Fitness Motivation Thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 68 Old 06-14-2009, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Who's with me?

I am sick and tired of being sick and tired and I'm going to get my rear off the couch and get moving. Whether it is a slow walk around the block or many quick laps in the pool I want to move this body every (or very nearly every) day.

Lets be accountable to each other. Post your goals or plans and your daily/weekly/monthly workouts here - no matter how gentle or intense - and we'll cheer each other on for the next 7 or 8 months!

J+B = Little G (1/08) and baby S (1/10)
#2 of 68 Old 06-14-2009, 05:13 PM

Last pregnancy, I took up belly dancing It was soooooo fun!!! I started as soon as I found out I was PG, and it was fun to watch my belly grow ans my dancing progressed. I totally recomend it! The moves are a great way to feel good about yourself and keep toned. I henna'd my belly too!

This time around, I'm working on slowing things down a little. I've been training horses and riding regularly, as well as gardening and other farm chores. But I'm exhausted!! I tend to lose weight in the beginning of my PG's, but because I'm breastfeeding, I'm thinking I need to slow down for a bit so baby gets enough calories. I think once I'm into my second trimester, I will do a little swimming and my bellydance dvd at home. Swimming is wonderful when you are PG, especially if your feeling sore/achy, and tired. The water supports you, adds resistance to your movements, cools you down, refreshes you, and helps take pressure of your joints, even if its only for half an hour. Try to find a pool that uses a salt based cleaning system, instead of chlorine if possible. We only have chlorine in my small town but some of you may have better luck

A little yoga each morning or evening is also great for your circulation. It will also keep you bendy enough that you may even be able to tie your shoes in your third trimester, or even shave your legs if you do that kind of thing.

Keep on movin, mama's!

Placenta eating EC mom to my sweet DS Skyy 08/24/08 and Lotus Birth HBAC DD Aspen 01/13/2010 Healed by her birth
#3 of 68 Old 06-14-2009, 05:39 PM

I am with you! I was so fatigued the past few weeks and I found that even a moderate walk made me feel so much better. Afterwards I was so refreshed and alert that I could then function the rest of the day! I have even gotten back on my jogging schedule...much less rigorous now... and feel like a champ again. It is just getting off that couch that is the biggest obstacle, because when your tired, walking is obviously the last thing you want to do. It has also helped me sleep better! Three cheers for jog/walking! :::
#4 of 68 Old 06-14-2009, 06:02 PM

I'd love to do belly dancing. I wonder if there's a video I could learn from? I swam during my last pregnancy, but with a two year old, I just don't think it'll be realistic for me to get away that much. I'm probably the only one on MDC who doesn't like yoga. And running hurts my knees. So I'm still looking for something for me. Preferably something I can do with my toddler. We'll see if I can find something. Suggestions?
#5 of 68 Old 06-14-2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boigrrrlwonder View Post
I'd love to do belly dancing. I wonder if there's a video I could learn from? I swam during my last pregnancy, but with a two year old, I just don't think it'll be realistic for me to get away that much. I'm probably the only one on MDC who doesn't like yoga. And running hurts my knees. So I'm still looking for something for me. Preferably something I can do with my toddler. We'll see if I can find something. Suggestions?
Don't underestimate walking! Its a great exercise. I try to walk at least twice a day (3 dogs helps with that) and dh encourages me to work out with him. I have been really sick this past week though so I am looking forward to being able to do something...anything... So I am right there with you once standing up doesn't cause me to puke!

Novel writing student Mama to ds (8y) and new DD 1-13-10.

#6 of 68 Old 06-14-2009, 10:05 PM

I am trying to walk around the neighborhood every day for about a half hour or more, weather permitting. My kids love to take walks & play outside. I find that if I can do that, I feel much better after getting sunshine & the kids take a much better nap! So that's what I'm planning on doing.
#7 of 68 Old 06-14-2009, 11:18 PM

:

Ok, I am trying to not be eating the junk and doing a bit of walking.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#8 of 68 Old 06-15-2009, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Hi All! So glad everyone is here.

Belly dancing sounds fun. Never tried it but I can imagine it'd be great during pregnancy.

Boigirlwonder - I don't know if you do strollers but if I didn't have my jogger I wouldn't have exercised for the past 1.5 years. I rarely exercise if my babe isn't with me. Double jogger here I come. I am going to have to enlist the husband a bit more than usual though because I really want to get out and bike and swim.

