#1 of 65 Old 05-03-2009, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
#2 of 65 Old 05-03-2009, 12:39 PM

1st time it was very slight and didn't do anything about it, except make sure not to take the prenatal vitamin on an empty stomach
Ginger worked with one
B6 worked with one
Red Raspberry Leaf Tea worked with one
So far I haven't had much nausea this time around yet, except when I took my RRL tea on an empty stomach - still early thoughj

I thought is was odd how all those remedies didn't work every time, but I suppose the nausea may have been for different reasons each time? Just a thought.

Alicia + James = Gabriel (9), Uriah (7), Ayla (5), Noah (3), Azriel (1), and due Oct. 2011

#3 of 65 Old 05-03-2009, 12:52 PM

I try to eat frequently and small portions, and not eat refined carbs too much. I also drink bone broth in the morning that seems to stay down nicely.
I've been in a state of subtle queasiness for a few days now, but yesterday morning it was a little stronger. Hopefully I won't get it bad. :

sleepytime.gif
#4 of 65 Old 05-03-2009, 03:06 PM

I also eat frequent, small portions. I find I get nauseated whenever my stomach is too empty or too full.

Mama to sweet, funny Eli 9/05 and snuggly Akash 12/09
#5 of 65 Old 05-03-2009, 03:26 PM

I had some bouts of nausea a couple weeks ago but touch wood I seem to be doing well for the moment. I'm trying to keep my stomach from getting empty and drinking seltzer (natural vanilla flavor in particular feels soothing to me) instead of plain water. I'm kinda figuring out what works for me, like making a smoothie with plain yogurt, fruit, a little orange juice, and some protein powder first thing in the morning and eating solid later when my tummy is happier.

If things are like they were with #1, I'm expecting to get hit pretty hard around week 7. Hopefully not!
#6 of 65 Old 05-03-2009, 04:26 PM

I not really feeling sick yet (didn't start until around 6 weeks with my son).

But taking my prenatal vitamin at night helped.

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#7 of 65 Old 05-04-2009, 12:56 AM

Just lurking...

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#8 of 65 Old 05-04-2009, 02:35 AM

warm baths always helpd. And eating food. all. day. and. night.

Placenta eating EC mom to my sweet DS Skyy 08/24/08 and Lotus Birth HBAC DD Aspen 01/13/2010 Healed by her birth
#9 of 65 Old 05-04-2009, 09:15 PM

lots of small snacks...vitamin b-12 under the tongue, loads of protien, happy thoughts.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#10 of 65 Old 05-19-2009, 09:54 AM

Mamas, if nothing is working to help your nausea, I strongly encourage you to try taking unisom! This saved my bacon during my first pregnancy.

You can get unisom over the counter. It is a "sleep aid" that is actually a mild antihistamine. Be sure to get tablets, NOT gelcaps.

Unisom is a class A pregnancy safe drug, the safest kind!

Unisom is actually sold under a different name in Canada specifically to treat nausea in pregnancy!

When I took it, i started with 1/4 tablet as needed. When things got worse, I took 1/2 tablet every 4 hours. It stopped the vomiting, although it didn't bring my appetite back.

I was very sick last time. I already have a box of little blue tablets ready to go this time. Seriously, if you are feeling completely out of it and sick, try unisom!

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
#11 of 65 Old 05-19-2009, 11:55 AM

I nibbled food all the way through ym first trimester last pregnancy. I kept a pocketful of peanuts, almonds, or pretzles with me for the first three months.
#12 of 65 Old 05-19-2009, 11:59 AM

oh great morning sickness just kicked in this morning, really bad. Of course after reading this thread I realized that I took my prenatal AND fish oil on an empty stomach. *sigh*
#13 of 65 Old 05-19-2009, 12:28 PM

B 12 vitamins. I am vegetarian and so I think my body misses this the most of all. When I take one in the morning my M/s goes buh bye! SO nice!

Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.
#14 of 65 Old 05-19-2009, 12:43 PM

I have been using Sea Bands (accupressure bands you wear on your wrists). They are fantastic! I don't know if it is psychosomatic or not, but they have made the queasy and sea sick/motion sickness I have been feeling go away. I got them at target for $8 and think it is a fantastic remedy.
#15 of 65 Old 05-19-2009, 01:42 PM

I make sure to nibble on things and have a snack at least every two hours. I have to get dh to get me some granola bars for next to the bed since my blood sugar crashes in the morning.

Also, for people who get hit suddenly, esp with bad smells - a slice of lemon in a baggie in your pocket is great, take it out and sniff as required.

I like the mind to be a dustbin of scraps of brilliant fabric, odd gems, worthless but fascinating curiosities, tinsel, quaint bits of carving, and a reasonable amount of healthy dirt.
#16 of 65 Old 05-19-2009, 03:25 PM

I had HG last time around and NOTHING worked. Even prescription meds. So I was really sensitive about everyone's suggestions to do this or that and I would feel better.

But this time this is what has worked:
-those triple ginger snap cookies from Trader Joe's
-eating... even if I can just force myself to eat something small like a granola bar it seems to make a world of a difference in how I feel. A lot of my nausea is just caused by hunger so far. Even if I can eat something not so great like ice cream or a few potato chips to break the tension... it will usually make me feel good enough to eat something that is actually healthy and will sustain me for longer.
-drinking plenty of water
-papaya enzymes... sometimes I feel yucky because I have a lot of acid in my stomach
-making sure I get plenty of protein each day

If it gets bad I'm going to try this:
http://karenhurd.com/concern_morning_sickness.html

I figure it is worth a shot and I've heard a few testimonies from people that said it even worked better than the prescriptions they got at the doctor.
#17 of 65 Old 05-19-2009, 04:14 PM

I am willing to eat my beans. My morning sickness seems worse this time around, or maybe I just don't remember it being this bad. Not vomiting, but fighting it until 1pm in the afternoon, getting a 3 or 4 hour reprieve, and then being sick through the night. Will let you know how it works out....

Alicia + James = Gabriel (9), Uriah (7), Ayla (5), Noah (3), Azriel (1), and due Oct. 2011

#18 of 65 Old 05-19-2009, 04:25 PM

Wow! Thansk for the link. I just happened to have a lot of beans on hand...not for long!!

Darcy mama to Dillon, Marah and Leo, partner to Jeremy
#19 of 65 Old 05-19-2009, 04:31 PM

Ooh... I'm going to get a jar of baked beans (organic preferably) that actually sounds good to me... Hopefully it would work

sleepytime.gif
#20 of 65 Old 05-19-2009, 04:44 PM

I just finished a 1/3 cup of garbanzos and I already feel less sixk...woohoo!!!

I'll get back at ya about the *adverse* effects...

#21 of 65 Old 05-19-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillonandmarasmom View Post
I just finished a 1/3 cup of garbanzos and I already feel less sixk...woohoo!!!

I'll get back at ya about the *adverse* effects...
Haha. (TMI) Well, pregnancy already gives me quite a bit of stinky toots so the beans wouldn't be much of a change...
#22 of 65 Old 05-19-2009, 06:45 PM

so far, what has helped is eating constantly. The 'every 2 hours' thing is not frequent enough. I feel like I'm eating every 20-30 minutes. I try to keep the meals super small, I notice that too much is just as bad as not eating frequently. I wrote up a list of small snacks that sound good (cheese & crackers, pb & apples, cottage cheese, yogurt, etc.) and put it on the fridge for the moments when NOTHING sounds good, I just pick one & go with it.

First thing in the morning, I've been eating a very small bowl of cereal. Barbara's shredded bites is good, as well as some sort of honey O's. I've noticed that I'm very sensitive to milk right now, it makes me pass out like I just ate a huge turkey dinner, so I need to go buy some almond or soy milk for the cereal.

