#1 of 45 Old 03-02-2010, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Name:

DDC Baby's Age:

Updates/Milestones:

Thoughts:

Di Linh, mama to DS1 (7), DD(4), DS2 (b 12/01/09)
#2 of 45 Old 03-02-2010, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Name: Di Linh & Everett

DDC Baby's Age: 3 months!

Updates/Milestones: Everett loves to talk, laugh, stand, and sit up. We have discovered through elimination diet that Everett is allergic to pretty much all the major allergens - soy, dairy, eggs, wheat, corn, tree nuts, and we are a peanut-free household anyway.

Thoughts: The last couple of weeks have been challenging due to the allergies. I'm so tired. I've fallen into a major food rut and I feel a big cry coming on.

#3 of 45 Old 03-02-2010, 02:34 PM

Name: Ruby and baby girl

DDC Baby's Age: 11 weeks today!

Updates/Milestones: holding on to her rattle for a long time this week, following things with her eyes, wants to lift her head up off my chest at all times (warning:this can result in a bloody lip and/or crying baby when her control suddenly lapses!).

Thoughts: I love this little girl!! She is so much fun. DH and I pictured and talked a lot about when dd would be older while I was pregnant, but I never really imagined this stage. But it's better than I would have imagined! People keep telling us we're lucky and to watch out next time, but I prefer to assume that all of our children will be this enjoyable and...I hesitate to say "easy," but YKWIM.

We made it through my first week back to work and I think we're going to be okay. Dd loves to eat no matter where the milk comes from, so a bottle was no problem. Pumping is going GREAT despite all of my nervousness about it. And I'm tableing the guilt until I've been at work for two months. At that point, I'm going to reassess and see if I'm still okay with working 40 hours a week.

We made the switch to cloth diapers about a month ago and LOVE them. Dd tolerates her sling and we're getting much more used to using it. We broke out the Moby again this weekend and tried a forward-facing position, which was just okay. Hopefully we'll get better at it!

I'm getting better at BFing in public. I went out into the hall to sit in a big chair at a wedding reception this weekend, and I swear a woman that had just been admiring dd inside walked by us and said, "oh gross" to her husband. Lovely. I wasn't deterred, just annoyed.
#4 of 45 Old 03-02-2010, 03:07 PM

Ruby, what that woman said is terrible. I think the same thing when I see someone formula feeding but I'd never say anything...you never know somwone's circumstances. Ugh. Good for you for nursing in public. That's the best way to get society to see that it's normal. (sorry for my soap box moment)

Oh and no one wold ever call Levi "easy" but he's very enjoyable. I think it's a mindset, I definately didn't enjoy this stage with all my others even though they were WAY easier!

Mandy and Levi

Levi will be 10 weeks on Thursday! Ahh! Where has the time gone!!

Levi is getting good at using his hands. He loves to smile at us and I love it SO SO much! He's figured out that if he smiles at us in the middle of the night, we're much happier. Smart guy.

My MIL is so passive aggressive. I swear, they must take a MIL class on how to annoy the DIL. We are good friends and have talked to eachother almost every day for the past 10+ years. She knows I'm a little different and mostly accepts it. Mostly. Her latest issue is us not circ'ing. She just gets quiet with me, talks about me to other family members and then talks to DH when I'm not around. I shouldn't be surprised. This happened with BFing, homeschooling (still happens b/c of that, actually) homebirthing, baby wearing, cosleeping, nonvaxing...

Besides not circ'ing, she's on my case because DH's grandmother hasn't seen the baby yet. I keep telling her it's not my responcibility. Grandmommy is out and about every day, often very close to my house. If she wants to see the baby, she can, anytime. But because I haven't rearranged my schedule and taken 4 kids out in the freezing cold so she can hold the baby for 5 minutes, I'm a bad person.

Sorry, I didn't even realize I needed to vent. Thanks for reading.

