Chit chat, August 10-16th - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-10-2009, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lots of people having their 'big' ultrasounds these day! Very exciting!

Post along the following lines...

Name
Weeks/Days along
Appointments
Symptoms
Food
Exercise
Body changes and other milestones
Thoughts

Me for now:
Weeks/Days along: 17 weeks this week
Appointments: Scary OB/hematology appointment on Friday
Symptoms: Tired. Is that a symptom if my toddler is waking me up? Irritable.
Food: Right now I am eating garlic stuffed olives. Tomorrow we are making sushi for dinner
Exercise: None in particular, but we walk or bike everywhere
Body changes and other milestones: My trousers are tighter and tighter, but I can't bring myself to wear maternity bottoms yet. A rubber band is my friend. I can definitely feel the baby moving now, not consistently, but it's definitely the baby and not gas.
Thoughts: I had very low platelets at the end of my last pregnancy (my level was down to 8, the normal range is 150-300), and have an appointment to discuss this with a hematologist and an OB (the first doctors I will have seen (and hopefully will see!) this pregnancy besides my GP) on Friday. I just found out that my levels were low at the beginning of July. I am scared they will 1) want me to go on steroids for the rest of the pregnancy (to suppress my immune system to my platelets can recover) and/or 2) insists it's not safe for me to have a home birth.

Expat mama to my 7-year-old Halloween boy and my cheeky preschooler, who came before the midwife in January 2010... Gestating a new bean, debuting spring 2014!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2009, 04:20 PM

Oh I am hoping that everything turns out ok with your platelets.

Name: Mandie
Weeks/Days along: 17 weeks 6 days
Appointments: I have a midwife appointment tomorrow. Hopefully we will schedule our ultrasound for sometime this week/ next week!
Symptoms: Just general blah-ness (yes, I am aware that isn't a word).
Food: I have been eating like crap lately. I am at this weird stage where nothing sounds good.
Exercise: Walking every day, although I haven't gone out in the last two days for fear of passing out from the extreme heat! It is really freakin' hot outside.
Body changes and other milestones: Getting bigger by the day. Although I have only gained a couple of pounds.
Thoughts: I am really looking forward to our ultrasound. I can't wait to schedule it so that I can countdown obsessively. I just want to know that everything is ok in there and I want to find out the genders. I need to feel that bond with the babies right now.

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
Old 08-10-2009, 05:22 PM

Name: indigoscot's dp

Weeks/Days along: 17w 1d

Appointments: dp had an endo appt this morning as her tsh was hyperthyroid. she has hashimoto's so is on synthroid to control it. endo said to reduce her dosage by 12mg and her ob will check it again in a month. we had an ob appt last week and everything is fine. our BIG u/s is sept 1, which seems like an eon away, lol!

Symptoms: dp threw up 4 evenings in a row last week. she is trying to wean herself off the zofran and so far it is a hit or miss. her belly has definitely popped and she is having intermittant flutters, mostly on the left hand side. She has been extra tired again of late, i think baby must be going through a growth spurt!

Food: craving meat and hummus w/ pita bread - also making fruit smoothies for breakfast. snacking on goldfish, cottage cheese, grapes, blueberries, strawberries, crunch'n'munch and the occasional small bowl of ice cream.

Exercise: none

Body changes and other milestones: bigger belly, starting to get a little of the pregnant lady waddle.

Thoughts: again, really wishing the nausea would stop.

g

my family - dp d heartbeat.gif, ds b biggrinbounce.gif (4), ds f thumbsuck.gif (2), dd a baby.gif (jan '12), ddog m dog2.gif
Old 08-10-2009, 05:54 PM

Name: Bekkie
Weeks/Days along: 18 weeks
Appointments: OB/GYN appt on the 13th - slightly nervous because it's the first appointment my DH can't attend
Symptoms: constipated, irritable, lethargic (maybe I'm just using pregnancy as an excuse ), bleeding/stuffy nose, sore eyes, & headache.
Food: chicken noodle soup is my favorite this week
Exercise: going to take up beginner belly dancing
Body changes and other milestones: feeling like a spider crawling on the left side of my stomach - read that's what the baby feels like so yay
Thoughts: Terrified about the thought of giving birth, keep making the mistake of watching tv shows about giving birth and cringe in pain every time... I try to tell myself that the moms are happy at the end of it but I can't seem to shake the absolute fear of every aspect of labour.