My stomach just never feels quite right, and I have an odd taste in my mouth, and nothing tastes quite like it should. I want to order some preggy pops and see if they work, especially for when I'm out & about.

and what is this about beans? I'll have to eat some, I love beans but I've been avoiding them cuz I'm already a big ol' gas bag

'curly girl' regina married to my man since 7/99 , SAHM to my DS (2/06) (12/08) a new to love! (11/09)
#23 of 65 Old 05-19-2009, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratrodgrl View Post
My stomach just never feels quite right, and I have an odd taste in my mouth, and nothing tastes quite like it should. I want to order some preggy pops and see if they work, especially for when I'm out & about.

and what is this about beans? I'll have to eat some, I love beans but I've been avoiding them cuz I'm already a big ol' gas bag
I've had to chew gum constantly. As soon as I stop, mty mouth tastes awful again. I don't do well with ginger, so the lollipops don't work for me.

The beans have worked all afternoon! Yay!! I am snacking on garbonzos.

#24 of 65 Old 05-19-2009, 10:06 PM

I've had really bad morning sickness that lasts well into the second trimester ad even meds didn't help. I have tried it all. THe two things that I've found to be most helpful are: fresh squeezed lemon in a glass of water, and a good digestive enzymes capsule taken w/ my prenatal and with meals.
The digestive enzymes made a world of difference for me.
#25 of 65 Old 05-19-2009, 11:07 PM

I had morning sickness BADDDD my first pregnancy and the thing that worked best for me (only thing) was just to eat only the things I didnt mind throwing up! Fruits, juices, etc. NO milk products, etc.

Since the only relief I had was from vomiting, this seemed to be a great trick!

Faiza married and with , mama to DS (09.23.08) and with #2 (due in June 2010).
#26 of 65 Old 05-19-2009, 11:32 PM

Thanks for the bean link. It was the best description of WHY we feel this way.

I wonder about other high fiber, low fat, protien snacks like apples and peanut butter or something? The thought of beans makes my stomach turn (surprise!).

Ginger helps a bit, drinking sparkling mineral water with fresh lemon or lime, eating almonds before getting out of bed...

I wish I had a personal chef-- I think I could get more down if I didn't have to think about it, go in the fridge (gag everytime), touch it, smell it, and THEN eat it. sign.

Hang in there, Mamas!
#27 of 65 Old 05-19-2009, 11:42 PM

The only legumes we had in the house tonight was (were?) a can of Amy's Lentil Soup. I'll let you know how it goes...
#28 of 65 Old 05-20-2009, 02:50 AM

the bean article was QUITE intriguing! It made a lot of sense. All I had handy was some pork & beans, I ate a few small servings and it totally helped. I am a bit worried about the, er, repercussions tomorrow

'curly girl' regina married to my man since 7/99 , SAHM to my DS (2/06) (12/08) a new to love! (11/09)
#29 of 65 Old 05-20-2009, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratrodgrl View Post
so far, what has helped is eating constantly. The 'every 2 hours' thing is not frequent enough. I feel like I'm eating every 20-30 minutes. I try to keep the meals super small, I notice that too much is just as bad as not eating frequently. I wrote up a list of small snacks that sound good (cheese & crackers, pb & apples, cottage cheese, yogurt, etc.) and put it on the fridge for the moments when NOTHING sounds good, I just pick one & go with it.

I am kind of with you on this Regina, at least in my first pregnancy. This time around everything makes my stomach turn and so it is hard to find anything to eat. Last nigh DH brought home some super greesy pizza hut pizza just because he wanted me to eat something... Never Again!

Bec, Married eternally to Dan for ten years. Parents to A (8/17/06) O (12/30/09) one love lost (2/07/09) and my little twin angels (9/24/11, 10/11/11)

#30 of 65 Old 05-20-2009, 09:27 AM

Nuts are good and usually mildly flavored... I have sprouted almonds and dried cranberries on hand always. Sprouted almonds are extra crunchy!

Protein smoothies with rice protein and/or yogurt and fruit also helped a lot the 1st time around. The cold really made it easier to eat.

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page