Red Raspberry Leaf Tea Story - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 05-02-2009, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think I have posted this each time I've been in a DDC here on mothering, someone else asked my permission and started a RRL Tribe that is now over 70 pages long if you'd like to search for it. Enjoy!

This is from Rodale's Encyclopedia of Natural Home Remedies on my bookshelf.....

"The Raspberry Leaf Tea Story

Tea made from raspberry leaves is the best-known herbal aid in pregnancy. Rather than go into all the traditional lore about this herb, we present the following lengthy account, because it is both contemporaneous and highly specific.
"My mother was born and raised in Scotland, coming to america at the age of 26. Whenever a member of her family became ill or had a health problem, her mother had consulted an herbalist or herb doctor. As a result of this, I was treated with herbs as a child.
"Mother had always told me that red raspberry leaf tea would prevent miscarriage and was excellent for pregnany and chilbirth. When I became pregnant, I immediately sent for some raspberry leaf tea and began taking one cup of it each day, made from one teaspoon of dried leaves added to one cup of boiling water and steeped for 15 minutes. I had a very normal pregnancy. Then I went into labor, I truly expected to have an easy labor and delivery because I had faithfully taken the tea. While it is true that I did not have a complicated or extremely difficult time, it was not by any means easy. The tea had not lived up to my expectations.
"It was not until sometimes after the birth of my daughter that I read a book my mother had brought with her from Scotland entitled Dragged to Light by W.H. Box of Plymouth, England. In it I found the secret of just how to take the tea so it would truly work wonders during labor and delivery. Box said, 'On one ounce of raspberry leaves pour one pint of boiling water, cover and let steep for 30 minutes. Strain, and when the time for delivery is approaching drink the whole as hot as possible.'
"There were a number of testimonials in the book written by women who had used this herb. Several took the strong solution over a period of time before going into labor. They were instructed in that case to take a wineglassful three times a day. They had 'only two stiff pains and it was all over' or 'no after pains and very slight before.' They never made it out of the house. Box's instructions were, 'But those who take the tea considerably before the time should not leave the house when the time is approaching as many mothers are delivered almost suddenly when at their work, to the great veaxtion of doctors and nurses.'
"When I became pregnant again I was determined to try it that way. I still took a cup a day as I had before. but this time when I went into labor I made a strong solution of it as I had read in the book. I put it in a container and took it to the hospital with me. I wasn't sure how quickly it would work and I didn't want to have the baby in the car. I didn't think they'd allow me to drink it in the hospital so I drank half of it in the parking lot. I was afraid to drink all of it as it was so strong and I didn't personally know anyone who had taken it this strong before. I had been having strong contractions but by the time I registered and was taken up to the labor room the contractions were so mild I hardly felt them. Upon examination they said I was ready to deliver and would not even give me an enema. In the delivery room I was quite comfortable and hardly felt anything. One hour after entering the hospital my son was born.
"In the recovery room there were several other young women who had just given birth also. They were moaning abd groaning. I couldn't imagine what they were making a fuss about as I felt like I could have gotten up and gone home. I had always read and heard about women getting after-pains with a second child. I never had even one. This was also the testimony of a number of women who were treated with the tea by Box.
"Later I thought I would have had an easy time anyway since it was my second child. I was anxious for someon else to try it. A friend of mine was expection a baby in a few weeks and she had been taking a cup of the tea daily and was also goig to take the strong solution when she went into labor. She had had two previous pregnancies and both times nearly miscarried and had to take drugs and be in bed a good deal of the time. Both deliveries were extremely difficult. When she became pregnant this time she began spotting and it looked like she would have to go through the same kind of trouble she had before. Having used an herb I had given her for another problem, with success, she asked if there was an herb for this problem and I recommended raspberry leaf tea.
"She started taking it and the spotting stopped immediately and she had a normal pregnancy, much to the amazement of her family who remembered her difficulties in the past. When she went into labor she took the tea as I had and told me she had only 25 minutes of hard labor before her baby was born.
"I have told a number of women about this amazing herb through the years, but no one else seemed interested enough to try it. However, 1978 my daughter became pregnant and she was very much interested in having an easy delivery. She took the tea each day and had a normal pregnancy. She, too, took the strong solution of the tea with her to the hospital and also being a little wary drank only half of it. When the doctor examined her, it was late in the evening. He said the baby wouldn't be born until six o'clock in the the morning so he went hime. She was having hard contractions at this time and I was very disappointed and felt the tea hadn't worked. An hour and a half later we recieved a call from our son-in-law saying we had a little grandson. The tea started working and the doctor had no sooner reached his home when he had to turn around and come right back to the hospital. My daughter said the next time she is going to drink all of the tea." -- I.A., Utah"

My first child I was pretty ignorant about birth and let my doctor induce me. I had wanted to go natural but didn't know I should practice relaxing or anything and no one told me that pitocin makes the contractions so much worse. So ended up with a epidural, episiotomy, vaccuum birth - took long to recover and I still have pain where the needle was inserted sometimes. It was a 6 hour birth, mainly because the doctor decided he needed to be born before a certain time - probably his lunch break. Bad afterpains.

