Negative comments about baby's name are bringing me down - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 44 Old 08-19-2009, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have decided to name our baby girl Edelweiss. We think it is a beautiful name and it has a deep, personal meaning to us. The comments we are getting-especially from family!-are really making me feel bad.

My mother is the worst! The boys told her we were going to call the baby Edelweiss and she told my 8 year old "That is terrible! No one would want to be named Edelweiss." She persists in "suggesting" that we use it as the middle name and when I said, no, we really like it for a first name, she said "I think that is really unfair. You better give her a normal middle name because you know she won't want to go by that once she has a choice."

My mom has always had a big mouth but she is not the only one who screws up her face and says, "What??" Half the people immediately ask, "What are you gonna call her for short?" And the others just look perplexed.

Are we way off base here? Is Edelweiss actually not a pretty name?

Amy

Wife to K since 6/95 Mommy to "The Fellas" ages 13, 10 and 8 and our rainbow girly 12/09.
Always remembering my babies who could not stay '08 '08 '09
#2 of 44 Old 08-19-2009, 05:37 PM

I think it is a beautiful name. We sing Edelweiss from Sound of Music to DS as a lullaby. Be prepared that this will be most American's exposure to this name. Many may not even know it is a flower.

Flower names have a long tradition in naming infants (especially girls).

Maybe it would help people if you had a ready answer for some of their inquiries. When they ask what you'll call her --

"We may call her ___ or ___. Which do you like?"

or

"We may wait to see what will stick. Do you have any suggestions?"

Can you have a ready response with the deeply personal meaning? I know when I hear a name I don't immediately love, it help when the parents tell me the meaning behind it. If the meaning makes it beautiful for you, it may for others as well.

I'm sure others on this forum will reply with some good nicknames.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#3 of 44 Old 08-19-2009, 05:37 PM

I think it is pretty and if you like it you should stick by your guns. I wouldn't be upset about people asking what the short form is though. I think anything with 3 syllables will end up having a nickname, just because people are lazy. You could just say you haven't decided on a name and not answer their questions.
#4 of 44 Old 08-19-2009, 05:38 PM

I think it is beautiful.
It took me a second~ you know, it is a different name and it might take a second to get past the song (that is in a song right?) but I think it is pretty. Of course we named our dd Lilikoi and everyone says "Lila-what???" So, maybe I am not a good judge
We chose not to tell anyone our names we had picked out until AFTER the birth because of what you are dealing with. Your mother will get used to it!

Kelcey... in love with DH, and DD born 10/13/07, and a little DS born 2/23/10!
#5 of 44 Old 08-19-2009, 05:51 PM

I'll be honest...the first time I saw her name written I thought of the flower from Sound of Music. BUT, when I read the meaning behind why you were naming her Edelweiss...it went from a lovely flower name to making me teary eyed and happy.

It reminds me of a doula friend who recently named their baby Phoenix...it wasn't name, but the meaning behind the name that made it so special.

If you & your husband love this name, then stay with it

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#6 of 44 Old 08-19-2009, 05:59 PM

Not in your ddc, but weighing in. I think that the meaning of the name - the white flower - is lovely.

But the word "edelweiss" itself is not pretty or melodious. It strikes me as pretty clunky-sounding. And it does have an almost singular association in the US with "The Sound of Music." I think it would be a very difficult name for a child to have, especially as she grows older. Lots of singing/teasing potential, given that almost every kid sees that movie at some point. And she will spend a lifetime explaining her name to every stranger.

Sorry. I agree that it works best as a middle name.
#7 of 44 Old 08-19-2009, 06:10 PM

I'm not sure I'd use it as a first name. I think it's unique and interesting but agree that it sounds a bit heavy and it does feel like it needs to be shortened to be easily useable by other people.

I think the reference as Sound of Music might be for an older generation. I watched the movie when I was 13-14 because my mother INSISTED I see it. I don't care if my kids see it, so unless other kids have very insistent parents or they see it in school I don't think that you'll have problems with teasing related to music stuff.

I also think that if you feel VERY strongly about a name- DO NOT TELL PEOPLE! There will always be someone, somewhere, who hates the name and no one is more critical than family.

Our daughter is Nigella and I know that if I'd mentioned it before I would have gotten a lot of negative response, but now that she's here and named no one would dare say, "you picked a horrible name for your child, I've never liked it" - at least not to my face, and that's what matters!

