Chit chat, August 10-16th - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-11-2009, 07:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthmode View Post
Food: I'm such a cliche...zesty dill pickles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astraia View Post
I accidentally bought a BIG jar of sweet pickles DH hates pickles so he'll never eat them and I think they're gross right now. I might end up throwing out the whole thing (unless I can find someone who wants them).

I hate sweet pickles and at the moment I am not liking dills.... but I went to Costco and bought two large jars of Kosher pickles... So salty but SO delicious!!!

~paxye~
Mama to Xavier (July 02) , Colin (Sept 04), Khéna(Nov 06) & Wilhelmina (Jan 10)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2009, 08:12 PM

My husband is very against doing an amnio. The 12 week ultrasound tech said it looked good to her. So, for now we are going with another ultrasound, tomorrow. I don't think I could do an abortion this late, especially not after another couple of weeks. My midwife said there are waiting lists of people who want to adopt a down's baby, so if we do end up with a down's baby that we decided we can't keep that is what we will do. But yeah, 1/250 isn't that much of a risk. Especially with a good 12 week ultrasound. So, I am trying not to worry about it. It's hard not to.

*eta* just to keep from worrying I am considering the amnio. I am trying to tell my husband about how little risk the amnio probably is. Especially when we would be going to a clinic with tons of experience. But, I already went on and on about all the reasons why I didn't want one as I was working through the initial reaction to the results. So, he is very against it now!

SAHM to DD (May/07) and DS (Jan/10)
Old 08-11-2009, 08:25 PM

Name: Shelby
Weeks/Days along: 18 wks 6 days
Appointments: OB/GYN appt on the 14th
Symptoms: low back kinda hurts but thats about it this week...thank god...ooh and I am horny all the time...lol..thomas loves this of couse
Food: anything japanese or chinese
Exercise: I started working again about 2 weeks ago...i wait tables so more walking than I was doing preiously
Body changes and other milestones: finally starting to show a little.
Thoughts: soooo ready to move into our new house so I can start paint the babys room.

Engaged to my soulmate Thomas ...mom to Benjamin (11) Savannah (under a year) , and expecting Henry (January 21, 2011 )
Old 08-12-2009, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemgal053080 View Post
ooh and I am horny all the time...lol..thomas loves this of couse
so jealous!! I haven't had a sex drive since... um... last March. That's right. More than a year.

Once a week I try to "grin and bear it" and pretend that i'm enjoying it (I mean, who wants to DTD with someone whose just gritting their teeth?) but ugh, not having fun there at ALL.

Poor DH And it makes me a worse wife because i don't want him to think I'm in the mood so I just uh... don't touch him. Hmm. We need to find a work around.

Grace - wife to Jeff and mama to Nigella (11/08) and Orrin (01/10)- expecting a new addition (05/12)! Life is a whirlwind, but I'm learning to enjoy the ride!

Old 08-12-2009, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshadow View Post
*eta* just to keep from worrying I am considering the amnio. I am trying to tell my husband about how little risk the amnio probably is. Especially when we would be going to a clinic with tons of experience. But, I already went on and on about all the reasons why I didn't want one as I was working through the initial reaction to the results. So, he is very against it now!

Just tell him, "Wow, apparently the information I was reading about is TOTALLY outdated! I can't believe no one is paying any attention to the NEW research!"

I think you need to do what makes you feel comfortable- and at least you have a workable solution if the results are not what you're hoping for (not that that would make it any less devastating).

Good luck on your decision! You should be able to speak with a genetic counsellor as well - they're trained in helping people discuss their options and come to terms with what it all means for them. Ask your midwife if one is available to you.

Grace - wife to Jeff and mama to Nigella (11/08) and Orrin (01/10)- expecting a new addition (05/12)! Life is a whirlwind, but I'm learning to enjoy the ride!

