Milk: When does it go away? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 07-17-2009, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm pretty sure I still have milk, but the supply is definitely going down. I'm 13 weeks today. How's everyone else's milk supply?
#2 of 31 Old 07-17-2009, 04:37 PM

i was going to start a thread on this a couple weeks ago. I will be 13 weeks this sunday, and about two weeks ago I woke up ENGORGED slightly! I for sure thought something was wrong, but nope. Still pg, just making at least as much as before and seems slightly more. Now, this is in the am, but throughout the day seems like enough for her feedings. Weird.

I was wondering too, when its going to stop.

Super mom to a 5 1/2 year old girl, almost 4 yr old girl, and 2 year old boy.

#3 of 31 Old 07-17-2009, 05:06 PM

I haven't noticed a difference yet. I'm 12 weeks.

J+B = Little G (1/08) and baby S (1/10)
#4 of 31 Old 07-17-2009, 06:28 PM

I stopped nursing my dd when she was 9 1/2 months old and had milk for several months after that when it turned to what looks like colostrum and that is what I have now. btw - my baby will be one year old next weekend.
#5 of 31 Old 07-17-2009, 06:39 PM

In the past I have had milk until the colostrum comes in at about 7-8 months... I still have plenty of milk now so I don't think that it will be different this time around...

~paxye~
Mama to Xavier (July 02) , Colin (Sept 04), Khéna(Nov 06) & Wilhelmina (Jan 10)
#6 of 31 Old 07-18-2009, 02:16 AM

This time around, I'm still producing enough to keep the little guy happy I can't believe it because in previous pregnancies, a severe drop in my supply was one of the huge indicators that I was pregnant again. I hope my supply keeps up this time! It didn't stop my others from nursing, but it sure is easier to nurse when there's something there!
#7 of 31 Old 07-18-2009, 10:06 AM

I still have milk at this point but I think that it dried up approximately 20 weeks into my last pregnancy.

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#8 of 31 Old 07-18-2009, 12:18 PM

I'm totally jealous of you all, my milk has been pretty much dried up for a few weeks now. I'm 13 weeks and a bit. DD still nurses 3-5 times in a 24 hour period. For a week or so, a few weeks back, she seemed like she was going to wean, but she's back and nursing just as much as ever now.

I was a really poor milk maker though with my first two children and my milk would dip drastically when AF came to visit. When I got pregnant with my second child we were forced to supplement with formula for the first, my milk dried up quickly. It's totally unfair that some people make milk so easily.

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
#9 of 31 Old 07-18-2009, 12:22 PM

I've been nursing my toddler & a few weeks ago (maybe in week 9??) he mentioned "no milk in nursies". I am totally okay with the weaning though, been waiting for a long time to stop. He only nurses 2 times a day now.

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#10 of 31 Old 07-18-2009, 03:38 PM

Well, my boobs feel a little empty, but there's still milk in there. It seems like mine has already started to change to colostrum though because her poop is so loose (and gross) now.

student momma to two great girls

#11 of 31 Old 07-18-2009, 07:08 PM

Not much, if any, but that is probably mostly due to the fact that she is almost 4 and only nurses a few seconds right before bed. With DS, he was 2 and still nursing 4-5 times a day, so I think my supply was definitely down, but still had some at this point.

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
#12 of 31 Old 07-19-2009, 10:43 AM

I am almost 14 weeks and still have plenty of milk, although I'm not leaking like I used to. DD is still nursing like crazy. I have a friend who's nursing and pregnant and she said it went down around week 25
for her.\

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
#13 of 31 Old 07-19-2009, 11:10 PM

Almost 13 weeks, and DD (7 months) is now almost exclusively on formula. I have pretty much nothing there for her. I was OK with formula when she was only getting 4 oz or so a day, but now I'm liking it less and less and less.

I hate the fact that I'm giving her formula- she's gotten the flu since we started needing to supplement, she's been crankier, her poo is gross, she just a couple of days ago developed her first-ever yeast infection, and i hate making with/dealing with/cleaning up after/paying for bottles.

