Occasional glass of wine anyone? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 64 Old 07-09-2009, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just curious if I am alone in this. I will have an occasional glass of wine in the evening to help me relax. I don't exceed 1-2 per week, and some weeks none at all.

Anyone else?

Samantha, Student, wife to my best friend (1.30.09) Mama to three beautiful daughters and and a handsome little son
#2 of 64 Old 07-09-2009, 01:50 PM

I think I had a little bit of wine twice now. I don't think it's a huge deal. I probably had half a glass. I think a lot of dietary restrictions in pregnancy are not based on logic, so I go with my scientific knowledge instead. To each their own though.

sleepytime.gif
#3 of 64 Old 07-09-2009, 02:08 PM

If I liked wine, I would. I'm not a big fan of it though.

Now if only it were ok to have an occasional strawberry daiquiri
I hate going out to eat now. All the drink menus looks so good and I just can't have any It's torture, I tell you!

student momma to two great girls

#4 of 64 Old 07-09-2009, 02:10 PM

Yes! I have a glass or two of red wine with dinner once every other week or so. It's not so much to relax (it would take me a couple more than one glass to do that). I just really love a nice Malbec or Savignon with my dinner now and then. I do avoid white whine when I am pregnant. I tend to get drunker faster on white wine, and it's so refreshing I have a harder time not asking for seconds and thirds and...etc.

I also ocassionally have a chandi with DH when I am at a barbeque or something as well, but instead of 20% sprite and 80% beer I make mine more like 70% sprite and 30% beer. Just for the taste.

Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.
#5 of 64 Old 07-09-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsfrenchy View Post
If I liked wine, I would. I'm not a big fan of it though.

Now if only it were ok to have an occasional strawberry daiquiri
I hate going out to eat now. All the drink menus looks so good and I just can't have any It's torture, I tell you!
I ask for mine virgin with extra lime juice and I almost feel like I deserve to sit at the grown ups table.

Actually, they are pretty good without alcohol and you almost don't taste the difference, at least with the frozen drinks.

Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.
#6 of 64 Old 07-09-2009, 02:18 PM

iv had a couple of glasses of red wine
actually when i got really stressed and had some cramps a few weeks back a glass of wine was def the cure

Jools

29/07/09...baby Samson, lost at 16 weeks.
with DH for 6 years, looking for lots of sticky baby dust for our baby.
#7 of 64 Old 07-09-2009, 02:33 PM

I have a few sips of my DH's wine sometimes. I have a pretty low tolerance. In the last few weeks of pregnancy I will have a half glass a couple times a week though.

Alicia + James = Gabriel (9), Uriah (7), Ayla (5), Noah (3), Azriel (1), and due Oct. 2011

#8 of 64 Old 07-09-2009, 03:07 PM

I had a small glass of champagne at my niece's wedding in June, but no wine so far. I have about five nice bottles sitting here and I just can't bring myself to open a whole bottle for just one glass I will definitely have a glass here & there if the opportunity arises, but it would be very occasionally and definitely not weekly. We did just hear the heartbeat today and was told that the chance of miscarriage is very slim after hearing the heartbeat after 12 weeks - so maybe a celebratory glass is due tonight
#9 of 64 Old 07-09-2009, 03:12 PM

i loved red wine before getting pregnant and now i can't stand the smell. in fact, if DP has a glass with dinner we can't even kiss later.

i've had a glass of white here and there, but it's just not the same.

rainbow1284.gifbeth  stillheart.gifDW   blahblah.gif DD  Nov. 2009 and 1sttri.gif due Feb. 2013

#10 of 64 Old 07-09-2009, 04:30 PM

I don't, but then again I am not someone who drinks alcohol anyhow. Probably in a years time I am lucky if I have three alcoholic beverages - although the other day (well for the last couple of days) I keep telling dh that I would love a margairita LOL. I haven't done it and most likely won't, but for some very, very strange reason I have been thinking about it a lot.
#11 of 64 Old 07-09-2009, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hehe. I find it funny that fetal alcohol syndrom does not exist in the european mind, but here in the US most pregnant women are obsessed with it.

I have a small glass of wine on Friday nights for kiddush. I had a couple of margaritas over a family reunion weekend last month, but gave the last half to my dh because they were really strong.

I don't really drink when I'm not pregnant so this really isn't much of an issue to me, but I am glad to see y'all aren't quite as paranoid as women in my past DDC!
#12 of 64 Old 07-09-2009, 04:53 PM

Not at this point. My nausea is still too strong to allow me anything other than water and plain foods. Eventually if I am feeling better, likely in my late 2nd and early 3rd tri, I'll enjoy the occasional small glass.

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#13 of 64 Old 07-09-2009, 05:31 PM
Dea

I agree with the FAS concerns. My theory is that Europeans understand moderation better than North Americans. (How else can there be such good cheese and breads and not be a giant epidemic with obesity like here?)
We have to be told to avoid alcohol 'cause as soon as we're told (as a whole) that it's okay the proverbial poo will hit the fan.

that being said my midwife suggested dark beer for me in the last trimester to help with milk production.

