Things not to eat while pregnant - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 45 Old 05-18-2009, 12:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxye View Post
Just saying again... most of those gooey stinky cheeses are pasteurized also especially if you are buying from a grocery store...

All these restrictions are just another way to control and make pregnancy look like an illness... do you really think that Japanese women don't eat raw sushi? or French women don't have cheeses and a glass of wine at times? If you make conscious choices of what you eat (buy sushi from a reputable place and if you are scared ask if the fish was frozen... if you don't live next to the ocean most likely it was for freshness... buy a pasteurized cheese instead of going for the raw whether it be cheddar or brie or blue, have a half of glass of wine once in a while but not more...

As women we need to take control of our bodies... make informed choices for ourselves instead of just listening to the "experts" that would rather ban everything 100% then just tell women what to look out for...

and just to say... my choices... I haven't been drinking coffee lately but I do drink tea, I avoid alcohol in the first trimester but will permit it in small amounts after... I eat raw cheddar cheese (the only cheese I eat) in small amounts... we don't eat processed meats or most other processed foods so nothing to avoid there, I eat peanut butter, I will make veggie pate and enjoy it, and I eat raw Sushi and Sashimi like there no tomorrow...
This sort of thing really ticks me off - no cheese, no sushi, no honey....

You know, food is good for us, it's not a danger we have to navigate around. It's the same kind of thinking that lands all women in a hospital with an IV drip.

I like the mind to be a dustbin of scraps of brilliant fabric, odd gems, worthless but fascinating curiosities, tinsel, quaint bits of carving, and a reasonable amount of healthy dirt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 45 Old 05-18-2009, 01:44 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
i really don't avoid the no-nos. i do what i always do, which is to avoid processed foods, nitrates, fast food, refined sugars, etc. i don't do caffeine anyway (except for what's in chocolate!), so that's not an issue for me. i'll probably have a little bit of wine here and there in the second or third trimester.

when i was pg w/ds1, i had been reading what to expect when you're expecting (), and it said not to drink unpasteurized juices. when i asked my ob about avoiding unpasteurized juices, he laughed and said, "why would you want to do that?" then he told me that most women in europe drink a glass of wine everyday during their pregnancy (he's awesome, btw, even though i have my babies at home, not with him).

i think that was the start of me realizing how alarmist some of these recommendations can be. they have basis, but you have to take into account everything that will influence their effect; are they a part of your regular non-pg diet? are they from a reputable source (yes, i would be a bit concerned about buying goat cheese from a guy on a street corner)? are they in their natural form, as your ancestors may have eaten them (dairy, honey, etc.)? do you have proper nutrition that's enhancing your immune system to make you less prone to illness in the first place?

btw, this is all my unprofessional opinion, but it just all makes sense in my brain.

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
#33 of 45 Old 05-18-2009, 01:49 PM

The only restriction I have when pg is sugar. I cut out candies, sweets, sugars, and any other form of sweet stuff that I can think of. But, I do allow myself to enjoy some when I really want some. So I am not so strict about it. I only think it through three times before choosing something sweet. I just consider something else not sweet, and most often I am choosing the not sweet over the sweet.

My last pgcy, sweets made me sick to even think about. I am a bit like that now, so it really is not hard at all.

As for sushi, I had my first yesterday. And it was great. My daughter took me out for a late Mother's Day, and we had a great time. I would eat it again, anytime I felt like it.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#34 of 45 Old 05-18-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
For sushi you don't have to avoid the raw stuff... I really hate that myth!!

the fish that is used in most Sushi has been previously frozen to be transported and stored (it is the freshest that way) and the freezing kills as efficiently as cooking...

I buy my Sashimi grade Salmon and other fish frozen at the local fish place and make the most amazing sushi... and I will not hesitate for a second to eat sushi at any good restaurant...

Also... Soft cheese... as was said... most cheese that you buy in the grocery store has been pasteurized and there is no worries at all in that case, it is the raw soft cheeses that may be a problem, especially if you are not used to eating them...

I wrote this a few years ago... What not to eat while pregnant...
Thanks so much for this. I was starting to get nervous reading all the posts of foods being avoided, because I have had just about ALL of them so far. Honestly, I've never even heard of avoiding certain foods, aside from caffeine and alcohol. With DD I ate what I wanted and had a very uncomplicated pregnancy. However, my diet is typically pretty wholesome anyway. The only thing I typically cut out is coffee and replace it with tea. I'm trying to make this a permanent habit anyway.
#35 of 45 Old 05-18-2009, 05:01 PM

Lets see, I :
drink homemade kombucha,kefir..
I eat sushi regularly
I drink raw milk
eat raw cheese
and drink caffienated coffee

I guess you could say I have researched it all and am not worried. Actually, I would be more worried about women consuming pasteurized milk products while pregnant.Those are the most likely to get have listeria overgrowth during transit. Not raw products.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#36 of 45 Old 05-18-2009, 05:42 PM

I totally miss my coffee in the morning even though I have substituted with tea. What's really crazy is about the fourth month on I crave beer like you wouldn't believe. In other time I do not drink...really wierd. Maybe it's the hops!
#37 of 45 Old 05-18-2009, 06:07 PM

According to Weston A Price, RAW milk is actually better for you than pasteurized. Besides the fact that it just tastes better.

http://www.westonaprice.org/children/babybooks.html

"Actually, raw milk is safer than pasteurized milk. Raw milk from healthy, pasture-fed cows has been a staple in many cultures for centuries, and has contributed to fabulous health, not caused disease."

