When will you set up the nursery? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 08-06-2009, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering. With our dd, I didn't get it set up until late in the third tri because of all the buying of furniture and such. I kind of had a strange excitement for it today and then reminded myself that I'm not even quite half way through this pregnancy!

married to my best friend since july of '93... mama to sage, who came when the pumpkins came in '05... and logan, who came with the hoar frost in january '10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 31 Old 08-06-2009, 01:17 PM

We really won't be having a nursery for these babies. They will be co-sleeping with us. All of their things are going into my older son's room (he still sleeps with us too). We do have an extra room in the house but I really like having a guest room and I just don't want to lose that yet!

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#3 of 31 Old 08-06-2009, 01:37 PM

We won't have a nursery either... the baby will sleep with us until he/she is big enough to share a bed with ds#3 in the boys room (he still sleeps with us too)... but he has a double bed put sideways so it is like a child size king size bed...

I think I might have to buy a new dresser though since we only have two dressers for the 3 boys...

~paxye~
Mama to Xavier (July 02) , Colin (Sept 04), Khéna(Nov 06) & Wilhelmina (Jan 10)
#4 of 31 Old 08-06-2009, 01:38 PM

We won't have a nursery, as such. But we will have to rearrange my son's sleeping situation and get a new dresser or changing table for the baby. (The dresser will have to go where my son's toddler bed is right now, which means he won't be able to come into our room at night unless we work out some kind of situation where he can sleep on a mat on the floor on my DP's side of the bed and my DP not step on him!)

The whole thing will be disruptive to my son's normal way of doing things, so I want it done by about the end of October. Baby is due mid January, and I don't want my son getting the idea that it's the baby's fault he can't sleep in his "little bed" anymore.

Expat mama to my 7-year-old Halloween boy and my cheeky preschooler, who came before the midwife in January 2010... Gestating a new bean, debuting spring 2014!
#5 of 31 Old 08-06-2009, 01:39 PM

We need to have the walls repaired in the soon-to-be nursery (previous owners tore off wallpaper and killed the walls - bozos). Right now there's a crib that needs to be assembled, the CD collection and the clothes that are still too big for my daughter.

I figure I'll get it done after the newbie arrives...much like I did for my kid. I'm insanely lazy.

We're co-sleepers, too, but I need a place for clothes and such. I so don't want my room being the catch-all.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#6 of 31 Old 08-06-2009, 01:49 PM

At our house, the nursery is where you go when you are about 2.5yo. There's no need to set it up, because it's already in use. The newborn will be in with us.

Caefi
#7 of 31 Old 08-06-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxye View Post

I think I might have to buy a new dresser though since we only have two dressers for the 3 boys...
I really need a new dresser too.

I also really have to figure out the co-sleeping situation.

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#8 of 31 Old 08-06-2009, 03:12 PM

The crib is always in our room but in a few months, we will move Sarah to a toddler bed in her sister's room and that will leave the crib open for the babies. We do plan on moving our bed over next to it and use it like a side car so I don't have to get out of bed to nurse them at night.

We have about 700 square feet of house to finish upstairs so our boys can move up there. Then their room will become the girls room and the girls room with become my office/sewing area. Once all the office stuff is out of my room, there will be more space for twin stuff.

Rachel
Mommy to DS13, DS12, DS7, DD5, DD3, and twin GIRLS : born at home in the water on 12/18/09
#9 of 31 Old 08-06-2009, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
No nursery here. We will be cosleeping probably until she is 3 or older LOL

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#10 of 31 Old 08-06-2009, 04:31 PM

We are moving later on this month..the new house has a room off of the master bedroom that will be the nursery. Even though we will be co-sleeping for awhile. I cant wait to start to decorate probably since it has been so long since I had a little one the decorate for. We have already picked out bedding and such...now I just have to find the money to pay for it all.....has anyone made your own crib bedding???

Engaged to my soulmate Thomas ...mom to Benjamin (11) Savannah (under a year) , and expecting Henry (January 21, 2011 )
#11 of 31 Old 08-06-2009, 04:53 PM

We had DD's nursery ready when I was 7 months preg, my goal was to finish it by the end of Sept. and I finished it, by golly! She still has yet to sleep in there, and we've never used the change table. She MIGHT sleep there by the time this new baby is born, but... we'll see.

This baby we're using it as a good excuse to paint out the horrid dark green that was in the 3rd bedroom when we moved in.

We're also moving my dresser into that room for baby clothes and buying a closet organizer so we can put my clothes somewhere- I hardly use my dresser anyway, no big loss.

Grace - wife to Jeff and mama to Nigella (11/08) and Orrin (01/10)- expecting a new addition (05/12)! Life is a whirlwind, but I'm learning to enjoy the ride!

