We've talked wine--how about sushi - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 08-13-2009, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm going out for sushi with a clear conscience on Monday and I will love every bite. The Italians eat sandwich meat in Paninis, Japanese are encouraged to eat sushi. I've researched and I'm happy with the decision. What's your take on sushi--note the difference between sushi and sashimi. I purposely left the high merc out because I have a list of the low merc fishes and eel (yum!).

Merc is another story of course.

Crunchy con wife with 1 DS and 1 lil DD born in Jan. I love breastfeeding, CDing and Friday night family bed.
#2 of 30 Old 08-13-2009, 03:33 PM

I think this article says it all. With the horrendously low standards in the USA on the production of meat (think: meat companies are big donators to certan powerful interests), its always struck me a little funny that sushi has a bad name.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/15/opinion/15shaw.html
#3 of 30 Old 08-13-2009, 03:46 PM

I'm pro-sushi. With or without bean.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#4 of 30 Old 08-13-2009, 03:48 PM

I have had sushi but it has all been cooked fish or veggi. I don't really dig the whole raw fishy thing.

Angie wife to Joe and Mom to Lucas(7) and Alex (4), Elizabeth (21 months) and due with #4 mid june

#5 of 30 Old 08-13-2009, 04:03 PM

sushi, sashimi, i eat it, and it makes me happy. i do typically skip the tuna and other known 'high-mercury' fish.

paxye has some lovely things to say about dietary restrictions during pregnancy

successful #2 Jan. 25th - welcome Maisie Elise!
#6 of 30 Old 08-13-2009, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just had sushi (and sashimi) on Tuesday! I love it and won't stop eating it; I really see no problem with it.
#7 of 30 Old 08-13-2009, 04:30 PM

I've told DH that sometime soon we need to try out the new all you can eat sushi place in china town

I HATED the idea of it earlier in pregnancy but recently it sounds so delicious.

I'll avoid the high merc fish (DH can eat those) but anything else is open!

Grace - wife to Jeff and mama to Nigella (11/08) and Orrin (01/10)- expecting a new addition (05/12)! Life is a whirlwind, but I'm learning to enjoy the ride!

#8 of 30 Old 08-13-2009, 04:56 PM

Of all the things to worry about, sushi is just not on my radar.

Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.
#9 of 30 Old 08-13-2009, 05:00 PM
Dea

I eat it. I make it. It's yummy.
Granted I won't eat a lot of raw fish while pregnant, but mostly 'cause my taste changes so much, but I do love tuna, yumm, but I limit myself to one scrumptious piece. Then I longingly watch DH polish the rest of it off.

So fun story, I made avocado rolls and gave some to Trixie, and she had a great time with them. Big mess, but well worth it.

Deadra, Wife to Adam , Mama to Beatrix (02/08), Hudson (01/10), and Mazarine (12/13)
#10 of 30 Old 08-13-2009, 05:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I think I may go for some sushi this weekend during happy hour. Can someone give me some ideas on what to get?

Aeona - married to super hot nerd Toby . . . mama to Grace (9) Evangeline (7) Duncan 11.14.08   and Henry (4) born at home. Expecting again early December!  

#11 of 30 Old 08-13-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djinneyah View Post

paxye has some lovely things to say about dietary restrictions during pregnancy

yep... Sushi is my pet peeve especially...
I eat Sushi often and love it... I buy it, I make it and I can't get enough of it... I actually love raw fish and always have Sashimi along with my Sushi also...

The only Sushi rolls that I avoid really are the ones that have Pollock (fake crab) because it made with petroleum based food colourings.. but it is not because I am pregnant but because we avoid petroleum products, especially in food!

Here is a blog post I wrote about "What not to eat when Pregnant"

All these restrictions are just another way of taking control away from women during pregnancy... Why not educate women instead of restrict? Why all the fear mongering instead of letting women have common sense...

~paxye~
Mama to Xavier (July 02) , Colin (Sept 04), Khéna(Nov 06) & Wilhelmina (Jan 10)
#12 of 30 Old 08-13-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper Gumby View Post
I think I may go for some sushi this weekend during happy hour. Can someone give me some ideas on what to get?
Anything you are craving

~paxye~
#13 of 30 Old 08-13-2009, 09:26 PM

i love sushi and sashimi, and i am lucky to live where i live to get high quality stuff. i ate some this week.

i also eat some soft cheeses, and had a few sips of wine last month! gasp!

Mama to a 3 year old awesome kid, Rowan (aka Mister Boopy) and TTC another at 43!

fambedsingle1.gif gd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif vbac.gif goorganic.jpg

Herbalist, Acupuncture student, Mama, Blogger!

#14 of 30 Old 08-13-2009, 09:27 PM

pardon my laziness in not looking this up, but which fish are best to avoid large quantities of due to merc? I assume Tuna but can't think of any others that I'd typically get. Yellowtail is my fave, and I also like salmon. Any thoughts on those two? I'll usually take a few bites of DH's tuna, but while I'm still enjoying sushi I am not craving it. Beef terriyaki, well that's a different story! (oh and don't get me started on Mexican food. I think I could eat that every day and never get tired of it!)

'curly girl' regina married to my man since 7/99 , SAHM to my DS (2/06) (12/08) a new to love! (11/09)
#15 of 30 Old 08-13-2009, 09:39 PM

I say, go for it! And then bring some back here and share it around!

OK, I am a total novice at sushi, but what is sashimi?

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#16 of 30 Old 08-13-2009, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidzaplenty View Post
I say, go for it! And then bring some back here and share it around!