Today's workout: 3 mile jog - hard but felt good.

#9 of 68 Old 06-15-2009, 02:01 PM

I need this! I am definitely heavier starting off than I should be, so my goal is to do something 5 out of 7 days a week. Yesterday I walked 2 miles on the treadmill (would love to do it outside, but not when it is 98 degrees!!!). I hope to do the same today.

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
#10 of 68 Old 06-15-2009, 02:48 PM

Yeah, I am not into strollers in general, but my double jogging stroller is a god send when it comes to keeping me in shape. I found it at a thrift shop for $50 and it has paid for itself a hundred times over. I still wear my two-year-old, when he'll let me, but he tends to tolerate the stroller for our long walks. I also try to walk/jog in the afternoon, d/s naptime so it works out great because he usually falls asleep. I live in a cooler climate so I should be able to keep this afternoon schedule all summer!
#11 of 68 Old 06-15-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaBaby1 View Post
Today's workout: 3 mile jog - hard but felt good.
Oh my word, you put me to shame!!!

I was going to the gym and/or walking about daily until about week 5...and now I am so drained and nauseas I can hardly get through a work day. I've been trying to move as much as I can without pushing myself to getting sick. I planted my garden, and have done a little walking. Once this worst part is over I will be out walking, back to the gym for some strength stuff and treadmill, elliptical, or bike.

Mama to a beautiful baby girl born 01/21/2010
#12 of 68 Old 06-15-2009, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEcatlady17 View Post
Oh my word, you put me to shame!!!

I was going to the gym and/or walking about daily until about week 5...and now I am so drained and nauseas I can hardly get through a work day. I've been trying to move as much as I can without pushing myself to getting sick. I planted my garden, and have done a little walking. Once this worst part is over I will be out walking, back to the gym for some strength stuff and treadmill, elliptical, or bike.
This is excellent!

- No shame, None, No way! I felt good this morning and I could manage it (slowly) and running has been part of my routine for a long time. But, for the past few weeks a slow crawl from the bedroom to the living room was about the extent of my forward movement. We all have to take it a day at a time!

#13 of 68 Old 06-15-2009, 06:04 PM

Great thread! I have been soooooo tired the past 3 or 4 weeks that I have barely done any workouts. Before I was pregnant, I exercised regularly. I relaly wanted to keep it up during my pregnancy. Today was one of the first days where I woke up & didn't feel like a zombie. My goal is to do some type of physical activity 5 days per week where my heartrate is getting up for at least 40 mins.

Today, I did a strength training DVD.

freethinking mom to DD 4/2006 and DS 1/2010
#14 of 68 Old 06-15-2009, 07:27 PM

Just got back from the gym - did 25 minutes on the bike, 10 minutes on the elliptical and some strength training. Also walked ds the mile to the babysitter's this morning and will likely do so again shortly to pick him up.

#15 of 68 Old 06-17-2009, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter

Great job ladies!

Today's workout: Taught ballet class.

The rest of this week is crazy busy so it is going to be challenging to fit exercise in, but gotta do it! Keep me honest.

#16 of 68 Old 06-17-2009, 11:51 AM

2 days in a row for me! Woot woot! I was working out pre-pregnancy and even after the BFP, until nausea hit me at 6 weeks and just waylaid me. Since then I have been lucky to make it 2-3 times/week. Nothing for the past 2 weeks.

So I did some good yoga (worked up a sweat) on Monday and then yesterday I did the xfitmom.com workout of the day. I am not up to the Crossfit workouts on the main site. Still sick...

This thread has been great motivation for me! :

Mama to monkey #1 , monkey #2 , and new little monkey #3 . I am always :yawning and making lots of
#17 of 68 Old 06-17-2009, 12:58 PM

I finally got my new bike (my *beloved* bike got stolen 3 weeks ago...) so i've been able to bike to work again!!! it's 3 miles each way, with one big hill on the way home. hopefully the weather will stay nice and i can keep it up!

rainbow1284.gifbeth  stillheart.gifDW   blahblah.gif DD  Nov. 2009 and 1sttri.gif due Feb. 2013

#18 of 68 Old 06-17-2009, 06:28 PM

Good job everyone!!

Yesterday I did a 3 mile walk on the hill program on my treadmill. I kept my HR up between 150 - 160 for about 35 minutes of it.