With my second pregnancy I learned about RRL and was going to do the strong solution, but I got so excited about the baby coming and my bag was not fully packed I forgot to brew it and then my ride to the hospital came and I had to go. I did drink it throughout my pregnancy, but forgot a lot. Still, my labor was a short 4 hours and I didn't get any afterpains as I had with my first.

Used the RRL with third labor and she was born in about 6.5 hours, the contractions were bearable, no afterpains again. Did have tons of back labor though because she was posterior.

Fourth labor was my favorite. I think because I finally put my foot down and labored at home unassisted how I had always wanted to. 5 hour labor (not counting some caontractions that started and stopped the night before), posterior again so the pushing part wasn't especially fun, but contractions were again bearable and no afterpains. I did take the RRL a little too fast, threw up, and made a new batch.

Some people are cautious taking this herb for the first trimester, but personally I start when I find out I'm pregnant and have never had a problem with it. Can feel my uterus toning, but no cramps or bleeding or anything m/c related. Still, it's probably a good idea to start with w small amount to see if you're sensitive to it.

Alicia + James = Gabriel (9), Uriah (7), Ayla (5), Noah (3), Azriel (1), and due Oct. 2011

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 20 Old 05-02-2009, 07:37 PM

#3 of 20 Old 05-02-2009, 08:52 PM

I also love RRL Currently I am drinking RRL and Red Clover combined, and pretty soon I will be making a pregnancy tea again, with Alfalfa and Nettle in with the RRL

I think herbal remedies are the way to go. Thanks for the thread!

*HUGE hugs* XXX

Mama to Josie , lost 10/10/08 at 37.4 weeks .
and my rainbow baby, Isobella Mai ...born 1/12/2010 ! in profile...
#4 of 20 Old 05-14-2009, 05:59 PM

Hey Jayjay

I was wondering what are the proportions for the different herbs? And also when do you start drinking it... And if you know what are there different benefits...I know that alfalfa or nettle are rich in vit K...

Memz, with mylove.gif and mommy  of babygirl.gif born 01/17/10 and 3 cat.gif familybed1.gifsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.gif

***4** *8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**stork-boy.gif40

#5 of 20 Old 05-14-2009, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
What is everyone's preferred brand or place they order from. I have never taken it before and am now very interested.

Angie wife to Joe and Mom to Lucas(10) and Alex (7), Elizabeth (4), Joey (2), and #5 due May 29
#6 of 20 Old 05-14-2009, 08:46 PM

I drank RRL on and off the last half of my pregnancy with DD. I started light labor at 4:30pm, My water broke around 8pm and had DD at 11:28pm. BUT, there is a history of fast labor/birth in my family. I coudn't drink it everyday because sometimes it made me sick and the last week or so I didn't have any.
#7 of 20 Old 05-14-2009, 09:02 PM

I found out about RRL late with ds#2 but started right at the start with ds#3 and had a great UC... he was my biggest baby and the easiest labour and birth and the fist baby that was not posterior...

I am definitely going to be using RRL again this time... In the summer I brew it in the morning and have it iced... So delicious!

~paxye~
Mama to Xavier (July 02) , Colin (Sept 04), Khéna(Nov 06) & Wilhelmina (Jan 10)
#8 of 20 Old 05-14-2009, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

I used to walk into the local Herbs Etc. and get a great deal on bulk organic RRL. Now I am making due with Traditional Medicinals, which I can tell is much weaker even with 2 tea bags, until I can get the bulk shipped. I know the story says 1 tsp to a cup, but I use more like 1 tbsp.

Alicia + James = Gabriel (9), Uriah (7), Ayla (5), Noah (3), Azriel (1), and due Oct. 2011

#9 of 20 Old 05-15-2009, 02:54 PM

I have heard great things about the tea, but I thought I read somewhere that if you take it in the first trimester you can have spotting or bleeding. I tried it with my second pregnancy which ended in miscarriage and it really freaked me out too much to try again. It was probably totally conincidental but when you have had losses you start worrying about everything you did that pregnancy. So despite my interest I havent been able to go back to it.

Kerry, happy wife to hubby Chad, mama to ds 6, Rainbow ds 2, and 4
#10 of 20 Old 05-15-2009, 03:32 PM

I've only ever been advised to drink this the last 6 weeks or so. I'm not a big fan of RRL tea, so it would be hard for me to drink it every day for the next 8 months, but I certainly can drink it a few times a week and drink a big batch at the beginning of labor.

