Who else is exercising? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-12-2009, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi there ladies,

What are you doing these days to enjoy the spring weather? How are you keeping active?

I'm keeping busy to keep my mind off of ultrasounds and other health issues, and I find that exercise really helps.

I love gardening and running, and hitch up the bike trailer a couple of times a week.

I haven't been terribly consistent, and need to get out there and do something at least 4 times a week.

What do you do for fun? Perhaps we could keep a bit of a journal? I know it would help me stay a little more accountable if I summarized my weekly activities.

hope you are all healthy and happy,
cheers,
charlene
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2009, 01:23 PM

I had been jogging pretty regular, but have now I have switched to walking and gardening. I do miss my run time. I just don't want to over do it. I have heard of some women who jog through their seventh month! Don't know if I'm that ambitious. I think I will start my light jogging in the morning, but my only set-back is my allergies are terrible after a run...like face swelling bad and I don't want to take anything over-the-counter. Does anyone know how safe Zyrtec is? It's the only thing that seems to work for me.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:36 PM

I'm planning on lots of walking and biking. I'd like to try and get in at least 20-30 minutes a day but I'm so tired when I get home from work that I've been collapsing on the couch!

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
Old 05-12-2009, 01:54 PM

I commute to work on my bicycle and I plan to keep doing it as long as possible. It's about 3 miles each way with 1 big hill on the way home. The only problem I foresee is my belly getting too big eventually. Maybe I'll have to get a bike where I'm sitting up more - a cruiser or something. It's really good for motivation because taking the bus/subway to work sucks and biking is much more pleasant and fast. It's also nice because afternoons/evenings are when I have been getting m/s so a nice 30min. outside in the fresh air really helps.

rainbow1284.gifbeth  stillheart.gifDW   blahblah.gif DD  Nov. 2009 and 1sttri.gif due Feb. 2013

Old 05-12-2009, 01:58 PM

Has anyone ever got any back-lash while exercising when you really start to show? I had some really negative comments when I was jogging in my fourth month. Just wondering if anyone else experienced this...hope not.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:19 PM

I do a ton of walking, I run in agility with my pups and I am planning to use my elliptical, and do yoga again once my pulled muscle stops hurting. I definitely noticed it is taking longer to heal now that I am pg.

sleepytime.gif
Old 05-12-2009, 02:20 PM

I like to walk, but I have not really begun in earnest yet this year. It has been rainy or cold and I just have not felt up to it. But I do need to begin very soon. I keep thinking "it will be a good day tomorrow". I guess I should just use today.

No one ever says anything to me, but then again, that is likely because I just walk, not jog or run.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:23 PM

I am jogging/running, and gardening with kids. Walking to stores too when I can. I mowed the lawn yesterday for the first time in my entire life with a vintage push-mower! Last night my arms felt like jello and my hamstrings were aching. That thing was here when we moved in(we are borrowing my dh's grandmas house) and it is hard to push.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:25 PM

I am trying to do prenatal yoga every morning before everyone else wakes up.

We also go on a few walks durring the day and make a daily trip to the park. I bought a bike recently, but didn't work up my stamina enough to keep using it durring pregnancy, so I am going to sell it and buy baby stuff lol

In some ways its nice to be in early pregnancy in spring, I have actually found that activity keeps my mind off of the m/s

Bec, Married eternally to Dan for ten years. Parents to A (8/17/06) O (12/30/09) one love lost (2/07/09) and my little twin angels (9/24/11, 10/11/11)

Old 05-12-2009, 05:29 PM

I have been really busy at work so I haven't been up to much apart from Wednesday belly dancing and Friday yoga at my school...other than that I am have been a lump.

I was going to hype up the cardio come vacation in June, really get into bikini shape for our trip to the beach in July...ha ha ha ha ha...oh well.

I guess I will probably start hiking up in the mountains behind my town, and sign up for more regular yoga classes at the gym near my house...maybe I will buy a yoga DVD so I don't have to humiliate my not so stretchy self in the class.

Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:15 PM

I'm doing yoga and walking for the moment...I'm too afraid to do much more in the 1st trimester.

Tanya - Lucky wife to dh & Mommy to dd M (5/02) ds1 C (9/05) ds2 A (1/10) &
Old 05-12-2009, 07:34 PM

YOGA! It is the only way I can get up in the morning. My back literally feels strapped to a guerny until i have done some serious twisting.

