Bead Swap Group Info!! (PLEASE STICKY ME) - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 54 Old 05-29-2009, 02:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I love the idea! I'm only 4 weeks, though, so I'd like to wait a bit before I commit, until after I'm less likely to miscarry.
#32 of 54 Old 05-29-2009, 02:59 AM

I would love to see some pictures of the necklaces you mamas have made if you dont mind sharing!
#33 of 54 Old 05-29-2009, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmzbm View Post
Well, we all pay our own shipping, so if you are willing it should be ok!
I know but I guess...I mean...is there a way to do international stamped address envelopes, seeieng as there is no US post office here and I don't think The US psotal service will deliver something with Costa Rican postage stamps on it from the states TO costa rica...maybe I could pay pal you RoseRed for the cost before hand and you could send it?

Has anyone here ever tried SASEs overseas?

Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.
#34 of 54 Old 05-29-2009, 03:47 AM

I'll take any excuse to go shopping at the bead store

I'm in. Sounds like a lot of fun!

Mama to DD (5) DD (3) and DS (2 months)
#35 of 54 Old 05-29-2009, 09:11 AM

In the Feb '08 group, we did a 2nd tri swap, 3rd tri swap, and bead swap. I think the bead swap would be great for the 2nd tri (and it gives us time to get to know one another, too).

The way we did it is that everyone mailed their beads to one person, who made the necklaces and then mailed them back to people. We used a yahoogroup, too, and it worked great.

I'm definitely in! I wore my necklace until I got to the point where I took everything off!

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
#36 of 54 Old 05-29-2009, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheelimama View Post
I would love to do it. But do you think we should wait until we are out of the first trimester. I'm sure there will be more moms joining us in the next month as they get past the shock or learn of their pregnancies (I'm sure not everyone finds out immediately and/or immediately joins a DDC) and we will also probably, sadly, lose a few more mamas before the month is out. I think it will be awesome, but just think we might want to wait another month or two for sign-ups (minimum) since people who join later will be really bummed that they missed out.
My last DDC started it early, maybe only a week or two later than this. I joined but actually lost when I was in the second trimester. By having a group fromed now you are not discluding people. The actual trade won't take place for some time, but by having a group people think about it and have time as to what to decide. I think its better to start a group now. No one has to buy or send yet, but you can start looking. Also, I was going to set the group up with a few different admins, so if something happens there is a back-up as to who takes over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganbarr View Post
I definately think we should wait until everyone has reached their second trimester. Also, I was looking through some other DDCs and we will have to set up a yahoo group to exchange info because of MDC policies.

I can set up the yahoo group and ask for it to be stickied when the time comes, unless someone else wants to.

I am definately going to start looking for cool beads now, there is SOOO much to be excited about during pregnancy!: Now if I could just get off the couch.....
Am I an invisible poster?? I already mentioned I would do this in my post at the bottom of page one. And, I actually think we can set it up and sticky it now so people can join. You don't have to use it untill the time comes, and gets people thinking about what they would buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakeber View Post
I know but I guess...I mean...is there a way to do international stamped address envelopes, seeieng as there is no US post office here and I don't think The US psotal service will deliver something with Costa Rican postage stamps on it from the states TO costa rica...maybe I could pay pal you RoseRed for the cost before hand and you could send it?

Has anyone here ever tried SASEs overseas?
I used to collect Rainbow Brite dolls. I shipped and recieved things from all over the world. We can do more research on this for you. But with my experience shipping internationaly It should NOT be a problem.

Bec, Married eternally to Dan for ten years. Parents to A (8/17/06) O (12/30/09) one love lost (2/07/09) and my little twin angels (9/24/11, 10/11/11)

#37 of 54 Old 05-29-2009, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Alright everyone I set up a group through Yahoo. If you are interested in taking part in this please PM me your adress so I can send you an invite, otherwise go here http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Jan2010BeadSwap
You can join from now to Aug. 1st 2009 when the swap will be taking place.
Feel free to join now, or wait the choice is yours. Anyone in our DDC is invited to join!! The group is set up on an approval basis so PLEASE Include your screen name in your join request. I don't want to miss any one.

As mentioned before the swap will take place in Aug 2009, all information regarding rules, requirments and where to send will be available through the group.

As I have a history of loss as do many other mamas on this board I will be making a few different admins to the group. Also if you choose not to join until you hear your LO heart beat and pas that magic 12 week mark that is perfectly fine.

I am so excited for this bead Swap! I Hope you are too!!!

Bec, Married eternally to Dan for ten years. Parents to A (8/17/06) O (12/30/09) one love lost (2/07/09) and my little twin angels (9/24/11, 10/11/11)

#38 of 54 Old 05-29-2009, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Alright, I started the group Info is in OP and PP.

I put the close date as Aug 2009 but think it might need to be pushed back a month.

Thoughts???

