I'm so excited. I'm not expecting to make a fortune, just hope to support my art/craft addiction lol. DH says I spend too much at Joanns haha.

knit.gifsewmachine.gifintactivist.giftreehugger.gif mama to one DS and one DD, equally amazing.

#35 of 58 Old 02-25-2010, 11:11 AM

Sara: Yup, each baby is different. When they are 4-5 years old, it won't matter at all who crawled, sat up, talked or walked first. LOL Yay on the EC success! Good luck with MIL and starting your own Etsy shop! As for MIL saying she doesn't get to hold DS enough, let her know that since they live close by, they hold him plenty compared to other grandparents. My MIL got to hold Everett for a total of 1 hour since he's been born. My parents haven't even met him and probably won't for a long time. Don't let her intimidate you or make you feel bad. I find the easiest thing to do with people like that is to continue to smile and nod no matter what they say. Tune them out and only hear what you want to hear. If he is in the sling and she asks to hold him just say, "I think he's comfortable where he is." Repeat as necessary. I think once she realizes you will no longer bow down to her, she will back off. It may get ugly for awhile, but if you stay firm you will eventually win. Afterall, you are in control of what she wants most - her son and her grandson.

Carmel & Awaken: I hear ya! Everett is getting better about being in the car, but we still deal with a lot of carseat crying. Evie has stopped yelling about the baby crying, but it doesn't help that both kids keep reminding me how sad Everett looks while I'm trying to rush home.

Cloud: That's hilarious! How fun.

Di Linh, mama to DS1 (7), DD(4), DS2 (b 12/01/09)
#36 of 58 Old 02-25-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evinmom View Post
Everett has been trying to sit up since last week.
*squee*!! What an adorable little man... what a SERIOUS look he has!!

Quote:
I just found out that all the milk in my freezer that I've been pumping for donation/future use (did you know you can make yogurt out of your breast milk?? talk about a great first solid!!) has to be thrown abaw b/c of the thrush. It's almost 100 oz
Could you heat it up and take a bath?! I've heard Breastmilk is the BEST for bathing in.... haven't tried it yet though.

Living Angel Baby Born 12/21/09
Three angels watching over us.
#37 of 58 Old 02-25-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudbutterfly View Post
That's how mine started. Now it involves a Swaddlebees changing pad (slippery bottom, fleecy top) with a burp cloth laid crosswise at one end (for his hands so they don't get dirty) and our wooden floors so that he can push himself far and fast. ;-) That's about all the game is, haha. I supposed I could've hunt and pecked that. But two hands are easier.

omg, that is the cutest thing I've heard all day... that just makes me smile. Does he totally crack up??

#38 of 58 Old 02-25-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doclegs View Post

Could you heat it up and take a bath?! I've heard Breastmilk is the BEST for bathing in.... haven't tried it yet though.
Maybe, would I get a yeast infection? Hmmm...I'm not sure if it's worth the risk. Even though it has been strangly fun painting my nips purple (gentian violet) I'm not sure I'd want a matching hoohaw.

I read in the Ultimate Breastfeeding Answer Book(or something close to that) that it should be okay...idk...I'm still looking for some hope of keeping it.

Mandy, Jesus loving, homebirthing, cloth diapering, baby wearing, breastfeeding, non-vaxing, food growing, homeschooling, hippy mama of 4.
#39 of 58 Old 02-25-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmandy View Post
Maybe, would I get a yeast infection? Hmmm...I'm not sure if it's worth the risk. Even though it has been strangly fun painting my nips purple (gentian violet) I'm not sure I'd want a matching hoohaw.

I read in the Ultimate Breastfeeding Answer Book(or something close to that) that it should be okay...idk...I'm still looking for some hope of keeping it.
There are mixed opinions on whether you need to dump the milk pumped during a thrush outbreak. I wouldn't donate it, but I personally would give my own healthy baby this milk. Here is a good link for you which presents the different thoughts:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...ssed-milk.html

Heating the milk will kill the yeast.

#40 of 58 Old 02-25-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doclegs View Post
*squee*!! What an adorable little man... what a SERIOUS look he has!!
Well he is a Sagittarius. Sag boys are supposed to be "earnest." LOL

#41 of 58 Old 02-25-2010, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mandy, you're an experienced mom and I am sure you know this, but be careful not to apply too much GV in one go. I did and it literally burned off a layer of nipple skin, which peeled off and it was SO painful to nurse with raw nipples that took 2-3 days to heal.

Sara, Di Linh's advice about the MIL sounds very sage; firm yet diplomatic.

