Let's talk about birth options ... - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 79 Old 08-11-2009, 11:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxye View Post
I understand it completely, but personally it just wouldn't factor in my choice to UC, the possibilities of transferring are too slim for me to make it the deciding factor.

There is only one doctor at the hospital here and he is not close to being home birth friendly or even naturally birth friendly (he has been known to fire women for having a doula) but if I was to transfer I would still stand up for my rights... I also would only transfer for a life or death emergency (not just tired etc) so I would probably go there with the expectation of a very medicalized treatment because that is their speciality (which is why I would never birth there in a non-emergency)

wait, what? Dr's here can FIRE you? I've never heard of it happening, I just assumed they weren't allowed to!

Hmm, maybe I'll be a little bit more close-mouthed to my dr. Or more polite at the very least. Just in case.

ETA: I apparently missed this on my first read-through, I realize this is kind of a late response to your post :P

Grace - wife to Jeff and mama to Nigella (11/08) and Orrin (01/10)- expecting a new addition (05/12)! Life is a whirlwind, but I'm learning to enjoy the ride!

#62 of 79 Old 08-11-2009, 11:48 PM

Docs can absolutely fire you. I have been fired now three times, twice while still pg and once two days after the birth.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#63 of 79 Old 08-12-2009, 01:14 AM

Are you in Canada?

I've heard of it happening a lot in the US, I just assumed it didn't happen round these parts, what with health care being paid for by the government, blah blah blah

Grace - wife to Jeff and mama to Nigella (11/08) and Orrin (01/10)- expecting a new addition (05/12)! Life is a whirlwind, but I'm learning to enjoy the ride!

#64 of 79 Old 08-12-2009, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astraia View Post
Are you in Canada?

I've heard of it happening a lot in the US, I just assumed it didn't happen round these parts, what with health care being paid for by the government, blah blah blah
Hmm, my stepfather, who is a GP in Canada, has once or twice told a patient that it was "not working out." But it isn't something he does lightly, and he has lots of patients that he finds trying, but so would any doctor, so he continues to give them care. I know he wouldn't put someone in the position of having no doctor at all.

I don't remember what the reason was with the ones he asked to find another doctor.

I like the mind to be a dustbin of scraps of brilliant fabric, odd gems, worthless but fascinating curiosities, tinsel, quaint bits of carving, and a reasonable amount of healthy dirt.
#65 of 79 Old 08-12-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegoat View Post
Hmm, my stepfather, who is a GP in Canada, has once or twice told a patient that it was "not working out." But it isn't something he does lightly, and he has lots of patients that he finds trying, but so would any doctor, so he continues to give them care. I know he wouldn't put someone in the position of having no doctor at all.

I don't remember what the reason was with the ones he asked to find another doctor.

I've heard of dr's refusing to care for you at all (ie, overweight patients, smokers, etc) but not of firing patients.

If my dr fired me, I'd have no dr. He's the only one I can find within a 2 hr radius. Maybe I'll play nice. Just in case. Although in the end he probably won't be the one to deliver so I guess it doesn't matter that much <shrug>

#66 of 79 Old 08-12-2009, 01:44 PM

I don't know how I missed this post when it first came through but homebirth is now legal in MO and there are really no regulations concerning it. There are not XYZ that has to be done or anything. I know of a few midwives in SW MO that I could put you in contact with if you wish.

ETA: UC is still illegal

Rachel
Mommy to DS13, DS12, DS7, DD5, DD3, and twin GIRLS : born at home in the water on 12/18/09
#67 of 79 Old 08-12-2009, 02:24 PM

i know i'm the odd mamma out here. i'll be birthing in a hospital with an OB, and i'm not ruling out anything at this point. while i'd love to think i'd be able to do it all on my own, i'm not sure how it'll be when i'm in the moment.

i've already gone though a labor & delivery of sorts with my miscarriage. the pain from that was bad, but bearable (with lots of aspirin) but i also know going through L&D at 9 - 10 weeks along is going to be very different than being 40-ish weeks along!

mom to Andrew   born Feb 6th, already a mom to child with fur; and still missing and still wondering about the lost possibilities Mar 17, 2009
#68 of 79 Old 08-12-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel65655 View Post
ETA: UC is still illegal
I don't think UC is illegal in any state (or country for that matter). I mean, really, how could they regulate it? And how would the law read? "A mother can not give birth without medical assistance."?