#39 of 54 Old 05-29-2009, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I love this idea! I'll definitely have to learn how to do this and where these beads are and what they look like. That sounds stupid, but I guess I'm not sure where one buys a really special bead for something like this.
#40 of 54 Old 05-29-2009, 01:43 PM

I love this idea. There's something special knowing that the women who've been through the ups & downs of pregnancy are thinking of me in labor/early baby days... I just love it. I'll join the group a little later when I get some good news, but I can't wait

'curly girl' regina married to my man since 7/99 , SAHM to my DS (2/06) (12/08) a new to love! (11/09)
#41 of 54 Old 05-29-2009, 02:06 PM

Rose Red- I think Aug is a perfect time for the swap. That lets everyone who is due at the end of Jan to get into the second trimester. It also gives others time to join who may not know or may not be sharing about their pregnancies yet. Thank you for setting all of this up for us, Im very excited about it!
#42 of 54 Old 05-29-2009, 03:06 PM

I'll join after I hear the heartbeat (hopefully on June 26th!)

Mulvah- (LOL, love your name) I just wandered around a bead store and looked at the beads until I found one that looked perfect- last time it was a glass bead in the shape of a heart, with different swirls of color in the center, near the hole. I bet you can find something perfect if you look through a Joann Fabrics store, or maybe you will stumble across a really neat old necklace at a garage sale that can be taken apart. We've got until August, so we've got some time to look carefully, and think about what is really "us," you know? My bead was very "me," and I know another woman who made her beads with Filo clay, and they were all "hippie-dippy" and flowers and were totally her.

I still have my necklace, and while I don't remember all of the people who sent beads, I still love to hold it and look at it. Gianna loves to play dress-up with it now- I tell her that I wore it when she was born (for the C-section mama who asked, I wore it when I was in surgery!) I still had it on from the transfer, and I remember a tech whispered to the nurse who was by my head, giving me the run-down of what was happening, "What about that thing?" and pointing to my necklace. The nurse told her, "Don't worry about it." When I see it in the few pictures after Gianna was back in my arms, it's very comforting!

Mama to a beautiful little girl, born July 18, 2007
Eager for a VBAC some time around April 10, 2010!
#43 of 54 Old 05-29-2009, 08:53 PM

This sounds like a really fun idea! I want to do everything this pregnancy that I didn't do the last time (treasure it), so I will be in. :
#44 of 54 Old 05-31-2009, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Alright then! I will keep it at August :

#45 of 54 Old 05-31-2009, 04:36 PM

I would love tio do this ....ellascow's membership is pending.

Mom of many minions . . . babyf.gif jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif
"And when our baby stirs and struggles to be born it compels humility: what we began is now its own." Margaret Mead 
#46 of 54 Old 06-05-2009, 09:02 AM

I don't know anything about jewlery and am atrocious at being creative--but what the heck.

Crunchy con wife with 1 DS and 1 lil DD born in Jan. I love breastfeeding, CDing and Friday night family bed.
#47 of 54 Old 06-05-2009, 05:29 PM

I would love to join. I was hesitant b/c of the issues with my pregnancy, but I want to join and participate no matter what. I'm hoping to have a necklace to remember my pregnancy days on MDC, but no matter what, I'll have something to always remember my bean and the support I received!

-K
#48 of 54 Old 06-08-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmzbm View Post
I've always wanted to do this BUT...can c-section moms participate? Obviously, no labor for me...but it would still be nice!

You are still birthing a baby, just in a different way.

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#49 of 54 Old 06-08-2009, 11:58 PM

Im very interested in this, just wanted to know more information. Id like to sign up! I bead bracelets, and mostly bead jewelry for horses, but I have expanded, so would love to get involved here and make someone something beautiful! Please let me know how to get involved!

*Patty*

Wife to DH (2 yrs)~ Momma to Boo (DS,3 yrs)~ and momma to be of DD (1/29/10) Love life and love crafting (beaded jewelry maker and doll maker)
#50 of 54 Old 06-11-2009, 11:09 AM

sounds like a lovely idea. count me in! i joined the group and am pending approval.

Mama to a 3 year old awesome kid, Rowan (aka Mister Boopy) and TTC another at 43!

fambedsingle1.gif gd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif vbac.gif goorganic.jpg

Herbalist, Acupuncture student, Mama, Blogger!

#51 of 54 Old 07-12-2009, 07:19 PM

What a great idea! We did one of these for a friend of mine when she was pregnant. I'm in!

Christina, mom to Alaina, Addison, Noah, and Magdalyn
#52 of 54 Old 07-13-2009, 02:58 AM

I think it's a great idea too and I'm in

Married 12/08 to Chilean DH and mama to DD 2/2/10. We're a bilingual home and we familybed1.gif and toddler.gif

Expecting #2 in late June!

#53 of 54 Old 07-20-2009, 07:48 PM

sounds awesome...count me in

Liz ~wife to an amazing man~mama to 2 beautiful sons~trodding through babylon~ loving JAH~rainbow1284.gif

#54 of 54 Old 07-20-2009, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've signed up on yahoo and it said it was pending, but that was almost a week ago. Anything else I need to do?

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page