catnaps - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-25-2010, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ds is such a cat napper! He is still acting like a newborn... he's awake for an hour tops and then out for about 40 mins and repeats that all day. By evening he's a grumpy mess because he didn't get enough sleep during the day.

He still naps in the moby but I can occasionally put him down but he's usually awake within 20 mins.

Tell me about how your lo's are napping.

mumma to sweet 7 year old girl
and darling 2 year old guy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2010, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

I just have to add how frustrating it is to have to wake ds up from his naps to go pick dd up from school etc. Poor little siblings!

Old 02-25-2010, 08:39 PM

This is another thing that depends on the day with us. Some days there are catnaps all day. Sometimes it feels like he has slept the entire day, only waking to nurse. And very very rarely, he will stay awake ALL DAY and be a miserable exhausted grump by evening.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
R is like this some days too. On those days I find that if I get in bed with her and nurse her down in a dimmer room, read something (alot of my job requires reading) or take a nap or just wait until she falls asleep (she'll usually crash hard because I only resort to this by afternoon), she'll tend to sleep longer, like 2 hours. Some days I even manage to slip away for 30-45 minutes at the end to do somethings! I also have a laptop that I take in the bed with me. It's kind of restricting to be stuck in bed with her but if you have stuff you can do or have time for a nap, it makes all the difference for how cranky she is in the evening and how much easier she goes to sleep then.

mama to Rassa, born 12/9/09
Old 02-26-2010, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattooed Hand View Post
R is like this some days too. On those days I find that if I get in bed with her and nurse her down in a dimmer room, read something (alot of my job requires reading) or take a nap or just wait until she falls asleep (she'll usually crash hard because I only resort to this by afternoon), she'll tend to sleep longer, like 2 hours. Some days I even manage to slip away for 30-45 minutes at the end to do somethings! I also have a laptop that I take in the bed with me. It's kind of restricting to be stuck in bed with her but if you have stuff you can do or have time for a nap, it makes all the difference for how cranky she is in the evening and how much easier she goes to sleep then.
This is exactly what I used to do with my dd. It used to work great!

I'm at a loss as to what to do with a second sibling who has a busy almost 5 year old older sister. Today was crazy, an appt for ds this morning, home for 1/2 hr and then time to pick up dd from school. Home for one hour and then a birthday party for dd to go to. Poor ds didn't get a nap longer than 20 mins without me waking him up. Even when we're at home all day, big sis usually wakes him up. Maybe that's why when we have the few quiet times at home ds still wakes after 30 minutes... he's not used to the quiet?

Old 02-26-2010, 03:00 PM

Everett catnaps all day. He's awake for feedings, potty and a few minutes of interaction. Then he falls asleep in the sling. He will sleep anywhere from 20 min-1.5 hour at a time. He goes to bed now at 8:30pm and wakes up every 3-4 hours until around 4-5am when he's up every hour til we get out of bed around 7am. He doesn't seem cranky from lack of sleep. He's usually just fussy when trying to fall asleep and irritable lately because of itchy eczema and reflux.

It does mess with "naptime" when you have things to do. It's hard being a younger sibling. Although Everett doesn't seem to mind much. If he wakes upon going into the carseat (which we keep in the house before going out), he'll fall asleep again in the sling when we get to our destination.

Di Linh, mama to DS1 (7), DD(4), DS2 (b 12/01/09)
Old 02-26-2010, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wow, it's like you have to relearn how to do everything with the second or subsequent kid!

mama to Rassa, born 12/9/09
Old 02-26-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattooed Hand View Post
Wow, it's like you have to relearn how to do everything with the second or subsequent kid!
You sure do. I remember when Gavin was a toddler, DH and I thought we had the parenting thing down. Then Evie was born and she completely threw us for a loop. She is nothing like Gavin. She was and continues to be more challenging in many ways and made Gavin look like an easy child in comparison (which he wasn't). Even with the same child, parenting is an ever revolving job. They change so much so fast.

Di Linh, mama to DS1 (7), DD(4), DS2 (b 12/01/09)
Old 02-26-2010, 04:28 PM

Right now we have a post-morning nursing catnap, then hopefully a 2-hour nap from 10-12, then an early-afternoon catnap (45 min or so) after nursing, and then a late-afternoon nap (another 1 1/2 to 2 hours), and then we start getting her ready for bed around 7pm and usually she's out between 7:30 and 8pm.

Although if she doesn't get her morning nap, the rest of the day is entirely shot.

Living Angel Baby Born 12/21/09
Three angels watching over us.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:20 PM

There really is no routine in my day - every day is different! When the baby was about two weeks old he used to take a 2 hour nap between 12-2, but that is long gone. Catering to the rest of the family's schedule has the most to do with this though... Right now he naps longer if I am napping with him but then nothing gets done. He goes to bed aroung midnight and sleeps until 5ish to eat then goes back down for two hours to eat again and if I have not had to drive DS2 to the bus or drop off something for DS1 or husband then he goes down for about 2 more hours. Today was a snowday so no one had to go anywhere and he finally woke up at 10am!
Dunno if I can complain about his lack of napping during the day.

If you want to sound wise, go to school. If you want to be wise, go to nature.
My 3 sons! 8/92, 1/97 & 12/09!!
Old 02-27-2010, 03:26 PM

For a long time, Nimbus would mostly sleep for 12 hours, just waking up to eat a few times after his first and longest stretch of sleep, and then mostly stay awake/nurse for 8-9 hours, just taking 10 minute catnaps after each feeding. As the evening went on, he'd get really ferocious at the breast. Now he seems to be organizing his sleep into longer naps--putting him in the swing around 4 pm usually brings on a 2-3 1/2 hour nap and better sleep later now, and for awhile there he was napping/going to "bed" on his nursing pillow for 2-3 hours at 8 or 9 pm when I wasn't expecting him to sleep longer than 10 minutes--though he's been getting antsy while nursing on several evenings, arching back and complaining even though he obviously wants to nurse. It's been better since I've learned that there's no point in strongly encouraging him to latch on...he just arches back more and gets more upset. If I could get him to sleep for longer than 10 minutes by rocking him or something, he'd usually do better after that, but often go back to being unhappy/conflicted after the first side after a nap. He's been better this week...just backing off and then gently bringing him back by orienting him so my nipple is near his face without having to pull him to me usually works, and he's had a few evenings where he hasn't done that at all...such a relief. It's soooooo frustrating when

Cloud, mommy to her happy little Nimbus, born 11/09!

User Tag List