Doctor says NO to prenatal vitamins?! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 77 Old 06-11-2009, 04:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh my gosh yes and that is the best! My parents were considering not keeping anymore animals and give up farming, they are getting older but are understandably very healthy for their ages, and I persuade them not to do this. I remitt to them the taste of store bought eggs and pesticide vegetables shipped from god knows where, and that they must travel over atleast two mountain passes to get here. I tell them their grandchildren must have the farm experience that I had growing up even if it is on a smaller scale. We are also of Choctaw descent and have been farming for centuries after our hunting gathering phase, and I tell them this must certainly be preserved! Planting can be frustrating in a much higher elevation, but through persistance it can be done. I even have a small garden in my back yard. My neighbors worry over their meager grass lawns and I pine over the safety of my seedling beans in the backyard. Guess you just gotta be a farmer...or just eat farm produce to have such a passion!
#62 of 77 Old 06-11-2009, 05:11 PM

Wow Owlpainter - What a wonderful heritage! I am so glad that you have convinced your folks to keep on keepin' on with the farm - - especially in these very uncertain financial times! Maybe you can take a trip home in the spring and fall, and offer your (and their grandkids') help with the planting and harvesting? I agree it would be a wonderful legacy for your children to learn about.

Are there "heirloom" vegetable seeds available in your area that have been handed down, and are therefore more likely to be "hardy" for your altitude? I understand that "local varieties" always do best if planted where they have been traditionally raised.

I kept three 10x10 plots, organically, in a local community garden here for almost ten years. (Until they paved it over for more parking! The "locals" thought I was nuts for being so fastidious about keeping "organic" - - until they saw my Country Gentleman Corn and Kentucky Wonder pole beans! (None of them had even attempted growing corn before!) I miss that garden.
#63 of 77 Old 06-11-2009, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNature View Post
I kept three 10x10 plots, organically, in a local community garden here for almost ten years. (Until they paved it over for more parking! The "locals" thought I was nuts for being so fastidious about keeping "organic" - - until they saw my Country Gentleman Corn and Kentucky Wonder pole beans! (None of them had even attempted growing corn before!) I miss that garden.
awwww, that sounds like a line from that Joni Mitchell song! How sad.

Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.
#64 of 77 Old 06-11-2009, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakeber View Post
awwww, that sounds like a line from that Joni Mitchell song! How sad.
Doesn't it though? (sigh)
#65 of 77 Old 06-11-2009, 07:24 PM

They LITERALLY paved paradise and put up a parking lot...

Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.
#66 of 77 Old 06-11-2009, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaJoAnne View Post
Passing through, and wanted to add something.
Raw milk has the right amount of folic acid in it, if its part of the daily diet.
Can't get any in pasturized, cause its been killed off.
Just thought some might find that of interest.
What's the serving size that meets the right amount of folic acid? I used to get raw milk, but stopped bc it's so expensive. I might have to reconsider.
#67 of 77 Old 06-11-2009, 09:19 PM

Hi Seol Mama!
Good Question!

I know that Uncle Sam, in his "infinite wisdom" has deemed that vitamin supplements must not contain more than 400 mcg of Folic Acid. (I know Adelle Davis was not happy about this.) So unless they made some sort of exception for pre-natals and allow more, I would figure on the 400 mcg per day as the starting/required dose. (But it would be interesting if someone could check a bottle of prenatals to see if they are "pumped up" for folate!)

The USDA has this dandy little tool for finding the nutritional contents of foods - you choose the serving size of whatever you are researching and it will give you the numbers.

Here it is: http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

It might be a handy tool for you to check out the folate content of foods.

This is the search for 1 cup spinach cooked: 263 mcg

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcom...st_nut_edit.pl
EDITAW FOOEY! The engine doesn't "hold" the search!)

So to get the MDR of folic acid by eating cooked spinach, plan on 2 cups per day. (No wonder folks were eating piles of it here!)

Interestingly, of course Uncle Sam doesn't really want us drinking milk that isn't boiled to death, so there is no listing for "milk, raw."

But there IS for "milk, whole" ... which has this abysmal quantity of folate:
only 12 mcg per cup!

(Now, I would REALLY like to know how much is in the RAW, wouldn't you?)

But you may not have to spend cash on raw milk, or take vitamin supplements, if you are willing to eat enough of the foods that provide folate (or folic acid). Happy searching!
#68 of 77 Old 06-11-2009, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNature View Post
Hi Seol Mama!
Good Question!

