really mean comment - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 06-11-2009, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i went back to work a few days ago, have been off for couple of weeks because the sickness was so bad,

when i visited the doctor i was deyhdrated and hadn't been able to keep food down at all and he suggested i take some anti-sickness pills. I am wary about taking pills but i was desperate for some relief from being sick all time and he assured me that they are safe and often prescribed for pregnancy sickness, so i left with a prescription and really im grateful because they have worked enough that i can go back to work and function like a normal person, plus i am keeping my water and some food down and that means i won't end up in hospital

anyway when my work collegue saw me taking a pill at work,
she commented that she would never take anything when she was pregnant
i responded telling her it was anti-sickness tablet that doctor gave me for the pregnancy sickness and she went on to call me selfish and tell me that when she was pregnant she didnt' take anything and infact ended up in hospital because she would just never take any kind of pills

its made me feel guilty and really i hadn't given those pills much thought because i trust my doctor won't give me something i don't need or that would harm the baby

JOOLS

29/07/09...baby Samson, lost at 16 weeks.
with DH for 6 years, looking for lots of sticky baby dust for our baby.
#2 of 17 Old 06-11-2009, 08:59 AM

She put her fear of pills ahead of her and baby and endangered the both of them by getting put in the hospital (with hospital germies)--so the IV is better then? Shame on her.

And shame on her for thinking it is better that you malnourish yourself and baby--and end up in hospital, with IV, like she did.

Not to mention what exhaustion and no food/drink does to your immune system and hospitals are full of germies.

Do what you got to do--YOU'RE THE MOMMY!

Crunchy con wife with 1 DS and 1 lil DD born in Jan. I love breastfeeding, CDing and Friday night family bed.
#3 of 17 Old 06-11-2009, 09:08 AM

jools - i'm so sorry that lady was being such a jerk! it frustrates me to no end that being pregnant somehow makes people think it's open season to say whatever they want.

inflammatory topics aside, i think "a woman's right to choose" includes choosing to take medicines during pg. making sure you stay healthy for your baby is REALLY IMPORTANT, and for this woman to imply it's not is irresponsible of her. (not to mention, it's NOT HER BUSINESS AT ALL.)

do you have to be around this woman? it seems like she has a lot of negative energy and it might be better to avoid her!

-beth

rainbow1284.gifbeth  stillheart.gifDW   blahblah.gif DD  Nov. 2009 and 1sttri.gif due Feb. 2013

#4 of 17 Old 06-11-2009, 09:44 AM

Your co-worker is a fool. You are not. I second everything the two ladies above said: how dumb to avoid all pills and end up in A&E. Not everything is bad for you in pregnancy! I would avoid her if I were you... But then again with my pregnancy hormones, I'd be likely to go off on one at her sooner or later if that was how she chose to behave!

*HUGE hugs* mama XXX

Mama to Josie , lost 10/10/08 at 37.4 weeks .
and my rainbow baby, Isobella Mai ...born 1/12/2010 ! in profile...
#5 of 17 Old 06-11-2009, 09:52 AM

I think I'd have to politely let her know that her opinion or experience was not asked for. And to hang on to it until it was!

Jeepers! She must be one of those "I've btdt, so let me tell you about it" type of woman! :

I used to work with that type years ago. I was very young, fresh out of school, and these old bitties would delight in trying to give me all of their "wisdoms".

No thank you, unless it's asked for. I have a brain, and am not afraid to use it.
#6 of 17 Old 06-11-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlmueller View Post
She put her fear of pills ahead of her and baby and endangered the both of them by getting put in the hospital (with hospital germies)--so the IV is better then? Shame on her.

And shame on her for thinking it is better that you malnourish yourself and baby--and end up in hospital, with IV, like she did.

Not to mention what exhaustion and no food/drink does to your immune system and hospitals are full of germies.

Do what you got to do--YOU'RE THE MOMMY!
Here! Here!
Couldnt have put it better myself

Sorry you had to go through that but Jay is right, avoid her.