I am also keeping up with some weights-work i had been doing (not the really hardcore stuff, just some tricep/bicep work). My legs are getting as ton of exercise thanks to slinging a now 3 mo. old while gardening...Lunges!! Yowza!

Darcy mama to Dillon, Marah and Leo, partner to Jeremy
Old 05-12-2009, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am. I love to exercise; I always feel so great afterwards. I do the elliptical for 30 minutes or so and then move on to the bike for 15-30 minutes more if I have time. I try and do this four - six days a week.

Momma to DS 1, age 8 and rainbow baby DS2 4-21-11.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:54 AM

The boys and I walk over 2 miles every day in the woods behind our house. Last week we ventured on the Finger Lakes trail for a few hours. And, I have been so busy in the garden digging I am surprised I still have any energy to walk with them!!! I will be so glad when we get this land dug up Other than that, my only exercising is housework. Trust me, with this many boys, housework is a workout
Old 05-13-2009, 05:29 AM

Before the exhaustion kicked in I was walking an hour 5-7 days a week, taking one 2 hour dance class a week, and sometimes biking to school (about 5 mi). I've still be at dance class, but haven't been active other than that nearly as much. Now that I'm not quite as zombified I'm hoping to pick up again on the walking and biking.

It makes me feel so much better, and I'll be stronger for labor and birth. Oh, and I'm trying to remember 30 kegels a day!
Old 05-13-2009, 11:57 AM

I'm pretty consistent with my exercise. I exercised up until the very last minute (literally) for my first pregnancy. It was a very uneventful 9 months and I had an uncomplicated fast birth experience. I'm convinced this is because I kept up my workout routine. Currently, I exercise about 5 times a week. I run about 3 miles during my lunch break twice a week. I'll probably switch to walking in the 3rd trimester. I take a weight training class on Wednesdays a Pilates class on Thursdays and Step Aerobics class on Saturdays. I'll probably drop the Step Class when I start to get bigger or do the class without the step, my balance tends to get thrown off and I don't want to risk falling. I LOVE group fitness classes because they're typically more fun than exercising on your own, and you eventually build relationships with other people in the class and they hold you accountable if you start to slack off.

Also, Owlpainter, I battle with Allergies also. I know Zyrtec isn't reccommended for nursing mothers so it probably isn't okay for pregnancy either; but this year I discovered Stinging Nettle supplements and they have totally changed my life. It took about two weeks of taking them daily for them to really start working, but now I can run and play in the park with my daughter and have nothing more than a very slight sore throat that usually goes away within 30 minutes of going back inside. Before, I use to be miserable for the rest of the day. HTH
Old 05-13-2009, 12:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Well there will be hiking and bike riding this summer. I was thinking about starting palates again, I'm feeling really stiff.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

Old 05-13-2009, 03:33 PM

I got a treadmill for Christmas so I'm just keeping up with the same routine (5 days a week) but not trying to push the incline or speed. I normally go about 2.6 miles every time at about 4 mph but stop a little sooner if I know we're going to be walking the dog later so I don't get my muscles too sore.

ETA: I've lost over 20 pounds since the first of the year so I'm trying not to exercise quite as hard because I'm worried about continuing to lose weight.

WOHM: Married 2002. partners.gif Dog parents 2005. dog2.gif DS arrived 3/3/10. Newbie expected late June 2013. slingboy.gifbfinfant.gifcd.gif

Old 05-13-2009, 10:24 PM

Sticking with my karate and yoga nights. I did karate up until week 37 with dd. Kicking was not easy. LOL!!!

Mama to dd 2/06 and ds 12/09
Old 05-15-2009, 03:20 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Lots of gardening here, as well as working out with my Praise Moves video. I was thinking about joining Stroller Strides anyway, so I'll probably be taking the plunge and just doing it.

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:15 PM

I do. I do Crossfit (www.crossfit.com). Since the nausea has set in, though, I have decreased my days per week to about 3. I was doing 5-6. I know I will have to scale the workouts as I go along in pregnancy, so I will follow the crossfit mom site (www.xfitmom.com) Just waiting for the nausea to GO AWAY!!! If it is anything like my other 2 pregnancies, it will be here awhile. I was able to run up til almost 6 months pregnant with my daughter. Then it just felt awkward.

I also am a yoga instructor and teach a kid's yoga class once a week. I do take a yoga class once or twice a week on top of that.