I also like to wait until I am out of the first trimester before i have anything, most so that I don't waste it.

Deadra, Wife to Adam , Mama to Beatrix (02/08), Hudson (01/10), and Mazarine (12/13)
#14 of 64 Old 07-09-2009, 06:17 PM

I don't really like the taste, but I would if I did. I don't think an occasional drink would do any harm at all.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#15 of 64 Old 07-09-2009, 07:53 PM

I've had the equivalent of a full beer since finding out I was pregnant. With my first, I followed a text book pregnancy.. well, minus the lower consumption of caffiene. I didn't have a drop of alcohol, even on my 21st birthday, which just so happens to be on New Year's Eve. Perfect time to get pregnant, eh? But I have had a few sips of DH's beer here and there, and will most likely have a few more again. I know that I'll definitely indulge in a glass of wine on THIS birthday, my 25th. LOL.

brandi
Wife to Thomas (03/05) Mama to Tommy (04/06) & Emma (01/10)
#16 of 64 Old 07-09-2009, 09:24 PM
Banned

Not now but probably in the third trimester. We don't really need alcohol around right now anyway. DH is finishing his PhD thesis and is sleep deprived and I am just plain sleep deprived.
#17 of 64 Old 07-09-2009, 10:33 PM

I'm 11 weeks now and I'll have an occasional glass of wine now and then. Usually I only have a sip or two before losing interest and pouring the rest into my husband's glass, but this tuesday I had an entire glass and it was lovely. Before I was pregnant we'd usually share a bottle between the two of us with dinner, sometimes dipping into a second bottle if we wanted a real buzz, but not more than that.

About a week ago I went out to a Mexican joint with some friends who ordered a pitcher of margaritas for the table. They didn't know that I was pregnant at the time and I wasn't really ready to tell them so I let them pour me a small rocks glass and sipped on it throughout the night. I ended up drinking a little over half of it but I never felt anything from it so I figured I was ok.

I've heard that as much as a glass a night could be fine, but that seems excessive to me. I think a glass a week or less is what I'll stick to.

Married 12/08 to Chilean DH and mama to DD 2/2/10. We're a bilingual home and we familybed1.gif and toddler.gif

Expecting #2 in late June!

#18 of 64 Old 07-09-2009, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dea View Post
I agree with the FAS concerns. My theory is that Europeans understand moderation better than North Americans. (How else can there be such good cheese and breads and not be a giant epidemic with obesity like here?)
We have to be told to avoid alcohol 'cause as soon as we're told (as a whole) that it's okay the proverbial poo will hit the fan.

that being said my midwife suggested dark beer for me in the last trimester to help with milk production.

I also like to wait until I am out of the first trimester before i have anything, most so that I don't waste it.
I agree! I am more paranoid about my incessant craving for turkey sandwiches and the preservatives than having a glass of whine or a sip of DH's rum & coke. LOL. FAS is from heavy, prolonged use.

Samantha, Student, wife to my best friend (1.30.09) Mama to three beautiful daughters and and a handsome little son
#19 of 64 Old 07-09-2009, 11:45 PM

Location: New England (but planning a move in the next year or two...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Curious View Post
Hehe. I find it funny that fetal alcohol syndrom does not exist in the european mind, but here in the US most pregnant women are obsessed with it.

I have a small glass of wine on Friday nights for kiddush. I had a couple of margaritas over a family reunion weekend last month, but gave the last half to my dh because they were really strong.

I don't really drink when I'm not pregnant so this really isn't much of an issue to me, but I am glad to see y'all aren't quite as paranoid as women in my past DDC!
you do realize fetal alcohol syndrome is a real thing, right? Why would ya take the chance of affecting your baby by having a glass of wine? Are these the same folks who forgo vaccines because there's a "chance" of something bad happening? I'm not convinced these two scenerios are so different!
#20 of 64 Old 07-10-2009, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimL View Post
you do realize fetal alcohol syndrome is a real thing, right? Why would ya take the chance of affecting your baby by having a glass of wine? Are these the same folks who forgo vaccines because there's a "chance" of something bad happening? I'm not convinced these two scenerios are so different!
Again I say, FAS is from HEAVY and PROLONGED use. Studies have shown that even 1-2 glasses of wine per day, every day, is safe. I can't find the link right now, but I was just reading this the other day. Of course, it was a European study.

#21 of 64 Old 07-10-2009, 12:42 AM

Once I'm out of my first trimester I have an occasional glass of wine. Honestly, I don't believe having a glass of wine is going to affect my baby so for me it's not chancing anything.

Christina, mom to Alaina, Addison, Noah, and Magdalyn
#22 of 64 Old 07-10-2009, 12:47 AM

Quote:
The difference between vaccines and a little wine is that vaccines put poison into the body that was never meant to be there, attempting to fool the immune system.