Crunchy: hope your appt with the hematologist goes well!!
Mandie: GL getting your Ultrasound scheduled - in my city theres like a 2 month wait - I booked in mid july and the earliest I could get in was September 3rd. Hope you have better luck where you are!
indigoscot: Hope she feels better soon

♥ Hubby and I expecting our first : January 12, 2010 ♥
Old 08-10-2009, 06:06 PM

Name Regina
Weeks/Days 19w 2d
Appointments
I have my 20w u/s this Thursday! I am absolutely thrilled and can't wait... it seems like the most exciting thing so far for some reason, like Christmas in August
Symptoms just tired, but that seems to be due to the fact that I've been too busy to nap and then at bedtime I get this weird energy spurt and go to bed toooooo late. Working on this.
Food trying to limit my quantities and not stuff myself. Everything sounds good, I'm trying to increase beans for fiber since I tend toward constipation (but no probs so far, thank goodness!)
Exercise I really need to start prenatal yoga. REALLY! I will do it at home, I have DVDs, and I'd also like to start walking 2 days a week. I am just too busy to commit to anything, it's crazy.
Body changes and other milestones started to notice the ligament stretching by my pubic bone when I get up from sitting. I have to waddle a bit while things readjust. Also my hips have been getting achy if I stand up for too long, I think things are just starting to stretch out more.
Thoughts I'm enjoying the 2nd trimester a lot. I'm glad I look pregnant and not just bloated anymore, and I just love feeling the baby move! I can't wait to be able to feel it from the outside with my hand as well.

Bekkie, see if you can get some positive birth stuff to watch! The stuff on tv is crap, it just builds fear. Business of Being Born comes to mind, and there's other good birth videos... I rented a lot from my midwife when prego, maybe there's some at your local library? Also, I always recommend this, but it is so good! "Birthing From Within" (a book you can go through w/o doing the classes if you like) is a great book if you are having any fears/hesitations.

CrunchyMama, I hope you are able to have the birth you want, and no steroids! Thinking good thoughts for your appointment.

'curly girl' regina married to my man since 7/99 , SAHM to my DS (2/06) (12/08) a new to love! (11/09)
Old 08-10-2009, 06:13 PM

Name: Rebekah
Weeks/Days along: 17 weeks one day
Appointments: None this week but I'll go for blood tests and National registry stuff next week.
Symptoms: None really, just super hyper sex drive.
Food: Lots of fresh fruit and salads, and pickles, the garlickier the better, and sorbets of any flavor, but mostly lemon.
Exercise: None to speak of, but next week I go back to work so it's go go go go go.
Body changes and other milestones: getting fatter by the day and I am definitely feeling that swishing from side to side that I fel with DS, I know in about two weeks there will be discenrable elbows and knees and feet poking me.
Thoughts: I'm just taking it one day at a time. We are looking for a bigger house to move into by November, and I've got classes starting in a couple weeks, and I am just really excited to get back to work and focus on something productive for a while. That's about it. I told some of my co-workers about my desire to have homebirth and the response was 50/50, half of them think it is the best idea ever but some of them looked at me like I was NUTS for even considering doing something like this without a heart monitor bleeping next to me and a staff of surgeons ready on the sidelines. I expected as much.

Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:15 PM

Thank you for the info Regina I'll definitely take a look for those videos + book as I could definitely use some positive stuff.

good luck getting your yoga program started

Old 08-10-2009, 07:50 PM

Weeks/Days along: about 16 or 17
Food: not hungry much... still stuck on bagels with goat cheese and hot pepper jelly.. Sour, salty and a bit of sweet... perfect combo for me at the moment!
Exercise: pool with the kids... not much else
Body changes and other milestones: Belly/Uterus are still growing...
Thoughts
I a UPing but I called a friend of mine who happens to be a midwife... I had some questions about registering the birth because she was the one that helped me last time after my last UC... In our conversation I mentioned that I am measuring big and she offered to give a second opinion, so I am going over to her house on Wednesday for a visit...
I feel good about it because she is 100% for UP/UC... so I know that there will be no pressure...