Mana/Rassa (11 weeks yesterday - holy cow!)

After 2 days of hell, I have just triumphed over 2 plugged ducts! I would like to take this opportunity to thank Rassa for her suction and my husband for waiting on me the last 24 hours.

Phew!

Seriously, that was so stressful. DH and R are sleeping in the best beside me, worn out from their efforts. I rescheduled my class tomorrow so I can relax the rest of today and tomorrow and deal with my Sunday and Monday deadlines well rested (or as well rested as someone who sleeps in 1-3 hour blocks can be). I got 2 naps yesterday and I feel amazing.

R is well, wanting to stand all the time (she'll settle for sitting sometimes), acting crazy, probably because she is aware of the world around her in a whole new way. No longer sleeps in the Moby the minute I put her in but prairie dogs and strains to look around. I have been doing front carries in the ring sling (which we both feel ambivalent about still) and the Moby. We still need to try wheat, soy and dairy to see if she has a reaction. Eggs and nuts are a no go.

I was suppose to be all done with deadlines by Monday but now that's pushed to Wednesday. These plugged ducts (which took me almost 3 days to clear up) were a wake up call for me that I am way overtaxed. So it's just as well that I'm doing things in more time.

My back and neck are killing me, my pubic bone and area still feel tender if I move or stretch in certain ways and my stomach muscles haven't grown back together yet. How are you ladies doing physically?

My thoughts are of relief, though if you had talked to me at 2am, they were about how I was going to lose my mind.

mama to Rassa, born 12/9/09
#42 of 58 Old 02-25-2010, 07:33 PM

We had Chubby Puppy's two month appointment today. The ped told me he was gaining too much too fast. He is 9 weeks, 3 days. Weights 16 pounds 3 ounces and is 23.23 inches long. In a month he has gained 4 pounds 4 ounces- the ped wants a gain of about 2 pounds a month. *sigh* He said I only need to nurse him about every 4 hours. I explained I nursed on demand and he just said I needed to cut back. This is the same guy that wanted me to put him on cereal at two weeks old. I have already started looking for a new ped.

Today we had our vaccinations. I am vaxing on schedule. He is feeling cranky and miserable today, but a nurse friend warned me that would most likely happen. Poor buddy. I cried when they gave him his shots.

Otherwise, things are excellent with us. He loves Jack Johnson. When I put in his music, CP just coos and talks. It's adorable. I was trying to get him to fall in love with Jenny Lewis, but he's just not that into it.

Tattoed Hand: Physically, it depends on the day. I have been in a few car accidents and my back was kind of messed up. Being pregnant knocked me out of alignment...or something. I know sometimes I can pick up CP at a certain angle and have a shooting pain through my entire back. Also, because I had a c-section, there are times when I have little aches and pulls inside my abdomen. My OB said those can last up to 6 months!! Yucky.

Carmel23: I love that sleeper!

How do ya'll do tummy time? When I put my guy down, he just puts his face into his mat and rubs his nose on it. He has absolutely no interest in looking up towards me or toys or anything. His head control seems strong when I am carrying him around.
#43 of 58 Old 02-25-2010, 08:16 PM

Gimme Pineapple: ugh, your ped is lame! Good for you for looking for someone else.

Getting H. his first round of shots made me sad, too. We're such generic first-time parents: his dad panicked and called his pediatrician sister, because H's response to the shots was to go to sleep. (He was fine by evening.)

Tattooed Hand: H. has become an inveterate craner when worn facing in. It's terrible. No matter how snugly he's wrapped, he just cranes his neck and leans back to see what's going on (or to see your face, which is cute, but no less hard to handle).

I bought a ring sling to see if he would tolerate it (after growing to hate his pouch) and... he will, but really only when sitting facing out, sigh. Facing in, he gets his little monkey toes into your waistline and tries to STAND UP. Which is so safe.

So he's been spending a lot of his time in the stretchy wrap, facing out. I'll face him in for as long as he'll stand it, but it's getting really old. I think he's still a bit too short/young to properly straddle you, but when he is, I'm hopeful that moving him to our backs will help with this? (This may be naive and wishful thinking.)

As an aside: I notice that we're now the second-to-last DDC standing! I guess we'll be getting the "DDC closing" notice any day now. I'm not ready!

Science-loving mama to one little guy (11/09).
#44 of 58 Old 02-25-2010, 09:12 PM

I missed my mommy meeting today. I'm not sure how it's possible to sleep through the start of a 10 am meeting when the baby started terrorizing his palms and fingers off and on next to me in his cosleeper at 7 am, but I managed it. I didn't want to wake him all the way up, and he didn't wake himself all the way up until 10:30, so I kept dozing when he'd fall back asleep and suddenly an hour would've gone by.

