Sleeping on stomach... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 07-21-2009, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering where everybody else is regarding this.

I remember for my daughter I could sleep on my belly well until the third trimester. It wasn't an issue.

Today I'm 14 weeks, I am still in regular clothes (minus one day I wore my bella band since I wanted to wear my hot, skinny jeans), but I'm not an uber thin girl - just average size 10.

Anyway, I wake up and roll around *a lot* while sleeping and the last three nights I've woken up on my stomach and in pain. It clearly doesn't feel good to be in that position, but there's not much there to stop me, yk?

Doesn't this seem early? Anybody else at this point yet? I'm trying to sleep sort of on my stomach with one leg all the way straight, one leg up in the fetal position and then my stomach is sort of at an angle to fit in that extra space. It's working for now.

Ugh. I seriously can't go through another 26 weeks of limited sleep. *yawn*

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#2 of 20 Old 07-21-2009, 11:33 AM

I am a stomach sleeper and did a body pillow last time... I think I got it around this time last year at target or something, I think it is in with the stuff for sending kids to college. Not that it replaced my most comfortable position, but it seemed to do well enough.

Due January 23rd with my
Missing Asa James, born into this world 11-17-08 and into the next 12-25-08
#3 of 20 Old 07-21-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanQueen99 View Post
I'm trying to sleep sort of on my stomach with one leg all the way straight, one leg up in the fetal position and then my stomach is sort of at an angle to fit in that extra space. It's working for now.
I started sleeping like that when I was pregnant with ds#1 and I still sleep like that now...

I also use a pillow to prop up my leg a bit and when I have a lot more belly I use the wedge pillow under the belly...

~paxye~
Mama to Xavier (July 02) , Colin (Sept 04), Khéna(Nov 06) & Wilhelmina (Jan 10)
#4 of 20 Old 07-21-2009, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

I guess I don't understand how I don't really have a full belly yet and it hurts already.

Weird second kid...

Angela
#5 of 20 Old 07-21-2009, 12:30 PM

I always freak out when I wake up on my stomach or my back...pregnant or not. I am a side sleeper for life.

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#6 of 20 Old 07-21-2009, 04:04 PM

It's not unusual for the uterus to be bigger earlier in subsequent pregnancies. I know mine is expanding sooner this time, even after a 7 year break. Last night was my first night of needing the body pillow, and I woke up on my back this morning - I always sleep face down. Weird enough, this was my first morning with no neck or back ache in a few weeks.
#7 of 20 Old 07-21-2009, 05:56 PM

It's not uncomfortable yet for me, but last time those full body pillows for pregnant women that curves around your whole body giving support for your belly and back...ummm I guess it would help if I knew the name, but can't remember, let me try to look it up real quick. Ok it's called the Snoogle. Anyhow it was awesome. The actual Snoogle is kind of pricey, but there are plenty of generic versions out there. Mine is some type of generic one from Baby Depot (inside Burlington Coat Factory). It cost me about $15. Totally worth it.
#8 of 20 Old 07-21-2009, 09:38 PM

I am never a tummy sleeper, but I am a back sleeper. I miss sleeping on my back. Sometimes I wake up in that position and my legs are numb. It sucks.

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#9 of 20 Old 07-21-2009, 10:25 PM

Ever since I was pg with my first, I have been a side sleeper. I guess I just got used to it with him and never stopped. I really can't sleep on my stomach anyway as I have to use a mask and CPAP machine at night to deal with sleep apnea.

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
#10 of 20 Old 07-22-2009, 12:45 AM

Wow, I really love sleeping on my belly, but obviously at some point it becomes too uncomfortable. I sleep with one leg bent propping my belly up sufficiently for now, but very soon I will have to resort to side sleeping...which I hate! But I hate sleeping on my back even more. I am a dedicated tummy sleeper and I don't really know when it is deemed unsafe? Maybe just when you feel uncomfortable?
#11 of 20 Old 07-22-2009, 07:44 AM

I loooovvveee sleeping on my tummy, but I can't anymore. It used to be the only way I could fall asleep. However due to the feeling of my belly being too squished, I have adapted to side sleeping.

