Who's nursing the LO still? (and how to keep milk coming?) - Mothering Forums
1 2 
January 2010 > Who's nursing the LO still? (and how to keep milk coming?)
scheelimama's Avatar scheelimama 04:55 PM 05-15-2009
My 18 month old is still nursing and very attached to her milk. She only nurses 5-6 times in a 24 hour period, but those 5-6 times are very important to her. She will have a total meltdown if she asks at a time when I can't nurse her and tell her no.

I was nursing my first when I got pregnant with #2. Though she was attached to nursing, I never had a great supply, and she was much younger (only 10 months old when my milk began to go) and she was perfectly okay with weaning to formula.

I've had a great supply for the first time ever with my 3rd child and I don't want her to have to wean just because of being pregnant. How can I keep my supply up?

5 years ago when I was going through this, I was told there was nothing I could do to keep my supply going during pregnancy. Is that true?

My dd2 is gluten intolerant and we just made a batch of chocolate chip cookies made from oat flour and sorghum flour, so that might help the milk, eh?

So, who else is nursing still? And what will you do to encourage your milk supply?

Rikki Jean's Avatar Rikki Jean 05:03 PM 05-15-2009
I'm actually tandem nursing right now (and wondering if I'll be triandeming when the babe comes). I don;t really have any advice though...I never knew if my supply totally depleted, until the day that my milk came in after DS2 was born, and DS1 said, "Mmmm, milk, YUMMY!" as if it was totally new to him.
scheelimama's Avatar scheelimama 05:16 PM 05-15-2009
Erica, we both have Nov. 07 babies? Were you active on the Nov. 07 DDC here?
welldone's Avatar welldone 06:05 PM 05-15-2009
hi, alisha!

the best thing you can do is keep nursing, and frequently. i have been nursing at the beginning of all my pregnancies (besides the first, of course). unfortunately, in my experience, no matter how much the toddler nurses, i lose milk supply in the second trimester.

but ellery, my nursing fiend, nursed through the low supply. she very gently weaned herself over a couple of months. it was perfect, because i was ready to be done, and she did it at her own pace.

since asher's nursing through the second pregnancy i've had in his nursing career, my supply is pretty low. but he doesn't seem to care; he nurses anyway.
scheelimama's Avatar scheelimama 06:08 PM 05-15-2009
Serina, I was wondering if you were on this board or the December board.

So, are there any herbs/supplements you can take to help? Or just oatmeal, water, and lots of nursing? I was told that Mother's milk tea is not safe during pregnancy. Is that true?
StrawberryFields's Avatar StrawberryFields 07:35 PM 05-15-2009
I am still nursing, and I was nursing ds when I was pregnant with dd as well. As far as I know there isn't any way to stop from losing your milk supply and if I recall correctly too you aren't supposed to take fenugreek during pregnancy, either. I'm going from memory on that, though, so I could be off base.

During my second pregnancy ds continued to nurse even after my milk dried up and then once it came in for dd I ended up tandem nursing. So I never really stopped nursing. I am thinking that might happen this time, too, unless dd has other plans!
waiting2bemommy's Avatar waiting2bemommy 08:37 PM 05-15-2009
I'm still nursing my 16 month old. I always hoped to make it at LEAST to 2 years, so I'm really really hopinghe doesn't wean.

So far he is still nursing upon wakeup and throughout the day, although if we are busy he will forget to nurse unless I offer.

My nipples are sore so even though in theory I want him to nurse, in reality I'm loathe to offer when he doesn't ask, lol.

We will see what the future holds. I plan to eat a lot of oatmeal this pregnancy!
Rikki Jean's Avatar Rikki Jean 10:44 PM 05-15-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by scheelimama View Post
Erica, we both have Nov. 07 babies? Were you active on the Nov. 07 DDC here?
Ya know...I was, then I wasn't, then I was, then I wasn't...life was pretty crazy during my pregnancy with Jonas, and I just couldn't keep up with the group. Between working (at the time), going on vacation, and moving into a house that took six weeks just to make livable (and doing that work in the middle of summer when it was ALWAYS over 100 degrees, and there was no air in the house), I was pretty stretched. I'm hoping that life during this pregnancy will be much calmer (um, even though we have a road trip to IL planned for July, where we'll be gone for a month, and we have two camping trips planned for August, one of which I'll be doing by myself with the kids...um, yeah, I'm crazy!), and that I'll be able to stay really connected here.