Mandy, Jesus loving, homebirthing, cloth diapering, baby wearing, breastfeeding, non-vaxing, food growing, homeschooling, hippy mama of 4.
#5 of 45 Old 03-02-2010, 05:46 PM

More later, but nursing strike+almost nine hours of sleep straight in a night+me being too tired to put the effort into pumping because I kept thinking he'd go back to normal sooner = two (or more) clogged ducts.

Also, making an appointment for the doctor (and having DH take a sick day to take me because I felt so awful last night I didn't want to trust in just the home remedy that worked last time) has had its usual effect and now I'm looking and feeling better.

*sigh*

At least he *is* nursing, and wetting diapers, so he's okay. But now I'm worried about my milk supply. I think I was verging on overabundant lately, but then last night I could barely pump any out of the clogged breast. Also, I have no idea what of the many, many possibilities is causing the strike, because any number of the potential causes fit!

Cloud, mommy to her happy little Nimbus, born 11/09!
#6 of 45 Old 03-02-2010, 07:25 PM

Cloud, my supply went down last week on the boob that had 2 plugged ducts, but as soon as I resolved them, the supply went back to normal. And it took me over 2 days to unplug them. Massaging them in the shower and with hot compresses, especially before nursing really helped. I nursed as much as I could on that side (without neglecting the other side) and when R was done with nursing then I'd pump right after. But she also did not nurse much the day before my ducts plugged up and the first 2 days afterwards. I have no idea why. But I kept trying and she did finally resume and nursed like crazy for the couple days afterwards.

I also slept and rested more than usual and DH took one day off (the third day I had them, when I was getting desperate) to help with R so I could concentrate on unplugging.

These instructions really helped me:

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/T022100.asp

I hope you get unplugged soon!

mama to Rassa, born 12/9/09
#7 of 45 Old 03-02-2010, 07:28 PM

That's really annoying that woman said such a thing, Ruby.

How do you nurse in public? At home, I either use a breast friend pillow or we side lie in the bed. I've nursed a few times in public and used one side of the moby to hold her body and cradled her head in the other arm but it feels awkward, she doesn't get a very good latch and I don't think it's comfortable for either of us. Evinmom recommended one way, but I didn't understand it...

#8 of 45 Old 03-02-2010, 07:32 PM

10 weeks.

I think Im getting hit with PPD the last week or two. Feeling super alone and very overwhelmed. This mothering thing is exhausting- if only because I feel like I am 'on call' 24 hours a day and can never leave/plan/do anything. . .

We're visiting my parents right now, leaving tomorrow.. already trying not to cry about the thought of having to go home to an empty apartment with 20 hour flight between us. Making a OB appointment for when we return, I think I might need some help. .

Linos is doing well, he seems to have discovered his hands today and have spent all morning looking at them.

DS1 Dec 2009 fuzmalesling.gif DZ Twins July 2012 babyboy.gifbabygirl.gif

#9 of 45 Old 03-02-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evinmom View Post
Name:The last couple of weeks have been challenging due to the allergies. I'm so tired. I've fallen into a major food rut and I feel a big cry coming on.
Hang in there, Di Linh! I know it's hard and I know it must be discouraging to have to do this with yet another babe.

I am currently into a rice/beans/salsa/braised tender beef/kale phase.

It also helps that alot of Iranian food doesn't have any of the allergens in it. Of course, the difficulty is that most Iranian dishes require time that I don't have, but I have been slowly doing the prep and then freezing it so that I can eventually get around to making it...I'll post some recipies on the other board.

#10 of 45 Old 03-02-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithappened View Post
10 weeks.

I think Im getting hit with PPD the last week or two. Feeling super alone and very overwhelmed. This mothering thing is exhausting- if only because I feel like I am 'on call' 24 hours a day and can never leave/plan/do anything. . .

We're visiting my parents right now, leaving tomorrow.. already trying not to cry about the thought of having to go home to an empty apartment with 20 hour flight between us. Making a OB appointment for when we return, I think I might need some help. .

Linos is doing well, he seems to have discovered his hands today and have spent all morning looking at them.
Oh, I'm so sorry. Until you get to the Dr. take or increase B and CLO. I've battled depression my whole life and this helps so much.