Today I did a full body strength training DVD.

freethinking mom to DD 4/2006 and DS 1/2010
#19 of 68 Old 06-18-2009, 12:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie79 View Post
2 days in a row for me!
Celebrating with you. Doesn't it feel better to move again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoabethy View Post
I finally got my new bike (my *beloved* bike got stolen 3 weeks ago...) so i've been able to bike to work again!!! it's 3 miles each way, with one big hill on the way home. hopefully the weather will stay nice and i can keep it up!
Awesome Beth! I have to get outside before 8am if I want to survive the heat, so enjoy your bike and your weather for me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaytonPlace View Post
Good job everyone!!

Yesterday I did a 3 mile walk on the hill program on my treadmill. I kept my HR up between 150 - 160 for about 35 minutes of it.

Today I did a full body strength training DVD.
Way to go!

AFM: Today was more busy movement than workout, but I did 2 hours of power cleaning - that counts for something right ? Then I took the kiddo on a brisk walk and did a wee bit of yard work after that. I woke up so sick today and I honestly just wanted to spend the day in bed, but I decided to get to work and I had such a productive day and I'm much happier and I'm sure I felt better for it.

Keep up the good work!

#20 of 68 Old 06-18-2009, 01:16 AM

wow you go ladies! I'm lucky if I manage 1 workout a week. I just don't seem to find any free time. UGH! I can't exercise in the afternoon/evening, simply no energy. But our mornings are insanely hectic.
#21 of 68 Old 06-18-2009, 01:06 PM

I am doing my jog/walk atleast 3 times a week! Hopefully I am passed all the queasiness foginess. I am feeling energized. Hang in there ladies who are still suffering from m/s! It can't last forever!
#22 of 68 Old 06-19-2009, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owlpainter View Post
I am doing my jog/walk atleast 3 times a week! Hopefully I am passed all the queasiness foginess. I am feeling energized. Hang in there ladies who are still suffering from m/s! It can't last forever!
I think you're a couple of weeks ahead of me, so I hope hope hope I'm over this queasy/foggy bit then - glad you are! Yesterday was my "rest" day in terms of exercise because I had to be gone all day. This morning I walked and I'm planning on doing some strength training later today.

Keep it up ladies.

#23 of 68 Old 06-22-2009, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Walked this morning. Need to do something a little more strenuous... feeling a little depression creep in.

Husband and I are in the early stages of our own business (busy!), the house is a mess, and I'm completely worn out. It's time for some focus, some energy, and some serious action. I'm getting on it - now!

#24 of 68 Old 06-25-2009, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

So how's everyone doing? Check in time!

I'm headed out the door now for a gentle jog.

#25 of 68 Old 06-25-2009, 01:49 PM

still biking to work! 6mi. a day with a steep hill on the way home. i'm tired when i get home, but it's a great way to start off/end the work day.

rainbow1284.gifbeth  stillheart.gifDW   blahblah.gif DD  Nov. 2009 and 1sttri.gif due Feb. 2013

#26 of 68 Old 06-25-2009, 03:52 PM

Still walking about two miles a day and working out at the gym three days a week. Work has also picked up so add cleaning about three hotel rooms a day to that tally. (I don't know how I am going to make a bed when I am huge)

#27 of 68 Old 06-25-2009, 04:49 PM

still working it...about 4-5 days a week

Mama to monkey #1 , monkey #2 , and new little monkey #3 . I am always :yawning and making lots of
#28 of 68 Old 06-26-2009, 11:44 AM

I went to my first cardio aqua-fit class last night.

It was great!

I was a little skeptical, I thought that it was going to be all "old ladies" but there were quite a few of us young ones too!

I have a new Thursday night activity.

Go Ladies!

charlene
#29 of 68 Old 06-26-2009, 01:17 PM

Well, I have been sidelined for the past week due to a summer cold that seems not to want to let go. I guess it is pretty good timing because the weather has been rainy and unreasonable as well. I am thinking about borrowing my sister's elipticycle, anyone use one of these before. I need something to keep in shape when the snow flies here in Colorado.
#30 of 68 Old 06-26-2009, 02:54 PM

I used to have an elliptical in my house and I thought it was great. The only thing I didn't like about it was that I couldn't read while working out because of all the up-down motion so I got bored really fast because I don't watch TV either. But that's my only complaint! Its a great workout.

P.S. I'm in Wyoming and SO tired of all this rain too :, hopefully it will be letting up pretty soon.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page