Seriously, I hate it all. I almost went into a total rage in the kitchen about 20 minutes ago, and it took all my self control to not heave the tin of formula against the wall and burst into tears.

So yeah. Just a bit jealous of you that still have milk.

Grace - wife to Jeff and mama to Nigella (11/08) and Orrin (01/10)- expecting a new addition (05/12)! Life is a whirlwind, but I'm learning to enjoy the ride!

#14 of 31 Old 07-19-2009, 11:27 PM

Crashing from Feb DDC. I'm 9 weeks (DD is 3 yrs old) but I swear my milk dried up the instant I got pregnant. Maybe there was a little bit left for a little while, but I think it's completley gone now. DD still wants to nurse though!! J/K I'm not really upset, but wonder whether she will continue the whole pregnancy or give it up eventually???

#15 of 31 Old 07-20-2009, 12:09 AM

Still doing ok here. Sometime's running a little low on days dd wants an extra nursing session. She just had her first overnight away from me and we skipped 5 - 6 nursing sessions over the last 3 days so I'm hoping that doesn't change my supply too much. On the other hand, I'm getta a TON of pressure to wean her - and part of me wants to be done, so I don't think I'd be too devestated if I lose my supply - as long as she doesn't get to cranky.

Amy - mama to dd 2/2007 and ds who arrived 2/2010 my VBAC
                  Comfy Cozy Diapers
Newborn Rentals, Military Discount, Free Layaway

14 Day Guarantee - Return diapers if you don't like them

Follow us on Facebook & Twitter

#16 of 31 Old 07-20-2009, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astraia View Post
Almost 13 weeks, and DD (7 months) is now almost exclusively on formula. I have pretty much nothing there for her. I was OK with formula when she was only getting 4 oz or so a day, but now I'm liking it less and less and less.

I hate the fact that I'm giving her formula- she's gotten the flu since we started needing to supplement, she's been crankier, her poo is gross, she just a couple of days ago developed her first-ever yeast infection, and i hate making with/dealing with/cleaning up after/paying for bottles.

Seriously, I hate it all. I almost went into a total rage in the kitchen about 20 minutes ago, and it took all my self control to not heave the tin of formula against the wall and burst into tears.

This was totally me when I was pregnant with my second. We started having to supplement when she was 10 months old, when I was just 6 weeks along, my milk went away so quickly. She was totally weaned by 12 months. At that age, they don't really comfort nurse as much as they nurse for nourishment, so if the milk goes away, they tend to wean. I was so upset and people just didn't understand why, since after all, she was 12 months old and I should have been elated that it was so easy to wean her.

I'm struggling this time again, but it's a bit easier since dd is 20 months right now, instead of 12 months. It's still very sad though that she will have a premature end to her mama milk (unless she continues to nurse, it's possible, but she's definitely not getting anything at this point.)

Anyway, just wanted to let you know that you're not alone. And I totally don't understand how most of the people here still have plenty of milk. It's so not fair. But no matter what, your dd will turn out just fine, she'll survive on formula, even if it's not the best thing for her. Take heart. My oldest is a very beautiful, sensitive, amazing child now and doesn't have any memory of weaning early. It didn't bother her at all, just me.

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
#17 of 31 Old 07-20-2009, 02:18 AM

I have never run out of milk. In the last 20 years, I have only not had milk one time and that is after I had stopped nursing my seventh baby as I was pg with my eighth. After I lost that baby and my hormones shifted, I dried up. For me, it was a strange experience.

I am now 15 wks, and still have plenty to satisfy my LO that nurses all the time.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#18 of 31 Old 07-20-2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:

Have you ever looked into the homemade raw formula? Or BM donation, for that matter? At least trying those options might make you feel a little better about what you ultimately end up with. I'm sorry you and your babe are going through that.