Mandy, Jesus loving, homebirthing, cloth diapering, baby wearing, breastfeeding, non-vaxing, food growing, homeschooling, hippy mama of 4.
#11 of 45 Old 03-02-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithappened View Post
10 weeks.

I love it when they do that with their hands--they just look at them like they're totally tripping out. So cute.

have a safe flight. And I agree with Mandy on the cod liver oil and vitamin B.

And the motherhood thing does get easier, when they're bigger and not as physically dependent on you. Hang in there!

And that must be hard to be so far away from family. As crazy as my mom is, it is consoling to know I could hop on a plane and see her. I bet they love meeting Linos, though!

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

#12 of 45 Old 03-02-2010, 11:08 PM

thanks guys

I'm going to go get some B's tonight and start taking them asap. . . any specific dosage or type people recommend?

DS1 Dec 2009 fuzmalesling.gif DZ Twins July 2012 babyboy.gifbabygirl.gif

#13 of 45 Old 03-02-2010, 11:34 PM

I take B 100's one a day. If I'm out of those I'll take 2 B complex.

#14 of 45 Old 03-03-2010, 01:01 AM

NIP: I usually wear a t-shirt that I can pull shirt and a hoodie/sweater with buttons in the front (with some barf on the shoulder ), with maybe a tank/camisole I can pull down in the front or a nursing tank so my belly is covered. And then I guess sitting cross-legged is the best way start to get the hang of it. And then Just hold baby facing toward me (obviously). It is easy at this stage because baby will basically nurse and not play/look around. It gets trickier around 5 months when baby wants to lift shirt, etc.

If baby is latched on then I'm totally covered--baby's bottom sits on my leg and I can move the top 1/2 hold him behind the neck/head to keep him attached.

#15 of 45 Old 03-03-2010, 07:26 AM

na(phone)k

The reaction of the doc when I flashed her my clogged boob: "how did you let it get so bad?"

I had a fever, and while it had looked better this morning, a full 3rd of my breast was angry red/hot pink by that time.

So, on antibiotics, diflucan again...I was happy to get a prescription for APNO though.

Nimbus' thrush is already coming back a little...not happy about adding antibiotics to the situation.

*sigh*

Plus this nursing strike thing would be no fun if I was in the best of health and not worried abnout my supply.

I don't think I've felt this discouraged since the first week when we were having so much trouble bfing.

TH -- thanks for the link and advice...and definitely post some recipes!

#16 of 45 Old 03-03-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattooed Hand View Post
That's really annoying that woman said such a thing, Ruby.

How do you nurse in public? At home, I either use a breast friend pillow or we side lie in the bed. I've nursed a few times in public and used one side of the moby to hold her body and cradled her head in the other arm but it feels awkward, she doesn't get a very good latch and I don't think it's comfortable for either of us. Evinmom recommended one way, but I didn't understand it...
I wear a nursing tank top with a cardigan sweater over it. AND a blanket covering dd's entire body except for her feet...really disgusting, I know (SARCASM!!!).The chair had arms so that helped a lot. I just hold the baby in cradle hold...but the latching on part is hard. Her butt has to sit on my lap while she's latching on, then I pick it up with my free hand. Crossing my legs helps get her elevated enough. I have very small breasts that don't move at all, so that may make it easier???

Cloudbutterfly - I had clogged ducts about a month ago and leaning over a bowl of REALLY hot water and fully submerging my breast helped a lot.
#17 of 45 Old 03-03-2010, 03:23 PM

Ithappened, I am totally having a bout of sadness, too. I have been feeling particularly "stuck" the past few days. Like I see my whole life spreading out in front of me, nothing but holding and nursing a baby, no social life, no meaningful work, forever!

(I know that's ridiculous. But some days I really do miss my single-girl, no-babies life.)

H. is working on sitting up. He can hold himself up for a few seconds if you take your hands away. It's very cute, but I'm kind of freaked out by how fast his gross motor development is going. Where did the tiny baby go? I kind of feel like I didn't really enjoy his newborn days, I was just trying to get through them. Guilt!