Did you stay active with the group when it moved to another board? veganjoy sent me the link, but it didn't work for me whenever I tried to use it, and I figured that, since I'd been MIA half the time anyway, no one would really miss me.
Bluegoat's Avatar Bluegoat 10:02 AM 05-16-2009
I was wondering about this too - my dd nursed for over an hour last night after we went to bed, then got really mad, kept switching sides, then freaked out. She was completely inconsolable for 1/2 hour, if I tried to touch her or talk to her she hit me and screamed Go Away! So I am thinking my supply is low, a problem I've never had before.
ekblad9's Avatar ekblad9 02:02 PM 05-16-2009
I have nursed through several pregnancies. I have found "more milk two" works great for helping supply. I wouldn't take it in the first trimester, though, b/c it has RRL in it ( I know it's not contraindicated it just makes me nervous). Nettle/dandelion/alfalfa tea works well too. I brew a quart (with a few other herbs in it) and drink it iced.
welldone's Avatar welldone 03:16 PM 05-16-2009
Quote:
Serina, I was wondering if you were on this board or the December board.
yeah, my due date is somewhere between 1/4 - 1/7, so i'm hanging out here. though i've always been early, so i'm thinking sometime after christmas.
dillonandmarasmom's Avatar dillonandmarasmom 06:10 PM 05-16-2009
I'm still *nursing* my 4 year old ...I because I know she'd be okay without, but when am half asleep and she is tugging up my shirt, I just don't have it in me to resist and scratch her back instead...

I've been wondering how long she'll keep up. I asked her if I still have milk, and she has said that I don't, but she still likes to "suck the nipples."

Aye, aye, aye...what'll happen when the babe comes along???
thesuze1987's Avatar thesuze1987 01:50 PM 05-17-2009
Yes, I am currently nursing an 18 month old. I was nursing when I got pregnant with him, too. My supply dropped, and I am pretty sure dried up completely, in the middle of the second trimester.But that didn't stop my DS! (He was 2). He just kept nursing, even though he wasnt getting much, if anything. He continued to nurse until a few months after the baby was born. I hope ds 2 follows in his his footsteps, cus he really isnt ready to wean.
smokeylo's Avatar smokeylo 01:55 PM 05-17-2009
This is my biggest concern about being surprised by pregnancy --- I really cherish my nursing relationship with my oldest daughter (not quite 15 months) and am heartbroken that it may be messed up by pregnancy. I have a friend who got pregnant a few months ago around the same time as me, who continues to nurse her son successfully. He stopped night nursing himself around 17 months. I don't know what will happen with me and dd, I just know I will keep nursing her as long as she's interested. I really don't want her to wean before 2 (but this baby is due a month before her 2nd birthday!).
paxye's Avatar paxye 04:42 PM 05-17-2009
I nursed ds#1 through my pregnancy with #2... the tandem nursed through pregnancy #3 and triandem nursed for a while (ds#1 weaned himself at 5)...

Now I am tandem nursing again... (ds#2 will be 5 in sept, DS#3 will be 3 in Nov)

The last times my supply didn't really go down until about 6 months... then I had colostrum but they kept nursing... (I have always offered, even if they didn't seem interested... and it is a big part of our nightly routine which I love)

I honestly would be quite sad if I wasn't nursing at least one by the end of the pregnancy.... it may be uncomfortable at times but tandem nursing can be so helpful postpartum... I also really believe in the natural age of weaning being later rather than sooner so I believe that ds#3 is too young to be weaned by pregnancy.. I don't think I would be too phased if ds#2 weaned though but I won't lead it...
Kidzaplenty's Avatar Kidzaplenty 03:01 PM 05-18-2009
I have nursed though pgcy, never had my milk dry up. So, I am not expecting it to dry up now, only I am sure it will change a lot.
smokeylo's Avatar smokeylo 10:56 AM 05-19-2009
This is reassuring to read!! I guess I'll just keep going and let her guide me!
waiting2bemommy's Avatar waiting2bemommy 12:25 PM 05-19-2009
I just posted here, but now I'm thinking I'm losing my milk ALREADY

Ds has been up every ngiht the last three nights thrashing and kicking and screaming and going back and forth from side to side. He also squeezes my boobs really hard. I think my milk is going away. i tried to tell him that there was a baby in mommy's belly that was drinking the milk but he wasn't impressed. He paused, thought about it, and then hauled off and punched my belly.