At MOST it is troublesome, but illegal? I don't think so. (I would love to see any law that stated a mom HAD to deliever a baby in an "assisted birth".)

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#69 of 79 Old 08-12-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidzaplenty View Post
I don't think UC is illegal in any state (or country for that matter). I mean, really, how could they regulate it? And how would the law read? "A mother can not give birth without medical assistance."?

At MOST it is troublesome, but illegal? I don't think so. (I would love to see any law that stated a mom HAD to deliever a baby in an "assisted birth".)
:

i searched and couldn't find anything about UC being illegal in MO.

successful #2 Jan. 25th - welcome Maisie Elise!
#70 of 79 Old 08-12-2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidzaplenty View Post

No, I have never heard about any place that it is illegal... and it certainly is not in the states or in Canada... though there are places that it is illegal to homebirth with a midwife, it is not illegal to UC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astraia View Post
wait, what? Dr's here can FIRE you? I've never heard of it happening, I just assumed they weren't allowed to!

Hmm, maybe I'll be a little bit more close-mouthed to my dr. Or more polite at the very least. Just in case.

ETA: I apparently missed this on my first read-through, I realize this is kind of a late response to your post :P
Yep, doctors can fire you... and I live in a place that has only one OB also... I went to see the OB here in case of an emergency and got fired from the doc the same day... All I did was ask things about birth procedure and wondered how they would react to things during birth (moving around, eating when hungry, no IV etc... ) he also didn't agree with me refusing tests...

A few others in the area got fired from the same doctor because they hired a doula, refused tests etc...

The thing is though, there is only one OB at the hospital here where I live... he can fire any patient but when it comes to the birth he cannot refuse care if he you go in and he is there... I think that this is the same anywhere...

~paxye~
Mama to Xavier (July 02) , Colin (Sept 04), Khéna(Nov 06) & Wilhelmina (Jan 10)
#71 of 79 Old 08-12-2009, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
UC is not illegal in any state, including MO. Homebirth with a CNM is legal in MO now, but not with a DEM. I don't like CNMs, they are generally too medically minded.
#72 of 79 Old 08-12-2009, 08:45 PM

Making UC illegal would be mighty hard to do. There are enough accidental births at home that it'd be impossible to say you INTENDED to stay home (unless you made it public knowledge) or accidentally had a baby at home, for whatever reason.

Paxye- my dr seems VERY anxious to transfer me to a midwife... which makes me think he knows I'm going to be subversive and doesn't want the hassle. Or maybe he's pro natural birth, I'm not sure.

We'll see how he feels once i start refusing things. I'm not sure if I'll ask on my appointment how he'll feel about stuff like refusing IV's, moving in labour, etc. Gotta think on that some more.

#73 of 79 Old 08-12-2009, 09:10 PM

Before homebirth with a midwife was legal in MO, we had looked into it anyway and we are close to AR, so we could always have gone there instead. I specifically remember reading stories about women being charged with crimes for having their babies unassisted at home. I wish I could find those articles now but I am sure after 10+ years, they are probably not readily available online anymore. Anyway, I think that the law, even if there really is one or not, is completely unenforceable. Some states do have laws to the effect of the father cannot catch the baby, etc...but how are they going to enforce something like that?

CPM's are also legal in MO, I am using two. They do not have to be nurses, just licensed. She is pretty natural but would prefer to use some pitocin if I show any signs of hemorrhaging rather than weight for herbs to kick in, which I am fine with. I would rather not birth twins fine at home and then end up in the hospital because we couldn't stop the bleeding.