#19 of 31 Old 07-20-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leila1213 View Post
Have you ever looked into the homemade raw formula? Or BM donation, for that matter? At least trying those options might make you feel a little better about what you ultimately end up with. I'm sorry you and your babe are going through that.
I've got a recipe for homemade raw formula that I'll probably look into soon. We just this week started her on formula pretty much full-time so it's worth it now. It was one thing when it was a small bottle once or twice a day, and I could handle the store-bought stuff then, but now that it's all the time... It might make me feel less like I'm giving up (not that I have a choice in the matter). But I'm not sure yet. We'll see.

BM donations- only if I get it from friends. Some people might be OK with pumping a bit extra here and there, but for a full-time supply for an almost 8 month old... not so much. There are no milk banks here, anything donated goes to the NICU's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheelimama View Post
: She was totally weaned by 12 months. At that age, they don't really comfort nurse as much as they nurse for nourishment, so if the milk goes away, they tend to wean. I was so upset and people just didn't understand why, since after all, she was 12 months old and I should have been elated that it was so easy to wean her.

But no matter what, your dd will turn out just fine, she'll survive on formula, even if it's not the best thing for her. Take heart. My oldest is a very beautiful, sensitive, amazing child now and doesn't have any memory of weaning early. It didn't bother her at all, just me.

That's my MIL when she sees me giving Nigella a bottle- she's so happy that i'm "feeding" my baby, and going on about how easy it will be to wean her, blah blah blah. Definitely doesn't understand that it makes me feel worse and not better.

I keep trying to trick her- I won't let her fall asleep with the bottle, or give her a bottle when she's cranky. I'll let her be full and sleepy with the bottle in her mouth, but nurse her the rest of the way down, and I'll offer to nurse when she's upset or hits her head or whatever in hopes that the "comfort" aspect of it might carry forward now that there's no milk. I'm not sure it will work, but I'm trying.

My sister was formula fed when my mom got pregnant with me (when my sister was 7 months) and she's one of the smartest, kindest people I know. And when you think that more than 60% of American babies today are formula fed (and were formula fed themselves) and are perfectly wonderful people- i know she'll be fine. But you're right, I'm not It's hard on me, but she really doesn't seem to care if she gets the bottle or the boob (which makes me sad, I wish she cared!)

Grace - wife to Jeff and mama to Nigella (11/08) and Orrin (01/10)- expecting a new addition (05/12)! Life is a whirlwind, but I'm learning to enjoy the ride!

#20 of 31 Old 07-20-2009, 11:01 AM

Crashing from March.

I think it's very variable. By the time I was 7 weeks pregnant with my second, my milk had dropped precipitously and by 9 weeks (DS was 7 months old) I was supplementing heavily.

Now I'm probably close to 7 weeks again and both my boys have been nursing like crazy and when I ask them why they're nursing so much DS1 tells me it's because there's not a lot of milk there so he has to nurse longer.
#21 of 31 Old 07-20-2009, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm sorry, Astraia!

My milk is pretty much gone. Apparently, I don't produce milk through a pregnancy and I'm not going to dry nurse - it hurts!

My ds is 21mos so I am totally fine that he's pretty much weaned. He's perfectly happy, but I do have just a little if he ever 'needs' to nurse at this point. I have noticed that he sleeps A LOT deeper now that we're not nursing at night.
#22 of 31 Old 07-20-2009, 12:56 PM

I'm 13 weeks now and have very little milk left. My daughter (21 months) doesn't seem to mind and still nurses just as much (although now she drinks water right afterward). I was surprised at how quickly my supply dropped.

PT SAHM to DD1 10.23.07 and DD2 1.23.10 : both homebirth.jpg

#23 of 31 Old 07-21-2009, 03:20 PM

I'm in my 15 th. week, always struggled with supply. Now being pregnant I have almost nothing left. DS is almost 10 months, I'll doubt I make it with my freezer supply for 2 months. I tried 3 different formulas so far, he won't take any of them. I try goats milk next. I'm stressing a bit on that, if he refuses everything then what?!
Needless to say, I envy all of you that still have milk. Oh, another upsetting fact and not helping for supply- he weaned himself 2 weeks ago. He won't nurse anymore at all. I keep trying though.
Too all who still have white goodness- keep it up, it's gold.
#24 of 31 Old 07-21-2009, 05:27 PM

Mine is dwindling quickly. My DS still wants to nurse often but usually asks for a cup of water or milk once he is done.