~paxye~
Mama to Xavier (July 02) , Colin (Sept 04), Khéna(Nov 06) & Wilhelmina (Jan 10)
Old 08-10-2009, 08:00 PM

Name- Sam
Weeks/Days along- 17 weeks
Appointments- 2nd prenatal with midwives was last week
Symptoms- tired (though less than before), nausea and actual vomiting ( I thought that was supposed to be the first trimester!), constipation, nasal congestion/bloody noses (high altitude, dry weather doesn't help), and always hungry!
Food- My midwives had me do a food diary and it made me realize I eat waaay too much sugar and bread. So I have been trying to cut down on those things and be more conscious of eating vegetables and lean protein.
Exercise- Just kicked my self back into gear today! Went to a weights class and did a little time on the elliptical today and hopefully wednesday, swimming tomorrow and trying a prenatal yoga class on thursday.
Body changes and other milestones- I am HUGE! I gained 20 lbs already and it freaked me out although my midwife said its a good thing I think it spurred the exercise planning!
Thoughts- I've been on an emotional rollercoaster lately and I am trying to take steps to take better care of myself. Even though I have five more months to go I am already kind of "over" this pregnancy thing!
Old 08-10-2009, 08:31 PM

Name Jill
Weeks/Days along 15 weeks
Appointments not till Aug. 21, Aug. 13 with psychiatrist for depression meds
Symptoms struggling a bit with depression, but not sure if it is enough to want to risk increasing meds, part of it is due to this never ending heat and humidity which makes it hard to do much of anything outside
Food pretty good, but need to up fruits/veggies again (been slacking off)
Exercise does walking the dog around the block count?
Body changes and other milestones weight is still about the same (fluctuates between 178 and 182 depending on when I weigh myself and how hydrated I am), I think I am feeling the flutters a bit more often
Thoughts I have no idea what we are going to end up naming this child. I think I want the first name to start with M like my other two, but that is all I have narrowed down. With them, we did not decide till about a month or so before the birth, so I guess we are doing that again this time. My DD has been so cute lately...she is almost 4 and will come up and give me a kiss on my belly for the baby or try and show my belly (the baby) her book or whatever. My DS lost 2 teeth this past week for 3 total, and looks SO DIFFERENT and more grown up with the big holes in the front of his mouth!
He also is getting more excited and has offered to show the baby how to build train layouts and play Legos (duplos). I think it will be really sweet to see how all 3 interact together.

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:30 PM

Weeks/Days along: 16w3d
Appointments: We start our group prenatal care "connections" group next week. I am looking forward to meeting our group. I hope that we find there are people we have something in common with and can enjoy it and learn a lot from each other.
Symptoms: ugh, still having some nausea but it is definitely getting better, haven't thrown in since Saturday though...which just means I am due. ha. Still super fatigued as well.
Food: Having a lot of trouble getting enough protein outside of cheese... Trying to get more salads in and less carbs and cheese. I am craving Ruby Tuesdays broccoli and cheddar cheese...mmm..so fatty. Also I've been wanting broccoli and cheddar quiche...
Exercise: I really need to get back into working out. I need to find a balance between getting the sleep I need and also some exercise around my work schedule. I plan to sign up for prenatal yoga when I am sure I feel well enough to stick with it.
Body changes and other milestones: the belly is popping, I am actually really excited. I am so nervous about the actual weight gain, and just feeling fat and mushy lately...so the hard baby belly makes me feel better.
Thoughts: I'm still hungry... But I need to drag myself to the grocery store tomorrow- this has been very difficult with the nausea...

Mama to a beautiful baby girl born 01/21/2010
Old 08-10-2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekkie View Post
Name: Bekkie

Thoughts: Terrified about the thought of giving birth, keep making the mistake of watching tv shows about giving birth and cringe in pain every time... I try to tell myself that the moms are happy at the end of it but I can't seem to shake the absolute fear of every aspect of labour.

Don't worry, Bekkie -- your labor will be amazing. Intense? Painful? Probably...but it's nothing you won't be able to handle...and nothing will compare to feeling your baby come out! Nothing...and then to see them and smell them...plus, you will feel like you could do anything afterwards. It will all be worth it!

See if you can find copies of the Discovery Health show "House of Babies" anywhere. It's not on here anymore but it is a GREAT show to watch, so empowering. I thought of it again and again in labor. The BOBB is a great choice, too - and there are lots of amazing birth videos on YouTube.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:47 PM

Name: Elizabeth
Weeks/Days: 17 weeks, 4 days
Appointments: See MW again Sep 2, THE Ultrasound next Monday! August 17
Symptoms: Not many or I'm just too hot and busy chasing after DD1 to notice! I've been feeling real kicks this week...so exciting.
Food: Good, craving lots of veggies
Exercise: Toddler wrangling

We were all sick this week with the flu. Definitely the flu, I don't know if it was H1N1 but wish I did so I could let that small worry rest. Everyone recovered nicely with just a residual cough.