I'm feeling totally lame about my inability to really figure out the ring sling. I need to watch more legs-out videos, I guess. I feel like when H. is riding legs-out he's basically "hanging", not sitting in the pouch.

Science-loving mama to one little guy (11/09).
#18 of 45 Old 03-03-2010, 03:41 PM

Name: Jessica and Annika

DDC Baby's Age: 3 months 2 days.

Updates/Milestones: Annika is grabbing onto things deliberately and bringing them towards her mouth and she does it quite often. She smiles a lot, although she hasn't laughed yet. She has really good head and neck control and pretty good balance. I can carry her around on my hip now and she's fine, in fact she prefers being upright like that to any other position.

Thoughts: Well, Annika is starting to show a real preference for me and DH, which is something that never really happened with DS. He was such a laid back baby and he was always fine with anyone holding him. We never left him alone with anyone until my parents came to visit when he was about 8 months old though, and he was fine with them, but they're family and very good with children. Annika though ... well, we have our niece staying with us to sort of be our nanny/au pair and tonight DH and I met up with a friend for dinner and left the two kids with our niece for about an hour and a half maybe? It wasn't the first time we'd left the baby with our niece while both of us were out, but the past few days Annika has been clingier and favoring me and DH more than usual. Anyhow, when I got back Annika was screaming hysterically as our niece was changing her diaper. I really don't know what got her wound up so much, but our niece said she would just start crying whenever she was put down. Our niece had to cook dinner for our 2 year old while we were out soAnnika had to be put down at some point. Still though I've rarely seen her that upset and it was sort of upsetting to me. I really hope that nothing bad happened, like our niece leaving her to cry. I don't think she'd do that intentionally but she might have had a hard time juggling the two kids effectively, plus Annika was probably missing us. So I sort of reigned in my instinct to jump on her about it because she's young and learning too and I don't want to discourage her, especially since Annika, while angry and upset, was safe, DS was fed, and I know that she really loves her cousins and that's important in a caregiver.

Speaking of caregivers, I am getting to be ok with being back at work. Whenever I'm home I pretty much have the baby attached to me and don't want to give her up. I had to "casually" remark about how much I miss my baby when I am at work because I didn't want our niece thinking that I was deliberately keeping the baby from her!

: Mom to DS (10/29/07) and DD (12/1/09). Visit my blog in my profile to read about our lives in Beijing!
#19 of 45 Old 03-03-2010, 05:08 PM

subbing. so busy and tired. but still reading along! hugs to all.
#20 of 45 Old 03-03-2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalemma View Post
Ithappened, I am totally having a bout of sadness, too. I have been feeling particularly "stuck" the past few days. Like I see my whole life spreading out in front of me, nothing but holding and nursing a baby, no social life, no meaningful work, forever!

I'm feeling totally lame about my inability to really figure out the ring sling. I need to watch more legs-out videos, I guess. I feel like when H. is riding legs-out he's basically "hanging", not sitting in the pouch.
I agree (with these two totally different statements). Ithappened, I am sorry you are having a hard time. I'm glad your getting help, you don't want things to get worse before getting help.

So far this semester, between my husband and I, we've managed to keep R asleep the 2 times a week I go out to teach (for 2 hours at a time). Today, probably the lingering effects of an unsuccessful attempt to add soy back into my diet, she woke up, refused a bottle, refused a cup and then proceeded to scream herself into unconsciousness no matter what my poor DH did. He is thoroughly scarred. I feel awful and now she is not really nursing and I'm terrified this means a nursing strike because she's really upset. (Though I just managed to get her to eat a full session on one boob by slipping it in her mouth just as she was sleep nursing!)

And, yes, what is the deal with the ring sling?! I can't get the thing to work for us. And when I put it in the tummy to tummy hold with legs out, it just looks so uncomfortable, like I'm cutting off circulation to her legs.

Mana/Rassa

12 weeks today.