Old 08-12-2009, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Good luck on your decision! You should be able to speak with a genetic counsellor as well - they're trained in helping people discuss their options and come to terms with what it all means for them. Ask your midwife if one is available to you.
Huh. My midwife said a genetic counsellor wouldn't do any good because all they would talk about was the amnio. Well, I am going in for an ultrasound tomorrow, so I can request to talk to one after that if I feel I might do the amnio. I did talk to my husband again tonight and he feels better about the adoption option if there is a problem. But, still part of me would like to know just so I know.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:52 AM

Quote:
so jealous!! I haven't had a sex drive since... um... last March. That's right. More than a year.

Once a week I try to "grin and bear it" and pretend that i'm enjoying it (I mean, who wants to DTD with someone whose just gritting their teeth?) but ugh, not having fun there at ALL.

Poor DH And it makes me a worse wife because i don't want him to think I'm in the mood so I just uh... don't touch him. Hmm. We need to find a work around.
I say that he loves it...but WHAT IF ....he is just grinning and bearing it ??? :

Engaged to my soulmate Thomas ...mom to Benjamin (11) Savannah (under a year) , and expecting Henry (January 21, 2011 )
Old 08-12-2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemgal053080 View Post
I say that he loves it...but WHAT IF ....he is just grinning and bearing it ??? :

A man? Grinning and bearing it? Nahhhh, not possible.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Huh. My midwife said a genetic counsellor wouldn't do any good because all they would talk about was the amnio. Well, I am going in for an ultrasound tomorrow, so I can request to talk to one after that if I feel I might do the amnio. I did talk to my husband again tonight and he feels better about the adoption option if there is a problem. But, still part of me would like to know just so I know.

I've seen a genetic counsellor (because I carry Muscular Dystrophy). The first meeting she told me all about MD, how it's treated (it isn't), the risks, the liklihood of it passing, etc- all stuff I knew, but that's fine, it's nice to have someone other than family understand how it all works! This was before I got pregnant.

When I got pregnant she laid out the different options available- amnio or CVS. She explained the risks of each. She asked me how i feel about abortion, what my plan would be if we got negative results, how my family would feel about it, if I was telling family, if my husband and I had discussed it in depth or were just trying not to think about, blah blah blah. She was really "counselling" on abortion, adoption, or keeping a disabled child and helping us walk through our thoughts and emotions on the whole thing.

YES, she is the person who did the referral to an amnio but I'm sure if we'd gone to talk to her and decided against it she wouldn't care. Her job isn't to force all parents for testing it's to help the parents decide what's best for them.

Might be different there, but that's my experience with it! And again, it was so nice to talk to someone who understands that disease does not immediately mean abortion, who understands that sometimes you just need to know to prepare yourself for it, etc. She was kind, calm, and non judgemental.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
So, my midwife called and said I my integrated screening came back positive, 1/250. My husband and I are trying to figure out what to do. I don't feel comforatable getting an amnio with the risk of miscarriage. But, at the same time I know with my history of depression that having a child with a disability would be really hard on me. I just hate not knowing.
Just another perspective on this...I too have dealt with depression for years (I am currently on Prozac again during pregnancy to help with it), and I have a child with a mild disability (high functioning autism). For me, yes there are times when some of his quirks and meltdowns are hard to deal with, but the joys he has brought has far outweighed the hardships. With therapy and special ed at school, he has really grown and developed a lot, and I get so proud when he accomplishes somethng new, even if it is somewhat later than other kids because sometimes it is that much harder for him. He is my sweet boy and I can't imagine life without him. When I am feeling down, a lot of times he will come up and give me hugs, "so you feel better Mommy".

So, good luck with your decision on the amnio, and I hope all goes well for you!

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:16 PM

Name: Cat

Weeks/Days along: 16W2D

Appointments: had a cervical length measurement yesterday (.32) and i have a prenatal checkup tomorrow with the practice's midwife. have another cervical measurement next week and also next week is my big level 2 ultrasound

Symptoms: i'm feeling better in the morning, and now feeling sick at night. i'm also still just exhausted all the time. this is difficult for me b/c i'm used to being the energizer bunny

Food: eh. i eat, but i'm not really enjoying food now

Exercise: very little. i take the dog on several walks a day, and i've checked into swimming programs at my local Y, but they all seem so structured like you have to do laps or water aerobics or whatever when i just want to paddle around.

