any ideas on names? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 58 Old 05-30-2009, 12:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DH is named Andrew :

I really like both of those names. Although, my middle name is Marie, and many people assume my whole first name is TaylorMarie, so it might go the opposite way for your little one. Just a thought. ^_^

For a girl, my DH really likes Athena, but I like Emberlyn.
For a boy, my DH has not desided, but I like Hunter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 58 Old 05-30-2009, 11:12 AM

My hubby says I get to name the baby, like with the first. I won't name the babe until after the birth, but I definitely keep a running list of my favorite names:

Boy:

Hawk
Ronan
Heathcliff
Jasper
Roman
Wolf

Girl:

Indiana
June
Hero
Bronte
Artemisa
Siren
Phoenix
Talulah

I could go on and on with the girl names, but these are the ones I like today .

+ = and .
#33 of 58 Old 05-30-2009, 11:26 AM

Anyone having trouble picking a first and middle name that flow? For a boy, we want Dominic and I wanted to use my late fathers name for the middle name. But my dads name was George. Dominic George? Eh. Doesn't work. Sounds weird. *sigh* But I'm sure I'll still use it...

For a girl we have a middle name for sure...Lu...but have a short list of first names we can't seem to decide on...

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#34 of 58 Old 05-30-2009, 12:03 PM

^^^ I think Dominic George has a nice flow.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#35 of 58 Old 05-30-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanQueen99 View Post
^^^ I think Dominic George has a nice flow.
Thank you, I'm sure I'd get used to it!! The meaning behind it means more to me than the "flow" anyway.

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#36 of 58 Old 05-30-2009, 01:11 PM

Lots of great names!!!!!

I have decided on Truman for a boy - not sure about the middle name. I think it will probably be Jonathan, after DH's best friend that died a couple years ago.

If it's a girl, I'm not 100% sure yet. I was thinking Charlotte Olivia but I'm not set on that completely. DD's name is Fiona Katelyn - definitely an Irish girl!!!

freethinking mom to DD 4/2006 and DS 1/2010
#37 of 58 Old 05-30-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaytonPlace View Post
after DH's best friend that died a couple years ago.
That's where we got our boy 1st name choice.

#38 of 58 Old 05-31-2009, 02:30 AM

Okay, so dh and I are really into Greek mythology and our previous children reflect this:

Shoshana Artemis 8yold
Piedra Apalonia 7yold
Harmony Ariadne 5yold
Rowan Arion 2yold

But this time around were thinking Melody for a girl, that way we can have Harmony and Melody. A boy, my dh likes Merlyn! and I am liking Theseus. So were set if it's a girl. If it's boy we will have further debates
#39 of 58 Old 05-31-2009, 03:32 AM

DH is Indian, I am white American. For DS, we chose an American first name and Hindi middle name. For newbaby, DH wants a Hindi first name and American middle name. Which is complicated by the fact that I don't know many Hindi names, he won't suggest any, and Indians think it's weird to name babies after family members, so family names are out. I've tried looking up Hindi names online, but I never know how to pronounce them properly. DH does have one suggestion -- Shanti, for a girl (means peace in Hindi). But I'm not sure I like it.

So, in short, no idea.

Mama to sweet, funny Eli 9/05 and snuggly Akash 12/09
#40 of 58 Old 05-31-2009, 05:54 PM

For a boy we are going with Alexander Lawrence (Lawrence after my father and grandfather)

for a girl we are going with Victoria Grace (Victoria after my MIL). (Grace is still up in the air)

Mommy to: Belle: 01/27/2002, Maggie: 07/22/2008, Daniella, lost @ 9 wks on 06/04/2007, Baby Three Due 1/10/10
#41 of 58 Old 05-31-2009, 06:14 PM

For a boy, DH & I have decided on Noah, though we have no idea for a middle name yet. We were going to go with Dillon, but my bff is pregnant also and using that name [ spelling it differently, though ]. It was a complete coincidence, and we were just going to share that name, but I just decided to go with a different one.

For a girl, we are so back and forth. Makenna is an option. Emma has been my favorite girl name for years upon years.. way before it became so popular. I would love to still be able to use it, but I don't want my DD to have the same name as 10 others in her class. But.. it's still an option. I also really like the name Emalyn. I would still have my favorite name in there, but it's switched up a bit so it's not so common. Reese will be the middle name, no matter what.

brandi
Wife to Thomas (03/05) Mama to Tommy (04/06) & Emma (01/10)
#42 of 58 Old 05-31-2009, 09:05 PM

We have decided on Makayla for a Girl. We haven't come up with the middle name yet. As far boys names we can't agree on anything! I like Kolton James but DH doesn't.

Christie SAHM to DD~10/03, DS~4/06, & ~3/09 &
Arrived 1-14-10
#43 of 58 Old 06-01-2009, 10:33 PM

owlpainter- my name is melody and i have really enjoyed it!

themamamama- i love the hindi name ravi (pronounced RAH-vee) for a boy. i knew one since childhood & he is an awesome person, so that helps...

two girls for us! 04.23.07 & 01.17.10...
#44 of 58 Old 06-02-2009, 02:32 AM

Thanks, melodyka! Immediately after posting here, I actually spent a couple hours going through Indian name lists online, and made a list of some names I liked with meanings I could live with. When DH gets home from his business trip, I'm going to ask him to pronounce them for me and see if I still like them. I'm going to add Ravi to the list, I like it.