She is very vocal and loves to stand more than anything. Will barely tolerate being turned inward and wants to ride on the shoulder or facing out. She gets distracted by sights and sounds while nursing too.

I swear she is teething. She's fussy/cranky alot and chews on everything, especially her hands and my nipples. I've gotten some good bites at the end of nursing sessions and she drools all the time. not sure about sleep. Someone asked me if she is sleeping through the night yet... really? I'm lucky if we get one 3-4 hour stretch and the rest are 1-2.5 hour stretches. So a total of 3 times a night. Isn't this normal? I'm just grateful she isn't fussing and crying at night.

We've also had some food challenges, corn and gluten (besides wheat) are OK, but peanuts, treenuts, eggs and now soy lecithin are on the bad list. I was taking the latter because one of my plugged ducts replugged (though I caught it early and managed to unplug it the same day). Now I am trying just soy milk in the hopes that maybe it's just SL and not all soy. We still have to try wheat and dairy. But trying while trying to take care of her and work is murder. I'm pooped and constantly feel like I am coming down with something.

R also refuses to have anything to do with a bottle and we can get a max of 1/2 oz into her via cup. This is discouraging to me because it would be nice to not be terrified everytime I leave the house without her. I'd really really like to return to my yoga class someday.

I'm having a huge desire to go have a drink in a bar for some reason. Maybe it's some yearning to feel like an independent adult.

#21 of 45 Old 03-03-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalemma View Post
I feel like this right now. It seems like every time I get close to being able to get out of the house on a regular basis, there's some setback in breastfeeding land that thwarts me, and every time I seem like I'm going to have a regular time every day during a nap to get some non-baby and non-house related work done, he switches his sleep schedule and that disappears. It seems like we won't get all these things worked out until he's old enough and mobile enough to be a handful when trying to go out. I just want to go to Babies'R'Us, darnit...how sad is that?

Quote:
So far this semester, between my husband and I, we've managed to keep R asleep the 2 times a week I go out to teach (for 2 hours at a time). Today, probably the lingering effects of an unsuccessful attempt to add soy back into my diet, she woke up, refused a bottle, refused a cup and then proceeded to scream herself into unconsciousness no matter what my poor DH did. He is thoroughly scarred. I feel awful and now she is not really nursing and I'm terrified this means a nursing strike because she's really upset. (Though I just managed to get her to eat a full session on one boob by slipping it in her mouth just as she was sleep nursing!)
Poor girl, poor DH. I hope you're spared the nursing strike. Nimbus is nursing better again every day...I'm not sure if that's because he's getting over the strike or that I'm just learning how to work with him rather than against him. It's taken awhile to find a good way to latch him on, because what he protests the most is being brought to the breast with a hand behind his head/neck. If I've Once he gets upset, the thing I've found to work is to get up and do something else if he refuses or hand him to DH for a few minutes to "push his reset button." But that's tough to achieve if the baby's already upset going into the nursing attempt. Hang in there!

#22 of 45 Old 03-03-2010, 07:41 PM

Name: Cloud and Nimbus

DDC Baby's Age: 14 weeks + 4 days

Updates/Milestones: He plays his bouncer like it's a pinball machine. And not a pinball machine played by someone liked me, a pinball machine played by someone who really knows what they're doing! His aim with his hands is already getting better. He found my nose with his hand without my help directing him for the first time on Monday night. He's laughing more and more. He "gets" Peek-a-boo now...it's so funny how surprised he his every time! For all my worries about him and making sure he's eating enough, he's a REALLY happy kid as long as I don't make him sit in a carseat for two and a half hours.

Since he figured out how to work his hands better, he's been getting them out of the swaddle at night. So I started swaddling him tight enough to keep them in and then letting them loose when he starts to get annoyed with having them pinned in once it starts to get toward morning. That's helping him sleep longer and better, it seems, because he slept 8 hours and 45 minutes straight on Sunday night! Of course, that was the night before the mastitis made itself known loud and clear, so I'm not as happy about it as I would've been normally.