Body changes and other milestones: my belly has popped, and i'm losing my bellybutton

Thoughts: i am starting to be brave and telling folks about the baby. i sometimes wish i could keep it a complete secret until the baby arrives.

mom to Andrew   born Feb 6th, already a mom to child with fur; and still missing and still wondering about the lost possibilities Mar 17, 2009
Old 08-12-2009, 05:26 PM

Name Charlene

Weeks/Days along 18wks, 5days

Appointments: Next weeks m/w appointment and ultrasound

Symptoms: tired, tummy is getting bigger, and lower back is getting more and more sore.

Food: Yes Please!!!!

Exercise: ...not so much.

Body changes and other milestones: the belly button is getting more flat as the tummy gets more round. ....and my back is getting more and more sore. I'm over the mind-numbing fatigue of the first trimester, but still need a nap!

Thoughts: starting to think about work after babies...considering a career change - possibly a switch to teaching (get summers off with the kids), or doing a MSc and pursuing more international work...

oh ya, and we are buying a van in the next couple of weeks!

cheers,
charlene
Old 08-12-2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:
A man? Grinning and bearing it? Nahhhh, not possible.

well thats probly true...

Old 08-12-2009, 06:44 PM

Got my preliminary amnio results back

Boy.

Should know about Muscular Dystrophy in 2-3 weeks.

I admit it, I'm crying a bit.

Old 08-12-2009, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Big big hugs, Astraia.

Expat mama to my 7-year-old Halloween boy and my cheeky preschooler, who came before the midwife in January 2010... Gestating a new bean, debuting spring 2014!
Old 08-12-2009, 07:50 PM

Astraia ... I know if I find out its a boy I will be pretty upset, more than I have a right to be. I have just convinced myself its a girl.

Name Serena

Weeks/Days along: 17 wks, 3 days

Appointments: Had an OB appt this last Monday with a new OB - it was so short. We literally heard two heartbeats before he whisked the doppler away. DH was upset because that is why he came with me.

Symptoms: Appetite increasing, tired more, still dealing with daily headaches.

Food: I hate living at my in-laws because of food. Enough said.

Exercise: I did do the 20 mile backpacking trip this past weekend with a 10 lb pack. I was so sore but it was great.

Body changes and other milestones: I am starting to feel more movement and my belly just keeps growing.

Thoughts: Just stressed at the moment. DH is in the process of applying for an officer commission in the navy. It is a path we hadn't really considered until recently. But in the meantime, things are still really hard with no job and no place to live. I am really trying to get used to the fact that because of this career plan, DH might not be here for the birth or for awhile after the baby is born. Its a hard thing to wrap my head around.

Novel writing student Mama to ds (8y) and new DD 1-13-10.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:

Boy.

**hugs***

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
Old 08-13-2009, 01:03 AM

Quote:

Boy.

sorry to hear that you are upset.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:17 AM

Astraia. Waiting to hear is hard. I hope you get good news! I couldn't imagine waiting that long.

We had our ultrasound today to look for signs of Down's and they saw no markers!! It's no guarantee, but the doctor we talk to was very optimistic about it all. So, we feel pretty good about it and have decided not to do the amnio. Oh, and it's a boy. We wanted a lil sis for my daughter. That was a huge reason why we decided to have another child. I cried when I started to sort through her baby things that I can now get rid of. I can't do that yet. I know I will adore this baby and part of me didn't want to find out because I didn't want to be disappointed. I know when I hold him, and probably a lot sooner than that I will be totally thrilled! We just need to get use to the idea. The most important thing is he looks perfect!

Old 08-13-2009, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Astraia. Waiting to hear is hard. I hope you get good news! I couldn't imagine waiting that long.

We had our ultrasound today to look for signs of Down's and they saw no markers!! It's no guarantee, but the doctor we talk to was very optimistic about it all. So, we feel pretty good about it and have decided not to do the amnio. Oh, and it's a boy. We wanted a lil sis for my daughter. That was a huge reason why we decided to have another child. I cried when I started to sort through her baby things that I can now get rid of. I can't do that yet. I know I will adore this baby and part of me didn't want to find out because I didn't want to be disappointed. I know when I hold him, and probably a lot sooner than that I will be totally thrilled! We just need to get use to the idea. The most important thing is he looks perfect!

