Mothering Forum banner

Occasional glass of wine anyone?

3K views 63 replies 40 participants last post by  djinneyah 
#1 ·
Just curious if I am alone in this. I will have an occasional glass of wine in the evening to help me relax. I don't exceed 1-2 per week, and some weeks none at all.

Anyone else?

#3 ·
If I liked wine, I would. I'm not a big fan of it though.

Now if only it were ok to have an occasional strawberry daiquiri

I hate going out to eat now. All the drink menus looks so good and I just can't have any
It's torture, I tell you!

#4 ·
Yes! I have a glass or two of red wine with dinner once every other week or so. It's not so much to relax (it would take me a couple more than one glass to do that
). I just really love a nice Malbec or Savignon with my dinner now and then. I do avoid white whine when I am pregnant. I tend to get drunker faster on white wine, and it's so refreshing I have a harder time not asking for seconds and thirds and...etc.

I also ocassionally have a chandi with DH when I am at a barbeque or something as well, but instead of 20% sprite and 80% beer I make mine more like 70% sprite and 30% beer. Just for the taste.

#5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsfrenchy View Post
If I liked wine, I would. I'm not a big fan of it though.

Now if only it were ok to have an occasional strawberry daiquiri

I hate going out to eat now. All the drink menus looks so good and I just can't have any
It's torture, I tell you!
I ask for mine virgin with extra lime juice and I almost feel like I deserve to sit at the grown ups table.

Actually, they are pretty good without alcohol and you almost don't taste the difference, at least with the frozen drinks.

#8 ·
I had a small glass of champagne at my niece's wedding in June, but no wine so far. I have about five nice bottles sitting here and I just can't bring myself to open a whole bottle for just one glass
I will definitely have a glass here & there if the opportunity arises, but it would be very occasionally and definitely not weekly. We did just hear the heartbeat today and was told that the chance of miscarriage is very slim after hearing the heartbeat after 12 weeks - so maybe a celebratory glass is due tonight

#10 ·
I don't, but then again I am not someone who drinks alcohol anyhow. Probably in a years time I am lucky if I have three alcoholic beverages - although the other day (well for the last couple of days) I keep telling dh that I would love a margairita LOL. I haven't done it and most likely won't, but for some very, very strange reason I have been thinking about it a lot.

#11 ·
Hehe. I find it funny that fetal alcohol syndrom does not exist in the european mind, but here in the US most pregnant women are obsessed with it.

I have a small glass of wine on Friday nights for kiddush. I had a couple of margaritas over a family reunion weekend last month, but gave the last half to my dh because they were really strong.

I don't really drink when I'm not pregnant so this really isn't much of an issue to me, but I am glad to see y'all aren't quite as paranoid as women in my past DDC!

#30 ·
Hehe. I find it funny that fetal alcohol syndrom does not exist in the european mind, but here in the US most pregnant women are obsessed with it.

Oh yes they do now! It's been in the English news quite a bit if you do a search on it. I've read that 1-2 glasses per week has in the past been deemed okay,but now that's up in the air depending on what publication you are reading. I only speak English and a bit of german--I wonder what a German paper would say.

#13 ·
I agree with the FAS concerns. My theory is that Europeans understand moderation better than North Americans. (How else can there be such good cheese and breads and not be a giant epidemic with obesity like here?)
We have to be told to avoid alcohol 'cause as soon as we're told (as a whole) that it's okay the proverbial poo will hit the fan.

that being said my midwife suggested dark beer for me in the last trimester to help with milk production.

I also like to wait until I am out of the first trimester before i have anything, most so that I don't waste it.

#15 ·
I've had the equivalent of a full beer since finding out I was pregnant. With my first, I followed a text book pregnancy.. well, minus the lower consumption of caffiene. I didn't have a drop of alcohol, even on my 21st birthday, which just so happens to be on New Year's Eve. Perfect time to get pregnant, eh?
But I have had a few sips of DH's beer here and there, and will most likely have a few more again. I know that I'll definitely indulge in a glass of wine on THIS birthday, my 25th. LOL.

#16 ·
Not now but probably in the third trimester. We don't really need alcohol around right now anyway. DH is finishing his PhD thesis and is sleep deprived and I am just plain sleep deprived.

#17 ·
I'm 11 weeks now and I'll have an occasional glass of wine now and then. Usually I only have a sip or two before losing interest and pouring the rest into my husband's glass, but this tuesday I had an entire glass and it was lovely. Before I was pregnant we'd usually share a bottle between the two of us with dinner, sometimes dipping into a second bottle if we wanted a real buzz, but not more than that.