Thoughts: I can't wait until Monday morning to find out if it's a boy or a girl. I'm hoping for a girl but have had two dreams it was a boy. A boy would be wonderful, too, though I'm not looking forward to the circ fight that would ensue. Any healthy baby!

My MIL is driving me absolutely nuts. I mean, NUTS. She has called me everyday this week, multiple times a day. I actually visited my old DDC, archived, and reread a post I had there about similar feelings. I wish she wouldn't irritate me so much. I told DH how I was feeling...I'm going to have to put some firm boundaries in place pretty soon here as I cannot take it anymore. Please, she needs to find something or someone else to obsess over besides our small family.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:12 PM

Name: Grace
Weeks/days: 15 w 5 d
Appointments: OB on the 19th, big u/s (that i might not go to, can't decide) Sept 3rd
Symptoms: all I want to eat is gum. Is that a symptom? And HEADACHES. Insomnia- but that might be stress related.
Food: trying to eat more meat and veg, but the only "food" that sounds appealing (other than gum :P) is fruit and cheese
Exercise: I walk the dog once a day for 15-45 min depending on weather n' such.
Thoughts:

Had an amniocentesis today. I carry Muscular Dystrophy which has a 50% chance of affecting boys and a 50% chance of a girl being a carrier. So we've been praying GIRL. The u/s tech for the amnio said she was pretty sure she saw boy-parts, but when she went back to confirm baby had crossed it's legs. It's totally stressing me out.

I've been wanting a girl not JUST because of the MD, either- also cuz I have an 8 month old DD and no money and hate the idea of buying all new clothes, etc. I've also spent my whole life psyching myself up for a family of girls so the idea of a boy is sending me for a total headspin

DH and I have also recently decided on a UC, so I spend a lot of time thinking/planning/affirming that. Whenever something is on my mind a lot I go around and around and around in circles, it keeps me up at night, and I never have an end of things to research so this is also a factor, I suppose! It feels right, but for things that feel right I research even MORE than for things I'm just doing "because."

Glad to see a chat thread going- it's nice to know how the Jan moms are doing without posting a thread every week asking, "how's it going?!"

Grace - wife to Jeff and mama to Nigella (11/08) and Orrin (01/10)- expecting a new addition (05/12)! Life is a whirlwind, but I'm learning to enjoy the ride!

Old 08-10-2009, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaheroine View Post
Name: Elizabeth
Weeks/Days: 17 weeks, 4 days
Appointments: See MW again Sep 2, THE Ultrasound next Monday! August 17
Symptoms: Not many or I'm just too hot and busy chasing after DD1 to notice! I've been feeling real kicks this week...so exciting.
Food: Good, craving lots of veggies
Exercise: Toddler wrangling

We were all sick this week with the flu. Definitely the flu, I don't know if it was H1N1 but wish I did so I could let that small worry rest. Everyone recovered nicely with just a residual cough.

Thoughts: I can't wait until Monday morning to find out if it's a boy or a girl. I'm hoping for a girl but have had two dreams it was a boy. A boy would be wonderful, too, though I'm not looking forward to the circ fight that would ensue. Any healthy baby!

My MIL is driving me absolutely nuts. I mean, NUTS. She has called me everyday this week, multiple times a day. I actually visited my old DDC, archived, and reread a post I had there about similar feelings. I wish she wouldn't irritate me so much. I told DH how I was feeling...I'm going to have to put some firm boundaries in place pretty soon here as I cannot take it anymore. Please, she needs to find something or someone else to obsess over besides our small family.

Ohh, flu That's balls. Sorry to hear that!

MIL is driving ME crazy but it's for a good cause. We're buying her mother's van so she's calling us 4-5 times a day to tell us things we already know (like, "you need to transfer ownership on the van!" Uhhh... yeah. "You know any costs for licencing you need to pay!" Uhh... yeah.) And I LOVE the lady, so dealing with someone like that who I didn't 'love' (or sometimes even like) wuld be even harder.

