The names of your current kids... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 49 Old 06-30-2009, 11:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Asa James
Asa was decided on long before there was ever a baby, actually probably before we were married. As a boys name, it means healer. I read it in a book, and we were at some sort of blue grass thing in a church in the NEK of Vermont and it came up again, and we both just liked the name. I thought it sounded strong and gentle. James is my brothers name, and I just thought it married well with Asa. However, small children are not supposed to meet a lot of people and Asa met a whole heck of a lot of people, and I can tell you, no one could pronounce it and almost everywhere we went we had to clarify that he was a he. So out of Asa, biblical name, one of the kings, also soap opera character, people would often call him Azza, or Asia, umm no. It was a little annoying.

If anyone is looking for a meaningful girl's name, as a scandanavian name, Asa means goddess.

This time around:
Boy is Benjamin Houston. My best friend growing up was Benjamin, and although I don't talk to him much anymore, he is a really stand up man. So positive affiliation. Houston is my mother's maiden name.

Girl:
Possibly Clara, Violet, Penelope, Lilian, and we have more, all with my maiden name Starr. Last time our girl name was Adelaide Houston, until we were going back to have the baby, at which point our girl name changed to Violet. As we really like all these names, we'll probably pick when I am in labor.

Girl names are so easy. If we end up with a 3rd boy, we're screwed.

Due January 23rd with my
Missing Asa James, born into this world 11-17-08 and into the next 12-25-08
#32 of 49 Old 06-30-2009, 11:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonmama79 View Post
Isaac Michael...always loved the 1st name (means laughter in Hebrew) and the middle name is a family name (g. grandfather, great uncle, 3 uncles, brother etc.)

if the next one is a boy his name would be Lucas Miles
if the next one is a girl, i have no idea what her 1st name would be, but middle name is Mae (g. grandmother's name was Anna Mae). I have a "M" thing going for the middle name...must be my OCD.
: DD's middle name is Anna Mae after DH's great aunt.
#33 of 49 Old 06-30-2009, 11:58 AM

Clara Helena - both are family names

Graeme John - Graeme is a variation of a family name, and John is DH very recently deceased father.

for this one we are thinking Grace Francina for a girl, for lots of reasons.

for a boy, not so sure, maybe Ian, Owen, Evan, Ethan or another variation of John, and Leo for a middle name
#34 of 49 Old 06-30-2009, 03:14 PM

Chaya Marilyn ~ Chaya is pronounced with a hard Kh/Ch sound and is Hebrew for life, Marilyn was my mom's mom, and I was very close to her. Most people pronounce her name "Hiya" or "Kiya." Neither is correct

I came up with the idea of her name during a 9 week U/S - I thought I miscarried and found out she was still in there, growing, living. I wanted a name that meant "protected by Gd" or "warrior" but we came across Chaya and it stuck. A boy would have been Amichai (my people live).

Our "rules:" Ashkenazi Jews (Jews of Eastern European decent) traditionally name their children after a relative who has passed on - either the name directly, the beginning letter, or a derivative of the meaning. That's where Marilyn came from.

Names are not usually disclosed or discussed prior to the birth and naming or brit.

We prefer Hebrew/Jewish/Biblical names.

Her name is definitely shaping the new one - we don't want it to sound too "normal" next to Chaya... like Bob or something.

My babies were born at home! 09/07, 01/10, and 09/12 joy.gif

#35 of 49 Old 06-30-2009, 03:39 PM

These are fun to read! Some good ideas. I'm a little nervous about posting DD's name online, but I'll say we picked it by a grueling process of elimination! It sounds similar to another name that DH loved but that I had bad associations with. In the end, it was one of the VERY few we could agree on (and good thing she was a girl, because we never did settle on a boy name). I love it now and am glad we ended up with it. Her middle name is a family name -- my maternal grandmother, mother, and I all share it as a middle name, which is SO special to me.

We don't have any real "rules," other than it should have a not-unpleasant meaning and it should "go" with DD's name, more or less. I would like the middle name to be a family name.

I really like the name Micah for this baby if it's a boy -- it would honor a relative named Michael and it also evokes a special location for us -- and DH likes it too, but I've run into a problem -- he thinks it's a girl's name and cannot imagine naming a boy that! Argh... No amount of Internet research, mentioning the Biblical (male!) Micah, etc., can convince him that it's a boy's name. To me, it would sound weird as a girl's name.

I also run into a lot of problems because FIL has a very strained relationship with his own family, and has literally said (kind of joking, but clearly not really joking) "As long as you don't pick ANY names from my family!" Well... He has 5 brothers, all of whose first and middle names I like... so that's annoying. One of his parents was abusive, so of course I would NEVER pick that name, but ruling out 10 other great names is frustrating... especially because I've met and like all these brothers... they're not bad people! (which FIL would agree with... I think he just prefers to not think about them.)