Wine, OTOH, is not poison, and is, in fact been known to be healthy in moderation for different reasons.

It is all about moderation, IMO.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#23 of 64 Old 07-10-2009, 01:15 AM

all things in moderation, i say. i drink wine sometimes. i eat soft cheeses (mostly imports), and sometimes- i eat fish! gasp!

Mama to a 3 year old awesome kid, Rowan (aka Mister Boopy) and TTC another at 43!

fambedsingle1.gif gd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif vbac.gif goorganic.jpg

Herbalist, Acupuncture student, Mama, Blogger!

#24 of 64 Old 07-10-2009, 01:49 AM

Quote:
FAS is a result of REGULAR, excessive drinking over long periods of time. Not reasonable intake of small doses of alcohol on occassion.

I just don't see it as taking a risk.

2nd, I do vaccinate (I live in a tropical climate, in a developing nation, it's not something I'd risk), but I see the fears of vaccination as legitimate and supported by studies on both sides of the debate. I have yet to see a study or an actual source that says even one glass of wine now and then is a risk of any kind whatsoever. All they say is that they are unwilling and unable to say how much is safe, but all the evidence points towards heavy prolonged use, which no one here is advocating.

I would never suggest that if someone else didn't feel comfortable having a glass of wine that they should just DO it (it'll make you feel goooood feeeel goood feeel goood...), everyone knows their own body...but I definitely don't feel like I'm being a bad mom having the odd glass of wine myself, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by circuitsndaisies View Post
Again I say, FAS is from HEAVY and PROLONGED use. Studies have shown that even 1-2 glasses of wine per day, every day, is safe. I can't find the link right now, but I was just reading this the other day. Of course, it was a European study.
Here is one:http://www.medicinenet.com/fetal_alc...rome/page4.htm

Here is another: http://www.winespectator.com/Wine/Fe...7,4697,00.html

and another:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...lass-wine.html

#25 of 64 Old 07-10-2009, 02:42 AM
Dea

Quote:
i understand what you're saying, I guess you have to go with what is comfortable for you.
I have a history of blood pressure issues in pregnancy, and a little red wine can help with that. Blood pressure issues can cause some real problems, so like I said, you have to choose what you're comfortable with. By no means is anyone here suggesting that you should drink a bottle a night.

Deadra, Wife to Adam , Mama to Beatrix (02/08), Hudson (01/10), and Mazarine (12/13)
#26 of 64 Old 07-10-2009, 05:24 AM

I haven't had anything to drink, other than sips, since I found out I was pregnant. I invented this policy of not drinking in the 1st trimester and then drinking in moderation (1 glass a couple of times a week) through the rest of the pregnancy.

With my first baby, I felt sick pretty much constantly until I was 14 weeks. That weekend, a friend came to stay, we had fish & chips in a pub, I had my first beer of the pregnancy, and the next day we ate Krispy Kremes. No more nausea after that!

Expat mama to my 7-year-old Halloween boy and my cheeky preschooler, who came before the midwife in January 2010... Gestating a new bean, debuting spring 2014!
#27 of 64 Old 07-10-2009, 07:07 AM

Alcohol is a teratogen. Every moment you are building something on your human inside of you. The baby's brain is forming neurons and making connections every moment, every moment something is being created. What if that one glass of wine effected something? I have a child with Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder. The damage is irreversible. I have no idea how much her birth mother drank. But why risk it? Could you choose to take a hot bath with candles to calm you?

Christine. Unschooling mom to Hollis, Zobey, Zeda, Anna, and Wednesday. We have a lot invested in this whole family thing with marriage kids and a mortgage. You don't just give up on the whole deal when it gets difficult.
#28 of 64 Old 07-10-2009, 09:30 AM

I do not drink alcohol while I'm pregnant. It crosses directly through the placenta, that poison is going directly to the fetus, so I don't get why anyone would want to . But I don't judge others who do, I'm sure I do things others wouldn't agree with. I was reading a book by a doctor who said that drinking in the 3rd trimester was actually the worst time to drink - specifically, alcohol destroys synapses in the brain and the 3rd tri is when the baby's synapses are being formed.

+ = and .
#29 of 64 Old 07-10-2009, 09:45 AM

I had wine with my midwife at a party once! I definitely think an occasional glass is no big deal. Same with coffee. IMO.

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
#30 of 64 Old 07-10-2009, 10:13 AM

[QUOTE=Usually Curious;14059206]Hehe. I find it funny that fetal alcohol syndrom does not exist in the european mind, but here in the US most pregnant women are obsessed with it.

Oh yes they do now! It's been in the English news quite a bit if you do a search on it. I've read that 1-2 glasses per week has in the past been deemed okay,but now that's up in the air depending on what publication you are reading. I only speak English and a bit of german--I wonder what a German paper would say.

Crunchy con wife with 1 DS and 1 lil DD born in Jan. I love breastfeeding, CDing and Friday night family bed.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page