I was really looking forward to it, too! I got an order of nursing tops yesterday, so I would've even had something to wear.

Nimbus is suddenly super grabby...it's so fun to watch him progress in his ability to manipulate toys over just a few minutes of playtime. I show him that he can grab something, and then he starts trying to grab for it, and suddenly it's getting into his hand pretty consistently in the blink of an eye. He also full out laughed for the first time the other night...he's laughed in that "ah!!! ah!!! ah!!!" sort of way before, but this was a true belly laugh ending in a hilarious squeak. What was so funny? Mommy's face. I wasn't even making a silly face...I just looked him in the eye while we were switching sides!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmel23 View Post
omg, that is the cutest thing I've heard all day... that just makes me smile. Does he totally crack up??
Nope, he makes these "iron man" grunts as I call them. They get increasingly loud, and I used to think he was getting upset, but he's just trying REALLY hard. The first few times I heard them, it reminded me of trying to push him out!

I'm trying to upload a video...I'll PM you the link if it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattooed Hand View Post
My back and neck are killing me, my pubic bone and area still feel tender if I move or stretch in certain ways and my stomach muscles haven't grown back together yet. How are you ladies doing physically?
At 13 weeks, I'm just now able to do without Advil three times a day. My back has been killing me, so I'm trying to learn how to lift him more ergonomically. I thought I was doing well, but no. 15 crunches was my limit the other day. And my wrists hurt a lot every morning from holding up my gigantic breasts for him...this has been better since I learned to roll my shoulder back consciously, but I still get surprised with pain every morning until I get my joints moving.

#45 of 58 Old 02-25-2010, 11:09 PM

Thanks for the link Di Lihn, that was very helpful I was gettig conflicting information from reputible sources so I was confused.

Mana, I have never dealt with thrush before, GV is brand new to me...I actually never had a yeast infestion before this pregnancy. I just did what the Ultimate Breastfeeding book said and it was fine. I'm so sorry to hear how badly it went for you...as if yeast weren't enough, right?

#46 of 58 Old 02-26-2010, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme Pineapple View Post

Otherwise, things are excellent with us. He loves Jack Johnson. When I put in his music, CP just coos and talks. It's adorable. I was trying to get him to fall in love with Jenny Lewis, but he's just not that into it.

[

Carmel23: I love that sleeper!

How do ya'll do tummy time? When I put my guy down, he just puts his face into his mat and rubs his nose on it. He has absolutely no interest in looking up towards me or toys or anything. His head control seems strong when I am carrying him around.
how funny, I just put on jack johnson on lala, and Nico has the biggest grin. He loves when his daddy plays guitar for him, and loves music, too.

I love Jenny Lewis, too

Tummy time, yeah... just put him down, even if he doesn't look like he is doing anything... even a minute of his tummy is good. I sometimes lie on my tummy in front of him and talk and sing, and he'll look up.

thanks, I love the little suit, too. most of his clothes are handmedowns, but that is the one little thing I got my baby

Physically I feel pretty damn good! I still don't fit all my pants, but I think my hips might still be widened... or whatever it is called I'd like to do some running, but need a jogging stoller for 2. I've seen some good ones on craigslist, though...

My middle is still bigger then I like, and my Abdominal separation/diastasis recti sucks but I'm hoping to attack it with pilates.

#47 of 58 Old 02-26-2010, 02:20 PM

Carmel: My kids love Jack Johnson too!

Mana: So glad to hear the plugged ducts are gone! Stress will certainly contribute. I hope things settle down a bit for you. My neck and back are killing me from wearing Everett all day. 15.5 lbs gets heavy after awhile. LOL My hip/pelvis started feeling better a few weeks ago.

Gimme Pineapple: Your ped sounds like a moron. Good for you finding a new one!

Cloud: That video of Nimbus is so stinkin cute! I thought of doing something like that. but knowing Everett, he'll probably hit his chin on the wood floor and hurt himself.

lalemma: Everett would stand himself up in a sling too. That is why weeks ago I started having him legs out. He's big enough to straddle me now so it works better. We also do a back carry from time to time, but I can't get him high enough yet to look over my shoulder. He is not too fond of just seeing my back/neck.

#48 of 58 Old 02-27-2010, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme Pineapple View Post
Nimbus does that sometimes during tummy...I think it's because he's hungry or because his nose itches from being dry...I didn't realize it was dry until the ped told me to try putting some goop on it to see if he stopped rubbing his nose all the time (with his hand) and it worked, so I guess his skin really was dry.