Rachel
Mommy to DS13, DS12, DS7, DD5, DD3, and twin GIRLS : born at home in the water on 12/18/09
#74 of 79 Old 08-12-2009, 11:07 PM

the 'father can't catch' law is in nebraska, and really? it's never enforced, either. i specifically wrote on my birth cert. paperwork that *i* delivered, and guess who's name they put? his...he sat in a corner trying not to pass out the entire time...

the law does not state specifically that the father cannot catch. it was decided later in an opinion referring back to the law, that if a father acted in the role of 'midwife', or in an obstetric manner, he could be charged with practicing medicine without a license if it was a non-emergency situation.

http://www.ago.ne.gov/agopinions/det..._search_id=713

successful #2 Jan. 25th - welcome Maisie Elise!
#75 of 79 Old 08-13-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
There's no way on earth or in hell I am having another cesarean unless it is an absolute emergency. I would sue. I'm serious.
This is exactly how I feel. I'm looking into having a home birth, now that my wonderful nurse midwives have been "let go" from the practice I go to because of stupid bureaucratic BS. HB midwives are scarce here, since it's illegal in my state. We'll see. If not, I have an awesome doula who'll help me stay at home till the very last possible second. Maybe I'll have the baby in the minivan on the way. Hey, it's better than a c-section.

Jen, mom of  two amazing girls, b. 2/16/06  and 1/29/10 hbac.gif

#76 of 79 Old 10-31-2009, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Curious View Post
I'm a staunch home-birther. In TX, that was fine because the laws were not nearly as archaic as they are here in MO.

I'm very torn about the idea of birthing in a hospital. I hate the loss of control and the 'superior' attitude they have. Not to mention, the difficulty they give when you opt out of 'treatments' like vit. K shots and eye goop. If I birth in the hospital I know they'll label me adversarial(sp?).

Anyone else obsessing over birth options yet?
Can we opt out of Vit. K shots and eye goop? Im having our first hospital birth in years and want to know what I can refuse.
#77 of 79 Old 10-31-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spilled_Milk View Post
Can we opt out of Vit. K shots and eye goop? Im having our first hospital birth in 16 years and want to know what I can refuse.
Yes you can, but I would suggest you make sure your doctor/midwife is on your side as it will make things much easier for you if he/she is on board. I would also make sure that the nurses know that because typically they are the ones to do that and if you don't want it done make sure your doctor/midwife puts baby right on your chest and have all exams done there. Usually once baby leaves you that is when they do all of the procedures and sometimes they simply don't ask parents and just do it. If baby leaves you then my suggestion would be to have your dh go with the baby and make sure he knows what he is looking to stop them from doing.

Michelle married to my highschool sweetheart and mom to: DD '88, DS '90, DD '91, DD '94, DD '97, DD '98, DD '01, DD '08, and DS'09

(Non-profit Organization Director and Program Coordinator / Doula / Educator / Massage Therapist)

#78 of 79 Old 10-31-2009, 11:13 AM

Spilled Milk, I had no problem with refusing things in my daughter's (hospital) birth. It went in my birth plan and they followed it to a T, but that was the crunchiest of my local hospitals that really promotes being mother/baby friendly.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#79 of 79 Old 11-01-2009, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto9kidlets View Post
Yes you can, but I would suggest you make sure your doctor/midwife is on your side as it will make things much easier for you if he/she is on board. I would also make sure that the nurses know that because typically they are the ones to do that and if you don't want it done make sure your doctor/midwife puts baby right on your chest and have all exams done there. Usually once baby leaves you that is when they do all of the procedures and sometimes they simply don't ask parents and just do it. If baby leaves you then my suggestion would be to have your dh go with the baby and make sure he knows what he is looking to stop them from doing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page