About a week ago I went out to a Mexican joint with some friends who ordered a pitcher of margaritas for the table. They didn't know that I was pregnant at the time and I wasn't really ready to tell them so I let them pour me a small rocks glass and sipped on it throughout the night. I ended up drinking a little over half of it but I never felt anything from it so I figured I was ok.

I've heard that as much as a glass a night could be fine, but that seems excessive to me. I think a glass a week or less is what I'll stick to.

#18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dea View Post
I agree with the FAS concerns. My theory is that Europeans understand moderation better than North Americans. (How else can there be such good cheese and breads and not be a giant epidemic with obesity like here?)
We have to be told to avoid alcohol 'cause as soon as we're told (as a whole) that it's okay the proverbial poo will hit the fan.

that being said my midwife suggested dark beer for me in the last trimester to help with milk production.

I also like to wait until I am out of the first trimester before i have anything, most so that I don't waste it.
I agree! I am more paranoid about my incessant craving for turkey sandwiches and the preservatives than having a glass of whine or a sip of DH's rum & coke. LOL. FAS is from heavy, prolonged use.

#19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Usually Curious View Post

I have a small glass of wine on Friday nights for kiddush. I had a couple of margaritas over a family reunion weekend last month, but gave the last half to my dh because they were really strong.

I don't really drink when I'm not pregnant so this really isn't much of an issue to me, but I am glad to see y'all aren't quite as paranoid as women in my past DDC!
you do realize fetal alcohol syndrome is a real thing, right? Why would ya take the chance of affecting your baby by having a glass of wine? Are these the same folks who forgo vaccines because there's a "chance" of something bad happening? I'm not convinced these two scenerios are so different!

#20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by KimL View Post
you do realize fetal alcohol syndrome is a real thing, right? Why would ya take the chance of affecting your baby by having a glass of wine? Are these the same folks who forgo vaccines because there's a "chance" of something bad happening? I'm not convinced these two scenerios are so different!
Again I say, FAS is from HEAVY and PROLONGED use. Studies have shown that even 1-2 glasses of wine per day, every day, is safe. I can't find the link right now, but I was just reading this the other day. Of course, it was a European study.

#22 ·
Quote:

The difference between vaccines and a little wine is that vaccines put poison into the body that was never meant to be there, attempting to fool the immune system.

Wine, OTOH, is not poison, and is, in fact been known to be healthy in moderation for different reasons.

It is all about moderation, IMO.

#24 ·
Quote:

FAS is a result of REGULAR, excessive drinking over long periods of time. Not reasonable intake of small doses of alcohol on occassion.

I just don't see it as taking a risk.

2nd, I do vaccinate (I live in a tropical climate, in a developing nation, it's not something I'd risk), but I see the fears of vaccination as legitimate and supported by studies on both sides of the debate. I have yet to see a study or an actual source that says even one glass of wine now and then is a risk of any kind whatsoever. All they say is that they are unwilling and unable to say how much is safe, but all the evidence points towards heavy prolonged use, which no one here is advocating.

I would never suggest that if someone else didn't feel comfortable having a glass of wine that they should just DO it (it'll make you feel goooood feeeel goood feeel goood...
), everyone knows their own body...but I definitely don't feel like I'm being a bad mom having the odd glass of wine myself, either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by circuitsndaisies View Post
Again I say, FAS is from HEAVY and PROLONGED use. Studies have shown that even 1-2 glasses of wine per day, every day, is safe. I can't find the link right now, but I was just reading this the other day. Of course, it was a European study.
Here is one:http://www.medicinenet.com/fetal_alc...rome/page4.htm

Here is another: http://www.winespectator.com/Wine/Fe...7,4697,00.html

and another:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...lass-wine.html

#25 ·
Quote:

i understand what you're saying, I guess you have to go with what is comfortable for you.
I have a history of blood pressure issues in pregnancy, and a little red wine can help with that. Blood pressure issues can cause some real problems, so like I said, you have to choose what you're comfortable with. By no means is anyone here suggesting that you should drink a bottle a night.

#26 ·
I haven't had anything to drink, other than sips, since I found out I was pregnant. I invented this policy of not drinking in the 1st trimester and then drinking in moderation (1 glass a couple of times a week) through the rest of the pregnancy.

With my first baby, I felt sick pretty much constantly until I was 14 weeks. That weekend, a friend came to stay, we had fish & chips in a pub, I had my first beer of the pregnancy, and the next day we ate Krispy Kremes. No more nausea after that!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.