Grace - wife to Jeff and mama to Nigella (11/08) and Orrin (01/10)- expecting a new addition (05/12)! Life is a whirlwind, but I'm learning to enjoy the ride!

Old 08-10-2009, 10:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Appointments: My ultrasound is late next week; I'm going to be one day shy of 21 weeks. Crazy.
Food: Yes, please! I have been doing well, I think. I baked flourless chocolate cake. Since it is so rich, I only need a little and it helps!
Exercise: 5 days a week, 2 miles a day. I'm so happy I got myself into gear four weeks ago.
Body changes and other milestones: I'm starting to get a more defined bump, but it still doesn't look like a baby bump. I know it will come in time.
Thoughts: I went to garage sales this weekend and scored amazing finds, including a boppy with a cover. It was such a great weekend and it helped me get excited and realize I'm having a baby.

I'm also feeling what I SWEAR is movement. I have been feeling it off and on for 1.5 weeks and I'm convinced it is Baby. I am looking forward to the real kicks.

Quote:
...My MIL is driving me absolutely nuts. I mean, NUTS. She has called me everyday this week, multiple times a day. I actually visited my old DDC, archived, and reread a post I had there about similar feelings. I wish she wouldn't irritate me so much. I told DH how I was feeling...I'm going to have to put some firm boundaries in place pretty soon here as I cannot take it anymore. Please, she needs to find something or someone else to obsess over besides our small family.
I'm so sorry you're going through this while pregnant (especially!).
Old 08-10-2009, 10:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astraia View Post
Old 08-10-2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulvah View Post

I'm also feeling what I SWEAR is movement. I have been feeling it off and on for 1.5 weeks and I'm convinced it is Baby. I am looking forward to the real kicks.
I've been feeling movement fairly consistently. It's not pronounced, obvious movements just that bubbly feeling (that is different from gas, but doesn't feel different in any definable way). I felt a few good solids kicks 2 weeks ago, but nothing like that since then.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:43 PM

Well, I have been feeling lots of movement lately. It is a wonderful feeling since I lost my #8 around this time (I never even got to feel him move).

I am tired, but that is normal with my busy life. Although I decided to do much of nothing today! So, I guess I should not be that tired.

I have not been scheduled for my big U/S yet, but since I am now 18 wks, I am guessing it will be set up at my appointment this week. I can't wait. I just love to see the WO.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:04 AM

Name: Cheri
Weeks/Days along: 17w4d
Appointments: Had one last week. Next one, I don't know...
Symptoms: Feeling better. I can eat again!
Food: Pretty much back to eating normal stuff. Yay!
Exercise: I was going to go to yoga tonight, but got a call from the midwife that stressed me out, which was probably more of a reason to go.
Body changes and other milestones: Feeling the baby more. Belly is staying about the same.
Thoughts: So, my midwife called and said I my integrated screening came back positive, 1/250. My husband and I are trying to figure out what to do. I don't feel comforatable getting an amnio with the risk of miscarriage. But, at the same time I know with my history of depression that having a child with a disability would be really hard on me. I just hate not knowing.

SAHM to DD (May/07) and DS (Jan/10)
Old 08-11-2009, 11:39 AM

Name: Jacquelyn
Weeks/Days along: 15w4d
Appointments: none
Symptoms: Feeling pretty much like my old self, but with lovely afternoon headaches.
Food: I'm such a cliche...zesty dill pickles.
Exercise: Ugh, still haven't started anything. Planning to do evening walks and start my yoga dvd as soon as I unpack my yoga mat. Regina, we should make a pact to start yoga ASAP!
Body changes and other milestones: I think I am either maintaining the same weight or actually losing a pound here and there, which means my body is hopefully normalizing itself now that I'm eating a balanced diet again. I think my boobs stopped growing. Bye bye boob fairy.
Thoughts: I keep thinking I feel movement, but it's so hard to be sure!
Old 08-11-2009, 01:20 PM

Name Lauren
Weeks/Days along 16w6d
Appointments haircut and teeth cleaning?
Symptoms constipation, insane fatigue, but tummy seems to be in the clear! crazy erect nipples. I've never had this problem before but it's getting embarrassing. Tips?
Food as soon as i mentioned sushi, i stopped wanting it! i've been eating apples and cheddar cheese a lot. evenings are STILL hard for me, nothing ever sounds good despite being very hungry.
Exercise :
Body changes and other milestones I think I'm officially popping. If people can't tell this week, they will very soon. And I am feeling the baby move a little bit here and there, little swishes and thumps, nothing huge yet, though. But it's great to feel her in there (if it is a she, I just like saying it is!).
Thoughts I have had trace leukocytes in my pee, so I'm taking a supplement to hopefully nip any nascent UTI in the bud. I had my midwife test me for anemia because I'm so tired, but my iron is fine so it's just regular pregnancy/nursing all night long fatigue. I'm nervous about school starting because I have 2 evening classes and I'm afraid I will be even more tired than I already am.

