When do I stop swaddling? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-26-2010, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I can't get Avett to stay asleep unless he is swaddled in his velcro Swaddle Me swaddler. I've been fine w/ this b/c he will sleep 3 3-hr chunks across the night if swaddled!

But he's a strong 14 1/2 wk old and can nearly flip himself over onto his stomach. Which is exactly where I found him at 2 a.m. last night - swaddled and laying face down!

He seemed OK but something seems wrong to me about this. Now that he can turn from back to front, do I stop swadddling him?

And if so - how the hell am i going to get him to sleep?! I have tried repeatedly to put him down unswaddled and he just bats at his face until he wakes up.

Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2010, 03:45 PM

DDC crashing here, but with my 3 year old, I swaddled her what seemed like forever to me, up to the time she was a year old, but not every night, I think i did it consistently till 6-8 months or so, I just used a sleep positioner to help her not roll over.
Old 03-27-2010, 01:33 PM

Hi there, I understand the concern! We are "still" swaddling at 3 1/2 months (don't know the weeks at this point!) She wiggles her arms so much as she begins to wake, I find her with her arms up and the blanket over her head! But she really needs to be swaddled or she wakes up the minute I put her down.

We swaddled our older son until he was around 1!

The sleep positioner is a good idea if he is rolling over. We also keep Nora in a carseat so she can't roll over, and next to my bed, so I hear her when she begins stirring at night.

I do get anxious over "will she be swaddled forever???" but remember with our first, he did outgrow it and isn't swaddled at 7, so I try to relax about it and tell myself she will outgrow it when she's ready, and do just do what works for all of us to get enough sleep right now!
Old 04-02-2010, 03:02 AM

Sorry this is so late...

Not sure if this might work for your little one, but what worked for Ellie was to start to swaddle her lose. Then we bit the bullet and moved the swaddle to under her arms, at about the nipple line. At first she was a little fussy, seemed to sleep lighter... but after two nights she was sleeping just like normal.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:34 PM

Crashing...I take care of a 7 month old little girl who still naps in a swaddle. We've used 2 tube socks filled with rice (one along her stomach and one along her back) to sort of prop her up and make her feel like she's being held, since she was about 8 weeks old. This also probably stops her from rolling over (I've never found her on her stomach in the swaddle.) I don't know if that's helpful or not.

Proud mama to beautiful Ophelia 7.29.10

User Tag List