I just put him on his tummy in his crib or on a blanket on the floor and let him wiggle or rest for as long as he's happy. I'll let him grunt quite a bit, but pull him up as soon as the grunts start to sound like they're headed towards a cry. You might try doing his tummy time on your tummy...that's how we started out, now that I think about it. Nimbus liked that better at first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evinmom View Post
Cloud: That video of Nimbus is so stinkin cute! I thought of doing something like that. but knowing Everett, he'll probably hit his chin on the wood floor and hurt himself.
Yeah, I have to continuously reposition Nimbus to keep him in the center so he doesn't bonk his forehead or get his hands all over the questionably clean floor.

#49 of 58 Old 02-27-2010, 03:32 AM

Name: Annika

Milestones/Updates: Annika has started grabbing at the toy bar when she's in her bouncer and trying to pull herself into a more upright postion, either that or pull the toys towards her, but since the toys aren't budging, she ends up moving forward. She's not rolling over either way yet but she doesn't spend a huge amount of time on her back or on her front. She doesn't like tummy time and much prefers to be upright over any other position. I can hold her sitting in my lap and she's very stable now, which makes holding her a lot easier since I can now do it with one hand free.

Thoughts: I can't believe that next month our DDC will be at the top and then after that it will disappear. We need to figure out a way to all keep in touch. Facebook? Are we allowed to start an off-site board?

: Mom to DS (10/29/07) and DD (12/1/09). Visit my blog in my profile to read about our lives in Beijing!
#50 of 58 Old 02-27-2010, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

nak

some people have ddc thread in the life w/a babe forum.

#51 of 58 Old 02-27-2010, 11:03 AM

I just saw that this am too! And...am amazed that a november 2010 ddc has come up. Are we really that far along already?!

If you want to sound wise, go to school. If you want to be wise, go to nature.
My 3 sons! 8/92, 1/97 & 12/09!!
#52 of 58 Old 02-27-2010, 03:37 PM

when my dd's ddc moved to life w/ a bebe it really fizzled... it just doesn't seem as private as here, yk? (wow, i'm getting good at one hand typing )

facebook would be cool, and i have some folks on fb, but pm me , because i know i don't have everyone....

#53 of 58 Old 02-28-2010, 05:57 PM

My Nov. '05 thread in LWAB only this past fall starting fizzling out- we've been going strong for 4 years.

I also have a yahoogroup for both my Dec. 02 and Nov. 05 groups- both were going strong until the past couple months, when Facebook took over.

If anyone wants to be in a yahoogroup, I'm happy to do it. Or maybe that's old fashioned nowadays!!!

No matter what we do, I still want to maintain our presence here on MDC as long as we can, even if we're just a thread, instead of a forum!

I need to friend more of you on facebook. Although I don't want to post my info here.
#54 of 58 Old 02-28-2010, 07:39 PM

Yeah, I just bit the bullet and reactivated my fb account after almost a year off... I am lonley and one handed (nak) so often during the day so why not?? I mean, bubble town has its fun moments, but not really.

If you want to sound wise, go to school. If you want to be wise, go to nature.
My 3 sons! 8/92, 1/97 & 12/09!!
#55 of 58 Old 02-28-2010, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

I have some of you on facebook, but truth be told, I've forgotten who on fb corresponds to who on MDC...I'd be open to a fb group or an MDC thread, either way.

#56 of 58 Old 02-28-2010, 10:44 PM

nak

Well, I think we've caught the crud. Baby boy is has rattled breathing- sounds all congested in his chest. I have a headache that feels like my skull is splitting, along with sniffles and sore throat. We've both been sleeping all afternoon.

I knew I shouldn't have left the house til cold and flu season was over. *grumble grumble*
#57 of 58 Old 02-28-2010, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattooed Hand View Post
I have some of you on facebook, but truth be told, I've forgotten who on fb corresponds to who on MDC...I'd be open to a fb group or an MDC thread, either way.
Haha yeah me too.

With fb we can create a private group that only members of the group can see. One of us can create it and make a thread in the discussion section for all our MDC 'names' lol. But yeah, that way we can still talk about stuff we wouldn't want anyone else to see. I think it would be really good.

knit.gifsewmachine.gifintactivist.giftreehugger.gif mama to one DS and one DD, equally amazing.

#58 of 58 Old 03-01-2010, 06:10 PM

thelocaldialect created a really cool board for us to move to. If interested please PM her or me for the address.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page