Mimi :yawning: the happy mama of one DD & one DS ; married to my sweetie.
#36 of 49 Old 06-30-2009, 03:46 PM
Banned

John Anthony: I have always liked the name John even though I don't have any relatives with that name. It just seems solid and classic. Anthony was my father's name (though he went by Tony), and my part-Sicilian ex-wife also had an uncle Anthony (people tend to think of Anthony as more of an Italian type name, but my dad was more of the ethnically British type of Anthony, like Anthony Hopkins).

Nina Anne: my ex-wife got to pick this one. She liked the name Nina, and the middle name Anne is one that everyone in her female lineage uses (she, her sister, mother, maternal aunt and maternal grandmother all have that middle name).
#37 of 49 Old 06-30-2009, 04:05 PM

My son's name is Carter Grayson.....I picked Grayson but really disliked Carter. My husband really loved it and so we compromised. I verged on wanting to change my son's first name for years!! Now he's 5, and he's a wonderful, strong, handsome guy, and I finally like his name. LOL. Which is good because he's just about grown out of me calling him sweetheart, bubba, baby etc.

Soo...that mistake will NOT be repeated. My number 1 rule is that we are both going to be completely sure about the names. Even if the baby has to be a month old before we decide, that's what we're going to do.

I've been using this naming tool online called NameVoyager to look at all my favorite names. It shows a time line from the 1880's to now and the popularity of a name you enter for the whole time. Very interesting.

We aren't going to do family first names because we have a lot of really good ones, and choosing wouldn't be nice! However, for middles I have been considering names from our parents/grandparents: Helen, Joseph, Salvador, Genevieve, Gladys, Ruth.

First names for a girl I like Cassia, Celene, Noelle, Lucia, and quite a few more.

For another boy I like Grady, Lorne and Reid.

`Lorissa
Mama to ds 5, and a brand new Christmas Day baby 2009!
#38 of 49 Old 07-02-2009, 01:38 PM

George Joseph and Anabelle May

George and Joseph are the names of our respective grandparents.
Dh has a grandmother Angelina, which we decided against, but kept an "Ann" name as tribute.
May just because I like it.
#39 of 49 Old 07-03-2009, 10:10 AM

DS is Eli Pavan (pronounced PUH-vun). DH is Indian, I am American. For my first, I wanted an American name first and Indian name second so that I could be sure I could pronounce it. Eli is the only boy name DH and I both liked, Pavan is DH's nickname since birth. His mother was going to name him Pavan, but her MIL disapproved, so she named him something else and called him Pavan anyway.

This baby will be Indian name first, American name second. My rules are that I have to be able to pronounce it, it has to sound good in both English and Hindi, and it shouldn't mean anything too religious -- no naming after gods or wives of gods, etc. If it is a girl, we are considering giving her my middle name, Jo, which was my nickname from birth, and is a family name. Hard to find Indian names that go with Jo, though.

This time, I'd also like to hold off on the final decision on names until we meet the baby. I like DS's name, but I've never been quite sure it suits him. That's if we can find more than one name we both like, of course.

Mama to sweet, funny Eli 9/05 and snuggly Akash 12/09
#40 of 49 Old 07-05-2009, 02:14 AM

SlackerDad already shared about my stepchildren, John Anthony and Nina Anne.

For our LO to come, we're thinking Marcus David for a boy and Maren Ann for a girl. David is my father's middle name and Ann is mine as well as my mother's.

The trouble we're having is with the last name. When we got married I kept my name, but we'd like the kids to be connected to both of us. Seems troublesome with hyphens and all the confusion of who belongs to whom, but for now we're thinking of combining our last names -- Thomstad. Still not sure.
#41 of 49 Old 07-05-2009, 08:58 AM

just throwing it out there that hyphenated names don't have to be troublesome. I grew up with a hyphenated name, and I have one now (changed it when I married; I dropped one and added dh's, he did the same, we have the same last name), so obviously our kids have hyphenated names as well. I think you'd have the same sorts of "is this your kid, but you don't have the same last name" issues with combining your names for a new last name as well. At least with a hyphenated name, your name is in there and so is his.

R~mama to 3

#42 of 49 Old 07-05-2009, 12:40 PM

Gabriel (God is my strength) Sterling (valuable) - that was the only first name we could agree on. I actually wanted Sterling Lysander or Lysander Sterling, but DH hated that and actually wanted him to have NO middle name. But after the birth he saw how much I had to go through and felt that I should pick a middle name if I wanted. Gabriel suits him very well! And his full name Gabriel Sterling Angel, conjures up a beautiful picture in my mind.

Uriah (God is fire) John (God is gracious) - again had trouble coming up with a first name, but this one suits my son very well, he has a fiery personality. John we picked after John the baptist, and also it is my father's and brother's middle name and BIL's name.