Expat in Singapore...visit my blog

#38 of 45 Old 05-18-2009, 06:11 PM

The only things I'm avoiding are things I try to avoid at any time - lots of processed foods, high fructose corn syrup, trans fats and excess sugar. I'm a strong believer in moderation.

freethinking mom to DD 4/2006 and DS 1/2010
#39 of 45 Old 05-18-2009, 06:11 PM

This is what I've done so far - I've been just mostly listening to my body. I had raw milk pretty much every day, I've had a raw egg or 2 (pastured eggs from the farmers market). I've had proscuitto, and I will have sushi from a good restaurant. I've been drinking a little less green tea, but not avoiding it.
I am avoiding deli meats from the supermarket counters. I think that listeria is more likely to be present in that environment. On the other hand, I am not craving deli meat, so it doesn't matter anyways. I've been eating any cheese I want, but just not the presliced kind.
Amazingly, I really do not want wine, so it's nice that I am not even tempted (not that I would restrict myself from tasting a little bit)
Right now for me it's mostly not what I'm avoiding, but what will go down, so I just roll with it. I've been feeling pretty green for the last few days...
uh oh... :Puke

sleepytime.gif
#40 of 45 Old 05-18-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Just saying again... most of those gooey stinky cheeses are pasteurized also especially if you are buying from a grocery store...

All these restrictions are just another way to control and make pregnancy look like an illness... do you really think that Japanese women don't eat raw sushi? or French women don't have cheeses and a glass of wine at times? If you make conscious choices of what you eat (buy sushi from a reputable place and if you are scared ask if the fish was frozen... if you don't live next to the ocean most likely it was for freshness... buy a pasteurized cheese instead of going for the raw whether it be cheddar or brie or blue, have a half of glass of wine once in a while but not more...

As women we need to take control of our bodies... make informed choices for ourselves instead of just listening to the "experts" that would rather ban everything 100% then just tell women what to look out for...

and just to say... my choices... I haven't been drinking coffee lately but I do drink tea, I avoid alcohol in the first trimester but will permit it in small amounts after... I eat raw cheddar cheese (the only cheese I eat) in small amounts... we don't eat processed meats or most other processed foods so nothing to avoid there, I eat peanut butter, I will make veggie pate and enjoy it, and I eat raw Sushi and Sashimi like there no tomorrow...

I was trying to find a place to cut your post, but DANG IT, I loved the whole thing. I agree with you. Especially that third paragraph (bolded for emphasis!)...
#41 of 45 Old 05-18-2009, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinak1977 View Post
sigh... I'm going to miss sushi so much... It's worth it though! And goat cheese. Oh well, plenty of other stuff to go around. :
Arg! I kept saying that I couldn't wait to have sushi until I wasn't pregnant anymore. But you know we had a bunch going on and never made time to go out for it. Figures I get pregnant again and still have not had it.
:
#42 of 45 Old 05-18-2009, 08:37 PM

I don't understand this whole concept of avoiding food during pregnancy. Is this cultural? Why avoid sushi but not fried food? Why avoid alcohol but not sodas? There is an entire nation that considers raw fish (in the form of sushi) as part of its cuisine (hello Japan!), and the women don't stop eating sushi during pregnancy. My Japanese neighbors would laugh if I told them I wasn't eating sushi anymore due to pregnancy. As for alcohol, cheese, and deli meat, have we forgotten about our European sisters? Another group of thriving nations over there who feast on those three food items.

I don't avoid anything during pregnancy that I don't already avoid outside of pregnancy. But then again, I've always been a very conscious and conscientious eater.

Things I avoid: processed food, sugary food, sodas, chips, junk-food types.
#43 of 45 Old 05-19-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misswerewolf View Post
I don't understand this whole concept of avoiding food during pregnancy. Is this cultural? Why avoid sushi but not fried food? Why avoid alcohol but not sodas? There is an entire nation that considers raw fish (in the form of sushi) as part of its cuisine (hello Japan!), and the women don't stop eating sushi during pregnancy. My Japanese neighbors would laugh if I told them I wasn't eating sushi anymore due to pregnancy. As for alcohol, cheese, and deli meat, have we forgotten about our European sisters? Another group of thriving nations over there who feast on those three food items.
Things I avoid: processed food, sugary food, sodas, chips, junk-food types.
good point. i will research thoroughly before taking blanket statements to heart and of course, all things in moderation.

Mama to a 3 year old awesome kid, Rowan (aka Mister Boopy) and TTC another at 43!

fambedsingle1.gif gd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif vbac.gif goorganic.jpg

Herbalist, Acupuncture student, Mama, Blogger!

#44 of 45 Old 05-19-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intime0 View Post
According to Weston A Price, RAW milk is actually better for you than pasteurized. Besides the fact that it just tastes better.

http://www.westonaprice.org/children/babybooks.html

"Actually, raw milk is safer than pasteurized milk. Raw milk from healthy, pasture-fed cows has been a staple in many cultures for centuries, and has contributed to fabulous health, not caused disease."

Raw milk contains a myriad of healthful bacteria that keep any pathogenic bacteria in check. So raw is infinitely safer because anything non-sterilized that milk or cheese touches can infect it.

#45 of 45 Old 05-19-2009, 04:52 PM

Another thing- people did just fine being pregnant back in the day before the invent of pasteurization and large dairies. I think people were way more "cultured" and thus better suited to handle any pathogens they came in contact with. The scare of people dying from raw milk really only came about because of poor industrial farming methods.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page