Grace - wife to Jeff and mama to Nigella (11/08) and Orrin (01/10)- expecting a new addition (05/12)! Life is a whirlwind, but I'm learning to enjoy the ride!

#8 of 44 Old 08-19-2009, 06:16 PM

I say name your kid whatever the heck you want to! People will stop making comments after she is born.

I might be a little biased, though. My name is Taryn. Not totally uncommon but difficult for some people to spell and pronounce. My dd is Tanner (a boy's name) and my ds is Brenner (not difficult but uncommon). So far, my options for this next one are Gunner, Avner, and Elliner.

I think unusual names are great!
#9 of 44 Old 08-19-2009, 06:18 PM

I think it's beautful and if it has signifigance to you and your DP then what other people think doesn't really matter. Sometimes people can be insensitive without knowing or understanding how important something is to you. I am sorry you're mom is responding like that. You name your baby whatever your heart desires. And whatever YOU decide to name your little girl will be beautiful.

Liz ~wife to an amazing man~mama to 2 beautiful sons~trodding through babylon~ loving JAH~rainbow1284.gif

#10 of 44 Old 08-19-2009, 06:18 PM

I am so sorry that you are not getting the reaction you hoped for and I totally understand. I actually keep the name a secret until the baby is born JUST to avoid negative comments. And so far we have picked very ordinary names. It is my experience that no matter what name you pick, from John to Jedediah, everyone will have an opinion and most of the time it is a negative one. I have heard soooo many negative opinions about people's baby names whenever they are revealed ahead of time.

As far as the name Edelweiss, it is hard for me to have a reaction because in my city that is the name of a very popular river boat cruise. So when you first revealed it unfortunately the association is so strong to me that all I can think about is the boat. But when it comes to the Sound of Music, I wouldn't let that bother you at all. I saw it as a child and I don't remember anything about Edelweiss. My dd's name is Charlotte and my dh was positive it was going to be all Charlotte's Web all the time but so far it's been 1.5 years and no one has ever mentioned Charlotte's Web at all. And if they do someday, whatever. It's pretty difficult to pick a name that was never ever used anywhere else for any reason.

Your mom had her chance to name kids. It is your turn now. Screw 'em.

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#11 of 44 Old 08-19-2009, 06:30 PM

I think the "job" of naming a baby is a special job and given to the parents. My Mom was very insistant that I change the spelling/name of my daughter's name. I could not understand her reasoning. She just thought "her way" was easier or more "normal" or something. Even after my daughter was born she insisted on trying to change it.

I am sorry you are having to deal with this. It is very frustrating.

I love names that have a reason and meaning behind them. I think naming a child is a privilage and one I don't take lightly.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#12 of 44 Old 08-19-2009, 06:43 PM

Just stick with it, if it's right for you and DH and you feel it fits her.

My cousin was confronted with a similar assault when she named her son. Even her sweet mother (who used some "different" names for her children) questioned whether she really, really wanted to use that name. We all told her not to embroider the name on anything until the child was here and she actually filled out the birth certificate.

While discouraged, she and her DH just knew it was the right name. She learned to shrug us naysayers off and when her son was born, sure enough that is what they named him. He just turned 11 and it really is THE name for him, lol.

We all got used to it in the first months of his life and it became apparent that ...hey... the parents sure did know what they were doing naming him that.

You can certainly ask those who protest the loudest to chill out. That you and DH have been over positives and negatives and reasoning and you just feel this is her name. And, if you want to give them a small glimmer of hope and possibly shut them up even more, tell them that you are open to seeing her face and getting to know her a little before officially naming her.

BTW, my cousin's next son had an even MORE "outlandish" name and we didn't even bat an eyelash when she told us. lol!!!

I think Edelweiss is beautiful. It's not something I would name my child, but would not berate my child if that's what they chose to name their kid.

Caefi
#13 of 44 Old 08-19-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrt View Post
We have decided to name our baby girl Edelweiss. We think it is a beautiful name and it has a deep, personal meaning to us. The comments we are getting-especially from family!-are really making me feel bad.
That is why you can't tell anyone until the baby is born/named! Then they can't say anything about it.

I'm sorry they are being so negative. I think people have trouble with anything unfamiliar.

If she doesn't like the name, I think both Edel and Weiss are nice nicknames.