I know that Uncle Sam, in his "infinite wisdom" has deemed that vitamin supplements must not contain more than 400 mcg of Folic Acid. (I know Adelle Davis was not happy about this.) So unless they made some sort of exception for pre-natals and allow more, I would figure on the 400 mcg per day as the starting/required dose. (But it would be interesting if someone could check a bottle of prenatals to see if they are "pumped up" for folate!)

The USDA has this dandy little tool for finding the nutritional contents of foods - you choose the serving size of whatever you are researching and it will give you the numbers.

Here it is: http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

It might be a handy tool for you to check out the folate content of foods.

This is the search for 1 cup spinach cooked: 263 mcg

EDITAW FOOEY! The engine doesn't "hold" the search!)

So to get the MDR of folic acid by eating cooked spinach, plan on 2 cups per day. (No wonder folks were eating piles of it here!)

Interestingly, of course Uncle Sam doesn't really want us drinking milk that isn't boiled to death, so there is no listing for "milk, raw."

But there IS for "milk, whole" ... which has this abysmal quantity of folate:
only 12 mcg per cup!

(Now, I would REALLY like to know how much is in the RAW, wouldn't you?)

But you may not have to spend cash on raw milk, or take vitamin supplements, if you are willing to eat enough of the foods that provide folate (or folic acid). Happy searching!

Wow, my cup runneth over! I love getting responses chalk full of info - thanks. Very good point about the spinach. I'm assuming it's 2 cups of cooked spinach. Luckily I love the stuff.
#69 of 77 Old 06-12-2009, 02:23 AM

Seoul Mama -

Glad you liked it!

Also FYI 1 large hard boiled egg has 22 mcg of folate.
(I'm surprised, I thought it was more!)

Leafy greens are "known for" folate or folic acid. One of my favorites, Swiss Chard, has 16 mcgs of folate in 1 cooked cup! Kale has 17 mcgs of folate in 1 cup; but cooked sliced BEETS have 68 mcgs of folate in just a HALF cup!

One of my favorite garden inspired "old time" luncheon recipes is steamed swiss chard topped with a poached egg - amazing combination!

So noodle around and take a look at the foods you will likely eat - then decide if it's more expensive to eat those, or just buy a bottle of B-50 complex. Your choice and Best Luck!
#70 of 77 Old 06-12-2009, 04:32 AM

Just saw this on New Posts, and I thought I'd mention something, regarding Vitamin D. If you live in a Northern-ish climate (say, mid-Oregon or above, if I had to estimate), you really will need some sort of Vitamin D supplement, unless you eat a lot of stuff that the VAST majority of us A: don't eat, and B: can't afford enough of anyway. My dd just had her blood drawn for a number of things, and coming off of a Seattle fall-winter-spring, she had a severe Vit D deficiency, so much so that she had to go on a Rx Vit D of 50,000iu/week.

I'm planning on ttc next month, and I'm going in soon to get a workup to see what I'm deficient in (I eat like crap when I don't feel good, which is more often than it should be, which is almost certainly a causation spiral...)

One of my good friends who recently had a baby got a lot of very good use out of her prenatal vitamins. She had HG (like m/s on hyperdrive), and for months, all she could keep down was a few slices of turkey and a cheeseburger (this was over the space of several days sometimes), and her prenatal vitamin. She just took a whole food PNV about an hour after her anti-constant-pukey meds, and it probably saved her and her baby a lot of problems, nutritionally.

scifi-convention runners Kate, DH Drew 11/07, DD Cora 12/97. We , ,
Welcome to baby Fiona with a giant omphalocele, 6/17/10!
#71 of 77 Old 06-12-2009, 02:03 PM

[QUOTE=CorasMama;13924994]Just saw this on New Posts, and I thought I'd mention something, regarding Vitamin D. If you live in a Northern-ish climate (say, mid-Oregon or above, if I had to estimate), you really will need some sort of Vitamin D supplement, unless you eat a lot of stuff that the VAST majority of us A: don't eat, and B: can't afford enough of anyway. My dd just had her blood drawn for a number of things, and coming off of a Seattle fall-winter-spring, she had a severe Vit D deficiency, so much so that she had to go on a Rx Vit D of 50,000iu/week.

I'm planning on ttc next month, and I'm going in soon to get a workup to see what I'm deficient in (I eat like crap when I don't feel good, which is more often than it should be, which is almost certainly a causation spiral...)