Ayla(Oak in hebrew, Moonlight in turkish) Hadassah (Myrtle) - I feel kinda silly saying this but Ayla we picked from a techno song we heard. It's just a beautiful name with a beautiful song. She was born on Purim, Queen Esther's original hebrew name was Hadassah, so that was decided as her middle name instead of Miriam while I was in labor. I think the meanings reflect the kind of woman I'd like for her to grow into also, oak trees have strength and myrtle has beautiful, sweet-smelling flowers.

Noah (Peaceful, comforting) Yitzchak (laughter) - I had a dream that he was born and I named him calm and peaceful, so I started searching names with those meanings and he ended up being born the week of the reading of the torah/bible portion of Noah. Still we didn't decide until a few days after the birth. I think I also picked these names because I felt I needed more peace and laughter in my life. He does laugh and cause a lot of laughter, but the peace has died down as he's nearing his testing 2's. Hopefully it will resurface.

I had a dream before I found out I was pregnant that this baby's name is Emana. Which is fine with me, but DH thinks I'm nuts. So we'll see. Would really like another girl. Girl's names are just so much easier to come up with it seems.

Alicia + James = Gabriel (9), Uriah (7), Ayla (5), Noah (3), Azriel (1), and due Oct. 2011

#43 of 49 Old 07-05-2009, 02:50 PM

My older daughter is Isabelle Lisette. We wanted a french name. I loved the name Belle and my parents hated it, so I picked Isabelle (from the figure skater) and nicknamed her Belle.

My younger daughter is Maggie Rose. Maggie is after my best friend's mother who passed away when my best friend was a teenager. My best friend always said that she felt her mother led her to me and my family so that we could provide her with the family she was missing. She says that I am a lot like her mother.

If this baby is a boy he will be Alexander Richard Jackson. We just liked Alexander. Richard is my father's name. Jackson is after my Father-in-law whose nickname is Jack.

If this baby is a girl she will be Victoria Loren. Victoria is my Mother-in-law's name. Loren is because the first three letter's of my mother's, my sister's, and my best friend's name are LOR. (Lorna, Lorelei, Lori)

Mommy to: Belle: 01/27/2002, Maggie: 07/22/2008, Daniella, lost @ 9 wks on 06/04/2007, Baby Three Due 1/10/10
#44 of 49 Old 07-06-2009, 12:33 PM

Shoshana Artemis, aka (Sage) Hebrew for Susan dh mother's name. The middle name, Greek Goddess of the hunt.

Piedra Apalonia, Spanish word for rock or stone. The middle name is a feminine form of Apollo, the sun God.

Harmony Ariadne, DH is a musician and chose this name and the middle name who was a maiden in Greek mythology who assisted Theseus out of the maze.

Rowan Arion, Rowan is a red blooming tree in the British Isles and is sometimes referred to as the witches tree, Arion was a greek musician who was saved from drowning by dolphins with his beautiful voice.

It is dh turn name this next one. We take turns. So far he likes Melody for a girl and Merlyn for a boy. Love Melody, not so sure about Merlyn
#45 of 49 Old 07-29-2009, 06:22 PM

Padma-Dhira Mohini Grace

Padma-Dhira means Lotus flower beloved of God (sanskrit) Mohini means the attractor (also sanskrit), and Grace is after my grandmother who passed away from cancer before her great-grand daughter was born, but held on long enough to know that we were having a girl.

we are thinking Isabelle or Sebastion for the new baby, with Shanti (peace) as a middle name for either gender.
#46 of 49 Old 07-29-2009, 07:15 PM

Ioana -- i got that from my mother who died giving birth to me in Romania!
#47 of 49 Old 07-30-2009, 02:38 AM

Lucinda Jane - I just liked Lucinda & Jane is a derivative from my mom's name, Janet

Joseph David - first name from a man who led a group my DH was a member of as a child & middle name after my dad

Henry Bartholomew - named because my water broke & we decided we needed to actually think about naming the poor kid!

The one? Not sure! I like Veronica Rose, which was what Henry would've been if he'd been a girl, but we'll see what I think closer to meeting him/her...we can never agree on boys' names until really close to baby's arrival!
#48 of 49 Old 07-30-2009, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpea_119 View Post
Joseph David - first name from a man who led a group my DH was a member of as a child & middle name after my dad
My father is David Joseph and he might be one of the most stand-up men I've ever met. What a wonderful name.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#49 of 49 Old 07-30-2009, 01:47 PM

Our son is Gannet Addison. Gannet is an amazing pelagic bird that we saw when crossing the North Sea years ago by ferry, in England it is also used in a sort of endearing way to tell a kid they are eating a lot- which he has since he was born (or before really he was a big boy!). Addison is the county in Vermont where my husband and I met and we just plain liked the name, plus Gannet is so unusual we thought we'd give him an option for later in life in case he doesn't take to his name as much as we hope he will when he grows up.

For this next kiddo I have no idea, although for a girl I've always loved Audrey and Cecilia, if its a boy- well let's just say we have several more months to develop our lists!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page