Right now, though, I am just being a lump. Mostly.

Mama to monkey #1 , monkey #2 , and new little monkey #3 . I am always :yawning and making lots of
Old 05-15-2009, 10:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
oh man, when I went to work out today, my heart rate shot up quick and stayed high. It was in the 170's when I quit; worried that it wasn;t safe for the baby.

I'll have to modify my exercise. Maybe just bike for a while, until my body adjusts?

I am also super exhausted. I have a TNCC certification I am working through and in class, I fall asleep. Each time I sit down at home, I want to sleep. The need for sleep is setting in big time.

jamie, crossfit rocks! I follow DirtDiva's blog. She's my fitness hero. Someday, I'll be in shape enough to do crossfit.

Momma to DS 1, age 8 and rainbow baby DS2 4-21-11.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:38 PM

Well this past week I was on "vacation" in NYC - holy moly I walked more during that week than ever in my life!

My exercise routine is fitting in 2 -3 days of strength training and then 3 days of cardio which is usually running, run/walks or lonnnng walks.

freethinking mom to DD 4/2006 and DS 1/2010
Old 05-16-2009, 11:50 PM

I've been hiking and going to the gym... I'll continue to do it until it's no longer something I can do...

For me, I've found that pregnancy is always a great time for me to stay in shape. LOL... Not sure why... I just end up always eating really well, and even though I gain weight, I really end up losing fat and gaining muscle while I'm preggo.

I have GOT to get back into Yoga too, I used to love that!
Old 05-17-2009, 11:38 AM

I am here to remind myself that I really DO love to workout! I am an avid runner (or used to be, until I started studying Chinese and looking after a toddler!) and I love yoga. But... recently, my workouts have been more incorporated into my daily life than deliberate times when I put on gym clothes and run out the door or sit on my yoga mat! I walk everywhere here, and I hike up and down 96 stairs to get to and from my 7th floor walkup (usually with a toddler and groceries in tow). I'm in good shape - I'm not as toned as I am when I'm running and yoga-ing... but I'm fit.

HOWEVER, suddenly, the first trimester has hit me over the head like a ton of bricks and I really just want to eat and sleep. I also have a cold and morning sickness just started yesterday - So my motivation is so so low. I also suddenly have the appetite of a teenage boy (anyone else craving pizza and soda?) .

I ran until 32 weeks with my first... I probably won't do that this time around - I'd like to do more yoga and hiking... maybe a little jogging only if I want to. We'll see. I just work really hard with my toddler, and so running isn't as much of a draw these days. I feel like I'm always running, know what I mean?

So - here's to getting back on the exercise bandwagon!

Lizbiz, wife to my man who makes me smile, and mom to one bouncy boy (08/07), one sassy girl (12/09), and one sweet new boy (08/12).

Old 05-17-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizbiz View Post
HOWEVER, suddenly, the first trimester has hit me over the head like a ton of bricks and I really just want to eat and sleep. I also have a cold and morning sickness just started yesterday - So my motivation is so so low. I also suddenly have the appetite of a teenage boy (anyone else craving pizza and soda?) .
I was sick all yesterday... and the only thing that made it better was pizza. I think I ate half a pizza on my own yesterday. THINCRUST!

I've got so much to do, haven't told the kids yet... but I've been sleepy and laying town trying to nap as much as possible. I'm not sure if it's stress related to finding out I'm pregnant or just first trimester- probably a combination of both.
Old 05-17-2009, 04:26 PM

I aspire to exercise!

With my first pregnancy, terrible morning sickness basically sapped my will to live, so I wasn't very active.

This time around I really want to be more active -- I mean, I know I will feel like shi*t but I'll have to be up to care for my daughter anyway, so I may as well see if being out and about more helps. I will be gardening with friends, and have the goal of taking a walk every day with my daughter (even if it's just to the library around the corner and back). I also want to improve my posture and try to keep my abs from completely giving out, so I may try to do some simple calisthenics/weight things (we'll see).

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
Old 05-18-2009, 03:01 AM

I've been trying to get some regular exercise, but so far its been very sporadic. I really want to do something every single day. Once I'm in the 2nd trimester I will start up on the prenatal yoga, but for now I'll just do the regular yoga.
DH and I also do lots of hiking on the weekends, though lately it seems like every weekend is take up by yard work.

User Tag List