QUOTE]

Thanks for this CorasMama; This is the second person I have heard of this year whose Doc recommended (what we might normally consider to be) "huge" doses of Vitamin D. Unfortunately, that other person wound up with a diagnosis of breast cancer... and is in an awful battle right now.

I have tried a few of brands of Cod Liver Oil (best supplemental source for D3), and definitely prefer the Carlson Labs brand - for it's obviously noted effects. (Esp. on DB who can suffer skin problems in winter.)

CorasMama I think it's a GREAT idea to run blood work before you conceive, to check for any underlying nutritional deficiencies. But you should be aware that it may take several weeks to resolve any deficiencies that you may find, with supplements, or food. So I hope that if that happens, you might delay TTC until your body is better prepared to take on the challenge. (In fact, I expect this would only increase your chances for conception!)

Now that it's summer, a few more words on sunbathing, which will supply to your body its most valuable and useful source of Vitamin D. As you may have noted in my original comments above, your body can make a lot of vitamin D in one day at the beach. (Estimated at up to 400,000 iu!) HOWEVER, Adelle Davis and now, Dr. Mercola (www.mercola.com) have both admonished against bathing with SOAP immediately after sunbathing - and for good reason! When our bodies produce vitamin D it does so by creating it in the natural oils on our skin - and over several days, reabosorbs the products of that exposure to light. Therefore do not bathe or shower using soap (at least, not on the "most exposed" parts of your body). Instead, allow your body the time it absorb the oils with its newly made vitamin D,(which can take up to 3 days), by simply rinsing with plain water.

Please do NOT use sunscreens - as the unpronounceable chemicals can be absorbed into your bloodstream too! (Instead, try to plan to sensitise your body gradually to take more exposure - and, alternatively, plan to cover up (or retreat.)

Adelle Davis' books alerted me to the idea that we should never put anything on our skin, that we could not EAT. (Because of this absorption factor!) Therefore, many years ago this sun-worshipper switched from baby oil based tanners to Almond Oil, Apricot Kernel Oil and now, pure virgin coconut oil (with its heavenly scent!).

One can cook with any of these oils - but the food-grade coconut oil, available in the cooking oil section of many health food stores, is my current favorite. Keep it in your cooler at the beach and smooth it on as it warms and melts - what fun! And you can make a DANDY "coconut shrimp" by frying them dipped in beaten egg white, and rolled in a mixture of unsweetened coconut & panko crumbs, then frying them lightly in a couple of melted tablespoons of the coconut oil. (DB's FAVE!)
#72 of 77 Old 06-15-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaJoAnne View Post
Passing through, and wanted to add something.
Raw milk has the right amount of folic acid in it, if its part of the daily diet.
Can't get any in pasturized, cause its been killed off.
Just thought some might find that of interest.
Awesome. I drink lots of milk from our goats each day. I seldom, if ever, get muscle cramps, and I just plain feel good while pregnant. I think I'll blame the goats!

Kelli, Upstate NY mama, dh FarmBoy, raising 6:, his, mine, and ours.

#73 of 77 Old 06-16-2009, 08:06 PM

wow, I was offline for a while and what a great conversation took place

I crave milk lately. And I don't get restless legs. Unless I eat sugar.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#74 of 77 Old 06-17-2009, 07:25 AM

Lelailu - Nice to see you back! Interesting that you make the correlation between "restless legs" and sugar.
#75 of 77 Old 06-17-2009, 07:38 AM

BTW, for those who might be concerned about my sources, or "copyright" infringement, there is this from Wikipedia on Adelle Davis, whose books, unfortunately, are out of print. (First time I have wikied her!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adelle_Davis

I especially like this entry from the References section:

Time, "The High Priestess of Nutrition", December 18, 1972

I know that Davis had said near the end of her life that, "against her better judgment," she had submitted to full-body x-rays "in order to obtain a life insurance policy." The x-rays showed she was cancer free. A few years later, she developed cancer.
#76 of 77 Old 06-19-2009, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seoul_mama View Post
What's the serving size that meets the right amount of folic acid? I used to get raw milk, but stopped bc it's so expensive. I might have to reconsider.

Hi SeoulMama!

I just found this article posted to another thread here regarding folic acid needs in pregnancy. The recommendation IS higher - 600mcg to 1,000 mcg! (That's a LOT of spinach folks!)

http://www.womenshealthcaretopics.co..._Pregnancy.htm
#77 of 77 Old 08-24-2009, 01:15 PM
Banned

Its depend, vitamins need sometimes our body to prevent cancer, but mostly we perfect eating and excersice. proton therapy prostate cancer

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page