Chai, DS (3/05) and DS (2/10)
#14 of 44 Old 08-19-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chai View Post
If she doesn't like the name, I think both Edel and Weiss are nice nicknames.
Weiss is the name of an Austrian beer. And it's pronounced Vice, so I disagree that "Vice" would make a good nickname. (At least that's what people will hear.)

To the OP - I love it. Go for it. It's beautiful. And I disagree with a pp who said it wasn't melodious - I think it is. And it's not clunky either.

The more I say it out loud, the more I love it.
#15 of 44 Old 08-19-2009, 07:19 PM

It's hard to ignore those comments. A couple of people, family, have said they don't like my daughter's name and one person said they hated it. For some reason that matters to me even though more people have said they like her name, which is Gretchen btw. So, I guess it depends if you really love the name and don't care what others think then stick with it. But, if it's hard for you to hear those comments, and you probably will because it's uncommon, then it's something to consider when picking a name. Of course there really is no name that everyone is going to like.

SAHM to DD (May/07) and DS (Jan/10)
#16 of 44 Old 08-19-2009, 07:24 PM

I am sorry that your family is being so nasty about the name. I have to admit my family (and dh's to an extent) has always been like that too. This time around when they started to ask I simply told them they weren't going to know the name until the absolute last moment because they have been so nasty in the past. My mom and sister kept asking me what I meant by that and I reminded them of all of the mean things they had to say about the other kids' names. They continued to be bug me and I told them that if I heard one negative comment I was kicking them out of my house (this was on my youngest dd's birthday) and when I told them they just nodded and said "oh okay."

I wouldn't worry about what everyone else thinks - this is your baby and it doesn't matter if we or anyone else likes the name. What matters is that you like the name and that is it. Don't let anyone make you feel bad or bring you down.

Tons of cyber hugs.

Michelle married to my highschool sweetheart and mom to: DD '88, DS '90, DD '91, DD '94, DD '97, DD '98, DD '01, DD '08, and DS'09

(Non-profit Organization Director and Program Coordinator / Doula / Educator / Massage Therapist)

#17 of 44 Old 08-19-2009, 07:49 PM
Dea

Can you have a frank talk with your mom about her negative reactions? Tell her that you're going to name your daughter this (I love it!!!) and her negative reactions will haunt you and her FOREVER!

I think it's really unfair when people have negative reactions, because then if that name is chosen that person will have to see that baby and think of their negative reactions for the rest of that baby's life. It's better to keep their mouths closes, and if they must complain, I think it should be stopped. How horrible would it be if she says something to your daughter later in life?

My MIL's cousin told me at Trixie's baby shower that she didn't like the name Trixie and now every time I see her I seeth a little 'cause all I can think about it how she didn't like my baby's name!

Deadra, Wife to Adam , Mama to Beatrix (02/08), Hudson (01/10), and Mazarine (12/13)
#18 of 44 Old 08-19-2009, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Don't feel bad; my MIL's reaction to our dd1's name (before she was born or even final) was "OH GOD NO!! That's sounds like a Wh%RE! She'll grow up all messed up!"

Name your baby whatever you wish and tell your Mom that anything you carry and birth YOU get to name. She had her turn to name babies.
#19 of 44 Old 08-19-2009, 08:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Honestly, I think it's a beautiful name. I love the song and The Sound of Music is one of my favorite movies.

I'm sorry about the negative comments. I know it's hard to ignore them. What middle name did you choose?

Aeona - married to super hot nerd Toby . . . mama to Grace (9) Evangeline (7) Duncan 11.14.08   and Henry (4) born at home. Expecting again early December!  
#20 of 44 Old 08-19-2009, 09:34 PM

I think Edelweiss is a lovely name! The song is beautiful, so I don't think it's a negative connotation to have people recognize it because they've seen the Sound of Music. The meaning is very special as well, and it will be a fun story to tell your daughter and I am sure she will treasure it.

To the PP who thought it was clunky, it is a Germanic name and won't have the flow of Latin-based names (like Italian, Spanish, French names for instance) but in my opinion it is a beautiful name and not clunky at all.