We almost talked ourselves into an ultrasound, then backed out big time and really talked ourselves OUT of it. We decided that it would be harder to be sad if we do have a boy if we are holding him in our arms. And it will be nice to have the possibility of a girl open for another 5 months, rather than have it nipped in the bud. Plus, it COULD be a girl, so if it is we'll just be super happy. We're trying to focus on coming up with names we really like and being happy to meet our child, boy or girl.

Otherwise... not much going on!

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
Old 08-11-2009, 02:01 PM

Sunshadow, I got a screening result of 1/20 so my anxiety was really intense. I did get an amnio because I couldn't handle the stress of not knowing and worried that all those stress chemicals would hurt the baby. I went to a doctor who performs a lot of amnios and his personal miscarriage rate was 1/1500. So although the general risk is 1/200 to 1/400, if you go to an experienced doctor it could be less.

Name - Ann
Weeks/Days along - 16 weeks
Appointments - next midwife visit not til Aug. 20
Symptoms - still nauseous and throwing up even more than first trimester, tired but not quite as tired as before
Food - fruit, cheese, last night we had chili, cornbread and homemade potato skins! eating a lot of corn on the cob, potato, grilled meat/chicken and veggies meals.
Exercise - I do heavy lifting in my job and walking/carrying. not really doing anything besides that
Body changes and other milestones - belly is definitely getting out there.
Thoughts - we're wracking our brains for a boy name, going through all the baby clothes and toys in the basement [fun!], I'm having a really hard time getting a regular day's work done. I feel a lot less grouchy and touchy than my previous pregnancy. Getting pretty excited about a new baby! and worrying a little b/c I'm gonna have to work more this time around than I did when my son was a baby
Old 08-11-2009, 03:05 PM

Name: Liz
Weeks/Days Along: 19weeks 1 day
Appointments: not until 8/18
Symptoms: tired, emotional, hungry all the time!: still having headaches-but less frequent
Food: Yes, I love all food : except meat! These days-the thought of beef or chicken makes me gag. I try to get some chickent for the protien, but I am just not that into it. I am into bacon-but obviously trying not to indulge b/c it is not all that healthy and DH and DS don't eat pork. But veggies and fruit and cereal and pasta and yogurt and geez-I think I am hungry...all of those are yummy!
Exercise: hiking (that's a favorite weekend activity) not much else--still looking for that motivation...
Body Changes/Milestones: Starting to feel regular night time movement Getting bigger by the day it seems-but not gaining a whole lot of weight.
Thoughts: I am reading about all these mamas getting the "big" ultrasound and I am a little jealous I don't want to know the sex-but since everyone else is doing it-it makes it tempting. I am not getting the 20 wk u/s though-so that makes it easier-but still wondering if it is a boy or girl....I am feeling girl-but ya just never know until the blessed day arrives :

Liz ~wife to an amazing man~mama to 2 beautiful sons~trodding through babylon~ loving JAH~rainbow1284.gif

Old 08-11-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:

Don't worry, Bekkie -- your labor will be amazing. Intense? Painful? Probably...but it's nothing you won't be able to handle...and nothing will compare to feeling your baby come out! Nothing...and then to see them and smell them...plus, you will feel like you could do anything afterwards. It will all be worth it!