I read somewhere that in pregnancy you shouldn't lie on your back for too long. They didn't say why - does anyone here know why? Is it true?
#12 of 20 Old 07-22-2009, 09:01 AM

i am also a stomach sleeper. but there are already a few things keeping me from it: nipple pain and pressure on the bladder. i'm sure it's my uterus pressing on my bladder, but it makes me feel like i have to pee even though i JUST WENT. so, side sleeping with a body pillow for now...and probably for the next year!

rainbow1284.gifbeth  stillheart.gifDW   blahblah.gif DD  Nov. 2009 and 1sttri.gif due Feb. 2013

#13 of 20 Old 07-22-2009, 09:35 AM

With my first pregnancy it got uncomfortable to sleep on my stomach very early. I know I had to stop by week 15 or 16. This time around, so far, I'm still comfortable on my tummy (for now!).

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
#14 of 20 Old 07-22-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella-6 View Post
I loooovvveee sleeping on my tummy, but I can't anymore. It used to be the only way I could fall asleep. However due to the feeling of my belly being too squished, I have adapted to side sleeping.

I read somewhere that in pregnancy you shouldn't lie on your back for too long. They didn't say why - does anyone here know why? Is it true?
I've heard this before and supposedly (particularly later in pregnancy) the weight of the utuerus can decrease the blood flow to the uterus. I asked my midwife about this and she said this was true, but I could still sleep in whatever position was comfortable for me. She said I would become very uncomfortable lying on my back wayyyyy before the baby was at risk for any harm because I would feel as if I were having a decrease in blood flow (i.e. light headed, dizzy, shortness of breath) So, I don't think it's a cause for stress if you happen to turnover on your back while sleep.
#15 of 20 Old 07-22-2009, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NekeT View Post
It's not uncomfortable yet for me, but last time those full body pillows for pregnant women that curves around your whole body giving support for your belly and back...ummm I guess it would help if I knew the name, but can't remember, let me try to look it up real quick. Ok it's called the Snoogle. Anyhow it was awesome. The actual Snoogle is kind of pricey, but there are plenty of generic versions out there. Mine is some type of generic one from Baby Depot (inside Burlington Coat Factory). It cost me about $15. Totally worth it.
I'll look into the Snoogle knock-off. I have a body pillow, but it's not cutting it for now.

Angela
#16 of 20 Old 07-22-2009, 12:20 PM

I'm very much a belly sleeper and now being pregnant with my first, I'm not looking forward to having to adapt. I tend to sleep as others have mentioned, with one leg straight and the other in bent sort of like in a fetal position. I also throw my pillow on the floor and just use the flat bed.

I'll definitely be researching body pillows as my belly sleeping is going to be hard to give up.

DD#1 arrived 2/7/10!
#17 of 20 Old 07-22-2009, 12:40 PM

I sleepo exactly as you described: one leg straight, one fetal, belly shoved to the side a bit. This is my 3rd and my belly is BIG (has been for a few weeks), so it already makes a statement if I squish it even slightly !

Darcy mama to Dillon, Marah and Leo, partner to Jeremy
#18 of 20 Old 07-24-2009, 02:27 PM

I'm a stomach sleeper, too. With DS, I had to change to a different position a little after 20 weeks because it was too uncomfortable.

brandi
Wife to Thomas (03/05) Mama to Tommy (04/06) & Emma (01/10)
#19 of 20 Old 07-25-2009, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NekeT View Post
I've heard this before and supposedly (particularly later in pregnancy) the weight of the utuerus can decrease the blood flow to the uterus. I asked my midwife about this and she said this was true, but I could still sleep in whatever position was comfortable for me. She said I would become very uncomfortable lying on my back wayyyyy before the baby was at risk for any harm because I would feel as if I were having a decrease in blood flow (i.e. light headed, dizzy, shortness of breath) So, I don't think it's a cause for stress if you happen to turnover on your back while sleep.
Thanks for posting this. It makes sense, because my intuition was telling me that it was totally fine to lie on my back. My tummy however... heh that's another story!
#20 of 20 Old 07-26-2009, 01:41 PM

At 17 weeks I am already uncomfortable on my back (boohoo) but I got really used to doing the belly/side things (one leg straight, one bent and with a little bit of folded blanket or pillow under the knee) It seems to be very comfortable for me and the bunboy. Im guessing as he grows I'll have to switch to sleeping more and more on my side.

sleepytime.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page