Good luck with the family. Tell them if they don't like the name they don't get to see the baby til she's 5

'curly girl' regina married to my man since 7/99 , SAHM to my DS (2/06) (12/08) a new to love! (11/09)
#21 of 44 Old 08-20-2009, 12:18 AM

Okay, so am I the only one who doesn't know the song???? Sorry just had to say that LOLOLOL

Michelle married to my highschool sweetheart and mom to: DD '88, DS '90, DD '91, DD '94, DD '97, DD '98, DD '01, DD '08, and DS'09

(Non-profit Organization Director and Program Coordinator / Doula / Educator / Massage Therapist)

#22 of 44 Old 08-20-2009, 05:54 AM

I think it's pretty and if you like it, use it.

But the best plan is not to tell people the name ahead of time! Once the child actually has the name, people don't feel the same right to criticize that they do while the baby is still gestating.

Expat mama to my 7-year-old Halloween boy and my cheeky preschooler, who came before the midwife in January 2010... Gestating a new bean, debuting spring 2014!
#23 of 44 Old 08-20-2009, 08:30 AM

I've always loved the song and didn't know it was from Sound of Music. I don't think I've ever watched the movie, LOL. Your baby, your choice. We've kept most of our baby names to ourselves to not have to deal with a lot of negativity, especially when my mother shot down a name we wanted for a girl (and ended up using for my oldest dd). Since then we've either told them we don't have a name, or given them the MOST outlandish names we could come up with so they were greatful for the names we did choose, LOL. Edelweiss is beautiful, IMHO and you could always have the song framed and put up in her room. It is a beautiful song.
#24 of 44 Old 08-20-2009, 08:56 AM

I think it's quite pretty. I wouldn't be surprised if people try to make a nickname out of it though, as it is a longer name. You might want to think of one you like before someone comes up with one you don't.

People will get over not liking the name. Soon enough, it will just fit her.

I like the mind to be a dustbin of scraps of brilliant fabric, odd gems, worthless but fascinating curiosities, tinsel, quaint bits of carving, and a reasonable amount of healthy dirt.
#25 of 44 Old 08-20-2009, 09:00 AM

Sehr Prima and illicits 'Lustige' feelings- Great/feelings of comfort and satisfaction. It is lovely. Next time don't tell a soul. My cousin told no one her choice for her son until after he was here. Good for them! They chose what was meaningful to them and agot none of the naysaying 'cause no one dared say a word after the kid was born.

Crunchy con wife with 1 DS and 1 lil DD born in Jan. I love breastfeeding, CDing and Friday night family bed.
#26 of 44 Old 08-20-2009, 11:09 AM

This is why I didn't share Corbin's name with ANYbody offline until she was born. It helped pull some of the heat off to see her sweet face and then hear her weird name.

I'm sorry you're getting this reaction, OP. Why do people feel as if they can say anything to pregnant women without using a filter?

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#27 of 44 Old 08-20-2009, 11:18 AM

This is why we don't tell the name.

hh2.gif

#28 of 44 Old 08-20-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronika01 View Post
Edelweiss is beautiful, IMHO and you could always have the song framed and put up in her room. It is a beautiful song.
That's a really sweet idea! I googled the lyrics and it is really nice. And FWIW even now that I have read the lyrics I still don't remember it from the SOM.

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#29 of 44 Old 08-20-2009, 11:39 AM

Not my DDC, but I have kids with unusual names, and we never tell until the kids are born and ppl see them for the first time.
But the most important thing is that it's nobody elses business what you name your child. If you and your dp love it, that's the only thing that matters. Stick with it. Ppl will get used to it and shut up once she is born.

-pixie, my dear, and (A-88), N-98, Littlest-06/00-08/00, J-03 & Little Miss Cotton Ball Button-03 (SN), S-05, Hope-loss 09/09, Bean-loss 04/10, and littlePopcorn due feb. 8th -11.
#30 of 44 Old 08-20-2009, 12:09 PM

I think no matter what names you choose, there will ALWAYS be critics. If a name is meaningful to you and YOU think it is beautiful, use it. If you feel pressure from others and end up choosing a name that is less meaningful but more socially acceptable, you may never feel the same way about it and it might never seem like the 'right' name, ya know?

My policy with this pregnancy has been to tell people that the name is NOT up for debate. And you can tell me everything you hate about it and all the horrible people you ever knew that had the name and so on...but this is the name. So if you wanna kill my joy that is fine but I will remember that when my baby is born and they STILL get the name we've chosen. So probably better for them to just keep their mouths shut ;-)

Mama to a beautiful baby girl born 01/21/2010

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page