Looks like I've got a situation......
Usually Curious's Avatar Usually Curious 07:52 PM 05-19-2009
I may as well jump in ... still nursing my 18mo, but I don't know for how long. He doesn't show a lot of interest and I lost my milk last time at around 5 months. Plus, it hurt sooooo much to nurse him. I would not be too upset if he gives it up, but if he doesn't I guess I'll be tandem nursing.
patagonia's Avatar patagonia 08:04 PM 05-19-2009
another nursing mama over here! I plan on just letting nature take its course. So far I've just felt a lot of pain when he's latched on to the right breast. I keep biting my lip and curling my toes. I hope that passes soon.
MuslimMama's Avatar MuslimMama 12:41 AM 05-20-2009
Oh I am SOOOOO happy to read this thread! I just had my son 8 months ago, and though I am SOOOOO excited, I am SOOOOOOO worried about my milk supply!

I was hoping to EBF for at least 1 year and continue breastfeeding for at least 2 years.

I am taking 2x prenatal vitamin, fenergreek 3x/ day, 2 tbs. Cod liver oil, and a cup or two of mother's milk tea.

Would love to hear updates on how it is going for everyone and any more tips from mamas who have had success in previous pregnancies!
patagonia's Avatar patagonia 12:58 AM 05-20-2009
wow I just went from 0 to 60 on the pain scale. I feel like my nipples are being skinned alive.
scheelimama's Avatar scheelimama 01:22 AM 05-20-2009
MuslimMama, I've heard you are not suppose to drink MM tea when pregnant. :
Sharlla's Avatar Sharlla 01:24 AM 05-20-2009
I'm not nursing (haven't in 2 years) but I still have milk LOL My boobs have gone up a cup size already.
MuslimMama's Avatar MuslimMama 02:13 AM 05-20-2009
Quote:
MuslimMama, I've heard you are not suppose to drink MM tea when pregnant. :
hmmm... thanks!!
Seems from reading around that I should not be taking fenergreek either. I have an appointment with a midwife/ lac consultant next week so I will double check with her before continuing. Thanks!!
lacysmommy's Avatar lacysmommy 02:14 AM 05-20-2009
I nursed through pregnancy 2 and my milk went pretty dry by 17 weeks when I stopped pumping (getting less than 1 oz per pump session). I didn't pump after that, but my DD kept on nursing through the pregnancy and tandem nursed for something like 18 months. I really hated nursing first tri though, and I'm working on weaning my almost-3 year old currently. I was already weaning before I got my BFP because I like them weaned around 3 yo. We're down to once a day and we'll start cutting the last nursing soon.

I'm not sure about the herbs in MM tea, but I've heard about a supplement you can take while you're pregnant that helps with milk supply. I didn't take it with pregnancy2 but I wish I had since DD1 was only 13 months when I got pregnant.
clevelandmama's Avatar clevelandmama 01:40 PM 05-20-2009
I'm still nursing my 19 month old and I hope she'll continue through this pregnancy. She shows no signs of slowing down at this point!

I think my only concern, if it could be considered a concern, is the night nursing. I just can't imagine nursing her and a newborn at night. Anyone have any good tips or insight into that?
lacysmommy's Avatar lacysmommy 08:08 PM 05-20-2009
Well, my DD1 basically night weaned during my pregnancy. I just couldn't provide access to her anymore, and she just nighweaned pretty easily. Since I didn't have a bun in the oven to convince DD2 to nightwean, I had to do it differently. I used Jay Gordon's technique and it worked beautifully. I blogged about my experiences here. I also have the link to Jay Gordon's nightweaning info in the first post (scroll all the way down).

As far as tandem nursing to sleep, the way that worked best for me was to put the kiddos on pillows so they could both access my breasts at the same time. I was lying on my back and I used my arms to position them correctly. I didn't need any help from DH in getting them positioned. They would both nurse to sleep that way, and we did it like that for about a year or so.
ekblad9's Avatar ekblad9 08:19 PM 05-20-2009
You definately shouldn't be drinking MM tea or taking fenugreek.

I'm bummed b/c I think my supply has really dropped. I've never had this happen before. now I don't know what to do and I feel guilty. My baby is only 10 months old. I really don't want to start her on a bottle. I gave her some whole milk tonight and she inhaled it. This is definately a first for me.
Pavonine's Avatar Pavonine 08:24 PM 05-20-2009
L is still nursing at 25 months. She was pretty much down to 3 times a day, which I've been encouraging gently since latching her on is quite uncomfortable! It's not as bad once she's latched on well, but if she slips back a bit, ouch! I've been reminding her to use a big mouth and let me help, as she was quite happily latching herself but now I'm too sore to let her do it.
1 2 

Up