My baby's sick...what do I do? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 03-17-2010, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 12 wk old has caught a cold! Massive phlegm, sneezing, coughing...its so sad! No temp. What do I do to make him more comfy? I have humidifier and saline squirts.

How long do colds stick around in babies?
#2 of 12 Old 03-17-2010, 02:58 AM

s Libby got a few colds when she was really young and they sort of ran their course on the same kind of time frame that an adult cold would. Just keep cuddling and nursing and he will get immune support from the breast milk. I don't really know what else to do...to be honest I've been lucky and have had relatively healthy kids so I haven't had to learn much. Watch for the signs of ear infections which can develop easily in babies with colds. I know some mamas on here are really knowlegeable about natural remedies, I hope you get some more replies!
#3 of 12 Old 03-17-2010, 09:41 AM

Mine too Truckerdoo! Exact same age too...it is so heartbreaking. She started getting sick on Thursday and I think is finally just about over it today.

I slept sitting up with her on my chest for three nights in a row...actually she slept, I didn't. If she laid down for any period of time, she had to cough and cough to clear her throat, so I just stopped letting her lay down. I nursed with her as close to a sitting position as possible (never tried that before - ouch.).

We got a lot of use out of the bulb syringe. Suctioned her noce a lot for the first few days and even her cheeks during big coughing spells.

Dr. Sears says that a vaporizer is better than a humidifier and to keep it close to the baby. We didn't have one and just kept the humidifiers going full strength.

It does get better! Hang in there and the cold will run its course!
#4 of 12 Old 03-17-2010, 11:28 AM

Yeah, that is so hard! We jsut cuddle and use the humidifier. Taking a bath together can be good. I'm not a fan of giving babies anything at this age, natrual or not. Of course if baby is miserable or seems to have an infection that may call for something.

Mandy, Jesus loving, homebirthing, cloth diapering, baby wearing, breastfeeding, non-vaxing, food growing, homeschooling, hippy mama of 4.
#5 of 12 Old 03-17-2010, 04:26 PM

we've had good luck with infant's saline drops. Keep the nose clear and nurse a lot.

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

#6 of 12 Old 03-18-2010, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

Turns out he has RSV - poor little man!
#7 of 12 Old 03-18-2010, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckerdoo View Post
Turns out he has RSV - poor little man!
oh no my dd was hospitalized with rsv at 6 weeks... that sucked. hope the little guy is okay!!!!!!

#8 of 12 Old 03-19-2010, 11:04 AM

Truckerdoo - how did they diagnose it? Is there a test of some sort? I'm wondering if that's what dd has, she had a low-grade fever for 2 or 3 days...

She seems fine during the day now except for occasional congestion, but choked on mucus three or four times last night. It's so sad. :-(
#9 of 12 Old 03-20-2010, 04:45 PM

yes, they can test for RSV, but it isn't totally reliable. It typically has tons of snot of mucus... but my DD didn't have a lot, she just had retracted breathing and a low pulse-ox.

#10 of 12 Old 03-20-2010, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

they did a test at the dr's, not sure how they did it. he is on qvar (a steroid) and anothre med called ambutr-something, both in inhaler form. he is making progress tho his cough is still pretty bad!
#11 of 12 Old 03-20-2010, 11:29 PM

My little guy is just starting to get over a cold. His nose is/was congested and it sounded like he had a hard time breathing, and he's sneezing and coughing. I've been suctioning out his nose with the bulb syringe but I haven't taken him to the doc but I assume its just a cold. What is RSV and is it serious?

ribbonrainbow.gifMarried to my photosmile2.gif / geek.gif husband, trying to keep up with mybabyf.gif born 1/2010, and we have one dog2.gif
#12 of 12 Old 03-21-2010, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicfrost View Post
What is RSV and is it serious?
It is a pretty common virus that can have serious consequences. Av's seems to be managed well by the breathg meds, but I have heard in some babies it can lead to hosp. or even death. I felt bettr going to the dr so they could tell me what was going on and what to look for, since I am a clueless new mom. Plus I am a fan of dr's (a minority here, I think!) but I feel very comforted by an authorotative opinion and explicit directions.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page