#12 of 31 Old 08-06-2009, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Sheepish.gif

#13 of 31 Old 08-06-2009, 05:20 PM

DH is painting after we find out what we're havin which is in September, and then we'll probably start setting up the nursery in November - very exciting!!

♥ Hubby and I expecting our first : January 12, 2010 ♥
#14 of 31 Old 08-06-2009, 06:04 PM

The nursery is already kind of set up since we have a downstairs young child's room done in Beatrix Potter. It is across the hall from our bedroom and has a crib, a rocker/recliner, and a dresser, plus all the baby blankets, Boppy, etc. Dd sleeps there right now until somewhere between 1-3 AM, when she wakes and joins us in our bed for the remainder of the night. I already put the neutral newborn clothes in the dresser for the new baby.

The baby is going to sleep in our room when he/she gets here but someday they will share that nursery room with dd.

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#15 of 31 Old 08-06-2009, 07:41 PM

We only have two bedrooms so baby will be with us for at least the first year. After that I have no idea! Our bedrooms are tiny. It's gonna be hard to fit two into one room.

Instead I am redoing my daughters room. I wanted to for her birthday, but pregnancy fatigue got to me first. Her room is still baby-ish and we are going to make it into a bigger girl room. So, we will be doing a room. Just not for baby!

SAHM to DD (May/07) and DS (Jan/10)
#16 of 31 Old 08-06-2009, 08:00 PM

I don't think we'll be doing much of anything. We already have a nursery setup for DS. So this baby is going to cosleep with us, but get diapers/clothes changed in DS's room. Probably down the road we'll redo the office as a shared room for both kids.
#17 of 31 Old 08-06-2009, 10:56 PM

We are short on space in this house and hope to move in a year or two, so we will just be setting another crib up in DS's room. I worked really hard on his room when I was pg with him. It was the first time I was able to do a nursery so it's very boyish, but I love it so I don't care what the sex of this baby is he/she will be in that room.

Christina, mom to Alaina, Addison, Noah, and Magdalyn
#18 of 31 Old 08-07-2009, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemgal053080 View Post
...has anyone made your own crib bedding???
I haven't done it. Are you a member of sewingmamas.com? A really good message board for seamstresses at all levels, with a pretty AP-ish vibe to it, too. Join up and ask over there!

Expat mama to my 7-year-old Halloween boy and my cheeky preschooler, who came before the midwife in January 2010... Gestating a new bean, debuting spring 2014!
#19 of 31 Old 08-07-2009, 08:22 PM

no nursery here either. we are putting a co-sleeper crib next to the bed. will need an extra dresser, though!

Mama to a 3 year old awesome kid, Rowan (aka Mister Boopy) and TTC another at 43!

fambedsingle1.gif gd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif vbac.gif goorganic.jpg

Herbalist, Acupuncture student, Mama, Blogger!

#20 of 31 Old 08-08-2009, 11:21 AM

Even though we bedshare/cosleep, we still set up a nursery. I like having one central location where the baby's things are. We didn't do a nursery for our 2nd & it drove me crazy since his stuff was all over. I like organization.

We are ripping up the floor in Sept. & putting in the last of the hardwood. Then painting the upper portion of the wall, then sanding & repainting the wainscotting on the lower portion. This room was our "junk room" and has alot of stuff that will be donated since it will now be for the baby's things.

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#21 of 31 Old 08-08-2009, 11:36 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
No nursery here.

Aeona - married to super hot nerd Toby . . . mama to Grace (9) Evangeline (7) Duncan 11.14.08   and Henry (4) born at home. Expecting again early December!  

#22 of 31 Old 08-08-2009, 12:07 PM

After we finish building our "apartment"--an addition on my in-laws' house. Right now we're at the mudding and sanding stage.

In all honesty, we probably won't have much of a "nursery" since we'll be cosleeping and will keep the crib in our bedroom. More of an alcove where the baby's things and diaper changing area will be kept.
#23 of 31 Old 08-08-2009, 02:44 PM

I am waiting till we find out the sex to rearrange bedrooms. Right now, our house has 3 bedrooms upstairs. One is the master, one has my 6.5 year old DS and my almost 4 year old DD sharing, and one is a guest room. I think we will end up having a girls' room and a boys' room. We have a downstairs office that needs some work (new paint and flooring), and plan to buy a sleeper sofa for in there to make it a guest room/play room/office. We get grandparents visiting pretty often, so having a guest room is nice. We'll also have to get a new bed for DD as she is using the crib with side off as a toddler bed for now. But, no big rush, baby will start out in our room in a pack'n'play/our bed anyway at least till he/she does not wake up 5 times a night anymore.