I was so looking forward to another girl too- I have so much cute girl stuff that now needs to be packed away.

I'm getting excited though. I'm still TOTALLY flabbergasted, and obviously worried about the MD- I keep thinking, "I lost the 50/50 draw on gender, just watch we lose the 50/50 draw on MD." But that's negative thinking. I shouldn't do that it. It is what it is, too late to change anything.

I still need to tell my family. I told them we'd know at the end of the week. My dad has MD and will NOT be thrilled, neither will my mom, and my sister said last year that she'd never forgive me if I had a baby with MD. So. Yeah. This should be a fun day.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:21 AM

Part of me wishes I didn't do the amnio this time either, that we never found out.

I know I'll love this baby when he's born, regardless of gender and health, but now I have doubts and concerns and worries that wouldn't've existed before.

Except I was 100% CONVINCED he was a girl. So if i'd gone the whole pregnancy thinking "girl"... well, I mighta been a bit cranky for a few days :P

Old 08-13-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:

Boy.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:

That is some wonderful news!

I'm really hoping for a girl, too...I took DD shopping yesterday and not only was I having fun starting to pick out her fall and winter clothes, she was having so much fun, too. She hugged my legs and said "Aw, Mama"...it was the cutest thing ever. My little shopping friend...

I have so many beautiful girl clothes and shoes, too...and three sisters. I will love any baby of course, but oh...I want another little girl. Don't feel bad about your disappointment. I think it's totally normal, especially when we're expecting another result.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:28 PM

Name: Mary

Weeks/Days along: 15 weeks, 5 days

Appointments: Had OB appt earlier this week, as well as admissions appt for the birth center

Symptoms: Sore bbs! Otherwise, feeling good.

Food: I'm paying close attention to my intake, because I'm, oh, 25ish lbs heavier than at the start of my last pregnancy. I eat when I am hungry, until I am full, but am really trying to reign in emotional eating and avoid excessive sugar/fat. So far I haven't gained, I've actually lost about 3 lbs.

Exercise: Daily, for an hour, either my prenatal yoga DVD, or my Fit Mama prenatal DVD (light cardio). I want to be strong for the birht!

Body changes and other milestones: Tummy definitely sticking out. I think I still just look fat, not pg!

Thoughts: Trying not to stress about body image issues, trying to be as healthy as possible. DH doesn't want to know the sex, so at the last appointment (when he wasn't there) I asked the OB to check, and I have a pretty good guess at what we're having. ::: But I promised DH not to tell ANYONE, so I'll keep my word!
Old 08-13-2009, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Sunshadow, that's great news.

Marylizah, you are so sneaky! Do you really think you'll be able to keep the hims or the hers out of your vocabulary for the next six months?!

Expat mama to my 7-year-old Halloween boy and my cheeky preschooler, who came before the midwife in January 2010... Gestating a new bean, debuting spring 2014!
Old 08-13-2009, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
***My dad has MD and will NOT be thrilled, neither will my mom, and my sister said last year that she'd never forgive me if I had a baby with MD. So. Yeah. This should be a fun day.

That's beyond hurtful for someone to say, especially a sibling. Sorry you're going through that.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
I was so looking forward to another girl too- I have so much cute girl stuff that now needs to be packed away.

I'm getting excited though. I'm still TOTALLY flabbergasted, and obviously worried about the MD- I keep thinking, "I lost the 50/50 draw on gender, just watch we lose the 50/50 draw on MD." But that's negative thinking. I shouldn't do that it. It is what it is, too late to change anything.

I still need to tell my family. I told them we'd know at the end of the week. My dad has MD and will NOT be thrilled, neither will my mom, and my sister said last year that she'd never forgive me if I had a baby with MD. So. Yeah. This should be a fun day.
I'm so sorry, mama. How stressful. And I'm sorry you have so little support from your family. Keep us posted.

User Tag List