I think he needs a lot of exercise during the day. Normally, I've been getting down on the floor and playing with him and reading to him during the day (reading is an aerobic activity for him...he flaps his limbs and "reads" out loud along with me), plus tummy time, plus time in his bouncer, plus DH or me helping him stand and jump. He hasn't been getting as much with me feeling awful from the mastitis, and last night I had to finally figure out that he needed to get all the kicks and wiggles out before he could nurse himself to sleep. He played in his bouncer for at least thirty minutes of highly active kicking and wiggling and talking and then nursed well on both sides and went to bed. So today I'm trying to get two or three good play sessions in without wearing myself out.

I'm feeling a little better today. Still worried about my milk production, but I'm trying to have faith that it will ramp back up once I've kicked the infection to the curb. Nimbus doesn't seem to be hungry constantly, so I guess he must get more than it seems to me. DH and my mom keep trying to reassure me of that, but they don't have the mommy hormones to make them worry about every single little tiny thing.

I'm trying to figure out the cause of the nursing strike, so I can fix it if it's something I have control over. It could be related to a development leap, either the one he just passed, or that he's already started working on the next one. He does seem to be getting distracted from nursing now, and it's hard to get away from the distractions because the main one seems to be my face! But I worry that it's something in my diet. I've been trying to eat healthier lately...maybe he does better on a frozen/junk food diet? He definitely seems to have a sensitivity to mango (unless there's some other explanation that I'm missed). He's gotten a rash every time I ate it in the last week. And he's always been an extra prolific spit-upper, which has made me wonder if I'm eating something. Whatever the cause, at least I've worked out how to keep him from getting to the point of crying most of the time.

Thoughts: It seems like in some mythical point in the past, Nimbus and I had this lovely daily routine and spent our days in easy mommy/baby bliss. Even though I know that only ever happened for a few days here or there, it makes me feel like I've lost out on some golden age of babydom. And like I said above, it's frustrating to not be able to get out and do even a short shopping trip without worrying about our BFing issues. Plus he stays awake now while we're out unless we're on the freeway, and most of the time he looks very disgruntled about his fate, which makes me feel bad and want to take him home.

I'm trying to practice mindfulness when I'm holding or nursing him...looking at him and trying to notice every little detail of the experience without passing judgment or looking to the past or the future. That helps the stress some, and reminds me to be as grateful as I am for my sweet little guy.

#23 of 45 Old 03-03-2010, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Cloud: I'm sorry to hear about the nursing strike, mastitis and continuing worry about thrush. Evie went on many nursing strikes before she was a year old. The good news is despite that our breastfeeding relationship lasted 3.5 years. Everett is getting to the stage of being fussy and distractable at the breast. This past week I've resorted to taking him up to bed and making sure the room is dark while I nurse him. Otherwise he keeps unlatching and acting upset. I'm sure his behavior is related to some developmental milestone. I hope Nimbus goes back to nursing more regularly soon. If he doesn't seem hungry or upset, maybe he just doesn't need to nurse as often anymore? Do you think he could be eating more efficiently when he does nurse?

Mana: Everett also loves to stand. I completely sympathize about the allergies and sleep. Everett has been waking every 1-2 hours for a couple of weeks. I'm so tired. I look forward to your recipes. I've been making a lot of stews and curries to go over rice lately. I'm not a fan of quinoa and I only like millet flour and whole millet as a mock couscous. Yea, I find the hardest thing about food elimination is the work involved in cooking. It's hard making everything from scratch every day. Especially since Everett has been fussy and still needs to be in arms ALL day long. I can't even prep food when DH is home because he's been coming home late on weeknights, and I work on weekends.

Jessica: I'm glad to hear that you are feeling better about being back at work. Although it is stressful to think of your baby crying, it must be heartwarming to know she prefers you.

Ruby2: What an ignorant remark from that lady. You are doing the right thing by NIP. The more people do it, the more "normal" it will seem to the rest of society.

Mandy: I'm sorry your MIL has been acting that way. I can't stand passive aggressiveness. My MIL used to do things like that a lot too.