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
#24 of 31 Old 08-08-2009, 04:59 PM

I'm not bothering this time around. With my first I had everything painted and "perfect" 6 weeks prior to her birth and then she didn't even use the room for at least 6 months after she was born. I didn't realize during my pregnancy that I would actually be obsessive about keeping my newborn close to me all the time (I also thought some of the advice in Babywise sounded alright... ). So with my next child I had a nursery again but not as planned, just sort of shifted furniture and put his clothes in there but again he didn't use the nursery for 6-8 months and then most for naps. This time I will figure it out once the baby is home and play it by ear. I think the nursery set up must fulfill some sort of nesting instinct even though in my experience, for our family, an actual nursery is sort of useless for quite a long time!

"Hey, I've got nothin' to do today but smile." - S & G
#25 of 31 Old 08-08-2009, 11:25 PM

This baby was a huge surprise for us, so we definitely don't have space for a nursury right now. Even if we did, I plan to co-sleep if possible. I'm a first timer though, so I'm not sure what will work out for us. We just have a queen sized bed which could be cramped with three. I'm not really sure what sidecar cribs are, but I think it sounds like something we might have to do. We'll probably be moving a few months after the baby is born (I know, we're nuts) and then we'll have space for a nursury, but I still doubt we'll actually use it for sleeping. I just couldn't imagine putting my little one in another room all night long, besides the impracticality it would create for breastfeeding.

Married 12/08 to Chilean DH and mama to DD 2/2/10. We're a bilingual home and we familybed1.gif and toddler.gif

Expecting #2 in late June!

#26 of 31 Old 08-09-2009, 06:48 PM

We will also need to do some rearranging with the other two kiddos before the new baby gets here. Baby will sleep in our room in our bed or in their hammock in our room at first, but we need a space for a change table and their clothes and blankets as no way will that fit in my room. We tend to move the hammock around during the day, and it worked with my other two until they were toddlers. At night the baby usually nurses and sleeps in my bed.

Mama to 13, and 10 and 4.
#27 of 31 Old 08-09-2009, 07:16 PM

sleep in the co-sleeper in our room until he/she out grows it, then we will likely set up the crib in DD's room. We will be selling the house next spring when babe is a few months old, so we're not setting anything up beyond that.

This reminds me, we'll have to find a dresser or something to put baby's things in. AND somewhere to put it. Lol. We are running low on space here!

Samantha, Student, wife to my best friend (1.30.09) Mama to three beautiful daughters and and a handsome little son
#28 of 31 Old 08-09-2009, 08:18 PM

I've had a lot of people asking me about our nursery. I have told a few people we aren't really doing one and they were horrified This is our first. We plan to do a side car arrangement since we only have a queen and not much extra space in it. In our extra bedroom - supposed to be an office- we will need a bureau and armoire for the baby's things. The closet in the room is DH's. We have a completely unfinished upstairs that we hope to do in the next 1-2 years. I don't want to invest in doing a whole nursery when the downstairs room is actually the office, and when the upstairs is done we will be moving the bedrooms up there. I am actually feeling pretty ok with not having the cutesy nursery...we'll do a super cute toddler/big kid room later on. Not having the nursery I think will help us just relax and enjoy cosleeping and being near our baby...no empty crib and room making us feel guilty or like we are 'doing it wrong'.

Mama to a beautiful baby girl born 01/21/2010
#29 of 31 Old 08-09-2009, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEcatlady17 View Post
I've had a lot of people asking me about our nursery. I have told a few people we aren't really doing one and they were horrified This is our first. We plan to do a side car arrangement since we only have a queen and not much extra space in it. In our extra bedroom - supposed to be an office- we will need a bureau and armoire for the baby's things. The closet in the room is DH's. We have a completely unfinished upstairs that we hope to do in the next 1-2 years. I don't want to invest in doing a whole nursery when the downstairs room is actually the office, and when the upstairs is done we will be moving the bedrooms up there. I am actually feeling pretty ok with not having the cutesy nursery...we'll do a super cute toddler/big kid room later on. Not having the nursery I think will help us just relax and enjoy cosleeping and being near our baby...no empty crib and room making us feel guilty or like we are 'doing it wrong'.
Ya know, if you feel later like you want some "cutesiness", you could always get some of those stick on decals for the wall or cute bedding. But really, I agree that you don't HAVE to have all of it ready. We did not have it all ready for our first either, and he slept in our room anyway till he was like 9 months old. He totally hated his crib, and ended up on a mattress on the floor. It was not till his sister was like 6 months or so and moved in with him (and he was 3) that we got DH's old childhood furniture (bed and dresser) and decorated the room a bit more for both of them. I honestly think the baby does not care.

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
#30 of 31 Old 08-11-2009, 10:31 AM

Will get a new used bassinet for my side of the bed and set up our old crib and changing table much much later. I haven't really thought too much about it. So much going on with 6 year old getting ready for the first grade, summer camps, soccer, work... Very different than my first.

Crunchy con wife with 1 DS and 1 lil DD born in Jan. I love breastfeeding, CDing and Friday night family bed.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page