Bec, Married eternally to Dan for ten years. Parents to A (8/17/06) O (12/30/09) one love lost (2/07/09) and my little twin angels (9/24/11, 10/11/11)

#7 of 17 Old 06-11-2009, 10:39 AM

Agree with everyone else, your coworker is an idiot. Seriously, she's proud of herself that she ended up in the hospital because she was so ignorant to not take medicine, and she had the nerve to call you selfish. Hun, please don't feel guilty because of her ridiculous comments. You have to do what you feel is best for yourself and your baby.
#8 of 17 Old 06-11-2009, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

thanku its kind of a relief to know that not everything thinks im a monster for taking these pills,
it really made me question my judgement, because i thought maybe i was being selfish but i really feel like my baby will be getting more norashment now that i can eat something and i really want to avoid getting so bad that i end up in hospital,

i can avoid her to an extent, she is only part time, and shes older so im thinking maybe when she had her kids things where diffrent, maybe there wheren't any safe anti-sickness pills,

but, i have this feeling that my temper will get the better of me if i here another bitchy comment from her, because i feel like i have PMS anyway lol

Jools

#9 of 17 Old 06-11-2009, 08:43 PM

the anti-nausea meds are fine for you, your doc knows what s/he's doing, and that woman is a class-act moron! HOW can you brag that you ended up in the hospital because you wouldn't take care of yourself & your baby? Anyways, ditto all the comments here, and be aware that with the bloom of pregnancy begins an onslaught of unwanted advice that continues til... oh wait, for as long as you're a mother!

'curly girl' regina married to my man since 7/99 , SAHM to my DS (2/06) (12/08) a new to love! (11/09)
#10 of 17 Old 06-11-2009, 09:08 PM

I have to say, first of all that I love reading your posts. My husband is from ******* (Blantyre) and so when I read your posts I can hear your accent, and I just almost fell offmy chair laughing at this boastful women with her edinburgh accent braggin' about what an idjeet she was!

I had a woman I worked with Argentina tell me the B vitamins I was taking were dangerous to the baby so early on in pregnancy. I said, "well they make me feel less nauseous, so I think they will be okay."

She says "You're supposed to be sick! That's how you know your baby is healthy, the sicker you get the better the baby will be."

I was so floored by her "wisdom" I almost peed myself laughing. Then when I realized she was serious I just backed away from the crazy lady nice and slow so as not to make her jumpy.

Obviously, your coworker is not too bright. She reminds me of my MIL's attitude...Och, weesht ya bloody moanerr! Life is pain, an' sackarrrrrifaiz an' all, git yoosta it, hen! It is one thing to suck up being without certain drugs that actually could harm the baby...anti nausea pills won't.

You are very clever to find a way to get nutrition to the baby when your body won't cooperate.

Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.
#11 of 17 Old 06-11-2009, 09:54 PM

She might not be able to understand that your nausea and vomiting was so severe that you were dehydrated. Dehydration is a sure fire way to cause a miscarriage. I hate to just write her off entirely, but she does sound a bit thick.

You owe no explanation. You are truly doing what is best for you in your situation. But, if she happens to speak up again, or if you feel the need, explain to her the relationship between dehydration and miscarriage.

Momma to DS 1, age 8 and rainbow baby DS2 4-21-11.
#12 of 17 Old 06-11-2009, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

thanks thats a good point about dehydration and misicarige, and i know deyhydration is dangerous for anyone when they are not pregnant so obviously its going to be bad for the baby to be like that during pregnancy,

Jools

#13 of 17 Old 06-11-2009, 10:37 PM

not in your DDC but i saw your title and wanted to give you a I also took medicine to help me not vomit my way through the day. you are absolutely doing the right thing! if she says anything again barf on her. that might help her understand.

my aunt was in the hospital for months b/c she was so sick during her pg. she would think your friend is nuts too. if the pills had worked for her she would have been thrilled... she hated being in the hospital on the IV!!
#14 of 17 Old 06-11-2009, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
if she says anything again barf on her. that might help her understand.
thanku this made me laugh out loud

#15 of 17 Old 06-12-2009, 01:59 AM

If she refused to take any "pills" I wonder what all they did for her at the hospital. "Oh, I'm here because I'm terribly ill, but make sure you don't give me medicine of any sort!"

If she was that dehydrated that she needed fluids, I imagine the doctors would have suggested doing something about the cause of the dehydration.
#16 of 17 Old 06-12-2009, 02:46 AM

LadyJools - Congrats on getting your nausea under control - and pay no attention to that co-worker. You are "surviving the joys."

You may want to take a look at the thread in this section entitled "Doc says NO to pre-natal vitamins." We've been discussing the aspects of pregnancy and nutrition over there. BTW one of my girlfriends who suffered your problem said watermelon was quite agreeable.

Best luck, Hon. Hang in there!
#17 of 17 Old 06-12-2009, 04:36 PM
Dea

WHAT anti nausea pills??? Sign me up.
So in all seriousness, your co worker is mean. Mean people suck. I hope she had a good time in the hospital, enjoying her martyrdom.

Deadra, Wife to Adam , Mama to Beatrix (02/08), Hudson (01/10), and Mazarine (12/13)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page