OK, I am a total novice at sushi, but what is sashimi?
Sashimi is simply raw fish or seafood that is thinkly sliced... unlike sushi, it is eaten without rice...

my favs are salmon and Scallops...

~paxye~
#17 of 30 Old 08-13-2009, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratrodgrl View Post
pardon my laziness in not looking this up, but which fish are best to avoid large quantities of due to merc? I assume Tuna but can't think of any others that I'd typically get. Yellowtail is my fave, and I also like salmon. Any thoughts on those two? I'll usually take a few bites of DH's tuna, but while I'm still enjoying sushi I am not craving it. Beef terriyaki, well that's a different story! (oh and don't get me started on Mexican food. I think I could eat that every day and never get tired of it!)
I think Tuna is the big one but honestly I don't always avoid it either... I think moderation is what is important not avoiding completely... besides, the quantity in a few rolls isn't really that much...

~paxye~
#18 of 30 Old 08-13-2009, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxye View Post
Sashimi is simply raw fish or seafood that is thinkly sliced... unlike sushi, it is eaten without rice...

my favs are salmon and Scallops...
Thanks! I think I would much prefer sushi, as I really like the rice.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#19 of 30 Old 08-13-2009, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
We make it and eat it often, but I only eat veggie and philadelphia rolls.

Funny story, last weekend we were picnicing and an Asian woman stopped and asked us where we got our sushi. I told her my dd made it, that she was our sushi expert. She gave dd major props and even tasted some. It was pretty funny and my dd (19yo) was tickled pink. Her 'friend' was with us and she's been pulling out all of the cooking/baking stops to impress him.
#20 of 30 Old 08-13-2009, 11:20 PM

I'm eating a rainbow roll right now, actually. Salmon is my favorite and I get it every time I have sushi. I was on a huge sushi kick last week, I think I had it 4 nights in a row. I just can't stop craving it!

Married 12/08 to Chilean DH and mama to DD 2/2/10. We're a bilingual home and we familybed1.gif and toddler.gif

Expecting #2 in late June!

#21 of 30 Old 08-14-2009, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper Gumby View Post
Sushi is actually one of the foods I crave alot....I live just south of Atlanta....but Thomas and I are going to Atlanta tomorrow night to eat sushi at the Buckhead sushi House...have you ever eat there or hear anything about them??

Engaged to my soulmate Thomas ...mom to Benjamin (11) Savannah (under a year) , and expecting Henry (January 21, 2011 )
#22 of 30 Old 08-14-2009, 01:29 AM

I don't think I could give up real sushi. I crave it and wasabi.... Plus I also ferment foods in my kitchen and drink raw milk and eat raw cheeses... So am I scared? No. Not really. I know the facts and I have weighed the consequences. I would be much more scared for my immune system if I was eating dead foods- those are the ones that carry the greatest risk for contamination. I pick where and what I eat carefully.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#23 of 30 Old 08-14-2009, 03:05 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
sounds great! It's my favorite food during pregnancy, albeit too costly to indulge in very often. Enjoy!

Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?
#24 of 30 Old 08-14-2009, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

I had salmon and eel last night. So delish. The eel was not raw, very tasty and low merc food.

Crunchy con wife with 1 DS and 1 lil DD born in Jan. I love breastfeeding, CDing and Friday night family bed.
#25 of 30 Old 08-14-2009, 01:04 PM

so speaking of sushi....

DH just came home with some! :

I've been wanting it for the last week or so, and he was in the area of a really good place that does take-out and brought me some for lunch

Grace - wife to Jeff and mama to Nigella (11/08) and Orrin (01/10)- expecting a new addition (05/12)! Life is a whirlwind, but I'm learning to enjoy the ride!

#26 of 30 Old 08-14-2009, 01:41 PM

There was a big thread about this a week or two ago in our weekly chat threads... for awhile I was eating sushi every single day! I think the majority of us are very pro-sushi, with some of us avoiding raw rolls and some enjoying everything without worry. I got sick of it very suddenly around 16w but it was my mainstay for awhile!

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
#27 of 30 Old 08-15-2009, 02:26 PM
Banned

I love sushi and normally wouldn't worry about it but I am a bit of a snob about my fish quality and I've found the fish here isn't as fresh as I'd like it in summer. I am sure it is perfectly fine, I just don't like the texture. : Hopefully I can have some this fall when we are in Philadelphia.
#28 of 30 Old 08-16-2009, 09:10 AM

No sushi for me. I have no faith in the quality of fish used here and no confidence in hygiene. I am mostly concerned about salmonella and other bacteria. I will have the vegetarian sushi instead. It makes me feel safer.
#29 of 30 Old 08-16-2009, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemgal053080 View Post
Sushi is actually one of the foods I crave alot....I live just south of Atlanta....but Thomas and I are going to Atlanta tomorrow night to eat sushi at the Buckhead sushi House...have you ever eat there or hear anything about them??
I've never been there. The place my mom and I go to is Bangkok Thyme in Sandy Springs on Roswell rd. It's cheap when you go at happy hour.

Aeona - married to super hot nerd Toby . . . mama to Grace (9) Evangeline (7) Duncan 11.14.08   and Henry (4) born at home. Expecting again early December!  

#30 of 30 Old 08-17-2009, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Coming up at work. They know sushi in the US is conterindicated in pregnancy so it gave me time to educate my spouse, friends, about the difference in sushi/sashimi--nigiri and maki as well as merc in fish--high and low and about listeriosis and educated decisions.

No one bats and eye now and we will be doing sushi at work on Tuesday.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page