Ithappened and anyone else who is feeling depressed: Big I'm sure the winter weather doesn't help. At least spring will be here soon. I have battled depression on and off since I was a child. After both Gavin and Evie were born, I had PPD. Really badly after Evie. It can be really hard. Taking extra fish oil will help, as will sunlight and getting out of the house. Just remember that it won't always be like this. I hope you feel better soon!

Just a little vent. I haven't been getting more than 1-2 hours of sleep at a time for weeks. Everett has been having a hard time with eczema and allergies. I do not do well with little sleep so I've been grumpy. DH has been getting on my nerves complaining about how grumpy I am and not being at all sympathetic. I told him it was easy to talk when he's the one who sleeps a solid 7 hours each night. The only nights he doesn't is because of his own doing (video games). Monday night I decided to wake up DH every time Everett woke. DH woke up very put out on Tuesday. By this morning he was sick so he stayed home from work.

#24 of 45 Old 03-04-2010, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evinmom View Post
If he doesn't seem hungry or upset, maybe he just doesn't need to nurse as often anymore? Do you think he could be eating more efficiently when he does nurse?
You know, I don't know. On the one hand, he was a sleepy baby, so I'm in the habit of thinking that any time he starts chewing and sucking on his fingers, I should feed him. But I know that babies a) self-soothe that way and b) like to suck on their fingers, so I wonder if I'm misinterpreting that signal some of the time. But on the other hand, he'll often latch on enthusiastically like he's hungry and then pull away and fuss. So it always feels like he's hungry to me...but maybe he's not. I do think distraction plays a role sometimes, because only half the time he's upset right away; the other half he's pulling away to look up at me and flirt, and only gets upset if I try to get him back on when he starts chewing on a hand.

Today he's nursing a lot more, so it's been a better day, if tiring for me when I really need rest. We just had our first fussy refusal of the night, which is pretty good. Up until then, getting up and playing with him to tire him out was working nicely...he'd nurse well after that and I'd be less stressed over the situation after playing with and reading to him (if much more tired). But this time I'd accidentally woken him up after a long run on the first side, so maybe he wasn't really hungry, just cranky because I'd interrupted his nap. He was sucking on his fingers a lot, but wouldn't latch on for more than thirty seconds, so I rocked him to sleep and now he's napping. He was pretty cranky before that, though not to the point where it was particularly hard to soothe him. Hopefully he'll wake up happier and ready to eat.

#25 of 45 Old 03-04-2010, 02:22 AM

everyone!!! It sounds like we all need it this week. Subbing now and will post more later.
#26 of 45 Old 03-04-2010, 03:19 AM

Ah ha! First poop in four days finally came, and it's waaaaay thicker than any he's had before (very soft still, since his had always been liquidy before). He seems happier now....

#27 of 45 Old 03-04-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
I'm having a huge desire to go have a drink in a bar for some reason. Maybe it's some yearning to feel like an independent adult.
Ha! I drove by a neighborhod bar/restaurant yesterday and got this weird nostalgic feeling and yearning to go! Not that I ever really enjoyed hanging out in bars before I was pregnant...I guess I just really want what I can't have...
#28 of 45 Old 03-04-2010, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
Ha! I drove by a neighborhod bar/restaurant yesterday and got this weird nostalgic feeling and yearning to go! Not that I ever really enjoyed hanging out in bars before I was pregnant...I guess I just really want what I can't have...
A lot of people I know go to bars with their babies or kids. Just avoid the smokey ones. In some areas smoking isn't allowed in public areas which includes bars. There was actually an article about people who take their kids everywhere including bars. I'll have to dig it up.

#29 of 45 Old 03-04-2010, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

The links I mentioned.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/03/02...ex.html?hpt=C1

http://www.babble.com/bad-parent-uns...oanne-rendell/

#30 of 45 Old 03-05-2010, 02:19 AM

we've taken our kids to pubs, and there is a local coffee house/bar that has a play room. It is nice to get out and now worry about a sitter, it is a super pleasant walk as well

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page