"Hey, I've got nothin' to do today but smile." - S & G
#25 of 31 Old 07-22-2009, 01:15 AM

Quote:
BM donations- only if I get it from friends. Some people might be OK with pumping a bit extra here and there, but for a full-time supply for an almost 8 month old... not so much. There are no milk banks here, anything donated goes to the NICU's.
Have you heard of the Milkshare yahoo group? It's a wonderful resource, and I loved donating to several moms I found there. http://milkshare.birthingforlife.com/

#26 of 31 Old 07-22-2009, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilith1 View Post
I'm in my 15 th. week, always struggled with supply. Now being pregnant I have almost nothing left. DS is almost 10 months, I'll doubt I make it with my freezer supply for 2 months. I tried 3 different formulas so far, he won't take any of them. I try goats milk next. I'm stressing a bit on that, if he refuses everything then what?!
Needless to say, I envy all of you that still have milk. Oh, another upsetting fact and not helping for supply- he weaned himself 2 weeks ago. He won't nurse anymore at all. I keep trying though.
Too all who still have white goodness- keep it up, it's gold.

Probably weaned because the milk tastes different now- that's common for a lot of babies. So far that hasn't happened here, but... we'll see how it goes.

If he's 10 months and you've got some milk in the freezer, it wouldn't be the end of the world to switch him to whole milk or goats milk (almond, rice, soy milk). If he's eating solids- does he take a sippy? Can you try him on water/juice so he gets the idea that liquids other than breastmilk can come out of a sippy cup, and then introduce milks (or formula if you want, but I figure if you're close to a year then if he won't take it, don't stress about it)

DD takes formula NO problem (probably because when she first got some she was STARVING) and hates her sippy cup, but at least she can handle the bottle I guess.

#27 of 31 Old 07-22-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leila1213 View Post
Have you heard of the Milkshare yahoo group? It's a wonderful resource, and I loved donating to several moms I found there. http://milkshare.birthingforlife.com/
I'll check that out, thank you!

Even if she gets a few ounces of breastmilk a day she's still getting some immune-system boosters and stuff like that, so I'd be thrilled with even a few ounces.

#28 of 31 Old 07-23-2009, 12:12 AM

I think my supply is now dropping off - what a difference a couple days makes. I'm 13w 2d. DD(30 months) only nursed this morning and so we 'skipped' 4 sessions today and I still am unable to squeeze any out - couple of days ago it would have shot out. DD was able to put herself to sleep tonight without nursing. I'm expecting she'll be extra snuggly tomorrow. Hoping this naturally forced weaning goes ok.

Amy - mama to dd 2/2007 and ds who arrived 2/2010 my VBAC
                  Comfy Cozy Diapers
Newborn Rentals, Military Discount, Free Layaway

14 Day Guarantee - Return diapers if you don't like them

Follow us on Facebook & Twitter

#29 of 31 Old 07-23-2009, 02:22 PM

<If he's 10 months and you've got some milk in the freezer, it wouldn't be the end of the world to switch him to whole milk or goats milk (almond, rice, soy milk). If he's eating solids- does he take a sippy? Can you try him on water/juice so he gets the idea that liquids other than breastmilk can come out of a sippy cup, and then introduce milks (or formula if you want, but I figure if you're close to a year then if he won't take it, don't stress about it)> Quote

I will try that, he eats well. He eats everything on the table (besides citrus a.s.o.) so maybe I'm stressing too much on it. Thanks a lot though, another idea to try.
#30 of 31 Old 07-24-2009, 02:34 PM

Lol, here I am and just noticed a bit of colostrum last night for the first time this pregnancy! Actually it's really exiting... Haven't seen milk since last December...

Mama to Josie , lost 10/10/08 at 37.4 weeks .
and my rainbow baby, Isobella Mai ...born 1/12/2010 ! in profile...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page