See if you can find copies of the Discovery Health show "House of Babies" anywhere. It's not on here anymore but it is a GREAT show to watch, so empowering. I thought of it again and again in labor. The BOBB is a great choice, too - and there are lots of amazing birth videos on YouTube.
tysvm Elizabeth I will definitely take a look for that video (DH is wonderful at finding things online!)

glad everyone in your household is feeling better! Good luck on Monday!! MIL definitely needs a hobby

Old 08-11-2009, 03:45 PM

Name: Jen
Weeks/Days along: 17/1
Appointments: Since I switched care, I don't have to go in every week, so nothing until the end of the month!
Symptoms: I feel pretty good. Part of that is that I am on vacation and not at work.
Food: Almost anything. I have to keep lots of snacks handy. DH laughs at me and says I am like a squirrel with little bits tucked away here and there.
Exercise: Not much.
Body changes and other milestones: My belly is really sticking out.
Thoughts: I am starting to relax a bit and starting to ponder names. I had my first shower on Sunday. I am visiting my family. This will be the last time I see them before the babies arrive. They are really uncomfortable with hb, so I find myself not bravely talking about my plans, but instead avoiding the topic.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

I have been dismayed to discover over the past few days that not only is my belly getting bigger, my butt is, too! My underwear aren't fitting like they should. Woe is me.

Paxye, that is great your MW friend is so supportive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillmamma View Post
He also is getting more excited and has offered to show the baby how to build train layouts and play Legos (duplos).
My son (who is coming up on three) keeps telling me that the baby will play trains with him. It's sweet, but I think he's going to be in for a bit of a shock when the baby arrives and is essentially helpless at first.

Astraia. I hope your results are encouraging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshadow View Post
Thoughts: So, my midwife called and said I my integrated screening came back positive, 1/250. My husband and I are trying to figure out what to do. I don't feel comforatable getting an amnio with the risk of miscarriage. But, at the same time I know with my history of depression that having a child with a disability would be really hard on me. I just hate not knowing.
Someone already pointed out that the miscarriage rate varies widely with amnios. The published rate here in the UK is 1/100, but the rate at the local hospital is 1/200, and I am sure it's lower for many of the doctors who perform them.
Also, 1/250 would just barely count as positive here. 1/251 wouldn't be considered positive. Good luck with your decisions.

Expat mama to my 7-year-old Halloween boy and my cheeky preschooler, who came before the midwife in January 2010... Gestating a new bean, debuting spring 2014!
Old 08-11-2009, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthmode View Post
Food: I'm such a cliche...zesty dill pickles.

I accidentally bought a BIG jar of sweet pickles DH hates pickles so he'll never eat them and I think they're gross right now. I might end up throwing out the whole thing (unless I can find someone who wants them).

Old 08-11-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeylo View Post
crazy erect nipples. I've never had this problem before but it's getting embarrassing. Tips?
I've heard of people using bandaids. I've been wearing a padding bra with nursing pads and if it's hot I wear 2 tank tops, otherwise a tank and a t-shirt. I've had days though where they'll show through padded bra, tank, t-shirt, and sweatshirt. Kinda awkward if you're stuck with one of those chest-talkers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeylo View Post
We decided that it would be harder to be sad if we do have a boy if we are holding him in our arms. And it will be nice to have the possibility of a girl open for another 5 months, rather than have it nipped in the bud. Plus, it COULD be a girl, so if it is we'll just be super happy. We're trying to focus on coming up with names we really like and being happy to meet our child, boy or girl.

I wish now we hadn't done the amnio. If it IS a boy (especially one with Muscular Dystrophy) I'd rather be holding him in my arms and head over heels in love before I realize the problems. Not that I think I'll love the baby any less, but already I feel myself distancing...myself... (stupid sentence) from the baby and it's not even confirmed that it's a boy! I feel awful but I don't know how to get the initial excitement and connection back, especially if it's a boy with MD. Eugh. No one ever warned me about this.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshadow View Post
My husband and I are trying to figure out what to do. I don't feel comforatable getting an amnio with the risk of miscarriage. But, at the same time I know with my history of depression that having a child with a disability would be really hard on me. I just hate not knowing.
Would you abort/ how late can you abort?

Problem with amnio is it does take a couple of weeks to get results back (unless you've got the RAD technology there, which just started here in the last few months- then you get them back in roughly a week).

It also depends on who does it. I hear in the US it's just any ol' dr who does them so their miscarriage rates may be higher. In Canada it's specialized dr's who do a LOT of amnios and their miscarriage rates are fairly low. This time when I went for the amnio, I was quoted a risk of 1/1600. This was, I believe, off a study of 3,000 women.

(from my research, the miscarriage rate of 1/200 was based off a 1970's study- lousy technology, bigger needles, higher rate of problems. I'm surprised in just 1 year how much has changed with their amnio technology. It's a smaller needle, the take out the fluid differently, they have different ways of analyzing what they take, etc).

User Tag List