#45 of 58 Old 06-02-2009, 02:40 AM

For a boy:

Andrew Chester (Chester is a family name)

Nathanial Roberts (Roberts is a family name)

For a girl:

Savannah Hope (or Joy)

Sarah Margaret

I love Penelope, but dh won't let me use it!
#46 of 58 Old 06-02-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themamamama View Post
Thanks, melodyka! Immediately after posting here, I actually spent a couple hours going through Indian name lists online, and made a list of some names I liked with meanings I could live with. When DH gets home from his business trip, I'm going to ask him to pronounce them for me and see if I still like them. I'm going to add Ravi to the list, I like it.
Don't know if this is on your list or not, but I love the name Shoshi...it has something to do with the moon, and sounds very pretty (I think )

cheers,
charlene
#47 of 58 Old 06-02-2009, 03:34 PM

Thanks, Charlene!

#48 of 58 Old 06-02-2009, 06:22 PM

I haven't really thought about names yet. (I refuse to really do much at all pregnancy related until we hear a hb)
DH and I generally disagree on names so we'll see how that goes.

I like Ian for a boy. Maybe Michael for a middle name...but I know I guy named "ian Micah" so I'm afraid it will sound like I'm practically stealing his name.

I like Maggie for a girl, but I really don't like Margaret and I'm the type that likes to give people more formal (resume-friendly if you will) names that have nice nicknames. (Like my DD "Ali" is really Alissa)

student momma to two great girls

#49 of 58 Old 06-03-2009, 11:35 PM

The bean will be named after my husband:

Girl: Arabela - beautiful lion in spanish (He is a Leo, and worked in Spain when we started dating...kicking myself for not going on that trip)

Boy: Hunter Matthew-DH is a Hunter (sorry, but always eats the kill, and never simply trophy hunts) Matthew is his middle name

-K
#50 of 58 Old 06-04-2009, 04:21 AM
Banned

mrsfrenchy, what about Marguerite? It is the French form of Margaret (and I <3 it).

My current favorite girl name is Calliope but I kind of worry that everyone will think I named the baby after a carnival organ grinder.
#51 of 58 Old 06-04-2009, 02:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Don't have names picked out yet. I know what I would like to name the baby but DP vetoed it : he's been calling the baby "Whisper" I'm not sure how I feel about that as a name choice.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#52 of 58 Old 06-04-2009, 08:53 PM

Keith gets to pick, but I get veto rights. I only felt it was fair, I've named four, this is his first...

His sister Amy died about 10 years ago, and I'd like to honor her in some way if it's a girl... but I'll just put that bug in his ear and see what he comes up with.

I really do like Amyleigh... or Amy Leigh.

My 6 yo dd (who doesn't know I'm pg) told me last night that she wants a baby sister that is named Megan so she can call her Meggie.

Hm. How's that for pickin' up the baby vibes? LOL.
#53 of 58 Old 06-05-2009, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
For a girl, I want to name her Margaret (Maggie!) Rose. Margaret after my MIL and Rose after my best friend Jill Rose who died last year.

For a boy, I really want Judah, but DH doesn't like the name at all. He says Noah is ok. I have no idea about a middle name.

Momma to DS 1, age 8 and rainbow baby DS2 4-21-11.
#54 of 58 Old 06-05-2009, 09:08 AM

We already used our boy name - we'd come up with it years ago.

If we have another boy, we are going to be in trouble, because there aren't any that we've agreed we like yet! Our son's middle name is Coltrane, and I'd like to have all our children have 'jazz' names. My favorite other boy's name is Miles, but DP says "Miles Davis was an a**hole!"

John Coltrane wrote a piece called Naima, which was his wife's name at the time. I like that, but DP thinks it's too "ethnicity-specific."

Our previously agreed girl's name was Eleanor Bailey... I'm still OK with that, but I've recently discovered Freida (not sure of spelling) and Ada in my DP's family tree, both of which I really like.

Expat mama to my 7-year-old Halloween boy and my cheeky preschooler, who came before the midwife in January 2010... Gestating a new bean, debuting spring 2014!
#55 of 58 Old 06-05-2009, 11:03 AM

We have to follow our theme. We are Amanda, Benjamin, Carter, David, Ella... so the next baby needs to be an F. For a girl we've decided on Felicity Jean (Jean after Dh's grandmother) I like Finley for a boy, but Dh isn't so sure about that.
#56 of 58 Old 06-05-2009, 11:15 AM

I realized not all that long ago that unintentionally, my kids were alphabetical.

Frank
Joey
Kaitlyn
Madelyn...

So maybe a name after the M's...
#57 of 58 Old 06-06-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Cinderella View Post
For a boy we are going with Alexander Lawrence (Lawrence after my father and grandfather)

for a girl we are going with Victoria Grace (Victoria after my MIL). (Grace is still up in the air)
well, we changed our middle names. I wanted both sides of the family represented in both names, so we are going with:

For a boy - Alexander Richard Jackson (Richard after my father and Jackson after his father)

For a girl - Victoria Loren (Victoria is my MIL's middle name and LOR is the beginning of my mother's, my sister's, and my best friends names: Lorna, Lorilei, Lori)

Mommy to: Belle: 01/27/2002, Maggie: 07/22/2008, Daniella, lost @ 9 wks on 06/04/2007, Baby Three Due 1/10/10
#58 of 58 Old 06-06-2009, 04:20 PM

With dd, we figured out her name really early on and struggled and struggled with a boy name. Her name is Robin Christine, and our boy name (tentatively agreed upon while in labor) was Holden Eric.

We are having the same problem now: we easily agree on a few girl names, but can't think of one boy name that stands out to us.

For a girl (and I think it will be a girl) we both really like Nora. Not decided yet on a middle name, but I like Celeste. Neither are family names.

For a boy, I don't know, but we still like Holden, as well as Colin, Russell, and Henry. None stand out as THE NAME, though.

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page