You'll have to bump this a few times throughout our time together and definitely when we near January.

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
#11 of 20 Old 07-27-2009, 10:46 AM

Since we are getting to the throws of the second trimester. I just started my nettles/rrl regiment. I do about 1/2c per pot of water for about a quart. I'll do some better measuring this week and start using my coffee pot to make it since I have no taste for coffee now.

Crunchy con wife with 1 DS and 1 lil DD born in Jan. I love breastfeeding, CDing and Friday night family bed.
#12 of 20 Old 07-27-2009, 11:33 AM

It is not advised to take RRL tea during the first trimester because it is a uterine stimulant. I have been drinking mine almost every day for the last few weeks. I think that my uterus will need all the help it can get since it will be so over-extended.

Rachel
Mommy to DS13, DS12, DS7, DD5, DD3, and twin GIRLS : born at home in the water on 12/18/09
#13 of 20 Old 07-27-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel65655 View Post
It is not advised to take RRL tea during the first trimester because it is a uterine stimulant. I have been drinking mine almost every day for the last few weeks. I think that my uterus will need all the help it can get since it will be so over-extended.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
How do you make yours?

I will make 2oz of RRL/Nettles (assuming I get 1oz or RRL and 1oz of Nettles) per 1/2 coffee pot. Something along those lines or 1 tbsp per coffee cup.

This does take the place of my vitamins also. I'm a great eater and puke vitamins.

Crunchy con wife with 1 DS and 1 lil DD born in Jan. I love breastfeeding, CDing and Friday night family bed.
#14 of 20 Old 07-27-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlmueller View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
How do you make yours?

I will make 2oz of RRL/Nettles (assuming I get 1oz or RRL and 1oz of Nettles) per 1/2 coffee pot. Something along those lines or 1 tbsp per coffee cup.

This does take the place of my vitamins also. I'm a great eater and puke vitamins.
I use just a regular tea strainer like this:tea infuser. I fill it up, it probably holds about a Tbls and pour my hot water into my coffee cup. I just drink one cup per day. I do add a little honey.

I don't take vitamins, haven't with my last 4 pregnancies, even though this is the first pregnancy where I am drinking tea.

Rachel
Mommy to DS13, DS12, DS7, DD5, DD3, and twin GIRLS : born at home in the water on 12/18/09
#15 of 20 Old 07-27-2009, 05:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Shoot, I'd be afraid to take the labor booster - my labors are only 3 hours to begin with!
#16 of 20 Old 07-27-2009, 09:35 PM

I drink RRLT throughout my pgcy. It is generally advised against for those at risk or with a history of preterm labor.

I usually start mine in the first trimester and continue to increase it throughout the pgcy.

I now (at 16wks) am drinking about 2TBSP in my tea, daily. I will increase it at 24, 28, 32, & 36 wks.

It is great to toning the uterus. For me, it has not "boosted labor", but it has made contractions for effecient. And made the pp bleeding drastically less, and my pp uterus clamps down much more effeciently and quickly.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#17 of 20 Old 07-28-2009, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidzaplenty View Post
I drink RRLT throughout my pgcy. It is generally advised against for those at risk or with a history of preterm labor.

I usually start mine in the first trimester and continue to increase it throughout the pgcy.

I now (at 16wks) am drinking about 2TBSP in my tea, daily. I will increase it at 24, 28, 32, & 36 wks.

It is great to toning the uterus. For me, it has not "boosted labor", but it has made contractions for effecient. And made the pp bleeding drastically less, and my pp uterus clamps down much more effeciently and quickly.
To the mom of 10 to be...Your advice is definetly something I'd take to heart. Your method sounds similiar to the RRL story too.

#18 of 20 Old 07-28-2009, 01:27 PM

I am glad someone bumped this. I will have to try it. I've been leary of drinking any tea so far and I miss having a cup in the evening. If it helps even a little it's worth it. My last labor was unbearable!

SAHM to DD (May/07) and DS (Jan/10)
#19 of 20 Old 07-28-2009, 02:11 PM

A friend had recommended RRL tea to me as an aid to fertility. So I had been drinking lots of it and here I am, pregnant. Not really sure if they're connected but.... who knows?

I had also read to avoid it during first trimester so I haven't had any the entire time. Now that my morning sickness has pretty much gone (morning? that's a joke!) and I'm days from the official start of my second trimester, I brewed a batch for ice tea.

I'm not a drinker of milk or most juice and I've been avoiding sodas. I've gotten very tired of water, so I'm happy to have ice tea around to drink.

I asked my midwife about it yesterday and she very much supports the drinking of RRL tea.

DD#1 arrived 2/7/10!
#20 of 20 Old 07-29-2009, 10:00 AM

FOR ALL OF US :

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page